- Text Size +

BRIAN


I got to the loft to find Lindsay, Michael, Deb, and Ted there, having a party. This was not what I wanted when there was something I needed to know.


“Where's Gus?” I ask.


“We wanted to welcome you back home. Gus doesn’t need to see us drunk.” Lindsay tells me, raising a glass.


“We’re going out tonight, just like old times.” Michael tells me.


“Too bad Emmett and Justin aren’t here.” I tell them.


“Who wants them around? Emmett is not one of us anymore.” Michael tells me.


“Emmett thinks he's Mr Big Shot, now that he landed a rich guy.” Deb tells me.


“Welcome back Brian. Sorry, but I can't stay for this. I won’t sit here listening to them shit on Emmett or Justin.” Ted tells me, looking pissed.


“Emmett isn’t talking to you either, so why are you acting like you didn’t do anything?” Michael asks him.


“I'm hoping that someday my best friend will accept I was an idiot for listening to you.” Ted tells him, leaving.


“Ted, stop.” I tell him, following him outside.


“I can't stay here.” He tells me.


“I'm not asking you to, do you know where Justin is?” I ask.


“No, none of us do. After what happened, they left, never contacting us.” Ted tells me.


“You've seen her?” I ask.


“The baby?” He asks.


“Yes her, or Justin?” I ask.


“Only once in Justin’s arms, he wouldn't let anyone near her.” He tells me. “Why?” He asks.


“She's mine.” I tell him.


“That's why Emmett was so pissed.” He tells me.


“What does Emmett have to do with this?” I ask.


“Brian, when Justin left here, Emmett went with him. Emmett said he was tired of Pittsburgh and wanted to see what else is out there. They went to Georgia, so Justin could go to college and have the baby. As far as I know none of us knew Justin left pregnant. I think Emmett knew and it’s really the reason he went, he wanted to make sure Justin was okay. They came to visit with Justin’s mother and Michael ran into them. All I know is Michael ended up with a broken nose and Lindsay was telling us that Justin told her he didn’t know who the father was, since you and he were sleeping with all those guys.” He tells me.


“Justin only topped with other guys, he never bottomed for anyone but me.” I tell him.


“Fuck Brian, if I knew I would have at least called you and made you listen. Not that I was listening to the right people anyway.” He tells me.


“Emmett took care of them, I owe him for that.” I tell him.


“Emmett took care of them because that’s what Emmett does. Brian, Emmett isn’t going to help you with Justin.” He tells me.


“I don’t need him to. Justin might be pissed at me, but he’ll call eventually.” I tell him.


“I don’t see that happening.” Ted tells me.


“Why?” I ask.


“After what happened with Emmett, Justin tried to calm Deb down, and she told him he meant nothing to her. That she only let him stay with her because Jen paid her.” He tells me. “Brian, she was angry that Michael was hurt and wasn’t thinking.” Ted tells me.


“I don’t fucking care, did she not realize that Justin had enough rejection in his life to not have her do it too.” I tell him walking in the building.


“Brian, you need to catch up.” Michael tells me, handing me a bottle.


“Before I drink to anything, catch me up on what happened with Emmett and Justin.” I tell them, trying to control the need to kick them out.


“Emmett decided that your blond stalker was worth losing us for.” Michael tells me.


“What did Justin do that bothers you so much?” I ask both Michael and Lindsay.


“You never wanted him around, so why are you upset now?” Michael asks.


“Jesus Brian, can't we just have fun and forget the reason you left us?” Lindsay asks me.


“Deb, you want to add anything, you might want to do it now, while you still have the chance.” I tell her.


“Brian, Emmett broke Michael’s nose for no reason.” She tells me.


“I don’t believe that he didn’t have a reason. How about I call Justin’s mother, she probably could tell you the reason.” I tell her.


“We only need to make sure Gus is happy. Stop worrying about someone you barely wanted around.” Lindsay tells me.


“You know, I did leave because of Justin. I didn’t want him dragged down by the life I was showing him. I didn’t want to turn him into me one day, I fucking loved him enough to let him go, to find all the things I didn't think I would be willing to give him. The only reason I would have stayed, isn’t in this loft.” I tell them.


“Well your only reason for staying must have been busy, since he got knocked up by someone. He wasn’t faithful to you.” Michael tells me.


“He had MY child Michael, and you want to know how I know? I know because Justin never let anyone touch what he considered mine. It was the one thing that he wouldn’t let anyone do.” I tell him. “Lindsay don’t think I don’t know what you told him to do with my daughter. You knew he was pregnant and when all he wanted was for you to call me, you refused, and offered to pay for him to get rid of her. I only came here to make sure both of you understand if you do anything to make it harder for me to be a part of their lives, I’ll make your lives harder.” I tell them.


“Brian, what about Gus?” Lindsay asks.


“Gus and I have nothing to do with the person who told Justin to kill his sister.” I tell her.


“What?” Deb asks.


“Lindsay apparently wanted Justin to abort my child.” I tell Deb. “Why would Justin having a child bother you Lindsay? Gus didn’t make you special in my eyes.” I tell Lindsay.


“Why can’t you just be happy not to have to take care of the little shit.” Michael spits out.


“Because he never wanted me to take care of him. He just wanted what I couldn’t tell him. Something I had given you and Lindsay. Something that Deb lost when she treated Justin as if one more rejection in his life wouldn’t have hurt him. I can’t be the person you think I am, I need to be the person my daughter and son need.” I tell them opening my door.


“When you wake up and realize he’s a fucking lying whore, I’ll be there waiting.” Michael tells me, leaving.


“Don’t wait for me, I have a life that waited too long for me to come home.” I tell him.


“You need to remember, Gus needs you.” Lindsay tells me.


“Which would be more believable if you’d brought him here to see me. Tell your wife I’ll contact her to see Gus, and if it’s still a problem for her, I’ll make sure you have to come to me to see Gus.” I tell her.


“Brian, we’ve always been here for you.” Deb tells me.


“And I’m done paying the price for it.” I tell her.


I pulled out my phone. He might not answer a call, but he was still answering the texts.


“Tell Emmett thank you.” I send.


“You can when you come here. Hannah wants to meet you.” He sends.


“Just tell me what I have to do.” I text.


My phone rang and for the first time in eight years it read Justin.


JUSTIN


The whole way to Pittsburgh, I kept telling myself it was a mistake, but for Hannah, I’d deal with the shit I left behind. I got to my mom’s house and told Hannah to go inside. Charles told me to give Brian a chance to be a father. So when Brian told me he was returning to Pittsburgh first, I drove home.


After reading the text asking what he had to do, I knew I couldn’t hide from hearing his voice anymore.


“Justin, just tell me where I have to be.” He tells me as soon as he answers.


“She’s here, you can meet her at my mom’s.” I tell him.


“What does she know?” He asks.


“The truth, you left and didn’t know about her. That you might not want to be a father, and she’s prepared if you don’t.” I tell him.


“Justin, it’s bad enough what I did to you. I wouldn’t do that to my child.” He tells me.


“Brian the only example I have is what I saw when we were together. I know you love Gus, it’s just, you left everything up to her.” I tell him, still not able to say her name.


I saw red hair and prayed it wasn’t who I thought. “I have to go, apparently Deb seems to think I exist again.” I tell him.


“Justin, tell her that she needs to go, I won’t have Hannah meeting her.” Brian tells me.


“Trust me, none of them get near her.” I tell him hanging up.


“Brian needs to understand that we are family.” She tells me.


“Why are you here? Just like I’m not welcome, neither are you.” I tell her.


“Justin, you need to tell Brian the truth about who’s kid you had.” She tells me.


“You don’t have the right to stand here, lecturing me. Remember, you banished your rent check.” I tell her.


“I was angry, but no matter what Michael said, Emmett didn’t have the right to lay hands on him.” She tells me.


“Deb, leave before I call someone to have you removed from my yard.” My mom tells her.


“Jen do you really want Justin involved with Brian again?” Deb asks.


“It’s not my business or yours what they do, they’re adults. As long as it’s good for their daughter, it’s not a problem for me.” Mom tells her, going back in.


“What did you name her?” Deb asks me.


“Nothing you need to know, since I don’t plan to let her around you and your family.” I tell her.


“So you're going to tell Brian he can’t bring her around us too?” She asks.


“I don’t have to, because he just told me not to he didn’t want her near you.” I tell her, going into the house and shutting the door.