- Text Size +

BRANDON


Ted was reluctant to come with me to the diner everyone was going to lately. I didn’t get why, we've been together practically every day, except when I came to the diner.


“Do you just not want to meet my friends? Because they'll be at the party, so you'll meet them sooner or later.” I tell him.


“It's really that Michael and I haven't really been friends for a while. When I'm around him now, he irritates me. You said he's usually there.” He tells me.


“Jason and Kevin let him hang around, they said it's easier than him just popping up all the time. They really don't get Michael’s views on friends and how he thinks things are supposed to be. He really has some strange ideas about me.” I tell him.


“Let me guess, your reputation and how dating me would ruin it.” I tell him.


“It's like he thinks I'm only as good as my reputation. One that will eventually go to someone else, when the next guy shows up.” I tell him.


“It's how he views what Brian was doing when he lived here. Michael had some idea in his head that it was the only thing that mattered.” He tells me.


“It couldn’t have been, because Brian was working his ass off, and making a name for himself in advertising. To me, being a leader in your field sounds better than how many tricks you averaged.” I tell him.


“You seem to like being the guy everyone wanted.” He tells me.


“Yeah, but it's not a life that you find anyone you give a shit about, they only care past saying they made it to your bed.” I tell him.


“I don’t think Brian really wanted anyone to get close to him. For him it worked that he was alone.” He tells me.


“Then why Justin, because it always sounded like Justin annoyed Brian.” I tell him.


“Brian was anything but annoyed with Justin, but I'm sure that how Michael likes to tell it.” He tells me.


“I really don't get the way Michael talks, like Justin was some stalker who wouldn’t get a clue no one wanted him around. Brian and Justin fit each other.” I tell him.


“At first Brian treated Justin like he was a pain in his ass, but as time went on, he was always bringing Justin with him everywhere he went. Justin was getting into Babylon because the door guy knew Brian wanted Justin there. Michael was being pushed aside into the ‘only friends’ category, which wasn't what he thought would happen. Michael always thought one day Brian would suddenly want him, and only him. Michael never seemed to figure out that the label ‘best friend’ was all Brian was willing to give him. I think another problem was that Michael was a child in comparison to Justin, who was only seventeen when he met Brian. Justin was out, while Michael hid in a closet outside Liberty Avenue. Michael had to watch Brian watching Justin and nothing Michael did made Brian pay attention to him, when Justin was around. I get how Michael felt, because I was doing the same thing with Michael at the time, until Brian made me face the truth, that it was never going to be me for Michael. Of course, now I can't remember why I thought Michael was the one I wanted.” He tells me.


“He's not bad looking, it’s just he opens his mouth and nothing interesting comes out.” I tell him as we reach the diner.


Michael was talking to Kevin and Jason when we came in. He looked up smiling, but frowned when Ted came with me. Ted sat next to Jason and I ended up next to Michael, which had him smirking at Ted.


“Kevin said you were throwing a party. I thought we could invite some of the guys from Babylon.” Michael tells me, putting his arm around me.


“I wanted my friends to get to know Ted, not destroy Brian’s loft. Which Ted got Brian to let us use.” I tell him, removing his arm.


“Why would Brian let you guys use his loft?” Michael asks, upset.


“He suggested it when Ted and I mentioned having a party, said he might come by.” I tell him.


“Hey, I need to go, my shop needs to open.” Michael says, getting up in a hurry.


“Invite someone if you want, but don’t bring a bunch of guys that would piss Brian off.” I tell him, letting him out.


“So Ted, care to explain all that is Mikey to us?” Kevin ask.


“He’s kind of unexplainable.” Ted tells them.


“Thank God, we thought maybe we were the only ones who didn’t get Mikey.” Jason tells Ted.


MICHAEL


I called Brian’s phone but the number wasn’t working. I wanted to make sure he would stay around so we could talk, and he would realize that Justin and his kid would just get in the way of showing everyone Brian is the true stud, not Brandon. Brandon doesn’t understand that you can’t date someone like Ted if you want to be the ultimate playboy. When I couldn’t get Brian I called Lindsay, since she was the only one who still talks to me. I told her about the party and she told me she was coming, because Brian needs to listen to her about Justin. It’s the one thing she and I always agreed about, that Justin needed to leave Brian alone. I told her she could come with me so we could make Brian listen to us.


