- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Well, I've re-emerged and managed another chapter, of sorts. I'm sorry it's short, but I felt guilty for not posting anything yesterday, so I thought I'd get what I had up now. Hope you enjoy! TAG.

Chapter 33 - Spying.


This morning, Brian was taking a huge risk and trying something completely unprecedented in the Kinney history books. He was having brunch with his pseudo-mother-in-law. It was unheard of. It was frightening for all parties involved. Brian hadn't even officially admitted to having a 'relationship' before and here he was at an upscale restaurant on a Sunday morning having breakfast with his teenage fuck buddy and said buddy's mother. He blamed it ALL on the hormones.


"So, Brian" Jennifer asked congenially. "How are you feeling? I know that by the time I was five months pregnant with Justin I was ready to scream. I was so bloated and I felt so huge. I had no idea then how bad it would get, but I already felt like a blimp."


Oh, Fuck! He wasn't really sitting here exchanging pregnancy stories with his in-law. Was he? It was a fucking NIGHTMARE. Why couldn't he drink mimosas like Justin and Jennifer to help dull the horror. Why couldn't he run away screaming? Oh yeah, they were going to ask for Jennifer's help . . . Shit! He would have to sit here and continue smiling blandly. He'd never be able to talk Justin into a trip to the men's room for stress relief purposes. It was just going to be a long meal.


"So, Mom. I just landed a job doing some freelance art work and Brian got this big bonus from work," Justin, noticing his partner's discomfort, launched into the meat of the issue. "We thought the additional money might go to good use as a down payment on a house. And, since you just passed your Realtor's Exam, we thought maybe you could help us find a place?"


"Oh, Justin! I'd love to help you find a house! This is soooo exciting! Now, what are you looking for," Jennifer switched almost imperceptively into Realtor-mode, and in the process, captured Brian's respect.


The rest of the meal was spent much more pleasantly, discussing what they did, and more importantly, did NOT, want in a house. Brian was impressed with Jennifer's grasp of the local housing market. That, along with her ability and willingness to keep their confidences so far, went a long way towards endearing the feisty little blond matriarch into Brian's good graces. He guessed he could tolerate the Mother-in-law. As long as she didn't want to talk about Justin's potty training or something equally off-putting.


Brian was so proud of himself for having survived brunch without fucking the waiter - who was, by the way, scrumptious - that he acceded to Justin's request to head over to Debbie's early for the weekly family dinner. Justin was feeling a bit guilty for having abandoned Deb and Vic so abruptly. He thought that if the two of them arrived early, he could help cook dinner and they'd all have a chance to sit and catch up. Brian was willing to try it, although he acknowledged he might not make it till dinner if they started in on him so early.


And, it might have worked, too, if Mikey and Dr. Dave hadn't also thought to show up early.


"Hey, Brian. What are you doing here so early," Michael intoned as soon as he'd crossed the threshold. "You never come early. How've you been? God, I never see you at Woody's or Babylon lately. What have you been doing with yourself . . . " Mikey's one-way conversation went on for a good five minutes before he noticed Brian wasn't responding.


"Hey, Mikey," Brian finally responded as soon as he could get a word in.


"So, Justin, how are you feeling?" David asked, taking the chair next to the boy who was busy grating asiago cheese into a small metal bowl for Deb.


"I'm okay . . . Why are you asking. I told you, David, I'm not pregnant," Justin patiently explained for the zillionth time.


"Well, I know what you've said, but all the news reports and all . . . Just yesterday they were showing pictures of you at the hospital. And with Brian giving statements about how, 'Everybody's healthy', it looks suspicious, you know. Plus, you've never really denied it all to the media. I'm just curious," David pushed for some real answers.


"What good would my denying it do?" Justin half-explained. "Everyone's convinced that I'm the Male Pregnancy, so why waste my breath trying to deny it. They wouldn't listen. You're not even convinced after I've denied it to you personally."


"But then, what were you guys doing at the hospital?" Dr. Dave persisted.


"What Justin was doing at the hospital is none of your fucking business, Dr. Cameron!" insisted Brian, who'd just come in at the tail end of the conversation. "I'd figure that YOU of all people would know there are laws about medical privacy - HIPAA, and all that shit - so why are you bugging Justin with all these questions?"


