- Text Size +

 

 

THE WIFE  OR THE  MISTRESS CHAPTER 3

BLAKE

I just got off the phone with Diane. She said that if I was coming, I’d better get there quickly. I knew things were bad with Gramps but this is too soon! I feel any combination of things at this moment, and none of them good. Taking a deep breath, I cross back over to the balcony where Drew was still seated from earlier.

 

“Diane just called, Drew. It’s… it’s….”

 

“Say no more Squirt. Just let me assemble the guys. If it helps, I called some of my teammates who live down here during the off-season as well. They are expecting to meet us there.”

 

I didn’t know what to say. That someone would go to these lengths to protect and preserve me… well it was just amazing and humbling at the same time. I really wish that Teddy was here, but since he can’t be, I’m glad I have Drew. No way would I have been able to face this all on my own and not fallen off the wagon in the process.

 

“Have you spoken to Emmett?” I ask, because I know that he’ll get the message where it needs to go. But I’m not ready to talk to Ted myself.

 

“Not yet, but I think I need to now, for your sake. He’ll let Ted know what’s going on.”

 

I breathe a sigh of relief. “Thanks Giant. I know I have to talk to him eventually, but right now, I just can’t.”

 

“I know, but when you’re ready, you make sure that you say everything that needs to be said, okay? No holding back; it’s not healthy for either of you.”

 

I absorb his words and know he’s speaking the truth. Ted and I have become so used to tip-toeing around each other, each afraid of the consequences of letting go of the control over our emotions. That’s one of the downsides to being clean and sober with another recovering addict. You live in fear that you will be the cause of your partner- the person you love above all others- falling and not be able to get back up. Words can be just as detrimental to their well-being as putting a vial of Meth into their hands and telling them not to use it. The temptation to hide inside that pure white powder would be too strong in either case. I can’t do that to Teddy… and I can’t do that to me either. So I let Drew be strong for both of us, just this once.

 

A half an hour and several phone calls later, Drew and I pull up to the hospital, our contingent of buff bodyguards and Drew’s most trusted guardsmen in football right behind us. We’re greeted by Diane and an iron-gray haired gentleman I don’t know. Seeing Diane after twelve years is amazing and if not for the circumstances, I would be elated. She’s about my height and as picture perfect as I am, with her shining gold hair and sparkling blue eyes. I guess that’s to be expected since I’m only older than her by twelve minutes. We always laugh about that, and tonight is no different, before things turn serious.

 

“Blake, Drew, this is Gramps attorney, Gregory Morgan. He’s here to make sure everything goes according to plan.”

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Blake, despite the circumstances. Your grandfather has told me so much about you,” Mr. Morgan tells me.

 

“I wish I could say the same.”

 

Greg nodded. “I know, I know. But now he’s… well I’ll let him tell you himself.”

 

We arrive at the room a few moments later. Although I’m reluctant to go in, I know I have to. It’s just hard to see the man that I’ve always known as robust and strong, both physically and in personality, as a shell of his former self. It’s a very real reminder of how fragile life really is.

 

“Gramps, Blake’s here.”

 

I watch as his blue eyes, so like my own, blink open to look at Diane. His voice when he speaks, is still the voice I remember. “Charles Blake Wyzecki. Come closer, son. It’s been a long time and I don’t have much left.”

 

“It’s good to see you again Gramps,” I say as I approach the side of the bed where he is. “I wish I could have come sooner.”

 

“I know, but well… Between your father and that bitch he married, you didn’t have much choice, now did you? You’re looking so much better than the PI reports I received for the first five years you’d been gone. After your decline into drugs, I just couldn’t see them anymore.”

 

I was surprised by that. I thought that like everyone else, he would have given up on me once I left. I’m glad I was wrong. “It was a dark time for me. I had lost you and Diane, along with everyone and everything I had known, because of something about myself I couldn’t change. But I’ve been clean now going on eight years.”

 

“I’m so happy to hear that son. So proud of you. Maybe now you can reclaim that nice young man you were involved with before things got so bad for you. What was his name?”

 

“Ted. His name is Ted, Gramps. And I have, although right now, I don’t know how much longer we’re going to last.” I couldn’t help the sudden lump in my throat at that thought. After all Ted and I have gone through, it doesn’t seem fair that we should end because… just why are we getting ready to fail?

 

“You listen to me, son. Fix whatever is broken between you. Don’t let missed opportunities of the past affect your future. One thing was made clear before you entered rehab; that man loves you with every fiber of his being. Honor that. Remember it, and fix what’s between you. Your grandmother and I made that mistake, and look at what it costs us. But no matter, because I will be joining her shortly on the other side and if God is merciful, we will begin anew. You still believe in God, don’t you Blake?”

