- Text Size +

 

 

 

THE WIFE or THE MISTRESS: CHAPTER 5

TED

 

I am at the airport waiting for the flight from Tampa to come in. God, it feels like forever since I’ve seen Blake, even though it’s only been a few days. When he told me everything that had happened over the phone, I felt such guilt. I wanted to board the next plane and hold him. I apologized profusely for my inattention, but in classic Blake fashion, he absolved me, told me that we would go to that island Bernard told us about and put all of this behind us. He said that he’s still mad but it was time that we figure out a way to move forward, as a couple or as friends. I didn’t know what to make of that last statement but trusted that when the time was right, he and I would talk about it and make the best decisions for us.

 

In the meantime, after receiving the paperwork from Blake and Diane’s attorney, Greg, I went ahead and did what Blake asked me to do which was invest a quarter of his newfound wealth for him. What Blake never knew was that I had been investing in his name for years, even back in his crystal days, hoping that one day he would get himself together. The initial investments which cost me all of two hundred bucks, have yielded several high interest returns. So in essence, Blake has been pretty well off for years. I’m just glad to know that I had forgotten about them during my own foray into drugs, because no doubt, we would have been starting over from scratch. Increasing his market shares with his new money, now gives Blake ownership of four companies. Sure the ownership is small- only like ten percent- but it’s substantial if the companies ever change hands. They would have to literally buy Blake out. Not bad for a pair of former crystal queens!

 

The first thing I notice as he comes through the gate are his blue eyes scanning the sea of humanity, looking for me. He’s talking to a young lady with shining gold hair standing right next to him, with Drew standing off to the right. My breath catches as he finds me and it’s then that I notice that the woman is looking at me too. If it wasn’t for the fact that they looked so much alike, I might never have known who she was. She runs to me and before I know it, I’m wrapped up in a cloud of Versace Blue Jeans perfume.

 

“You must be Teddy. It’s so nice to finally meet you!”

 

I hug her back, not in the least bit uncomfortable, which is surprising in itself. “It’s wonderful to meet you as well, Diane. Blake has told me so much about you. I was sorry to hear about your grandfather. I would have loved to get to know him.”

 

She pulls back from me, with a smile on her face. I’m taken aback by how much that smile resembles Blake’s. “He knew all about you.”

 

“All about me?”

 

“Yes, Teddy, all about you. He even knew about your..uh, less than stellar moments. But he respected you, even up until moments before he passed away. You’re exactly the type of man he would have wanted for my big brother. Don’t ever let someone, including Blake, make you think differently, ya hear? Now let’s get out of this blasted place! I’m hungry and a little birdie told me that you make a mean salmon with rosemary and lemon butter sauce.” She smiled brightly at me again and I can’t help the smile that I give in return. She’s exactly as Blake described her.

 

We all move to the baggage claim area to retrieve, God only knows how many, bags and trunks. “Jesus, Diane, this is more than a little bit! Did you rob a farm full of livestock or something?” Seriously, they are heavy! My muscles are tired from just picking up two of them. Yet the show-off named Drew Boyd, is lifting them like their measly sacks of potatoes. I’ve been hitting the gym with Brian but DAMN!

 

She just laughs and tells me to stop my complaining. “Besides, most of these are going to be shipped from here to Chicago. Or at least that’s the plan for now. Who knows? I may love your fair city so much that I’ll only visit Chi-town enough per week to run the company. I don’t want to stay too far away from Blakie, it’s been too many years as it is.”

 

Her face has taken on a wistful look that has my heart sinking and soaring for them by turns. She’s right. It has been too many years since they’ve spent any time together. There is so much that they still don’t know about each other. It makes me feel a little guilty that Blake and I will be leaving tomorrow for at least a month trying to get our relationship back on track. That’s when an idea strikes me. “Diane, although Blake and I will be going away tomorrow, I’m sure that he would want you to meet everyone.” I look at Blake for confirmation. Even though, he and I haven’t exchanged anything beyond silent looks until this point, I felt that the ultimate decision should be his.

 

“I don’t have a problem with having the gang over, Teddy. It’s just that I…”

 

“Then we won’t invite him,” I say, understanding his hesitation.

 

“But I want to meet all of the people important to you, Blakie. Even if that means I have to put up with him.” I was surprised that he told her about his aversion to Michael.

 

“That’s the thing...he isn’t important to me, but he is to Ted and the others. I don’t want to not invite him simply because I can’t stand the idiot.”

 

I feel that I should interject here, so I do. “Blake, it’s our home. If you don’t want Michael there, then he shouldn’t be.”

 

“I just don’t want you to have to endure the Novotny tantrum, Teddy,” he says quietly. I’m gratified that he still takes my feelings into consideration, even at the expense of himself. It’s time I do the same.

 

“I can handle the aftermath, Blake. This is for you and Diane- a reunion and a welcome. It’s a celebration! I refuse to have anything spoiling that. So no Michael. But it’s okay that I invite the rest of them, right?”

 

He smiles at me for the very first time and once again, I think of how lucky I am that he chose me. “Sure Ted. I would like that.”

 

“Okay. So I guess we’ll have to find something else for Diane to eat right now since I’ll make the salmon for dinner. It’s something even Brian can’t fuss over.”

 

We all laugh, thinking about the picky Brian Kinney. I’m so happy that Blake is home. I’m happy that he’s safe. But most of all I’m happy that we are going away to give us another chance. Who knows what tomorrow may bring, but that’s unimportant right now. I think about every time Brian has told me that I worry about tomorrow too much and have to chuckle. While the man who has become one of my best friends seems to live by the seat of his pants,  I know for a fact that he’s a planner down to the last point of a situation. Sure he can be impulsive, but for the most part, he doesn’t make a move without plans and contingency plans and even plans for those. It makes me wonder just what he’s planning now in reference to Justin. I still worry about us all being on the island, especially with Michael close by. But well, let’s just get through tonight. I can’t wait to be able to hold Blake again.

 

“What’s on your mind?” He asks me softly, as we load the baggage in the car.

 

“Just hoping.”

 

“For?”

 

“That no matter what, we can see our way clear of the mess we’ve made.”

 

“Pass or fail, it will work itself out however it’s meant to. We can only try Teddy, and that’s all I’m promising.” He then softens his voice in that way which always puts me at ease. “Let’s just enjoy ourselves and our company tonight. We’ll worry about tomorrow when it gets here, okay?”

 

I look into his reassuring eyes, finding peace for the first time in a long while deep in the ocean blue orbs. I renew my resolve to fight for him, for us, in that moment and smile with a new determination. “Okay.”

 

“Hey you two, make goo-goo eyes at each other later when I’m safely tucked away in your guestroom. Now feed me!!” Diane orders, interrupting our tender moment of understanding. She’s such a pistol. I can’t help but smile at her.

 

“I take it you’re happy that you’ve gained a new pain in the ass?” Blake snickers, his gorgeous eyes twinkling.

 

 

“She reminds me a lot of you and is going to make me one helluva little sister. If she has a bottomless pit like you and Justin...Whew! Maybe I better make a supermarket run.” I laugh outright, looking forward to being bossed around by a mere slip of a woman. I really can’t wait for everyone to meet her. One thing is certain: between Blake and Diane, my life will never be dull. And hell yeah...I can live with that!

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

FaI UP NEXT!!!