- Text Size +

 

 

THE WIFE or THE MISTRESS: BOOK II: CHAPTER 3


TED

I wave back as Ben moves off, walking alongside Barry while Michael follows as if he is a lamb being led to the slaughter. I have to admit that I’m proud of Brian, Justin, and Ben. I never thought that I would see the day that Brian would back Justin’s actions up so thoroughly as to leave no doubt in Michael’s mind that they were together and will be for the foreseeable future.


“You knew, didn’t you, Teddy?” Emmett interrupts my thoughts, arms folded across his chest. Right now, I can’t tell if it’s in anger or in hurt.


I nod. “Yes, I did…. well not the particulars of how it all came about. But I did file the paperwork and combine everything as was my job. You’re not…”


He sighs deeply. “No Teddy, I’m not mad at you. I know how much Brian values his privacy and you honor his trust in you. It’s just that…”


“What is it, Em?”


“It’s just that they keep having to fight these insurmountable odds all by themselves. It would have been nice to know so that we could’ve helped them. God, Teddy we’ve been here since the beginning of the Brian and Justin saga, and I can honestly say, that we never really know what’s going on until after the situation is resolved or has gotten so far beyond their control that they can’t hide it anymore. I mean, did you hear them say that they are back in the Ethan Era of their lives? My God, Teddy…”


“I know, Em. I know, but they have to fix it. We each have our own problems. Perhaps with Justin’s main antagonist basically contained, they will have a chance to get it all out in the open.”


“Are you both serious right now?!” Blake interrupts.


“What do you mean?”


“I think that Drew and I are of the same mind when it comes to Michael and being in close proximity to Brian, even if it is at opposite ends of an island. Someone, somewhere is going to believe that pitiful, boy-next-door act that he’s perfected over the years. He’ll find someone, or people, to buy into his band of bullshit. Look, I’ll admit that Duke, Bernard, and the other counselors have done and are doing the best they can by all of us. But I just don’t think we should get complacent in believing that Michael won’t still make trouble, especially for Brian and Justin, in whichever way he finds to be conducive to his goals.”  


Duke interjects, “We’re working on that as we speak.”


“What do you mean?” I ask, because I’m genuinely confused. I thought this was supposed to be considered a safe space for all of us.


Bernard sighs heavily. “It came to our attention while we were at the airport that there are some… people from Brian and Justin’s past, who are also vacationing here with their partners.”


“Fucking hell! Isn’t there anything you can do?”


“At the moment, no. They all paid their money, so we can’t kick them off the island. But with you all being in opposite corners, it will hopefully minimize contact. It doesn’t mean that all of you can’t roam around freely, but that you should at least be aware of risks in doing so. And remember that this place is set up so that there are individual resorts within the main one, so there is always something to do within your own areas.”


I think about what he’s just said and then weigh it against what we know about Michael and his motives. “Well, all we can do at this point is hope for the best. In the meantime, I guess we all better get settled into our own corners. You said the rest of the day is ours to do with as we please?”


“Yes, Ted. Make no mistake, tomorrow begins the hard work. But for today, feel free to explore your corner of what will become your home for at least the next month. If you all need any of us after you’ve gotten yourselves settled, we’ll be at the main resort and will be easily accessible to you.”


Strangely, that makes me feel better. I know it might not make sense, but even though Blake and I are talking more, we’re still not us yet. I feel his hand on my shoulder and looking into his wary eyes, I know he just had the exact same thought. “I think I can speak for Blake and I when I say that I’m glad, Bernard. It’s nice to know that there will be an impartial party to pull our heads out of our asses should the need arise.”


“Just take this time out today to have fun and explore. Don’t talk about any serious issues between you two today. Be tourists, for God’s sake! Learn how to be together again without the tension which has become as a third person in your relationship- Michael Novotny, notwithstanding. The hard work begins tomorrow so just enjoy tonight. Okay?”


We both nod, and with hugs and kisses to Em and Drew, we head off with Bernard.


BLAKE

I got to the cart with Ted and Bernard when I remember that I have to… “Be right back. I have to give Giant a message.”


“Giant?” Bernard asks as Ted chuckles.


“Yeah. It’s what we call Drew,” I confirm. “Diane texted while we were in the air. Everything’s a go down in Tampa. At her request, I have to ask him to dispatch a few of his guards down there to help them clear out the warehouse. Apparently, Flora is trying to enlist her brothers to intimidate the workers from even entering the building.”  


“Don’t worry, Squirt. I’ll make the call. You and Teddy going to be okay? You have my number if you need to talk, you know.”


“I know, Giant, but I think there’s hope for us in some small way. The fact that he’s still willing to help me in spite of all we’re going through…”


He nods. “That’s just Ted though. It’s not hard to see why he and Em are friends. They are cut from the same cloth. But a word of advice: Tell him everything and don’t hold back.”


“I w…”


“Bullshit, Squirt. I’ve gotten to know you pretty well. The one thing you will do is put Ted’s feelings above your own regardless of how the last year has gone between you. And don’t think I’m just talking to you; I’ll have to follow my own advice. But I’m determined that Em and I are going to be even better than we once were.  If that means no-holds-barred and putting everything I have on the line, then that’s what it will be. You have to, too. Look at it this way, at least you won’t fall apart from the hidden things you’ve kept from him. Give him all of the information he needs to make an informed decision about what he can live with, and then stay or go from there.”


I reach out to hug him because ultimately that was what I needed to hear. I have to give myself permission to be completely honest and fearless throughout this whole process. Those two qualities of myself had been lost many years ago through the beatings and verbal backlash I endured within a less than accepting family. Their loss is what led me to leaving Tampa and my long and varied history with substance abuse. I used when I didn’t want to feel the emotional pain I was in from losing myself, but I used harder when I would try to forget why I was in the pain in the first place.  


“I will, Giant, I promise. It’s just going to take time.”


“I know, but give yourself- you AND Ted- that time to process everything. I’m sure that you aren’t in this by yourself. You both need each other. Remember, if anyone can understand what you’re going through, it’s your husband.”

 

He left me to process what he’d said to return to Emmett’s side. I have to inwardly smile because there was a time when both he and I were jealous of the relationship that our spouses have with each other. During our time on the way to Tampa, we picked it apart as a means of distraction of what I would be meeting there, and I can see that what he said is right in all facets. The time for secrets has long passed between Teddy and I. I just have to trust that whatever the outcome of full disclosure is, it’s going to be the right one. Please, dear God, let it be the RIGHT one!

 

Walking back over to Teddy, I frown because he is on the phone again. I swear, sometimes I wonder what he used his right hand for the most before coming into my life. But I’m coming to realize that if it wasn’t for the way Ted now handles and views his business, I may not have my Teddy at all. It’s quite humbling when put in that perspective. Ted is not one to half-ass anything, and sadly that extended to his foray into the dark side of life. I know there are things he never told me, beginning with exactly what his rock bottom was. It’s something that we never discussed and in truth, he doesn’t even really know mine. So I guess that’s something else he and I have to address, because it seems to be affecting us both again. I wonder if he’s having the drug dreams too. Sometimes I think that he is… I mean, Meth is such a fickle and mean-spirited mistress that once you start to dream or crave her again, it’s almost impossible to fight the allure of lady Crystal. But he just brushes the moments off, excusing his inattentiveness or restlessness as work-related. And I bought into his reasons except… I sigh deeply. I’ll just have to wait and see what he tells me, but in the meantime, I have to follow Drew’s advice.