- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The Armani Ad is done and the GQ issue is due out any day now. You knew that the boys were going to have to tell the family soon. Well, it's happening today! Will Michael's head explode when he hears the big news - you'll have to read to find out! Enjoy! TAG

Chapter 45 - Who Knew?


It was probably a good thing Brian was working from home that week. It would have been hard for him to work at all in his office because he was now so uncomfortable that he could only sit up at his desk for short periods. In between, he'd take his laptop over to the couch or even up to bed where he'd lie down in an attempt to relieve the almost unending back pain he was now experiencing. When he did make it over to the desk, Brian would inevitably bring along his trusty body pillow and use it to prop his belly up against the edge of the desktop. It wasn't the most dignified pose, but luckily, his video conference participants could only see him from the middle of his chest up.

 

While Brian was shuffling around in the loft trying not to be too uncomfortable, Justin was out running around doing all the errands. He had to get books and supplies for his classes at PIFA, which would be starting next week. Then he'd meet with his mother to view or discuss the ongoing construction at the new house and inevitably have to run out with her or the contractor to look at tile samples, appliances, lighting fixtures or whatever needed a decision next. Half the time Justin would feel the need to run a sample of whatever it was back to the loft for Brian's opinion before he finalized any plans. When he wasn't busy with the construction plans, he was running errands for Brian, picking up things from or dropping off stuff at the office, grocery shopping, cooking and cleaning up around the loft. Thankfully, with Brian home all week Justin got to drive the Jeep, or he never would have made it. But, if this was any indication of how busy his life was going to be once the baby arrived, he wasn't sure how he was going to manage.

 

Then again, it was really nice to come home to Brian every evening. They'd have dinner together, watch movies, read or talk. It was so comfortable, so unlike times before when they'd been together. It felt like they were a couple, maybe even a family, and Justin reveled in the peaceful security. He didn't have a clue what their lives would be like after the baby was born, but for now at least, it was tranquil and they were together.

 

"No, Mikey! No, I DON'T want to go out tonight," Brian was saying into the phone as Justin came in late on Friday evening after a last minute meeting at the house. "Because, Mikey, I've been sitting staring at my computer all day and I've got a bitch of a headache and my back is killing me. The last thing I want to do is go to a noisy, smoky bar with you and your new beau. . . . Well, I'm glad Ben said he thought I was a 'cool' guy and you think we'd get along great, but I'm not the one who wants to date him. You don't need me there getting in the way, Mikey. . . Well, call Ted and Emmett. They don't have lives. I'm sure one of them can be your 'wingman'. . . Really, I'm fine, Mikey. I'm just tired. . . . No! No, Mikey! You do NOT have to come over here and keep me company tonight. Really. Just go out and have a good time with Ben and don't worry about me. . . Yeah, later, Mikey."

 

Justin had already deposited his shopping bags on the kitchen counter and moved over to rub Brian's shoulders while he finished his phone call. When the older man disconnected the call, he sighed and pinched tiredly at the bridge of his nose. Brian's back muscles were incredibly tight and he even flinched a little as Justin rubbed a particularly sore spot.

 

"You look like you overdid it today, Big Guy," Justin observed worriedly. "Why don't you go lie down for a bit and I'll get dinner started."

 

"Please don't yell at me, Justin, but I really don't feel like eating right now. This headache is killing me and that chili you left for lunch was a big mistake. I've got the worst heartburn. And, when I tried to lie down earlier it just got worse."

 

"All right," Justin conceded. "I won't make you eat. Not right now at least. But, come over here to the couch and lie down on your left side. I read somewhere that, because of the way your stomach is shaped, if you lie on your left side, it's less likely to let the acids and gas that cause heartburn escape up your esophagus. Now, let me turn off the lights and I'll get you some Tylenol that I picked up today for your back - it's the only OTC pain reliever that Chiefy will let you take. I'll put on some quiet music and then you can just rest. How does that sound?"

 

"Better," Brian replied, already feeling better just at the thought of having Justin there to care for him.