 

I understand what he is telling me about Grandie. They’d had an argument just before she left the house on the morning she died, fifteen years ago. It was so bad that she decided to take the bus into work that morning, instead of asking Gramps to drop her off as usual. She had an aneurysm that burst while she was on the bus. I remember his despondency when he received the news. It seemed as if the life just fled from him; the light from his eyes left that day. For the longest time that I could remember, Gramps was just going through the motions of life. It wasn’t until I came out that he began fighting again. Not for his own life, but for my right to live and love as I saw fit. It hurt the three of us when I had to leave. Diane and Gramps begged me not to go, but my parents and other siblings had made it impossible for me to stay. I railed at God for a while, but I never stopped believing in Him to fix things. Even while I was high and having indiscriminate sex for my next hit, I always knew to ask forgiveness. My grandparents had taught me that.  “I never stopped Gramps. But sometimes, God makes this road called life so hard.”

 

“It’s not hard. Sure there are tough choices, and we all have the ability to choose wrongly for ourselves. It’s what makes free will a bitch sometimes.” He chuckles and I can’t help but remember all the times he told me that. “That said, this is the perfect opportunity for you to choose wisely for a change, without thought, worry, or care that you aren’t on an equal footing in your relationship with Ted. I know it was a concern of yours many years ago. Is it still?”

 

I had to think about it a moment. Michael always made sure to compare Ted and me, just as he did with Brian and Justin, in terms of finances, while ignoring his own disparity with Ben. “Yeah, it’s still a sore point at times, mostly because of a friend of Ted’s. I remember bringing it up to Ted once when he helped me get a job and bought me a new suit. He had a lot of faith in me even then.”

 

“Well there you go. You young people let things that really don’t matter get in the way of what’s best for you. And Theodore Schmidt is what’s best for you Blake. Regardless of all the problems, it all boils down to where you want to be, what you want, and with whom you want to be. Either you want to be with Ted or you don’t. But my gift to you will take at least some of the weight off your shoulders. Greg, give them the papers please.”

 

Greg handed me a thick packet of papers, requesting that I sign here and there. I didn’t bother to read them, knowing that my grandfather would never put something in them that wouldn’t benefit me. I looked over to Diane as she signed where she was required to as well. When we were finished, we both handed them back to him.

 

“You both have received your bequeathments ahead of schedule. I did it this way so that the ignorant whelp my DNA helped to create couldn’t get his hands on or deny what was rightfully meant to be yours. Blake and Diane, I have trustworthy people in place to run the business if you have no wish to do so. When I first became sick, with Greg’s help, we did that so that you would be free to live your lives. Blake, I know that you are a counselor at a rehab center in Pittsburgh. Although there is a fairly large branch here in Tampa, the headquarters is based in Chicago. Diane, are your bags packed?”

 

“They are Gramps.”

 

“You’re moving to Chicago?” I ask. I never thought that Diane would move away from here. But then again, I haven’t really known her innermost thoughts for many years. I can’t help but be a bit sad about that.

 

“Yeah, I am. I refuse to stay here when the two people I love aren’t. Besides you know Mom and Dad. In their minds, my business degree should only adorn a wall, but never be used. Thankfully, Gramps didn’t treat me as a trophy wife waiting to be claimed. I’ve been involved in the day-to-day operations here, although secretly behind the scenes. It’s been good training.”

 

I nodded. It was semi-comforting to know that my parents were still the same assholes they had become in my head long since. “So I guess that means we’ll be seeing a lot more of each other then?”

 

“Hell yeah! I refuse to let another twelve years go by without seeing my big brother. Having this gives me the freedom to do what I want without checking with them. Thank you Gramps.”

 

“That was the idea, my children,” Gramps says. “Blaze Distribution and Restaurants will go on with you two at the helm. The company is yours to take to the next level. And now it’s time for you two to go.”

 

“But I don’t want to leave yet. We’ve had so little time.” I feel the tears creeping into my eyes. I’m not ready to say goodbye to him!

 

“Your Grandie is here to get me, Blake. I can’t keep her waiting any longer. We’ve waited long enough to be together. Remember all I’ve told you son. And Diane, you take care of your brother now. Although you have spent years apart, like your Grandie and I, your connection is eternal. Greg, see them out for me.”

 

Greg begins to usher us out when I turn back. “I love you Gramps, and thank you. Thank you for never giving up on me and for loving me.” I sob.

