- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Why was Brian soooo happy after having collapsed at his office? Why was it that he collapsed in the first place. Does Jenn still 'hate' Brian. Will Mikey ever learn to keep his mouth shut? Why are corn-fed boys from Iowa so damn huge? These questions and many others will be answered in this episode of. . . Prego Stud! Enjoy! TAG


P.S. Credit for the idea of Emmett being made 'Fairy Godmother' goes to Galesgal and the idea of putting Brian on bed rest due to preeclampsia was suggested by Wellreadbunny! Thanks for inspiring me, guys! TAG

Chapter 51 - Disasters Averted (For The Moment).


"Hey, Sunshine," Justin was welcomed with a cheery wave and a smile from Brian, who was reclining in the hospital bed, looking remarkably well for someone that everyone assumed was dying. "You're just in time. Techy is going to give us another picture for Kevan's Baby Book."

 

"Brian? Are you okay. W-W-What happened," Justin stammered out, completely unprepared to find Brian awake and in such good spirits. "Cynthia said you passed out. Is the baby okay? What the fuck's going on?"

 

"Is jussss fine. It snoooo big deal. I'm fffffine," Brian slurred, waving his arms in huge gestures with every word, obviously feeling little pain at this point. "Hhhhheyyyyy, Chiefy. Did you come to look at the pitchers? Techy's gonna get us more pitchers. I'm thinking of taking up srap . . . scraps . . . You know that thing where you glue shit in a big book? Whasss it called? Hmmmm? Oh yeah, scrap-booking. Yeah, I'm gonna do that. I'm gonna take a metric fuck ton of pictures and shit - fuck, maybe I'll even save his first shit - and put it all in a big book so Junior'll know . . . I don't know . . . so he'll know his Dad is a big nutcase or something? *Hehehe* You wanna scrapbook too, Sunshine?"  

 

"I'm administering pain medication and a vasodilator to decrease Brian's blood pressure," Chiefy explained apologetically to the semi-amused blond man who was trying to wrap his brain around a picture of Brian Kinney scrapbooking. "Brian's collapse earlier was due to severely high blood pressure. I'm still awaiting the test results, but I suspect preeclampsia. Since he's almost at thirty-seven weeks, my recommendation is to do an immediate C-Section delivery. Brian doesn't seem thrilled with that idea, though. Do you think you can talk to him, Justin?"

 

"No fucking way!" Brian interjected. "Kevan's not ready yet. I nnnnott gonna out him 'fore he's ready. When he wants to be Borned, he'll jusss do it. S'noooo rush, right Shunshine?"

 

"Fuck, Brian!" Justin sighed and moved to the side of the bed where he could hold his loopy partner's hand. "You scared the shit out of me! What AM I going to do with you?"

 

"Kkisssz me, Shunshine. Thasss what yer gonna do. I needa kissss," Brian started pawing at Justin, trying ineffectually to pull his lover down where he could get to those luscious coral pink lips, completely oblivious to all the other people in the room.

 

"Mr. Kinney, I really need you to hold still for a few moments so I can get a good ultrasound of the baby. We need to check your amniotic fluid levels and the baby's gestational development in case there's a need for an emergency delivery. So, please, you need to keep still for just a few minutes, okay?" the familiar ultrasound technician pleaded as Brian twisted away from the sensing wand.

 

"Oh, good," Brian responded, distracted from his quest for a kiss by Techy's request. "Issszzz time for the pitchers. . . Fuck! Look how big Kevan's got. How the fuck is THAT gonna come outta me?" The ultrasound image on the computer monitor seemed to jerk Brian back to a state of semi-lucidity and he fell silent as well as still.

 

Everyone waited until Techy was done with his work before saying anything further. While they were waiting, Justin quickly texted Cynthia that Brian and the baby were okay, and asked her to call Justin's mother and Daphne. Justin was sure he was going to need back up for this confrontation.

 

"I'm sorry, Doctor," Justin said as soon as Techy was done and packing up his equipment. "I don't remember anything about preeclampsia except that its bad. You'll have to explain . . ."

 

By the time Chiefy was finished explaining all about preeclampsia, Jennifer and Daphne had arrived - Cynthia had already taken the initiative and contacted them both even before Justin asked her to. Daphne was on Brian's birthing plan so there was no problem giving her access to Brian's room. The staff wasn't going to let Jennifer have access, though.

 

"Brian, is it okay if my Mom comes back here? I'd like her input on this, if you don't mind," Justin asked, pretty sure Brian wouldn't object, especially in his current frame of mind.

