- Text Size +

 

FIRE and ICE: CHAPTER 5

DREW

 

I’m finally catching up with Emmett. After I called him this afternoon to let him know that we touched down in Pittsburgh safely and that Ted was having an impromptu dinner party to introduce Diane, he decided to help out with the preparations. I didn’t mind though, because that’s just Emmett and it’s how he works. I have to admit that I used to be jealous of his relationship with Ted. I had found out they dated for awhile and although I just couldn’t see it, I had problems with how close they remained, despite the fact that they had partners. It took Justin, Ben, and Blake talking to me for me to understand their dynamics.

 

I was actually surprised to learn that Em and Ted weren’t just friends, but best friends in the way that Justin and Daphne are. Justin had shared with us what happened when he’d slept with Daphne back in his teens and how she tried to turn it into a relationship. It took a while for them to get back to the point where they were. The same kind of thing happened with Em and Ted’s relationship, only it was much worse. I was sorry to hear that Ted became an addict. Knowing him the way I do now, I just couldn’t see it, but there were a lot of things that led up to that point. According to Justin, it started with Ted being fired from Wertschafters for surfing porn on the internet. I found that funny because I never would have thought that straight-laced, wry sense of humor Ted, had a horny streak ten city-blocks wide. It was then that the guys told me he was the founder and CEO of Jerk@Work.net. I actually laughed at that, thinking it was a miracle that I never got caught on the site. Yeah… I was a paying customer while I was firmly entrenched in my closet. I didn’t go on often, but I was a big fan of Fetch Dixon. So imagine my surprise when he turned out to be the only man I have ever loved.

 

They told me the real tragic story behind George Schickles’ death, and I have to admit that my heart went out to Emmett. So many secrets that he’s never told me. But then again, that’s how Em lives his life. He has the amazing ability to put his past behind him literally, not just figuratively. Past the initial mourning period, he doesn’t dwell. I’m not even sure his past is allowed to cross his mind in remembrance once he’s done with it. Sure, he has a whole lot of anecdotes and lessons learned from the past that he can bring into any conversation; things that will make you laugh or cry or think. But beyond that, he doesn’t get introspective or pensive like the rest of us tend to do. It’s why I love him, because when he says he forgives you, he really does.

 

Anyway, I found out that while Brian and Justin were breaking up, Ted and Em were getting together. What’s that saying about death and birth? Yeah it was sort of that way with the rise of the Temmett Era, as Justin calls it. Things were good with them for awhile. They were still the best friends that they always were. But the change happened when Stockwell was up for mayoral election. Good gravy, I remember that dark time in Pittsburgh. It wasn’t just that the conservatives were stirring up trouble wherever they could; I remember fights that would break out in the stands because believe it or not, we had some die-hard gay football fans, who just happened to know how to barroom brawl with the best of them. It seemed that we couldn’t have a home game without a near riot breaking out. Seeing the aftermath, I could honestly say, I was happy to be under the radar, fucking men only when the itch hit me.

 

As for Ted and Em, it seemed that while Emmett’s catering business was taking off, the sun was setting on Jerk@Work and Ted became resentful. I’m not sure how it happened- I’m not sure that Em is either- but Ted became an addict, not just of prescription drugs but of crystal meth. I can’t imagine what that time was like for Em, watching helplessly as his friend and lover descended into a world that Em had tried some ten years before. According to the guys, everyone was off mostly doing their own thing, while Em was single-handed trying to save Ted. Knowing that Em could be exceptionally soft-hearted at times, I know that it was difficult not to wash his hands of the whole mess. From what I’ve heard, it took Brian Kinney to get Emmett to save himself while letting Ted sink or swim on his own.

 

It seemed to be the right thing to do, considering how close the two men are once again. I don’t have all the details, but suffice it to say that I am no longer jealous. If anything, I might be a bit envious of the close friendship the two of them have. I’ve never really had a best friend, someone I could tell my secrets to and know that I could trust them not to turn on me. Living in hiding, even from yourself, makes you wary of trusting people. I think that’s why I really hate Michael Novotny. He takes all of their friendships for granted and betrays their confidences every time something doesn’t go his way. He employs the most expert form of emotional blackmail that I’ve ever been witness to, and all behind the guise of being a good friend, a best friend, a brother, and in Ben’s case, a lover… It’s bullshit!

