- Text Size +

 

 

 

FIRE AND ICE CHAPTER 4:

DREW

 

I am so proud of Squirt. He’s manning up and calling the person he should. I know it took a lot of guts for him to dial Ted’s number. Maybe in all their talking about ‘business’ they will also manage a little time to talk about them. Speaking of which… I know that I have to follow my own advice and call Emmett. I know that he was relieved to hear from me last night; I just hope it hasn’t turned to anger yet.

 

I pick up my cellphone, preparing to dial when I notice the message envelope flashing telling me that there is a new message. Retrieving the voicemail, I’m surprised to hear Duke’s voice in the receiver asking me to call him right away. I excuse myself from Diane, who is inconspicuously listening in on her brother’s conversation. I chuckle, thinking I really like them. If I had a sister, I wouldn’t mind one like Diane. I’m very happy that they have found each other again, at long last.

 

I move to the terrace so that I can still keep one ear in the living room, in case Squirt needs me. Settling myself into one of the comfortable armchairs out there, I go ahead and place the call back to Duke. After it rings a few times, I’m thinking that it’s about to go to voicemail, but he picks up. “Hey Duke, it’s Drew. You called me?”

 

“Yeah I did. First, how are things in Florida with Blake?” I can hear the tightness in his voice but I ignore it.

 

“Things are fine. His grandfather passed away in the early hours of this morning. His sister is here with us now.”

 

That took the sanctimonious wind out of his sails. “I’m sorry to hear that. You will give him my condolences, won’t you?”

 

“Sure thing. So what else did you want to speak to me about.” I like Duke, I really do, but if this is just to plead Emmett’s case for his inaction in the conference room…

 

“The other counselors and I were talking. We all agree that the environment here in Pittsburgh would be counterproductive to your goals as a couple. More accurately, it wouldn’t be conducive to deciding whether you even like each other anymore, let alone love. So we’ve decided that it would be beneficial to each couple if you all went to a resort called Seascape.”

 

I take a moment to absorb what he says. All of us, at a resort, surrounded by water and no escape from… “Sorry Duke but that’s not going to work.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because if Justin, Blake, or myself, is anywhere near Michael Novotny-Bruckner and a body of water, we’ll all do our best to drown the little fucker!”

 

Instead of being angry, Duke laughed loud and long at the idea. He sobers after a while and says, “That’s not going to be a problem.”

 

“What? I can drown him and not be arrested for it?”

 

He chuckles again but answers, “No, you can’t. But the way the resort is set up, you will have almost little to no chance of seeing him.”

 

“What do you mean? How will you manage that?” My interest is definitely piqued.

 

“You all will be given villas on opposite ends of the island. Each area is like its own little resort with pools, restaurants, nightclubs- all the amenities that a resort has. Although the property is joined by a main hotel in the center of the island, it is virtually impossible to walk there. The same goes for the areas between the villas. You may run into each other in the center of the resort where the main shops and conference rooms are, but other than that, you are basically in seclusion from the other couples. There will be other couples there, either on vacation or in therapy much like yourselves, but as for your friends, it is highly doubtful that you will see each other all that much.”

 

I like the sound of this place. “How long would we be gone?”

 

“At least a month, depending on the severity. Also the villas are soundproofed, so you can fuck or fight without the entire island knowing your business. We also realize that a few of you will have to be away on business, so you’ll travel together so that even while you aren’t on the island, your therapy will not be on hold.”

 

“Who thought up this idea?”

 

“Between Judge Marcus, Dr. Wilder, and Dr. Monroe, they developed this place along with a mutual friend. So far it’s been successful in getting the couples to either stay together or part on good terms. It gives everyone a way to say what has to be said  and to make solid decisions for themselves, without the added pressure of expectation.”

 

“Which is exactly what we would be, weighed down in the ‘Burgh. Debbie alone can put the most extreme pressure on us by delivering her view of what’s right or wrong. I really feel sorry for Ben.”

 

“I know, us too. But he’s said that with or without Michael he is going. I suspect there is a lot more to his decision than just deciding if he wants to be married to Michael or not.”

 

“Honestly, I got that feeling too last week. I hope that whatever decision he comes to, it will be the best for him. But have you spoken to Emmett about this yet?” Because unlike Ben, if he doesn’t go, then I won’t.

 

“As a matter of fact, Judge Marcus called him personally. He’s said that he would talk to you but I think it’s a surety that he’s going to go to the resort. I know that he’s currently in a meeting with Darren about schedules and the like.”

 

“That means he’s made his decision to go. So therefore, I’m in. I have to move around a couple of things since I want to be on the island at least a week before I have to fly out. This will be as close to a vacation as Em and I have had together in a long time.”

 

“Well then, at least there’s that. I won’t promise that it will be all rainbows, unicorns, and instant love. It’s going to be hard fucking work, Drew. You guys have managed to get so far off-course that it may take awhile to get back to complete happiness. But if you’ll put in the work, I’ll at least see you through to the finish.”

 

 

I finished up my phone call with him, feeling more hopeful and happy than I have in days. Yeah, it’s going to be raw, gritty, and messy. Em will probably shed a lot of tears and I’ll probably roar louder than any lion or bear. But we’ll be fighting for us together. And that makes it worth it.

 

 

Chapter End Notes: