- Text Size +

 

 

THE WIFE or THE MISTRESS: BOOK II CHAPTER 1

BLAKE


Okay. So I’m terribly tempted to go over and ask Justin what has him so steamed up. Looking at him from this distance, I swear you would think that he was contemplating various ways of murdering Michael. I’ve been known to think of all the ways myself, including becoming like those smart bastards on the show I Almost Got Away With It, my current addiction on the ID channel. Ben could probably star on the other show Who the {Bleep} Did I Marry, because it certainly isn’t the boy-next-door he thought he did.


I’m still quite amazed at how Michael has managed to snow everyone for so long. I mean, even before I officially met Teddy, back in my tweaking days, it wasn’t hard for me to discern what a clingy and opportunistic asshole Michael Novotny has always been. I really wonder where he got his manipulative personality from. I know Deb can be that way, as evidenced by how many times she’s railroaded the others into forgiving and forgetting every shitty thing Michael does to people that aren’t her. One thing I’ve learned about Debbie is that if Michael’s assholery doesn’t affect her life directly, it’s as if it doesn’t exist. Her brother Vic, God rest his soul, wasn’t like that. He was honest to a fault, and even if he was a bit passive at times, he was still able and willing to call Michael on his shit, regardless of it angered Debbie.


As for me, I have developed a low tolerance for his bullshit over the years. I used to just sit and watch him; study him like the most unusual of species known to mankind. After the whole Stockwell incident where I heard Michael lauding Brian while disparaging- or should I say negating- Justin’s part in it, well there was no more keeping silent. My talkbacks started out subtle and quietly, biding my time to when I could really let Michael have a piece of my mind for all the mindgames I’d watched him play over the years. But it was when he literally talked down Justin’s influence over Brian using his money to basically save us all from ruin at the hands of Stockwell, instead of lending it to him, to once again save his ass from the creditors he owed, which he didn’t want Ben to know about, well that was my breaking point. Ted had tried to smooth things over for me so that I wouldn’t ruffle the Mother Hen and Baby Chick’s feathers unduly, but I couldn’t have given a flying fuck if Debbie and Michael were angry. Fuck, I was angry too! I still am, and have been steadily becoming so for the last few years, ever since I arrived back in Teddy’s life. And hearing him over there still ranting about Brian’s supposed mistreatment to Emmett is making me even more so.


I’m so tempted to just go over there and punch him in the mouth, anything to get him to shut the hell up. But before I can follow my violent inclination, my attention is drawn to Bernard at the front of the waiting room. I look at my watch and notice that it’s close to boarding time. I know that Teddy upgraded our tickets at the same time Brian did his and Justin’s. It’s a relief to know that I will be away from Michael “Complain Train” Novotny-Bruckner in just a few more minutes. At the very least, it’s going to save me a lawsuit and some serious jail time for assault and battery.

 

“The other therapists and I have decided to begin as we all mean to go on. That said, you are each going to be given two notebooks- one for individual sessions and the other to address what you need to work on as a couple. The second notebook will be exchanged between you both at the beginning of each session, while it’s completely up to the individual to share their private thoughts with their mates. All of us hope that by the end of this journey, you will understand yourselves and each other better. So your first assignments will be an entry into each book. The question you will each answer is what you want out of this experience.”


“But I don’t need any damn individual sessions! The idea of me coming was to fix things between me and Ben. Also now that I know the guys are coming, we can have some fun too. Even though we went away last week, it still didn’t give me that ‘old times sake’ feel, since they were all so preoccupied with their whatever-we-are-calling-them-this-week.”


“Whatever… you know what Michael, we’re still wondering what to call you!” I can’t help it, I explode at him.


“Look you, Drugged up imitation of Boy Wonder, you…”


“That’s enough, Novotny!” Bernard yells.


“It’s Novotny-Bruckner, thank you very much. And I don’t appreciate the way I’m being treated! Ben, aren’t you going to say anything?” He looks over to Ben, whose face is darkening in anger by the second.


“What would you have me say, Michael? Especially since I agree that it’s enough! Look, if you don’t want to be here; if you don’t want to fix things, then why don’t you just go home. Go home, Michael!”


He gasps, as do Ted and Emmett. Something about that statement, said that exact same way, has some significance to all of them. As for Brian, he and Justin appear to be silently communicating again, casting looks and smirks in Michael’s direction. It’s apparent that they agree with Ben, as do I.


“I told you about that in confidence, Ben. And I don’t appreciate you throwing that up in my face right now!”