I walked by Liberty Diner, still bummed that the owner closed it for remodeling. I didn’t like the new place, it wasn’t the diner and it was like saying that life was over. I kicked a rock and kept going, running into my mother with Justin’s mother. I don’t get how Ma could be friends with Jen, they have nothing in common.


“Hi son, are you going to work?” Ma asks.


“It’s where I go every day.” I tell her.


“Great have a good day, Jen is helping me get ready for a date.” She tells me, walking off.


“What do you mean a date?” I ask, running after her.


“Michael, I’m sure you know what a date is, your mother has one. Have a good day.” Jen tells me, getting in her car.


“Ma, who the hell asked you out?” I ask.


“I met someone when I stopped letting you be the only thing in my life.” She tells me, kissing my cheek and getting in Jen’s car.


I was stunned, Brandon acted like Ted was interesting, then Brian treats our friendship like it didn’t exist, and now my Ma has a date. I don’t get it.


BRIAN


I was shouting like those parents you shake your head at, during Hannah’s first game. Sonny Boy was helping. Justin kept laughing at me and Gus, but Emmett and Charles seemed to understand when our girl made the winning goal. She came off the field and gathered her things then walked over like she didn’t just kick ass. One of the other kids came running with her along with the girl’s parents. Charles and Emmett hugged Hannah before leaving.


“In-coming, Sonya’s a great kid, but the mother makes me look like I don’t gossip.” Emmett whispers to me, before strolling off.


“Dad, Sonya’s parents want to go celebrate, can we go?” Hannah asks us.


“We’d love to have you guys come with us, I’m Kathy and this is my husband Cole.” Kathy introduces us.


“This is my Daddy, Brian and you know my Dad, and that’s my brother Gus.” Hannah tells them.


“We were going to take the kids for pizza.” Kathy tells us, as a boy runs up.


“This is our son Trent.” Cole tells us.


“Gus, do you want to go?” Justin asks him.


“Yeah, pizza sounds good.” He tells him, as Hannah shrugs.


We got to the restaurant and Hannah and I order a salad and wings, while the rest of them go to carb heaven. Hannah asked the waitress if the salad was pre-made or did they actually make it here, not just combine it in a bowl. Then she wanted to know if the dressing was from a bottle, when they told her it wasn’t made here, she asked for vinegar and oil on the side. The wings were baked which was great because we didn’t have to find out what kind of oil they used. I can be picky, but my daughter brings a whole new meaning to the word. When they asked me, I just told them to bring what Hannah was having, and of course Justin and Gus got a giant pizza with extra everything. The other parents ordered one pizza and Gus told the waitress that we needed two.


“Justin never mentioned you.” Kathy tells me.


“Brian and I weren’t together so I didn’t.” Justin tells her.


“Justin, you have to know everyone is wondering about Brian.” Kathy tells him.


“I’m sure they are, but I really don’t like talking about my life.” Justin tells her.


“Honey, it’s no one’s business.” Cole tells her.


“So Brian, what do you do?” She asks me, ignoring her husband.


“Nothing really, I just hang out and let Justin support me. I wanted to see if life was really as boring as housewives run around telling everyone.” I tell her.


Kathy didn’t seem to know how to respond at first, but then rallied. “Miles was telling us that you might start working with them.” She tells me.


“Not really my thing, working for someone.” I tell her, and I could see the loser points adding up in her head.


“I’m sure it wouldn’t be so bad earning a living.” She tells me.


“Why, it’s not like I can’t just let Justin be the breadwinner. What do you do, maybe I could do that?” I ask.


“I… I’m a housewife.” She stutters.


Justin was busy trying not to spew his coke all over the table along with Cole. After that, Kathy actually stopped being a bitch and seemed to get that I wasn’t going to give her anything to take back to the hens and Miles. I can’t wait to tell Miles who owns half the company, I’m sure it will just make his day.