 

"Nah. . . Jenny's okay. She's sssa good mom. Ssssshe jussss doesn't like me cause I fucked her baby, but thasss okay. She can come visit. She'll wanna see the baby pitchers too, Shunshine. You can bring Jenny on back, Chiefy. But notttt Mikey or Linnn-Lindsey. I don't like them anymore. They can't see the baby pitchers." Brian made this final proclamation and then turned his head aside and started to snore loudly.

 

When Brian finally woke up from his drug-induced nap about an hour later, the real dispute started. Brian was adamant that he didn't want to rush into an early delivery. Justin suspected that part of his reasoning was based on his hatred of the idea of surgery, but he did have some valid arguments. The statistics clearly showed that the earlier the delivery, the greater were the chances of complications for the baby. Since Brian was almost at the thirty-seven week mark, it was probable that the baby would be just fine. But, Brian wanted to wait, if at all possible, for at least a couple more weeks.  

 

A long discussion with Chiefy ensued. She conceded that she could probably keep Brian's blood pressure under control with medication for a couple more weeks, although she wasn't happy about that option. There was a greater risk to Brian from a stroke or seizures over the next two weeks than there was for the baby. Brian didn't care. He wasn't going to do anything that might negatively impact his son. The result was that Brian was being released but was on strict bed rest until after the baby was born. Justin was advised that it was imperative that Brian be kept away from ALL stress in the meantime.

 

Yeah, like their lives had ever been free of stress! 'Good luck with that,' thought Justin. But, he'd do his best to make it happen. However, Justin was definitely going to need help.

 

First, Justin texted Cynthia, who was luckily still in the hospital, and sent a nurse to bring the highly efficient assistant back to Brian's room. Chiefy was paged as well. Justin figured it would take all of them working together to resolve this mess. Both Cynthia and Chiefy arrived about the same time and the powwow began.

 

Chiefy was put in charge of getting the media that was swarming the hospital off their backs. She would give a short statement to the press on Brian's behalf and then ask that they leave. She'd have hospital security to help her if needed. Chiefy went off to prepare her remarks and Justin sent Daphne with her to ensure that the statement would be Kinney approved.

 

Cynthia was, of course, going to handle everything at work for Brian. In fact, she'd already started on this task by clearing Brian's calendar for the next couple of days. That part wouldn't be a problem. The other thing Justin needed from Cynthia was help finding some muscle to keep back the unwanted press at the loft. Cynthia said she knew the perfect guys - she'd have someone waiting for them by the time they got home from the hospital.

 

The last task was the most onerous. When Cynthia had come back, she'd told them that Debbie Novotny and the rest of the Family had arrived at the hospital and were all waiting in the lobby demanding to be allowed in to see Brian. Something was going to have to be done about them - if anything was likely to cause Brian severe stress, it would be these people. Justin figured this job would be up to him. Jennifer said she would help.

 

"Justin," Brian, who had sat quietly watching the blond dynamo settle all these arrangements, finally spoke up. "You forgot one thing. Me. What the fuck do I do while all of you are out fixing everything?"

 

"Do you want to have the C-Section today?" Justin asked.

 

"Fuck no. I already said . . . "

 

"Then, Brian, you DO nothing!" Justin interrupted before Brian could start back in on the topic. "Your only job for the next two weeks is to grow us a healthy baby. You lie in bed, you sleep. You eat as much as possible. You can get up to piss or move from the bed to the couch. But that's ALL you do. I still have those handcuffs and I will chain you up to the bed again if you don't obey me on this, Brian. I'm NOT joking." Brian looked rebelliously up at his dominating little blond, but didn't say anything more.

 

"Now," Justin's tone became less authoritarian, "you just lie there and look beautiful for a few minutes while we take care of things. I'll be right back and then my Mom is going to drive us home. okay?" Justin didn't wait for the grumbling reply. He snuck a quick kiss then led his mother out to tackle the Family.

 

"Sunshine, honey, how is Brian? When can we see him?" Debbie started off with her Italian mother act.

 

"Both Brian and the baby are fine for now," Justin informed everyone, eliciting huge sighs of relief from the entire group. "There are some complications though, one of which is that Brian's blood pressure is dangerously high. That's what caused him to pass out earlier. The doctor has placed him on STRICT bed rest for the duration. And, he can't have ANY stress whatsoever - NONE - which means no visitors."

 

Justin paused there and waited for the barrage of complaints he knew would be coming after that. He didn't have to wait long. Michael was chomping at the bit and eager to complain to anyone who'd listen about how they'd already been kept from Brian for too long. When Justin announced Brian wouldn't be allowed visitors at all, it was too much.

 

"That is bullshit!" Michael declared. "Who says we can't see Brian. We're his family. We have a right to see him. . ."