 

Justin came back from the kitchen with the bottle of Tylenol he'd luckily picked up just that afternoon and a bottle of water. "I'm sorry you feel so shitty, Brian. Do you want me to get you anything else?"

 

"No. Just stay, okay. I was kind of bored being here alone all day. . . " Brian said quietly, letting Justin help him lean up to take the medicine and drink a substantial amount of the cool, refreshing water. "Tell me about the house."

 

"It's coming along. I'm amazed at how fast the contractor's crew is working. It's wonderful how motivating those completion bonuses you offered have been for all the workers."

 

"Nothing motivates like green, Sunshine," Brian agreed. "I think I finished up everything I need to get done this week. Tomorrow I can come with you to see the place."

 

"That would be fantastic. I keep worrying that I'm making all these decisions without you and you're going to end up hating it all," Justin said as he seated himself at the far end of the couch and took Brian's bare feet into his lap, rubbing them absentmindedly as they talked.

 

"I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever you pick out. Just think to yourself, 'what would Emmett choose', then go with the other choice, no matter what, and you can't go wrong." Brian joked.

 

"I'm telling him you said that," Justin threatened but Brian just shrugged. "But, speaking of Emmett, he called me this afternoon. It sounds like Michael's on another one of his rumor-generating sprees. Since you haven't been seen in public - or at least not by Michael - in more than a week, he's convinced you're dying again. Or so Emmett claims."

 

"Yeah. He called me three times today. I finally gave in and answered the last call. If I hadn't, I'm sure he would have sent emergency services over or something. Or worse, he'd have sent Debbie."

 

"Heaven forbid!" Justin joked. "You do know we're going to have to show ourselves to them all sooner rather than later, right? It's not going to work to just let them all find out with the rest of the world when the magazine comes out. That is, if Michael will even wait that long before storming in here."

 

Brian scowled. "He won't wait, you're right. I could hear it in his voice when he called tonight. He's just dying to drop in for a visit. . . . Can't we just move to Brazil or something, Sunshine. I REALLY don't want to do this. . . "

 

"I know. I don't either," Justin agreed. "But neither one of us speaks Portuguese, Brian. I don't think Brazil is an option."

 

"Fine. Sunday dinner?" Brian grudgingly suggested. "Everyone will be there and we might as well get it all over with at once."

 

"It's okay with me. I'll invite my Mom and Daphne so at least we'll have some back up," Justin proposed. "So, do you have a plan for what you're going to say?"

 

"Nope. I have no idea . . ." Brian looked thoughtful and then just laughed. "How about I just strip in front of them while everyone's seated around the table, cry and point to you saying, 'It's all his fault, Ma!' That should cover everything."

 

###########BBBBBBB###########

 

Sunday evening, Brian and Justin sat in the car outside Deb's until they were sure everyone else had already arrived. It was a hot day in late August, so Brian had a good excuse for sweating so much. He'd dressed as simply as he could - why try to hide anything now - wearing only a pair of Stitch's specially altered jeans and an oversized, short-sleeved polo shirt. It was too hot out to even wear a jacket or sweater to help camouflage his condition.

 

Brian looked up at the house one last time, sighed and then started to get out of the Jeep.

 

"Brian, wait," Justin held his wrist lightly, preventing Brian from getting out of the vehicle. "I just want you to know, I love you. I know you don't necessarily want to hear me say it, but it's true and I want you to know it. And, no matter what happens in there, I'll be here for you. You know that, right?"

 

"Yeah, I DO know, Sunshine," Brian said and leaned in for a last kiss from the beautiful and loyal young blond. "Thanks. . . . Now, let's get this shit over with!"

 

Hand in hand they walked across the street and up the front steps. On the porch, they arranged themselves so that Justin was standing in front of Brian, blocking his body from view. Then, Brian put his right hand on Justin's shoulder, gave a little squeeze and followed as Justin opened the door then entered.

 

"Hey, Deb," Justin called out as they came in through the door, announcing their arrival.

 

"Sunshine! Brian! You guys are late, but it's okay. We all just sat down. Come and grab some plates!" Debbie hollered a welcome to the latecomers as she handed a gargantuan-sized bowl of pasta around the packed table.