Brian had insinuated his body between David and Justin and was standing there with his arms crossed, glaring icily down at the nosy chiropractor who was still seated. The position, with him seated, his eyes roughly level with Brian's waist and the tall, brooding brunet looming over him, was uncomfortable. David's own inner 'alpha-male' roared up in response and he stood, too, bristling at Brian's show of macho superiority.


"Why so defensive, Kinney?" David demanded, his voice raising at the perceived threat. "What is it your little boy toy has to hide?"


"Justin doesn't have anything to HIDE. I just don't like you constantly badgering him. Don't you have your own 'Boy Toy' to play with? Leave Justin alone!" Brian snarled back, keeping his defensive stance, his body physically blocking David from getting to Justin still seated behind him.


"Fuck you, Kinney. Can't Justin talk to anyone he likes without you going all insecure? To use your own favorite phase, 'you're pathetic'," David spat back.


"Hey, Sis," Vic yelled from where he'd been watching, seated across the table. "You'd better get a bucket of ice water to throw over the two cave men over here. They're about to start beating their chests and throwing rocks. Before you know it, they'll be whacking at each other with their clubs and then dragging Justin and Michael off by their hair."


The absurd image Vic had raised with his joking words was better than the bucket of ice water would have been. Both of the cave men realized instantly how silly they were being and backed off. Vic, Michael and Deb stood in the kitchen laughing uproariously at the chagrined looks on the two antagonists' faces. Brian stomped off towards the family room and Justin quickly followed. Michael came over to console his cave man, while David continued to warily watch Brian from afar.


Justin approached a still fuming Brian cautiously, his right arm snaking around the taller man's waist while his left hand trailed comfortingly down Brian's chest, resting almost automatically on Brian's mid-section. Justin's touch seemed to work instantly, causing Brian to visibly relax. The two whispered for a minute, their foreheads intimately bent together for mutual support.


"Hey, Deb. We'll be back later for dinner," Justin hollered and then led his cave man out the door.


When Brian and Justin did come back later, they were of course the last to arrive. Which didn't seem to bother a red-faced, well-fucked looking young blond who had apparently used his many skills to while away the rest of the afternoon as he consoled his now contented cave man. Brian was smirking and happy and didn't even look in David's direction when they came in and grabbed the last two seats at the table.


The rest of dinner passed uneventfully. Brian didn't even get upset when Mel teased him for taking a third helping of the delicious penne. When he wasn't eating, Brian spent a lot of time holding and playing with baby Gus, being more attentive than usual to his offspring, some thought. But, since there were no more big arguments, everyone declared this dinner a success, and then they all started packing up to leave.


As soon as they arrived at the older man's house, David sent Michael on up to bed and then pulled his cell phone out of his pocket.


"Yeah, Larry. It's me . . . I tried to talk to the boy tonight but didn't get much. Sorry. His guard dog, Kinney, wouldn't let me near the kid most of the night . . . I don't know . . . Yeah, something still just feels off. I can't put my finger on it yet, but there's just something . . . Sure thing . . . I'll let you know if I come up with anything new. Yeah . . . Talk to you soon, Larry," David concluded then ended the call.


David tossed his cell onto the table behind the couch and poured himself a drink. There was something fluttering around in the back of his consciousness that was still bugging him. He couldn't quite figure Justin Taylor out. David knew there was just something . . . But he still hadn't sussed out the solution by the time he finished his drink. He shook his head, left the glass on the table and headed up to join Michael in bed.


Whatever it was, it would come to him, eventually.

 

##########BBBBB##########

Chapter End Notes:

 

9/13/13 - I'd like to go on the record here and say, 'Kids, don't do sugar!' It's bad for you! Very, very, very bad and also not at all pretty! Oh sure, it seems fun at first. The high you get from drinking a half a box of cheap wine and eating a bag of donuts is great for a while. You're typing away furiously, thinking everything you write is the funniest thing ever said. But then, when you burn through the sugar high, the crash that comes afterwards is devastating. Very unflattering. I mean, I have nothing against alcohol, per se, and recreational drugs within moderation might be okay, but hypoglycemic loads of sugar are just too fucking dangerous! Stay away from them. But, after sleeping sixteen hours straight, eating a salad with diced turkey for protein and drinking two glasses of skim milk, then going back to bed for another twelve hours, I'm back and feeling almost rational again. So, the biology lesson we get today is that it's a very bad thing to mess with your blood sugar levels. Just say 'NO' to eating bags of donuts! *Author blushing with embarrassment* TAG.