 

"No!" Justin stopped the whining right there before it could go any further. "You have no RIGHTS at all! What you used to have was the privilege of being Brian's friends. But you forfeited any claim to his friendship when you and Lindsey almost killed him and our baby this morning! You self-righteous, pompous, hypocritical asses got Brian so worked up and stressed out that he fucking collapsed. He could have stroked out or suffered a heart attack - that's how bad it was. For what? So you could vent your personal opinions about how he's not fit to be a father?"

 

"Well, that's the last time you'll get a chance to say anything to Brian - your PRIVILEGES are hereby revoked. Mikey, I don't ever want to see your scrawny ass again. If you come near the loft or Brian I'll call the cops and get a restraining order taken out against you. And Lindsey, same goes for you, except for when I come to YOU to get Gus for visits with his Dad. That's the only time I want to see you."

 

"As for the rest of you, I'm sorry but you'll have to wait to see Brian until he and the baby are out of danger. I know you care about him and are worried. I'll be happy to pass on messages to him for you and I promise to keep you updated about his condition, but if you truly care about Brian you won't push this. He really can't have any stress at all. So, thank you for coming, but please, just go home now."

 

"Fuck this! Who put you in charge of the world, Boy Wonder?" Michael immediately started to protest. "I don't give a flying fuck what you say. I'm Brian's best friend. I'm not going to listen to you - the trick who overstayed his welcome. You have no right to dictate who gets to see Brian and who doesn't . . ."

 

Michael's tirade was silenced by a slap to the back of his head from his adoring mother. "Michael Charles Novotny! You shut the fuck up right now! How dare you stress out Brian this late in his pregnancy. What are you? A moron. You should know better." Debbie turned back to Justin. "We understand completely Sunshine. I had problems with high blood pressure at the end when I was pregnant with Michael. It's a bitch - I remember. So, you just tell Brian we're all praying for him, okay? And, if you do need anything, you just call. I'll send over some pasta for you guys later in the week if you want. Whatever you have to do to take care of that boy and that baby, Sunshine, we'll back you up. Now, all of you," Debbie gestured to the rest of the gathered family, "you heard Justin. Get the fuck out of here. And, Michael, I want a word with you, you little asshole. . ."

 

Debbie snuck her arm through Michael's and started walking towards the exit, towing her still protesting son with her. Lindsey, who oddly hadn't said a word, turned and walked off and Mel followed just as quietly. Justin thought that maybe the woman was actually sorry for what had happened earlier that morning. Justin wasn't ready to relent, though. Lindsey had taken things too far too many times and Justin wasn't likely to ever forgive her. Ted and Emmett both came up and hugged Justin, each whispering a few encouraging words before they turned away.

 

"Please take good care of Brian and that baby for us, Honey," Emmett added before Ted could pull him away. "If there's anything I can do, you just name it. I'm still Baby Kevan's Fairy Godmother, you know, and I CAN do non-stressful in a pinch."

 

"And, I'll try and keep tabs on Michael for you," Ted offered. "I'm sure he'll talk himself into trying to get to Brian sooner or later, but I'll do what I can to talk him out of it. Good luck, Justin. Let Brian know we're all thinking of him."

 

"Thanks guys! I really appreciate the support," Justin replied warmly and then headed back in to keep an eye on the notoriously impatient patient.

 

Jenn was impressed by her son. He'd handled dealing with the Family amazingly well. She hadn't had to step in once. God, he really was such an incredible young man. That's when she realized she'd stopped thinking of her son as a 'kid'. Hmmm. It felt good knowing that her son was growing into such a remarkable and strong man. Maybe knowing Brian Kinney had some part in that, Jennifer admitted to herself, relinquishing the last little spark of resentment she had been holding onto against the older man who had served as the catalyst for so much change in her life. Overall, the changes had ended up being very good for almost everyone. Maybe she owed Brian a 'Thank You'.

 

Back in the patient's room, Justin could tell Brian was already chafing from inaction. How he was supposed to keep the man in bed for two full weeks, was beyond him. Even HE wasn’t that creative, especially considering the limitations now put on their usual bedroom activities by Brian's condition. The handcuffs might actually have to come into play, Justin chuckled to himself.

 

In lieu of other distractions, Justin brought the copy of the most recent ultrasound picture over for Brian to look at again and they chatted about how fast the baby had grown. It kept Brian occupied until Daphne came back in and told everyone that Chiefy's mini-press conference was almost ready. She suggested they time their escape to coincide with the start of that so hopefully the majority of the reporters at the hospital would be distracted.