 

"Um . . . Before we join you . . . Uh, Brian and I have something to share with you," Justin started off hesitantly. "So, you remember when there were all those rumors that I was the male pregnancy here in Pittsburgh . . ."

 

"Oh my God!" Emmett squealed and launched himself up from his seat. "It's true? You mean you really are pregnant? I knew it! Honey, we're all so happy for you. You don't worry about a thing. Everybody is here for you, Baby. But, you have to tell us, how HAVE you hidden it so well, honey . . . "

 

"No! Emmett, no. I told you," Justin interrupted before Em could go all squee-girl, "I'M not pregnant."

 

"But, I AM," Brian spoke and at the same time stepped forward so that he was standing next to Justin, his right arm wrapped around the smaller man's shoulders for support, his left hand curled around the bottom of his round belly, emphasizing its ripe, curved shape.

 

It was absolutely silent throughout the house for several minutes. No one knew what to say. The looks of disbelief, confusion, shock and amazement on most of the faces were so overwhelmingly evident that it was comical. Of course, nobody was laughing.

 

Emmett, who had just been on the verge of blathering out his personal theory that Justin really was pregnant but had somehow hidden it for so long, looked the most skeptical. While he wasn't in the least bit judgmental, you could tell he was trying to figure out the joke. It just couldn't be. It had to be a practical joke of some kind, right?

 

Ted meanwhile seemed amused. If it really was a joke, he was the only one who got it though. Seeing the once great Stud of Liberty Avenue - the man he'd always envied - so obviously knocked up was the height of all irony. Ted Schmidt was not only laughing at the joke, but at himself for all his years of unfounded jealousy.

 

Vic also looked amused but a bit concerned as well. He'd known Brian since he'd been a skinny, self-conscious, unsure boy. Vic had also been on the receiving end of more than a few of Brian's youthful confidences. He, more than probably anyone else there, knew that Brian wasn't ever as confident and strong willed as he seemed. Vic knew that the frightened, insecure boy he'd befriended was still hidden inside this man. Vic suspected how truly hard this disclosure was going to be on Brian and his big heart went out to the scared little boy he knew was hiding behind the bravura of the man standing so boldly in front of them.

 

Mel seemed as skeptical as Em but also a little bit angry. It was as if, whatever the joke was, she somehow suspected she was being made the butt of it. Mel was the no-nonsense one, the one who prided herself on her rejection of the truths others took for granted. She considered herself to be observant, critical, analytical and above all things logical. How had she missed seeing this before? It couldn't possibly be true. Brian couldn't be THIS pregnant without her noticing before. It had to be some kind of trick. No way was Mel going to buy this load of horse shit.

 

Michael and Lindsey, who happened to be sitting next to each other, were like mirror images of hurt confusion. They were both blown away by this disclosure, unbelieving and amazed at the same time. There was disbelief in both their faces, but for different reasons.

 

Lindsey was sure that Brian - her Brian - couldn't possibly be pregnant, but at the same time she was hurt that he might be and hadn't told her. Lindsey had always felt she was Brian's confidante, the only person he would admit his real feelings to and the only one who truly understood him without being judgmental. Lindsey always knew that her bond with Brian, the father of her child, was closer than anything the man shared with their other friends. Even closer than what Brian shared with Michael. She got Brian in ways no one else could, or so she'd always thought. But, if that were true, how could he have hidden THIS from her for so long? And why had he chosen to hide from HER? Could this somehow affect Gus? Was that why Brian hadn't told her? Lindsey didn't only doubt what she was seeing, she also now distrusted the one man she thought she would ways trust.

 

Michael, on the other hand, simply refused to believe what he was seeing. It wasn't true. It couldn't be. Brian Fucking Kinney - HIS Brian - could NOT possibly, never, not in a million years, be pregnant. Michael had idolized Brian for more than half his lifetime. He had bought every single one of Brian's 'rules'. Michael accepted that Brian was exactly who he said he was and would never be any different. If Brian said he didn't DO love or relationships or dates or boyfriends or . . . whatever, then he just didn't. Brian had never lied.

