- Text Size +

 

 

EPILOGUE: TO INFINITY AND BEYOND


JUSTIN:


The first thing that should be noted is that I’m okay… we’re all okay. After many years, this chapter of my life has finally been written and put to bed; at last, the book is now closed. A lot has happened over the last year- some good, some bad, but all worth it in the end. I suppose I should start with the surprise that basically served as a juggernaut  to make the wheels of the law turn quickly, for a change. Hell, it definitely gives credence to the saying that it’s the quiet people who should be watched closely.


So after Seven and I arrived at the hospital to be checked out from our ordeal, we were surprised to hear that the Police Commissioner decided to see who would arrive at the hangar, following Connor’s mandate. Considering that he was yelling, and berating whomever was on the phone, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Had we known then what we later discovered, we probably would have suggested that he leave all the gateways to New York City closed indefinitely. Little did I know that Officer Brown’s mother and sister had escaped the Telson estate located in Western New York, and that Marvin Telson had officially met his maker. The devil must have been having a fit that all of his minions were meeting him on the same night. 


Anyway, after getting Seven’s arm set- in his struggles with Martin, he’d dislocated his shoulder in order to get away- Brian was in the process of ushering me to Gus’ room. It was a relief to know that there weren’t going to be any lasting effects from the drugs that were still scantly within our systems, and that Seven’s injury wouldn’t require surgery. Thankfully, Commissioner Kelly and Aunt Bethany arranged for us to be initially questioned at the hospital, even though we would still have to make formal statements down at the precinct later. So it was incredibly unnerving to hear blood-curdling screams, just as we were passing by the cubicle where the trauma unit was working on Connor. At the time, all I could think was Good for his ass; that’s right, suffer motherfucker! But it wasn’t sounds from him that we were hearing. 


It turns out that not even a half an hour after reopening the bridges, tunnels, and waterways Ted Telson had barreled into Mount Sinai hospital, demanding that he see Connor. Apparently, someone closely related to the case had alerted the man that his nephew was brought into the emergency department. It didn’t help his cause, that as he was coming in, he almost ran over the two women who had been missing for eleven years. Although an officer, there wasn’t much that Officer Brown could do at the moment, short of shooting the fucker in the head as he tried to regain the two women. The more he yelled at them, the more the women shrank in on themselves. 


Knowing firsthand the type of abuse they suffered, Seven and I had changed directions to intervene. But we need not have bothered, because there was another there who Telson, his brother, and a few others had offended in unimaginable ways. The blonde avenger, who had uttered nary a word, pulled a stiletto from somewhere on her person, and began stabbing the man anywhere her hand could reach. Even after the man was clearly dead, she continued pushing the slender blade into his body as Officer Brown recovered his own shock, and tried to get her off of him. I looked over to Brian, who had the same exact look of disbelief on his own face.


“Who is she?” I asked him, unsure of if he even heard me. But when he answered, it was my turn to be completely shell-shocked.


“Lynette Algers nee Peterson.”


“Oh my God, that’s Lindsay’s sister?” Seven  asked, watching the scene avidly.


“Yes, and the former Senator Johnson’s mistress, who was in a situation similar to yours, thanks to her asshole father.”


“Oh fuck!” I muttered. “Ron Peterson is dead, as is Jim Stockwell. You don’t think…”


“I don’t know, but if ever there was someone with reason to kill them, she has them in spades.”


“Brian, we have to do something. She shouldn’t be punished for doing the world a public service.”


“I know, Blue. But really what can we do? She’s done this in a hospital, which just happens to be teeming with law enforcement because of your own ordeal.”


“But…”


“Blue, look, they have the journal that Brandon and Connor kept on their victims….”


“It wasn’t only their victims, but various transactions involving others, including Lynette.”


“Then let’s hope that they consider this justifiable homicide, and she’ll get off for the murder of this asshole. As it is, unless they can prove that she was responsible for the others, she won’t be charged with those unless she tells them she is.”


We left the conversation there, and went to visit our son, who was resting when we got there. I remember feeling completely overjoyed that the little tough tyke had survived his ordeal with the woman who had given birth to him. As far as I was concerned, it was the only thing that Lindsay’s miserable life had value for, since she gave me the thing- the little person- who was only to remain a dream and wish that would never come to fruition. Brian looked at me, discerning my thoughts as he pulled me close, and uttered in my ear, “My Blue.”


