- Text Size +

 

 

 

BEFORE I LET GO: BOOK II: CHAPTER 3

ALEX

The island is as beautiful as I remembered it. Flying over it, only to bank a sharp right to land at the airport is always such a thrill. Ironically, I always get a feeling of coming home when we visit. Perhaps when we retire… I shake my head to clear it of thoughts that are a very long way off. Right now, I have to focus on containing my clients before the menace to sanity makes his presence known once again. Fortunately, those of us in First Class get to disembark before the others. But since Michael is in Business Class, he’ll likely run over old people and children to get off the plane, simply to make his displeasure known. I hope the flight attendants haven’t had too much trouble with him.


“Enjoy your stay on the island, Dr. Wilder. Any idea when we’ll see you again?” Tony, our attendant asks me.


“As of right now, I can’t say. However, I know it won’t be before we’ve been here a month. There’s a lot of work to be done with my clients. Speaking of work, how are you and Javier doing since your stay? Hopefully better?” That’s the thing about working in this capacity; you don’t easily forget your clients, even when there is no longer a need for you.


“Javi and I are doing okay. Every day is a struggle, especially with the distance because of our jobs. But it’s also a chance to make the right decisions for ourselves, which is what you’ve told us. I’m proud to say that it’s working. I’ve finally laid it all out there about how his family treats him, while talking about him little better than a dog, behind his back. He listened, and has finally learned how to say ‘no’ to their incessant demands. As a result, they no longer have a wedge to drive between us.” He finishes with quite possibly the brightest smile next to the one I’m trying to restore to Justin.


Tony and Javier were in even worse shape than Brian and Justin, so I now have hope that things will turn out well for the royal couple of Liberty Avenue. “Well keep up the good work. Remember to always communicate, even if you know the truth will hurt the other person. Better that you hear it from your partner who will dole it out with compassion, than the vicious minded, who will use what they can, seeking to split you up. And if you guys need me, I’m only a phone call or a short trip away, okay?”


“I’ll remember. And you remember that although you are working, take time out to have a little fun too,” he says before moving off to speak with other passengers who are still gathering their things.


“He’s right, you know,” Barry whispers in my ear, chuckling.


“I know. And I also know the first bit of fun I want to have once we get our clients settled.”


“Oh, do you now? Well do tell! Does it involve lube, the beach, or christening the entire villa?”


“All three and so much more. I think I’m going to give Brian and Justin tomorrow off, so they can get acquainted with the island. And as for you, I think I’m going to spend the day making sure that you remember that your ass belongs to me.”


He shivers in my arms. “As if I can forget that, Alex. But as long as you remember the same, we shouldn’t have any problems.” He kisses me and I’m fucking lost.


“Uh, guys! Can we move it along here? Some of us really want a drink!” Bernard gripes from behind us.


I laugh. “I’ve never met someone who has more trouble with nerves when the plane is landing than when it is taking off. Really Bernie, you should speak to someone about that.”


“Fine, Alex. Barry clear your schedule for the afternoon. I’m sure Alex won’t mind since this is a medical situation. See? Feel my heart?”


We all laugh then while Duke cuffs Bernard in the back of the head. “Come on, Nitwit. Let’s leave the lovebirds to their quiet afternoon, while we get pleasantly buzzed. Just be sure you don’t take advantage of me.”


“As if, and fuck you very much! Besides, when… if I decide to take advantage of you, you’ll be the first to know.”


Something tells me that Duke won’t have to wonder very long about what Bernard will decide. If only those two had gotten their heads out of their own asses and into each other’s a long time ago, they might both have been much happier. It’s not that they are miserable being as they are, but, where Ted and Emmett were ill-suited, Bernard and Duke are perfect for each other. Hopefully they will stop being so fucking cautious and finally admit what’s been so obvious to everyone else for years now. Watching them flounder in fly-by-night relationships is fucking exhausting!


Twenty minutes later, those of us who were in First Class are waiting on the shoreline for the loudmouth who wasn’t. I know that my thoughts should be kinder to Michael Novotny, but I’ve always been taught to call a spade a spade. In short, Michael is a special kind of pain in the ass. Worse than that though, is he’s a smart pain in the ass. It’s going to take weeks of deprogramming what Michael and his mother took years to do and reinforce at will where Brian is concerned. I can only hope that without his influence, Brian will really see the truth of his interactions with the Novotnys, and how they have consistently led to the breakdown in his communications with others, especially Justin. He has to be made to understand, or he will lose Justin and everyone else as a result. It’s not even that they will intentionally pick sides; it’s that they won’t know how to relate to Brian shutting them out again after all they’ve been through.


And that is the other thing I must tackle head-on without sugarcoating the truth. Justin has to see that his inaction was just as bad as reacting in the first place. By not forcing Brian to make a decision, out of fear about his place in Brian’s life, Justin ultimately gave Michael the power over him that he craved. I understand that it has always been like walking a tightrope for the younger man, but his mistake was in standing still. It’s a lot like Flip Wilson’s skit of ‘The Devil Made Me Do It’, but without the humor. Justin’s silence gave Michael permission to keep trying his tricks; gave him the way in between him and Brian. So whereas there is certainly blame on Brian’s shoulders, some fault lies with Justin too.   

 

As I stand here with the rest of the counselors, I watch my clients. Brian still looks to be in a bit of discomfort, but at least Justin is standing next to him now. They are speaking with two gentlemen who look familiar, but I can’t think of where I’ve seen them before. The conversation, while seeming relaxed, has a connotation of tension coming off of each of them in waves. Emmett, Ted, Blake, Drew, and Ben are standing off to one side, as if they are giving the quartet their privacy. Something is definitely going on though, and with the advent of Michael Novotny from the plane just now, I know as sure as I’m standing here that it won’t be good news.