 

The thought that Brian might someday change his mind about any of these rules never even occurred to Michael. Michael had needed Brian to be his hero and so far, Brian had always lived up to the role his friend needed him to play. Which meant that Brian was stuck playing that same role for life, at least as far as Michael was concerned.

 

So, if Brian Kinney said he didn't bottom, well, he just didn't. Therefore, he couldn't possibly be pregnant. It simply didn't make sense to Michael. And, if he was pregnant, then . . . then everything Michael had believed about his friend and idol for all these years was . . was . . . was a LIE! Michael's entire world would collapse if Brian were pregnant. Brian couldn't be pregnant. He just couldn't.

 

That left only Debbie Novotny as the odd man out of this disbelieving bunch. Debbie, Brian's pseudo-mother, the only person who Brian had ever trusted to care for him before he met Justin Taylor, didn't seem confused or skeptical or doubtful. Debbie was smiling radiantly at the two men and looked smugly proud.

 

"Congratulations, Kiddo!" Debbie finally broke the silence. "Took you long enough to get around to telling all of us! I was worried I'd be a grandma again before you actually admitted that Sunshine had knocked you up. Ha!"

 

"You knew?" Justin asked in stunned admiration. "Deb, how long have you known?"

 

"Of course I knew, Sunshine," Debbie laughed boisterously as she trotted around the table to give both boys a huge hug. "I've been there, done that and already got the fucking t-shirt, Baby! I'm the original unwed mother who tried to hide her pregnancy, scared shitless I'd be found out, until I did finally cave and told my mother, which by the way didn't turn out all that well for me. Anyway, I've had my suspicions ever since the Stud here spent his first month and a half puking his guts out."  

 

"And, as soon as the news came out in the tabloids I knew it wasn't you, Sunshine. You'd be crowing about this to everyone who'd listen. But not my Brian. Brian Kinney would be much more circumspect. He'd bide his time - wait until he had the perfect opportunity to make some big splashy, extravagant announcement."

 

"Fuck you, Debbie," Brian said with affectionate amusement. "You don't know me THAT well!"

 

"Oh yeah? So tell me, Justin, when DOES the big world-wide public announcement with trumpets and cymbals crashing happen? It's got to be coming soon or you two would still be hiding out at the loft," Debbie insisted.

 

"She SO does know you, Brian," came from the far corner of the room, accompanied by peals of laughter in two different voices as Jennifer and Daphne finally gave into their amusement. Daphne wasn't going to let Brian get away with anything, "She's totally got you! It's happening on Tuesday, Deb! By way of the September issue of GQ Magazine! It's going to be so awesome. It'll blow you away when you see. . ."

 

"*Ahem* That's enough out of you, Ms. Chanders!" Brian admonished her sternly but with a mischievous smile. "You do remember the part about everything being 'confidential' and not telling anyone until after the issue hits the newsstands? I'm sure I remember going over that part with you."

 

"Sorry, Brian. I'm just so excited. It's going to be so amazing!" Daphne enthused as she bounced around in her chair.

 

"Wait! You mean it's true?" Emmett broke back into the conversation. "It's really, really true? Brian is pregnant? Oh my word . . . I mean, wow. . . Brian Kinney is pregnant!"

 

"You do seem to have a firm grip on the obvious, Honeycutt," Brian chuckled, relieved that the truth was finally out there. "You want to come feel the baby kick?"

Chapter End Notes:

9/24/13 - I know I'm writing and posting too fast for some of you. Some readers probably haven't even finished reading the last chapter I posted, but I couldn't wait to get this one up. So, please send me lots and lots of comments about how upset you are that I'm updating so frequently. I'm sorry. It's completely out of my control. This was one of those chapters that had already been practially written in my head from the first day I conceived of the story. It wrote itself very quickly. In fact, too quickly - It was getting too long so there will have to be a part 2 dealing with the aftermath of Brian's announcement and some of the family's reactions. Also, I only read through it once before I raced off to post it so I apologize for any and all typos. I'll come back for them later. Hope you liked this. TAG