“Mo Thine agus Fonn Mo Chroi,” I responded back. And it was true that Brian is my fire, just as Gus is heart’s desire fulfilled.       


WIthin three weeks, we were meeting Melanie back in Pittsburgh. After Gus was officially on the mend, Brian had sent Melanie back home to be with Leda. Although her injuries were extensive, and she would require intensive therapy to be able to resume her very active lifestyle, Leda was lucky in so many ways. There weren’t any lasting cognitive effects from having to be put into a medically induced coma after her first round of surgeries. But the most important thing- at least for Leda- was that Lindsay’s attempt at vehicular manslaughter hadn’t resulted in the severance of Leda’s spine. A person like Leda wouldn’t have been able to cope. She’s a true mover and shaker in every sense of the word. And although it would be awhile before she could get back on her Harley, even now she’s made tremendous strides to resume her life. 


Which brings me up to the trials, punishments, and attempted suicides. I almost have to laugh at some of this because, although I’m happy now, I wasn’t when I was denied the right to end my own life. I suppose that with the life I’m living now, I should really thank Connor and Brandon for saving it, but… well, my feelings and opinions about them will NEVER be tinged with gratitude in any form. So anyway, here’s what happened:


Michael… or should I say, Debbie and Michael, since she’s still not speaking to him, and has only visited him once since he’s been behind bars. Michael will spend the next seven years in the Men’s State Correctional Facility, although his court-appointed lawyer is trying to get his sentence reduced with time served for the first year. So far, the Court of Appeals is not even considering it, which if you ask me, is a good thing. They have taken into account the complete picture of Michael’s part in all of the fallout. 


Everything from his accepting a bribe from Brandon to entrap me, the defamation of character and slander of my situation, and most of all the fact that even prior to knowing the full story of my plight with the James Brothers he broke into my loft in the company of Lindsay has shown just how unstable Michael really is. I wasn’t going to press charges, since I hit him with a broomstick, but Melanie said that I had to advise the court about it since it showed the character of Michael even before his idiocy of being involved with Brandon and Connor. According to her and Brian, he would try to play victim, which could cause our case to be looked at sideways despite the evidence. So I agreed to have the charge filed and included. I’m glad that it all worked out for the best, and that he’ll learn a lesson or two about boundaries in the process. Also, Melanie filed restraining orders for all of us upon to be effective the moment he is released from prison.


Ethan is in jail, where he will remain for the next twenty years. Because of his lack of remorse for his crimes he was given the maximum penalties for breaking and entering without intent to steal, which is three to five years; three years for identity theft in reference to Jonas Monroe, and finally two years for forgery and Interstate fraud in regards to a deceased person. But the mother of all was his identity theft with intent to harm charge, which came about because of his association with Lindsay. The judge reasoned that if he hadn’t released the videos at Lindsay’s behest, while pretending to place blame on an innocent man, several men would still be alive, Leda wouldn’t have been the victim of assault with a deadly weapon, and Seven and I would not have been so preoccupied with what happened to Gus that we were less than vigilant when it came to our own kidnappings. He was slapped with a twelve year jail sentence, which was the harshest punishment he could have been given under the law, and all of his sentences were ordered to be served consecutively, instead of concurrently. 


So as little as he had when he began his campaign to win me, he will be leaving jail in another nineteen years with even less. The record label that was considering picking up his contract just before Jonas Monroe died has decided that he isn’t even worth waiting for. Fortunately for the prisoners, he isn’t allowed his instrument, which was also sold to cover the restitution to the Telecommunications company, where he kept Jonas’ account going even after he was deceased. 


As for the major players in this drama… well, I’m happy to say there were some much heavier sentences handed down. I suppose I should start with Michael’s best gal pal, since she’s going to have to serve a total of fifty-five years divided over three states: New York, Pennsylvania, and California. Mel’s firsthand account of the meeting between Connor, Ron, Craig, and Lindsay, among other things, including the testimony of Officer Rush of NYPD, the bank receipts, and emails all served to plainly lay out Lindsay’s accountability of her actions, despite her constant pleas of innocence. Of course, she tried to blame it all on her fear of her father, Craig, and the James’ brothers, but no one bought the fabricated explanations, especially after hearing the testimony of David Cameron, Misty Thurman the flight attendant, the pilot, and the surgeon himself about the severity of Gus’ injuries upon his arrival to Mount Sinai Medical Center. The final nail in her coffin was the voicemail she’d left for Connor when she was in Pittsburgh. 