 

By the time Justin had helped Brian into his clothes and the discharge papers had been signed, everyone was ready. Brian was put into a wheelchair - completely against his wishes - and an orderly pushed him out to a rear door where Jenn was waiting in her car. There didn't seem to be anyone around, at least not until after they were all in the car, which counted as a clean getaway in Justin's books.

 

They weren't so lucky back at the loft. The street in front of the building was impassable - it was packed with cars double parked on both sides of the street and an even bigger crowd of people on the sidewalk than had been there the night before. Jenn had to drive down the alley just to get to the building. They were spotted before they could get out of the car, though, and it wasn't long before the entire car was surrounded.

 

Justin was ready to panic. He was about to tell his mother to just drive away, when a noticeable gap started to clear amid the mob on the passenger side of the car - the side nearest the building. In a few moments. Justin could see the gargantuan gold-toothed grins of the two Hulk Brothers who had played enforcers and locksmiths for him a couple of months earlier. Hulk #2, who looked like he was the older of the pair, waved at Justin through the closed window of the car and then winked. Behind Hulk #1 and Hulk #2 were two other beefy looking, bodybuilder types, who bore a strong family resemblance to the first two. The four men looked like they could reasonably take on pretty much the entire crowd without breaking a sweat. Justin breathed a sigh of relief.

 

Outside the car, Hulk#1 held up an airhorn and let loose one blaringly loud blast of noise that very effectively got everyone's attention. "Attention all you losers!" boomed Hulk #2 in a deafeningly loud voice that could have even drowned out the airhorn. "Now, everyone is going to back away at least twenty feet from the car and let these nice people get into the building without harm! If you don't move, my brothers and I WILL move you using whatever force it takes! So, I suggest you get out of the fucking way!"

 

When no one started to move right away, Hulk #3 and #4 started moving menacingly towards a small knot of camera-wielding morons near the front of Jenn's car. "I said, MOVE IT!" Hulk #1 ordered at the same time and the horde instantly started to scramble away, climbing over one another to get as far from the Hulk Brothers as possible. When there was a clear pathway from the car to the rear door, the four Hulks standing there maintaining the gap with their intimidating glares, Justin opened his door and hopped out.

 

"Well, if it isn't our friend, Justin Taylor, of the 'Eighteen, Blond and Adorable Bubble-Butt' variety," greeted Hulk #2 as soon as he saw the cute blond youth. "Cynthia sent us. You sure do have a lot of Pest Problems around here, don't you?"

 

"Hey, Zavi!" said Brian as he got out of the front passenger seat. "I see you brought the whole family."

 

"Hey, Kinney. Yeah, we all thought it would be fun to get in on this, except for Lev. He's still the baby of the bunch and he don't much care for crowds." Hulk #1 commented as he walked next to Brian, escorting the pregnant man to the door with a threatening look at anyone who dared to even look in Brian's direction.

 

"There's five of you?" Justin couldn't help commenting as he hustled along behind Brian and the giant man who made his tall, well-built partner look like a child. "I feel bad for your poor mother."

 

"Nah, Ma loved having five boys," Hulk #2 replied jovially. "We grew up on a farm in Iowa. Ma used to joke that having five strapping big boys would have saved her and Pa a fortune in pay to hired farm hands, if only we didn't eat 'em out of all the profits!" The little insider joke caused all four behemoths to laugh boisterously.

 

"Thanks guys," Brian said as Justin unlocked the back door and held it open for his partner. "Tell Cynthia I said to make sure you get a big bonus for this. And, keep your schedules open. We may need you again soon."

 

Justin waved goodbye to the Hulks and then shut and locked the door behind them as Jenn and Daphne drove off in the background.

 

"You should see Lev, their 'Baby Brother'," Brian commented with a chuckle as he walked in front of Justin over to the elevator. "He's 6'10", weighs 250 and used to box in the military!"

Chapter End Notes:

9/28/13 - Fetal Development - Weeks 35 to 40: About week 35, the baby may drop lower in your abdomen, usually assuming the head-down position to prepare for birth. The brain has been developing rapidly, and your baby is practicing blinking. The baby is getting rounder every day, and his skin is getting pinker and losing its wrinkled appearance. By week 37, most of the baby's downy hair, lanugo, and whitish coating, vernix, are disappearing. Your baby is getting its antibodies from you to protect against illness. The baby's growth is slowing, but fat cells under the skin get plumper for life outside the womb. By week 38,the baby's arm and leg muscles are strong, and toenails and fingernails are in place. The baby's head should have dropped further down into the pelvis -- a head-down position which lets the parent breathe a little easier. A full term baby should measure more than 21 inches from head to toe and weigh around 6.5 pounds.


How am I doing at these biology lessons? Anybody completely grossed out yet? TAG.