- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

JUSTIN


I was at the vet’s to get Fluffy since Brian wanted to keep our girl from delivering a batch of puppies. Jasper had put a diaper on her and I’d never seen Brian so relieved to see one. Nathan came with me as we dropped Fluffy off for her overnight visit and wanted to be there when I picked her up. Nathan walked around the waiting room, asking everyone why they were here and told one woman that shots weren’t a nice thing to do to anyone. I dragged him away when he saw kittens and tried to sneak one out. Brian has never been a fan of cats and barely managed to deal with Fluffy, who lived up to the name with her massive coat of hair. Brian decided on a Golden Retriever after looking up online every dog to make sure it was the right dog for us. It killed him when he saw the coat. Fluffy won him over when she fell in love with all our kids. I turned and looked down at Nathan, who was giving me a sad look while holding up a kitten.


“Nathan, you need to give that back to the nice lady,” I tell him.


“But Papa, I NEED him.” He begs.


“But Nathan, your Dad only wants one pet, and besides, Fluffy might not like him,” I tell him, trying to stop him from putting the kitten near Fluffy.


“See, Fluffy likes him.” He crows, as Fluffy licks the kitten.


“Your Daddy is going to kill us,” I tell him, not being able to resist.


We got home and I honestly didn’t know how Brian was going to take this. I put Fluffy on her bed and the kitten curled up under her as if he knew she wasn’t feeling up to speed yet. When Brian came home with Penny neither seemed to notice the new addition, but he had gotten covered by hair and blended in with her coat. I almost hoped Brian might not notice for a while, you know, like until Nathan went to college. Nathan seemed to get that we didn’t want to let Daddy know yet and was sitting next to Fluffy, petting the kitten under her fur. Brian looked over, worried that Fluffy might not like Nathan petting her on her belly after having surgery.


“Nathan, maybe just her head for now,” Brian tells him.


Nathan looked down and acted surprised and pulled the kitten out. “Look Daddy, she had kittens!” He yells.


Brian stared and stared, then laid his head on my shoulder shaking with laughter at the way Nathan seemed to think he would believe it. He didn’t even try to argue, just accepted that Cosmo was a part of our family. I really have to thank Emmett for thinking of that name.


BRIAN


I was sitting in my office going over a campaign when my mom came rushing in. She was nervous but managed to stop blushing long enough to talk.


“I wanted to know if it was alright if I brought Stuart over to meet the kids, or if it was okay if we took the four kids out together? He wanted to meet them, but I don't want you to feel like I'm stepping over the line.” She tells me, as Lindsay comes in.


“Everything is going well with Stuart?” Lindsay asks.


“Yes, and thank you for helping me get ready.” She tells her.


“Jenny loved having you around, and it was fun. Maybe we should have a family party to meet Stuart.” Lindsay suggested.


“I don't want to put any of you to any trouble. Stuart has had to listen to me go on and on about the children and thought it would be nice to meet them. We were hoping to take them on a picnic.” She tells us.


“I'd like to meet the man who has my mother blushing,” I tell her.


“We would all like to meet him. If he plans to stick around he can’t not meet all of our crazy family.” Lindsay tells her.


“Mom, get used to it, you signed on to be in my life,” I tell her as she sniffled.


“It's just wonderful to know I finally have my son.” She tells me.


“Why not go let your other son in on the love fest,” I tell her.


“He never could stand tears.” She tells Lindsay, getting up to go see Justin.


JOAN


I went to see Justin. Lately, I've tried to help him with his mother and maybe understanding her. He always tries to make it seem as if it doesn’t bother him, but I could see he wished for what I found was possible with Brian if I stopped treating everything else it mattered more than him. I want that for the man who loved my son, the way his family wouldn’t.


“Hey Mom, how have you been?” Justin asks, wiping my tears. I’m thrilled that he accepted me in his life.


“I'm happy, and excited to introduce you to Stuart. Lindsay and Brian thought we should have a gathering so everyone could meet.” I tell him.


“We could do it Saturday. My mom is here and it would be a reason to include her. I'm hoping she'll be okay with things. It would be easier if there were more people around.” He tells me.


“She’s trying, give her a chance. Brian managed to do it for me, and I did a lot worse.” I tell him.


“You did everything to help him want you around. She's still doesn't see why I haven't just let it go. I'm trying, but sometimes it's hard to forget she just let me go, without fighting it.” He tells me.


“Parents are just people with flaws, and don’t want to believe they didn't do their best. She'll realize what she's lost because you're a wonderful son.” I tell him.


I dried his tears and said goodbye. I needed to help my boy, and I knew who could help. Deb was working when I came in and came over with tea for me and sat down.


I had a lot to thank this woman for, she never gave up on Brian and me reconciling. I remember loathing her for knowing about Brian’s life in a way I wasn’t allowed. She came to me one day at church to tell me about Justin and the happiness Brian had, despite everyone else. I felt vindicated when she told me about her son. She wasn't the perfect mother that had my son's love. Only she still did have his love, regardless of her son. Brian still wanted her around and gave her a place in his life. It wasn’t what made me want to change but had me drinking more, blaming Deb for getting what should have been mine, my son's love, and respect.