His attorney happily supplied the prosecutor with the damning evidence to dispute Lindsay’s claim of enforced culpability. There was just no excuse, and apparently, no remorse even through her tears.



Interstate fraud charges was the lesser of her crimes, for which she received five years. Obstruction of Justice also incurred another five-year sentence. The attempted vehicular manslaughter of Leda and subsequent abuse of a minor added another ten years to Lindsay’s sentence. But the fifteen year sentence came down as a result of the kidnapping of Augustus Marcus Taylor-Kinney, whose name had officially been changed so that the name of the woman known as his biological mother was no longer reflected. Conspiracy to Unlawfully Detain, me, Gus, and her sister, Lynette Algers, gave her a sentence of twenty years due to the severity, and all subsequent events. 


And as with Ethan, none of her charges will be served concurrently, but consecutively, which means that Lindsay will be roughly around ninety years old before she sees freedom again, if she ever does. 


Craig Taylor was given ninety-five years for all of this. He was the mastermind in initially getting me kidnapped and unlawfully detained. He also had to answer for the attempted murder charge since he knowingly put Tylenol in the bottled water, which could have had a fatal effect. In reference to Taylor Electronics, he was convicted of Embezzlement, Altering Records, Racketeering, and Corruption of Government Officials- the last one a charge that Roy Russo was happy to corroborate since it meant just a little more time off of his own seventy-five year sentence. As for siphoning my trust fund, along with Molly’s, and his eventual plans for her, there was no disputing those facts either. Since the money is long gone, it also added to his sentence for fraud and thievery. 


But I think the thing that hurt and shocked me the most throughout it all, is that he was also responsible in a way for Seven’s detainment, and that of other young men within our set. Several fathers that he’d done business with had the same closeted bigotry he exhibited, and as a result, they’d gone to him for help. Within Brandon and Connor’s journal, it showed that Craig had been involved in the human trafficking transactions one-hundred and twelve times. I was the last one. To know that he hated me and others like me so much that he would facilitate this kind of treachery… to know that his sperm resulted in my birth, was gut-wrenching for awhile. But with Brian and Daph’s help, I’ve been getting through it. But there are days when it’s still a bit hard to take and accept as one of HIS many shortcomings, and not my own.


Brandon James… what can I say about him that hasn’t already been said in some form or fashion? The man gives a new meaning to the term sick fuck! In addition to the two-hundred and forty-three counts of human trafficking, he was also charged with sixty-four counts of murder, including Jason Kemp’s, and more than five-hundred rapes, in addition to my own repeated episodes with him. Because of the nature of his crimes, they even unsealed his juvenile record. To know that he was doing this since he was little more than twelve years old, to both men and women over twenty states, was astounding as well as sickening in the extreme. It makes me wish that I had killed him! The only thing that makes it easier is that he’ll serve time in each of them, and possibly face the death penalty when he’s tried and convicted in Texas in thirty years time, which is the sentence he received for the death of Jason, and the repeated rape of me and Seven.


As for Connor… well, he’s reaping his just desserts in a variety of ways. He’s no longer able to see or talk. Apparently, when I was banging his head against the concrete, I crushed his occipital lobe, while the kicks to his head affected the temporal lobe, where speech is controlled. Also walking without falling is going to be a trial since his cerebellum has also been affected. Upon learning that he would never be able to do those things which made Connor James an international star, at his first opportunity he tried to overdose by pressing the button for morphine repeatedly. Sadly for him the nurse on duty at the time, put a stop to that shit immediately, and he was taken off the drip.


Shockingly, but not really, he had his court-appointed attorney file a civil suit against me asking for more than half of my fortune- both accumulated and acquired, just before his criminal case began. Fortunately, the case was thrown out when all of the facts were brought before the civil court judge, right after the depositional phase. He claimed that I’d ruined any chance that he would have to work again in his chosen profession. The judge responded that with the time he was likely to be given, there was no way he would be working in the movies ever again. The fact that he had to basically write all his responses, slowly and painstakingly, was not lost on any of us within the courtroom. From my vantage point, I could see that the judge had no sympathy within her for Connor’s plight at all. And it went a long way in restoring my faith in the justice system.