“It’s not my fault that I understand completely why David chose that exact wording, now is it? If you weren’t acting like this is some game, maybe that sentence wouldn’t have crossed my mind. All you’ve done since you arrived is act as a brat throwing a tantrum, and threatening to take their ball home because you’re not getting your way. Understand this, Michael...this is it! There will be no more chances given and I will walk away from this marriage without a regret. I’m trying. Whether you do or not is entirely up to you.” Ben states emphatically, before turning back to Bernard. “I’m sorry for the interruption. Please continue.”


Bernard inclines his head in acknowledgment, although the shock is plainly written on his face. I think it’s safe to say we all have that look right now. It’s a rare day when any of us see Zen Ben almost about to lose control and actually yell at Michael. I guess we all have our breaking points, and it looks like Ben is about to reach his.


I draw him into my side as he’s about to pass me and whisper, “Calm down, Professor. Sometimes you have to show a child how to act by example. Don’t let Michael think he’s winning, or misinterpret your ‘trying’ statement as begging him to stay. We all know he’ll do that.”

He nods at me and gives me a brief hug before turning to face Bernard, who is still at the front.


“To correct Michael’s assumption…”


“Mr. Novotny-Bruckner, if you will. You don’t know me personally like that,” Michael interrupts again.


Bernard rolls his eyes. “And hope never to,” we hear him mutter clearly before casting a sympathetic look in Barry’s direction. He clears his throat. “Fine! To correct Mr. Michael Novotny-Bruckner’s assumption, there will not be an opportunity to ‘hang out’ with your friends. Each couple has their own brand of work to do, and it will require being present mentally, physically, and emotionally, to accomplish your goals both as individuals and as a couple. We all are of the same mind that just like charity begins at home, therapy begins with you, the individual. The single sessions are designed so that you can speak freely before talking those things that bother you over with your partner. It’s designed to give you a safe space so that instead of projecting your own issues onto your relationship, you’ll be able to tell your partners what you need from them in order to work through them. It’s obvious to all of us- your Professional Solution Representatives, since some of you have a problem with the words shrink or counselor, Brian…” That causes most of us to laugh. Michael is still scowling with his arms folded. But the fact that he’s still here must mean something, right? Bernard starts again after the chuckling dies down. “...that the core of what you are going through, whatever insecurities you are feeling within yourselves, has now filtered into your relationships. We don’t want that and I’m certain you don’t either. So take the six hour flight to really delve into your psyches and write down what you want to take away from this experience. Be specific in your goals, outline it if you have to, or just put it in the form of a letter, but underline the things you really want to work on. And remember, we’re here to help you with this so don’t be afraid to ask questions. There is no right or wrong way to approach this but there are different alternatives to how you process the information given to you by your PSRs and your partners.”


He’s finished just in time for the first class passengers to board. As I look around, the only one still standing waiting to be called from our group is Michael. I debate on whether I should upgrade his ticket myself in the spirit of fairness when I feel a familiar touch on my shoulder.


“Don’t you dare, Blake. He’s made his bed, let him wallow in it,” Ted tells me. I have to admit that I am once again surprised by Teddy, who is usually pro-Michael.


“Why not?”


“Outside of not wanting to hear him whine the whole flight, I think Ben needs the break and that Justin needs the distance.”


I look past him to see Ben speaking in soft tones to Brian. He looks so drained all of a sudden, but it’s Justin that holds my interest. He’s on his phone, but the rigidity of his posture is speaking volumes. “I guess Justin is no longer willing to wait the week, huh?”


Teddy shook his head. “No, he’s not. Michael has finally pushed him too far with what he said to Emmett before Bernard got up to address us.”


“What did he say that was any different than what he normally does? What did Justin overhear?”


“The one thing that Brian has kept from him. The truth of why Michael got punched by Brian in the first place… that he wished Chris Hobbs had finished the job.”


“Oh. My. God!”


“Yeah. And that’s why Justin needs to be disconnected from Michael as soon as possible. Otherwise, I fear we’ll be bailing him out of jail.”


“And Brian doesn’t know that Justin knows?”


“If he did, Michael’s flight would be automatically cancelled, because he’d be on his way to the morgue. If there’s one thing- one person this has to be kept from right now- it’s Brian. Emmett already had to stop Drew from hurting Michael, so could you imagine if he had to stop Brian?”

 

Suddenly I’m damn glad that we will all be on opposite ends of the island.

 

 

Chapter End Notes: