- Text Size +

BRIAN


I woke up when Justin got out of bed, it's like the minute he leaves I can feel it. He was grabbing clothes and throwing me sweat pants.


“Put those on, Hannah has never had a reason to knock when she gets up.” He tells me.


“What time does soccer practice start?” I ask.


“Around ten, I'm in charge of the drinks. I have a cooler in the garage and drinks in the pantry for it. I'll be back in time to take you guys.” He tells me, getting dressed.


“Why are you leaving so early?” I ask.


“It's the only way I can get done and back in time. Emmett will be over to help with breakfast. I texted him that he didn’t need to come over now. Hannah should be up in a hour.” He tells me, leaning over me kissing me good bye.


Getting up, I went to look around the house and the kitchen. There were two other rooms but one was locked and I decided to wait and ask Justin about it. In the living room there was a desk with two chairs behind it and the entertainment center had a big screen over his fireplace. I sat on his sofa and found the remote under a cushion, which had to be Justin’s doing. He always dropped things where he was and then couldn’t find them later. I saw a sketch book on the table in front of me and opened it.


“That one is mine, Dad leaves his in his studio so he doesn’t lose it all the time.” Hannah tells me, sitting next to me. I kiss my daughter good morning.


Flipping through it, I could see she was developing in a way that would rival her Dad one day. “You’re good.” I tell her.


“It’s fun, but I know I’ll never feel about it the way Dad does. He told me once that if he wasn’t drawing that he felt like something is missing. For me, it’s just something I do normally when I don’t have something else to do.” She tells me.


“Like answering calls from strangers?” I ask.


“Normally it’s Auntie Em or Nana, not strangers.” She tells me.


“I’m sure he gets calls from other people.” I tell her, curious.


“On his other phone sometimes, but I’m not allowed to answer that one.” She tells me.


“Hello, anybody awake?” I hear when the front door opens.


“Auntie Em, we’re in the living room.” Hannah calls him.


“I came to make sure you got something edible for breakfast. Justin informed me that Daddy here still hasn’t learned to cook.” Emmett tells us.


“Like I told him, I didn’t need to when he was always doing it.” I tell him.


“Brian there is more to life than take-out menus.” He tells me.


“Um, can I see if Trina wants to come over for breakfast?” She asks, looking like she didn’t know who to ask.


I look to Emmett, because I have no idea who Trina is. “Sure Baby.” He tells her, as she runs to her room. I got up and followed Emmett to the kitchen. A couple minutes later Hannah was running past us, dressed and out the back door.


“Trina lives on the other side of the fence. So does Trina’s single father, who seems to think he and Justin have so much in common.” Emmett tells me, rolling his eyes.


“How does Justin feel about that?” I ask, already deciding that Trina’s dad and I might need to talk.


“I jokingly call him Mikey Jr.” Emmett tells me.


Hannah came in, dragging her friend Trina behind her. When the door opened again, well, let’s just say, he was not someone I would call Mikey in anyway. He was my height, built, with brownish red hair. He came in as if going to a business meeting. He smiled at Emmett but when Hannah introduced Trina to me, I could see the question in his eyes about me. Hannah and Trina ran off to her room, yelling to let them know when breakfast was ready.


“Brian this is Miles, father to our angel Trina. Miles this is Brian, father of Hannah.” Emmett tells us.


“Where is Justin?” He asks Emmett, not even looking at me.


“He had to go meet up with Charles, they had to finalize the graphics on a project this morning.” Emmett tells him, making me wonder why the guy needs to know anything about Justin.


“He should have called, we could have gone in together. I hoped that Justin and I could have dinner together tonight, with the girls. We single fathers have to stick together.” He tells us.


“I’m sure he has plans with Brian and Hannah.” Emmett tells him.


“Justin is nicer than I would be in this situation. Sorry, but if Trina’s father had left me with a kid and not contacted me in eight years, there is no way I’d have him sitting in my kitchen.” He tells me.


“Well Mark, I guess MY JUSTIN is just nicer than you.” I tell him.


“Miles.” He tells me.


“What?” I ask.


“My name is Miles, not Mark.” He tells me.


“And why would I care?” I ask him.


“I just thought it would be good to know who we are, since we’ll be seeing each other while you're here for your visit.” He tells me.


“I’m not visiting, Justin and I are living together.” I tell him.


“Miles, why don’t you get the girls, breakfast is ready.” Emmett says when Miles and I stare at each other. Miles smiles at Emmett, and goes to get the girls. “Brian, Trina is Hannah’s best friend, so find a way to deal with the asshole. Justin put up with Michael for you.” He tells me.


“Justin punched Michael, I can handle it.” I tell him, smirking.


JUSTIN


I signed off on the account and checked through my email to make sure that there wasn’t anything I needed to do before leaving to get Brian and Hannah for practice. Miles came in and sat in front of my desk.