Instead of just the key witnesses, and victims of Connor’s crimes coming forward and testifying, Brian, my mother, Daphne, and Tory were all on hand to give their accounts about what they’ve witnessed in terms of the emotional trauma I continue to endure as a result of Brandon and Connor’s maltreatment. Commissioner Kelly and Aunt Bethany gave firsthand accounts about what was found within the penthouse apartment I was held captive in. All of it combined painted an indisputable picture of the horrors that apartment had seen many times over the years. Also, because of Connor’s association with Judge Russo, all of the convicted parties whose testimonies corroborated mine and Seven’s accountings were released after a thorough investigation was done. That included a thorough search for the people attached to the names within the journal in my possession. 


Like Brandon, Connor will be serving his three-hundred and seventy-five year sentence in over the twenty-two states each series of crimes were committed in. At Marlon Abrams and Leo Brown insistence, it was determined that at no time would Connor James nor Brandon occupy the same state at any time for the rest of their natural lives. Not only that, but Marlon sued Connor for any and all contracted money backdated from his first motion picture for his involvement in human trafficking, vowing to disperse it all among those victims who could not help their situations at the hands of these men. Several more arrests, including that of Senator Alex Johnson and other high-powered officials were made in conjunction to these cases. All I can say is that it resulted in several states having to hold emergency elections before November.  


And although Lynette did admit to the brutal murders of Jim Stockwell, Ted Telson, Marvin Telson, and her father, Ronald Peterson, she hasn’t served one day in jail. And she won’t! Nancy Peterson had come forward on her behalf to testify to what she herself had endured at Ronald’s hands, and how the household was run prior to Lynette’s first marriage and beyond. The ONLY one who had never received the business end of Ron’s fists, or even the unbenefit of his dick was his protege-in-training, Lindsay. And that fact alone spoke volumes to the judge. So they are both here with us, richer for the experience, since his will had left all of his worldly possessions to be divided between the two of them, but saddened for all of those they couldn’t save in the process. I understand the sentiment, wholeheartedly.


So here we all are, in Aruba, the place where my happiness truly began. As I look over at my best friend, it’s with gratitude, relief and love. In a lot of ways, Daphne has saved me. Because of her, I was able to accept the love Brian gives me. Because of her, I have mostly let go of what’s happened, even if I can’t forget it entirely. So it’s a pleasure to be here to walk her down the aisle to be joined in marriage to Alejandro. If anyone deserves love and happiness, it’s Daph.


“Ready?” I ask her, as she takes in the scene Emmett has created for her. Our contract with the Renaissance Hotels, and their parent company, has worked wonders for both the hotel chain and Kinnetik.


“More than. Any last words of advice?”


“Just a few that you gave me some time ago.”


“I’ve said so many things over the years,” she laughed. “How can you remember?”


“Because it was probably the single most important piece of advice you have ever given me.”


“Okay, my Yoda-esque friend. What did I say?”


“To let him love you in all the ways he can, and surprise him by loving him in whatever way he needs,” I tell her, while looking at my husband as he comes over to escort her down the makeshift aisle along with me.


“Wiser words were never spoken, Blue,” Brian says, coming to a rest before us. “Let’s get married again.”


“Let’s get Daph done first, and then we’ll talk about it.”


“What’s to talk about?” Daph interrupts. “It’s already arranged.”


It’s then that I notice the two wedding cakes: one with a standard bride and groom, but the other adorned with a set of grooms, a pineapple, and the song Brian and I first danced to, playing softly in the background. “It’s been more than one night, you know?” I whisper, not trusting my voice to speak in a normal tone.


“You’re right,” Brian answers. “That one night changed the rest of our lives… and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”


Brian and I stare at each other, not realizing that Daphne was tearing up softly between us, until she spoke. “Let’s go get our new beginnings, guys.”


And as we walked her down the aisle, my eyes were still trained on the man taller than both of us, and I thought, To new beginnings indeed!

 

THE END  

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thank you ALL for taking this incredible journey with me! I couldn't have done this without your constant encouragement, and faith that this story was worth all the angst and delays due to my real life obligations.

A VERY SPECIAL HUGS goes out to Lorie and Sandy, who continue to guard my gift of writing whenever possible. Also to the Admin staff of KD- otherwise known as the LLLC- who continue to keep me sane in some of my darkest times.

LOVE YOU ALL and HAPPY READING!

~Nichelle

The End.
Nichelle Wellesly is the author of 25 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 25 members. Members who liked SECRETS LIES AND ALIBIS also liked 905 other stories.