 

“I never stopped and even now, I never will. Go be happy, Son. You deserve it.”

 

I left to the sound of the machines beeping behind me, knowing that he was gone. It was like he held on just to finish this and I’m not sure how to feel right now. One the one hand, I’m glad he’s out of pain and reunited with Grandie. But on the other hand, the more selfish part of me, wants him to hold on to this life longer. I want to make up for all of the lost years. My family robbed me of so much, but most of all what they stole from me was time. I’m not sure that I can forgive them for that.

 

“What the fuck are you doing here?” I hear the growl from him before I even lay my tear-filled eyes on the man known as my father.

 

“I’m leaving.”

 

“You shouldn’t have been here in the first place. Diane, you and I will have a serious talk when this is finished.”

 

“No, we won’t. There is nothing left to say.”

 

“You don’t tell me what I will and will not say to you! You will obey me!” Curtis tells her.

 

“Fuck you! I don’t have to listen to you. And I won’t. Now come on, Blake. We need to go.”

 

Curtis reached up to put his hand on her arm to detain her, but found his access blocked. I look over to Flora, who I used to refer to as Mom. The look on her face is priceless as she realizes just who has blocked Curtis’ access to Diane, while the rest of our security team begins to form a protective circle around us. I don’t think I have ever seen Drew’s eyes glitter so dangerously before. My gentle giant of a friend looks like he’s about to make mudholes out of anyone who gets near us.

 

“I believe the lady said that she no longer has anything to say to you. It would be in everyone’s best interests if you would stop causing a scene and let us pass,” Drew tells him.

 

My other brothers have arrived and they look just as shocked as my mother does. Not only are they star-struck, but they also have a helpless look in their eyes. I’ve spent years praying they would experience that feeling one day after all the beatings I endured at their hands. Curtis just doesn’t want to give up though.

 

“Look, I don’t give a fuck what it is you think you are doing but this is none of your business. This is between my wayward children and me, so fuck off!”

 

“Then you should probably speak to your children, who are standing next to your wife,” I say. “Diane and I were here to see OUR GRANDFATHER. As far as I’m concerned, I haven’t had parents for a long time now. I certainly don’t need them now. Diane, ready to go?”

 

“Diane, you walk out that door, don’t bother coming back! And don’t think you’re going to see a penny of my father’s money should he croak by the time I make it to the room.”

 

“Don’t worry. I have no intention of having anything to do with you after leaving here. Thanks for life, but I no longer need or want you in mine. I think I can officially say that you were dead to me the moment you kicked Blake out of our lives. Now it can be my new reality. Goodbye Curtis and Flora. If you five ever develop brains to think for yourselves, come find me. If not, it has been my burden to know you and hope never to see you around,” Diane says as she moves towards the exit with Greg in tow. “Blake?”

 

“Yeah, I’m coming. I just wanted to commit this to memory. Drew, you were right. Mean and hateful people really are like sandpaper.”

 

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean Blake?” Flora asks me.

 

“It means that while Diane and I are smooth and polished, you and your husband just look worn out and ugly. Goodbye.” I watch with more satisfaction than I should admit as her mouth opens and closes several times. There wasn’t really anything she could say; nothing either of them could say when faced with the absolute truth.

 

They reminded me of rotten apples. Beautiful and tempting on the outside while on the inside, hidden away from unsuspecting people, they were bitter and unpleasing at their core. It makes me realize that no matter how hard my life has been, I’m still happy to have gotten away from them before they really infected me with their metaphorical poison. Gramps, Diane and I are finally free of them, at long last.

 

Flanked by all of my new friends and one very important ‘old’ one, the three of us left the hospital. But there is one thing troubling me. “Diane, Greg, what does the rest of the Wyzecki family get upon Gramps’ demise?”

 

“Nothing.” Greg answers with a small chuckle.

 

“What do you mean nothing?”

 

“Just what I said. Curtis’ greed of many years and his sense of entitlement left a bad taste in your grandfather’s mouth a long time ago. After Curtis and Cruella… I mean Flora, tried to take over the company, citing that your grandfather had lost his mind with the death of his wife, Blaine changed his will, leaving the sum of one dollar to everyone except you and Diane. So not only do you have the business, but the bank accounts to go with it. All of his estate bills have already been paid, so whatever is in the account is yours to do with as you please. We’ll have to wait until later this morning to divide it up and close the accounts. We’ll move the money to two new accounts and then all profits beyond what gets shelled out for payroll and other governmental fees, will be deposited into your new accounts weekly. After your grandfather’s burial which will take place in a few days, I’ll monitor it from Chicago as well. It will take time but Blaine and I decided to close out the branch here in Tampa. Mostly everyone willing to relocate will do so within the next three months while the others opted for their settlement packets. Again, all of those expenses have already been paid out.”