“I met Brian, I can’t believe you're letting him stay with you.” He tells me.


“He moved here to be with us, where was he supposed to stay?” I ask him.


“You realize that you could confuse Hannah into thinking you and Brian are together.” He tells me.


“Brian and I ARE together. I don’t really understand why you're even asking me about it.” I tell him.


“I’m your friend and I just don’t see how you could let a guy back into your life that left you when you were young, pregnant, and alone.” He tells me.


“He had no idea he left me pregnant, and regardless, why do you feel you have any say in who I allow in my home?” I ask.


“Anyone who is your friend should be questioning you making those decisions. Justin, as your friend, I’m just concerned about you.” He tells me.


“Then let me straighten something out for you. It’s really none of your business who I see or what I do. I honestly don’t understand where any of this is even coming from. The only thing I ever told you was that I was raising Hannah alone because the other father wasn’t involved.” I tell him, annoyed.


“I overheard you and Emmett talking in your house before you took Hannah to meet him. It sounded like the guy was an asshole. You were saying that you would have to prove it to Brian that he was the father. How the hell does a guy not realize you could have gotten pregnant?” He asks.


“We used condoms, but like anything, there is a failure rate. Although I’m more concerned that you were in my house, listening in on a conversation that was private.” I tell him.


“I didn’t realize I was walking in on a private conversation, and left because I didn’t want to bother you when you seemed upset enough as it was.” He tells me.


“Have I ever walked into your home without knocking?” I ask.


“No, but…”


“Then why would you think you had the right to walk into mine?” I ask him.


“I’ve always come over before and it wasn’t a problem.” He tells me.


“When Trina came over to play with Hannah, yes, and that I would understand. What I don’t understand is why you would come over and enter my house when Hannah was over with another friend, not Trina.” I tell him.


“I just wanted to invite you to a dinner my friends were hosting. They set up a time and I was going to ask you to be my da… to meet some people.” He tells me.


“Oh shit, you didn’t think… I hope I never made you think I wanted… you know I only see you as the father of one of Hannah’s friends right?” I ask.


“Justin, I thought we were friends, and possibly more.” He tells me.


“I never thought we were more than two people who worked together and had children who were friends.” I tell him.


“I need to go.” He tells me getting up and leaving.


I packed up my desk and went to get Brian and Hannah. I don’t get where Miles got the idea that he and I were anything. Emmett was still over so he came with us to the soccer field. When we got there, the coaches were discussing practice with the girls and Brian sat with Hannah listening. Ten minutes later Brian was out on the field with the girls and coaching the coaches. Emmett and I sat on the sidelines, just amazed at the way Brian could get anyone to listen to him and do what he said.


“Emmett, Miles came to my office.” I tell him.


“About Brian or work?” He asks.


“Brian. He was kind of creeping me out. He apparently came into the house when you and I were discussing Brian calling. He seemed to think coming in my back door was okay.” I tell Emmett.


“I haven’t said much, but Justin, doesn’t this remind you of Michael and his constant showing up. Miles used to show up all the time when I was there to take care of Hannah.” He tells me.


“Why didn’t you tell me?” I ask him.


“Because he did it when you were around and you didn’t seem to mind.” He tells me.


“He was bringing Trina over, that’s all I thought it was. I didn’t know he thought I was interested.” I tell him.


“Baby, you’ve spent the last eight years blind to men who were interested in you. You can tell me all you want that you were too busy for a relationship, but the truth is, you shut out the possibility and ignored all the signs. Trina might have been how you met Miles, but Miles wasn’t bringing Trina over just to play with Hannah. He was interested, and waiting on you to show him you were ready, by sticking around trying to be your best friend.” He tells me.


“You and Daphne are the only people I trust in that capacity.” I tell him.


“We’re both honored, but in a way, I think Miles thought that you and he were closer.” He tells me.


“Where did he get that idea? Every dinner we attended was a business dinner with other employees, and the only time outside of that was a block party we went to with the kids and other parents. I just don’t see why he would have thought I would be interested.” I told him as Brian sat next to me.


“Miles?” He asks us.


“Yeah, he came to my office and started asking why you were here.” I tell him.


“He’s confused as to why Miles is interested.” Emmett tells Brian.


“I never indicated I wanted anything from him. I was put off by his constant bitching about his ex, and was really only nice to him because we work together and our children are friends. How the hell do you get interested out of that?” I ask.


“The same way Michael thought Brian was interested because he never dated and listened to Michael’s constant bitching.” Emmett tells me.


“Don’t worry Sunshine, I’ll keep the Mikey’s of the world away from us.” Brian tells me when I groaned into his chest.


“But Trina and Hannah are friends.” I tell him.


“Then Miles needs to decided if he wants to hurt his daughter because you don’t want him.” He tells me, kissing my forehead.