 

I get out of my car and head for the elevator to Blake and Ted’s place. I have to admit as condos go, theirs is top of the line. I tried to talk Em into buying a condo in this building, but he’s in love with the house, even if we have to wait to be shoveled out every winter, but he vetoed that idea. Since leaving home, he’s only lived in apartments or at Debbie’s. He once told me that the farmhouse he grew up in never allowed him to have space to roam or privacy. So I guess I can understand in a way, since I’m also a country boy. But I was also the youngest child so by the time I was a teenager, I lived the life of an only child. I was more alone than with my siblings. I was also an adult with a lucrative career when I came out, while Em was harassed and hassled everyday for being who he is. It kind of sheds a new light on how different his life has been from mine.

 

The first thing I hear when I get out on the floor, is the high-pitched laughter. It makes my heart melt hearing Emmett and Diane sounding so happy. The deep rumble of Ted’s laughter soon joins in along with Blake’s innocent-sounding “What? You know I’m telling the truth,” makes me long for more days like this. I knock twice as is my custom and before I know it, my arms are full of exuberant blond girl.

 

“Drewsie! I’m so glad you’re here. Em won’t let me sample anything.” Diane tells me, using Em’s nickname for me. I can’t help but chuckle at the adorable pout on her face.

 

“I would tell you that I could help you, but I know my Emmett. He wants everyone’s reaction to his cooking to be a surprised and honest one. But you can trust that it’s beyond delicious.”

 

“I know, it smells so good. My stomach is rumbling again.”

 

“How can that be when you only ate half a restaurant full of food not two hours ago?”

 

“What can I say? I have a fast metabolism.” She shrugs as if it should be obvious.

 

“Hey Blake, are you sure this is your sister? She’s more like Justin’s twin than yours.”

 

He laughs. “Yeah, she’s mine. Although from what Justin tells me, Molly could out-eat him and never gains a pound.”

 

Just then the door opens to reveal more newcomers. “We’re not late, are we?” Justin asks as he and Brian come through the door. I’m surprised to see Ben with them.

 

“Nope. I just arrived myself,” I respond, looking behind Ben to see if his extra asshole is accompanying him.

 

He smirks, knowing exactly what I’m doing. “No, he isn’t here. In fact, he and I have not had contact in a bit more than twenty-four hours.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“I gave him an ultimatum last night, so I would imagine that he’s somewhere either thinking it over or trying to find a way out of it. Either way, the choice is up to him now. So let’s have a good time.” Ben says, as he nabs a beer off the liquor cart.

 

“So Diane, it must be nice to be reunited with Blake, huh?” Justin asks. If he was anything like me, the last thing he wanted to talk about was the Idiot Man-child that was Michael. Hopefully, we didn’t put enough bad karma into the air just by asking his whereabouts. Oh hell, now I’m even starting to sound like Ben.

 

“It’s the best. I’ve really missed him. Now that I’ll be based in Chicago- at least that’s the plan so far- I’ll be able to make up for lost time.”

 

“And just what is it you do?” Brian asks, and I know exactly what he’s doing. He’s entered protective mode.

 

Diane laughs. Apparently, Ted and Blake have already told her to be prepared for the Inquisition by the Master. “I’m co-CEO of Blaze Distribution and Restaurants. So no, Mr. Kinney, I have no intention of taking advantage of my brother’s generosity. Besides, he’s the other CEO so there wouldn’t be much benefit in stabbing him in the back. Although, I’m a jugular vein kinda gal myself.”

 

I laugh at the stunned look on Brian’s face. Then watch as the ever-present smirk surfaces. Justin too notices and beats Brian to the punch. “Who does your advertising? You’re already meeting with the Co-CEOs of Kinnetik Enterprises.”

 

“Sunshine that’s my line,” Brian says, smiling at him.

 

“Well when you’re slow you blow, Brian.”

 

“I promise to...later.”

 

“UGH! Can we please not offend the ONE lesbian at the table? The last thing I want to do is lose my appetite thinking about what either of you will be eating later.” The table erupts in laughter at her admission. Diane really is a joy to be around. Just then her phone rings and the smile becomes a frown. “Blake, it’s Greg, we need to take this.”