Deb visited me at church every time something wonderful happened in Brian’s life. At first, I thought it was to rub it in that he still wanted nothing to do with me, but later I realized it was so I could at least have pieces when I didn’t deserve more from Brian. It was listening to how Brian rose above what he learned in our home and loved his family that made me walk into the rehab. Brian wasn’t letting his past be a reason to continue the Kinney tradition, and I wanted to know the man he became. It wasn’t easy to tell Blake the truth behind the curtains, but he never judged me, just offered a shoulder to lean on when I needed it. It was eye-opening to see the people who loved my son, for being the friend they needed. Blake wanted me to talk to Brian, but I wanted Brian to not see the mess I was, but a person who got her life together. Once I did, I went to face Brian, expecting him to spit in my face the way I did to him. It showed me how much better Brian was than our family because he gave me the chance to prove to him that I'd changed. Justin and Brian gave me a life inside of theirs and I want that for Justin.


“I need to see Justin’s mother,” I tell her.


“We could call Molly. Jen and I really haven't made friends.” She tells me.


“I was hoping to help her find a way to have a relationship with him,” I tell her.


“Then let me call Molly and we’ll make her listen.” She tells me.


Deb and I made our way to Molly’s apartment, where Jen was staying. She opened the door, surprised to see us there. I didn’t give her a chance to make an excuse why she didn’t have time for us, but walked in and sat down on the sofa. Deb dragged her from the door and sat her down with us.


“Is there some reason for this visit? I was planning on seeing if Justin wanted to go to lunch.” She tells us.


“I wanted to help you with Justin. Deb and I know that you and he aren’t as close as you want to be.” I tell her.


“I really don’t feel that it’s Deb’s or your business what goes on with Justin and me.” She tells me.


“Justin is my son and loves Deb like a mother, so we feel we have the right to help him. You think he’s going to just let you walk in and be around the family he created when you and your husband let him go. It’s going to take more than random phone calls if you want Justin to want more from you.” I tell her.


“He just doesn’t seem interested most of the time when I call him. We started talking more when he called me.” She tells me.


“I got the feeling that the calls were more you complaining about Molly than talking to Justin. He needs you to for once ask about his life, and show interest in the things he’s doing.” Deb tells her.


“Don’t take this the wrong way, but why would you feel you could offer me advice? Isn’t your son the one who was causing problems for Justin?” She asks Deb, but it was really her brushing off any advice Deb could give.


“Deb loved our boys when they didn’t have anyone in their lives, so she can talk since she knows our sons better than we do. Her son isn’t the only thing to judge her on, because you come out looking just as bad for the way you treated Justin.” I tell her.


“My son didn’t turn into a crazy stalker trying to hurt someone.” Jen defends, and I put an arm on Deb when I knew it upset her.


“Your son turned into a good man, without you. Instead of being jealous of the relationship he has with Deb, do something to fix your relationship with him, before you miss out on our grandchildren. Gus, Jenny, Penny, and Nathan can’t have enough people to love them.” I tell her.


“Jenny isn’t their child,” Jen tells me.


“Jenny is as far as our sons are concerned, and don’t ever say something like that in front of them. Brian and Justin do as much for her as they do for their other kids. Lindsay, Mel, Brian, and Justin don’t see any difference in any of the children but that they are all of theirs. It would be better for you not to come around if you disclude one of the grandchildren because Justin or Brian aren’t the actual parents to them. I won’t have you upsetting Jenny either. To me, she is my other grandchild through my girls. Their family is just different from the rest of the world.” I tell her.


“I didn’t mean it to sound like that, but they never included me in the children’s lives,” Jen tells me, deflating.


“Justin and Brian wouldn’t stop you if you showed them any reason to let you in their lives. They gave Joan a chance to be included. She’ll tell you that Brian has more reason than anyone to shut the door in her face.” Deb tells her.


“I don’t understand,” Jen tells us.


“I’m an alcoholic, who let my husband abuse my son while I drank and ignored my child being beaten. When he was older, I hid behind God and treated Brian as if he would never be good enough if he didn’t turn away from the life he was living, the one that made him happy. I managed to straighten out my life and find a way to have my son in it. I want that for Justin. He needs you but isn’t going to keep letting you in, if you stay the way it’s been. If that is what you intend to do then stay here and Deb and I will love Justin the way he needs and have the grandchildren that you will only know in pictures. Do Justin a favor, stop telling Craig anything about him. That book is closed and Justin will not open it again.” I tell her, as Deb and I get up to leave. I did what I could, the rest was up to her.


“Craig is his father.” She tells me.


“The only difference between Craig and Jack Kinney is the physical beatings, but then words are sometimes worse,” I tell her, walking out.


“Do you think she’ll get it?” Deb asks me.


“You made me get it, so there’s always hope,” I tell her, getting one of Deb’s hugs.


“He needed you, you just needed to see it.” She tells me, smiling as we walked.


“You made sure he knew his life wasn’t to be as Jack’s punching bag and gave him a reason to open his heart to our Justin,” I tell her.