 

“How much is in the accounts?” I’m still trying to process all of what’s being told to me. I never knew that Gramps had basically disowned Curtis.

 

“Roughly or there about, two hundred million. But the business is lucrative and pours money into the main account all the time. Having a top-notch cookware line and several restaurants here in the States and abroad pays very well. Your grandfather was a very wealthy man; he just chose to live modestly.”

 

I felt Drew behind me, holding me up. With my half, that puts me on financial ranking with Brian, Justin, Emmett and Drew. What the fuck?!  

 

 

TED

 

I’m still sitting here brooding a bit when my phone rings. Looking at the display, I roll my eyes at first. I mean, I technically just met the guy and already he’s becoming a pain in my ass. But I can’t say that since he’s trying to help me get my life back in the most important way. So with that thought in mind, I release a sigh and push the green talk button on my own electronic leash.

 

“Hello Bernard, what can I do for you?”

 

“Well Jesus Ted, don’t sound so enthused to hear my melodious voice.” We both snicker at that. Strangely, he reminds me of Brian in his ‘no bullshit’ approach to this whole thing. “But let’s get to the reason I’m calling. One of the other counselors has brought to my attention an opportunity to get away from Pittsburgh, to at least try and get all of our couples on solid footing.”

 

“But I just got back and Kinnetik…”

 

“I know Ted. Besides, we’ve already talked about a way for you and Brian to be able to tend to business while you are taking care of home, so to speak. Let me ask you something. How do you see yourself five years from now?”

 

“I’m not sure what you mean.”

 

“Okay, in the simplest terms- taking business out of it- do you see yourself with Blake or without him?”

 

“I… I don’t know. It’s not that I don’t want to be with him but the problems for us…”

 

“Are insurmountable without a lot of help and guidance. I’ll be completely honest with you and forgive the cliche in advance. Have you ever seen Mahogany, starring Billy Dee Williams and Diana Ross? Well that infamous line he uttered was true. Success is nothing without someone you love to share it with. You are about to lose the person that I know you love; you are also about to lose yourself because of it.”

 

I remember watching that movie with Emmett some years ago. Admittedly, we both cried at that part. Ironic that the lead male character’s name was Brian. And that our own Brian and Justin were going through something similar, where it was the older man who had placed Justin on the backburner in quest for his own success story. “I don’t want to end up like that.”

 

“Well that’s where you are headed; you and Blake both, if you both don’t take the measures to cut that shit out. So look, the idea is to visit an island- a very special island- that two of our colleagues along with Judge Marcus has developed. Although there are main grounds, there are also villas on the outer corners of it. You and your friends will be staying in those. They are far enough from the main area that you will have complete privacy to work out your issues without, uh... interference...”

 

“You mean Michael.”

 

“I always knew you were a smart man, Ted. A lot of Blake’s problems with you stem from him, but that’s going to be addressed later. Let me finish telling you about the resort. Each of the villa areas are like their own little island as well. Each has restaurants and pools… all the things you would find in any other kind of resort. Best of all, there will be little or no chance that you would see any of the other couples, unless it is prearranged and approved between the counselors. I know that Alex is planning to give Brian a new phone so that you and he will be able to business. Since Michael will be far enough away, you won’t have to worry about him trying to wheedle the number out of you. Skype is another matter.”

 

“Are you saying I have no will of my own to thwart Michael?” I can't help but feel a little pissed about that.

 

“It’s evident that you don’t, at least from the outside looking in. Consider the way you allowed Michael to speak to Blake earlier, when all your husband did was point out the truth regarding your friend. Honestly, I couldn’t blame Blake for marching out just as Justin, Ben, and Drew did. How can you not see it?”

 

I sighed. “I do see it; have for a long time. But sometimes, it’s just easier to not engage Michael and let him think you are giving into him. It saves my sanity.”

 

“While destroying all you are trying to build. How is that fair to you, Ted? How is that designing your own life? How is that doing anything other than buying into those negative thoughts that led your to addiction to crystal meth in the first place?”

 

 

I know he’s right about everything he’s saying. I’m becoming complacent in my own downfall again. I thought by keeping busy, I could outrun these thoughts. But they are persistent, they are damaging and destructive. If I’m not proactive, I will lose everything...again. “Okay, I’ll do it.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

FIRE and ICE: CHAPTER 3 up NEXT!!