 

“Is it something that I should be included on? As Blake’s personal accountant, I mean?”

 

“I don’t know but… well I could use you for moral support, if that’s okay,” Blake answers him quietly.

 

“Tell you what, Brian and Justin have experience in running a Fortune 100 company. Their input could be invaluable to you, not just because they could do your advertising blindfolded and still increase your revenue. It's because they, although not many know it, started the company from the ground up and with little startup money or costs. What they've made of it... well, you couldn't find better consultants, I assure you. Perhaps you could put the phone on speaker and that way, you have the best of all worlds. Business advice and moral support, unless you think it’s too private,” Ted suggests.

 

I can’t help but be curious and somehow after this phone call, I know they will need all of us. It was also news to me to that Justin was in on the ground floor of Brian’s company. But then I remember hearing that he named the company, back when I was just a model for Brown Athletics. It will be interesting to see if despite all of their current problems, if their professional karma is still in tact.

 

Diane presses the speakerphone button to connect the call. “Hey Greg, we’re just sitting down to dinner. What’s up?”

 

“Two things actually…” his voice comes across. “Number one is that your parents are trying to fight your grandfather’s will. I assure you that they don’t have a leg to stand on since it was done after he returned to work. They are trying to use his extended mourning period to say that he wasn’t in his right mind at the time of changing his will. I already submitted the documents to show what Curtis and Cruella...oh sorry, damn you Blake for that! Flora… tried to do to him, so I expect it to be thrown out as early as next week.”

 

“Of course that’s bullshit. Gramps was lucid right up until the second he died. So what’s the second thing?” Blake asks. I have to admit to being proud of him. He’s all business right now, which is a side of him I don’t think any of us has ever seen, including Ted.

 

“The second thing has to do with the Florida distribution center. I looked over the numbers and although there are a lot of staff still left at the plant, the bulk of those left are within retirement age. Because of the stink Curtis tried to raise when he barged into the office this morning after the reading of the will, they would either like to retire immediately or quit. The other employees have opted to move to wherever the new distribution center is going to be but have requested that it be done within the week instead of the month, like originally planned. Simply put, they don’t trust Curtis.”

 

“Quite frankly, I don’t either,” Diane says. “It would be just like the fucker to try to burn the place down, costing up hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenue.”

 

“I have an idea, Blake and Diane,” Justin states, pulling out his cell phone. “Give me a moment to see if it’s doable.”

 

“As for the company itself,” Brian begins, “Retire those employees by Wednesday. The others can help the movers pack up the plant. It’s a tight schedule but with round the clock work, by Wednesday the shipping could begin. That gives you all roughly five days to secure everything. The remaining employees will have to be offered a relocation package, to be executed immediately. The only question remains is where they will be moving to?”

 

“Brian, we have an entire complex vacant,” Justin calls out.

 

“Since when?”

 

“Since last week. It’s one of the reasons I was trying to call you. I acquired an entire complex of condos. It was a steal so I bought it. The former owner needed to offload it quickly before the ex-wife found out about it and included it in the divorce settlement. He’s determined that she won’t get one copper penny beyond their joint assets, so even though he owned the building and had just acquired it himself, he sold it to me. She cheated but stands to get half of everything because they didn’t have a prenup, go figure. Anyway, although I was planning on renovating, the apartments are completely habitable as they are now. I’m on the phone with Mom. Diane, if you and Blake are willing, we can take a security deposit from you now, to be repaid in increments from your relocating employees. Then it would be my advice to offer to pay half their rent for the first year. They will be solely responsible for all their other expenses. During that time, they will have the option to either stay in the apartments or relocate to more affordable housing.” Brian nods in Justin’s direction, clearly pleased that they are still on the same wavelength.

 

“Greg, with what’s in the accounts now, how much will that option set us back? And how many are trying to relocate? As for the others, pay the pensions immediately. No need to wait, unless they prefer to begin their retirements on Wednesday. If that’s the case, increase it by ten percent for all of them, but get their answers first. I know they are good people at heart, but there is a lot of money involved. Many would turn avaricious just because they can.”

 

“Brian, Justin, how much are you offering to rent the complex for?”

 

I listened as they came up with a figure which was agreeable to them all. It amazed me that although Ted was the accountant to all of them, he was still fair and impartial. Emmett, Ben, and I sat stunned at the amounts. Sure we were all well off, although Ben significantly less than the rest of us, but still the costs of moving an entire distribution center and its employees was staggering. We all looked at each other as a knock sounded at the door. I had a bad feeling about answering it but told Em and Ben to stay there.

 

Lo and behold who should be there but the Twerp who couldn’t stay away. “Drew, what are you doing here? Where’s Ted?”

 

“Busy and I was invited. What are you doing here?”

 

“Look, I want to talk to Ted. I can’t find Brian.”

 

As if the fates were conspiring against me, the man in question was speaking directly to the attorney on the phone while Justin was relating all of the necessary information to his mom on the phone. “As you can hear, they are in the middle of something rather important.”

 

“I don’t give a damn what you deem important. I want to speak to Brian. He owes me an apology for the way he acted last night and I don’t intend to leave until I get it. BRIAN!!! BRIANNNNNNNN!!!!”

 

Right there is where I lost my patience. “Listen you little pissant! Brian is busy, Ted is busy, and no one has time for your latest temper tantrum. Now leave!”

 

“Who the fuck do you think you are? After all we’ve done for you when you had to hide out from the press. You…”

 

“Fuck you Michael! I don’t owe you shit except a size thirteen in the crack of your ass! If anyone, I would probably owe Debbie a good turn, but that does not...I repeat since you have selective hearing...IT DOES NOT INCLUDE YOU!! Now beat it before I am tempted to introduce your chest to your back!” And I really want the little fuck to try pushing against me one more time so I can cave his chest in! Instead, I showed a modicum of self-restraint by stepping back and slamming the door in his face.

 

Fifteen minutes later, he is finally gone. No doubt he’s about to run to mommy about the big bad Drew. Well let her come, because I have some very choice words for her too! I turn to Ben and simply shake my head.

 

“I just have to ask. What the hell did you ever see in that boy in a man’s body?”

 

“More like a boy in an underdeveloped body,” Justin says as Blake snickers.

 

Ben just looks at me sadly and my heart goes out to the man. “At first, it was that I thought he was cute. You know what I mean, that boy-next-door type, that I have since learned is completely deceiving. Then it was love or something like it. But now...I am asking myself the same thing.”

 

“Sadly Michael has a one-track mind, especially when it comes to Brian,” Justin interjects. “I don’t think he’s ever developed past the age of eight, much less fourteen which is the general consensus. Sorry Ben but… well what are you going to do, right?”

 

Ben looks at Brian, who has a slight frown marring his features. I wonder if they are having some of the silent communication I’ve seen from Brian and Justin since I’ve known them. Seeming to come to a decision, Ben says, “I’m simply going to do what’s right for me. It’s about time that I think of myself first, since he clearly doesn’t think of me at all.”

 

I see Brian, Ted, and Emmett drop their eyes and I can’t help but smile at the realization that they are finally getting what it’s like to be us, the Lonely Hearts Club. “Well, no sense crying over spilled milk. All we can do is take things from here. But Ben remember that healing begins with you. It’s what you told me just last week, and who am I if I don’t throw your words back at you?”

 

“What exactly happened last week?” Emmett asks, but I just shake my head.

 

“I’m sure it will all come out during our journey to the island. Well as long as we’re honest with each other and ourselves.”

 

“You all better fucking be,” Diane says. “I would hate to have to kick all my new found brothers asses for being idiots. So fucking fix it or let it go, but do it on your own terms.”

 

“What are you going to do while we are away?” Blake asks her.

 

“First, I’m going to sort out our empire. Then I’m going to get laid and email you all the details. I’m even going to include pictures and video so you can get the full effect.”

 

 

A collective “UGH!” rang out dispelling all the tension in the room. Having a little sister sure does have its uses!

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

This concludes BOOK I so the next round of update will begin BOOK II: The Strawberry Letters

Hope you enjoyed the updates but in the meantime...

Happy Reading and HUGS,

~Nichelle