- Text Size +

 

 

 

FIRE AND ICE: BOOK II: CHAPTER 7: REVELATIONS Part 4


DREW


“So, how do we deal with the twerp now?” I ask. There is no mistaking my tone; I’m pissed off beyond measure. But hearing Brian and Justin’s story kind of puts things into perspective for me.


“There’s only so much we can do, until Michael makes his next move,” Justin says.


“But what about the other factions on the island?” Bernard asks. Wait! Other factions? Oh fucking hell, now what?!


Alex clears his throat before speaking. “We have someone watching Michael’s every move this evening. He’s already run into one of them.”


“Who?” Brian growls, and I’m right there with him.


“David Cameron. But he’s here with his partner.”


“Why does that name sound familiar?” Blake asks.


“He was Michael’s ex before he met Ben,” Ted answers.


“Oh so, you mean he was Michael’s tool?” 


Justin snickers. “In a manner of speaking, and that’s a pretty accurate description, both in function and personality.”


“Why would you say that?” Ted asks. “I personally couldn’t see too much wrong with him.”


“It wasn’t so much that there was something wrong with him, Teddy. At least not from my point of view,” Em answers. “It was that he was completely blind to what Michael was doing in regards to their relationship. There was a reason that Michael had issues with accepting money from David…”


“But that’s kind of ridiculous, since he accepted money from Brian all the time.”


“Yes, but Brian wouldn’t have expected anything from Michael in return. With David, it was pretty obvious that if Michael was his partner, he would have had to meet certain standards of behavior that the manchild would have balked at. In fact, he did.”


“Ah, the trip to France. How could I have forgotten about that?” Ted asks, chuckling.


“What about it?” I ask. I wasn’t around for this part of their history, Blake was in and out, but Justin was around for much of it. So it’s not that much of a surprise when he answers the question.


“David’s first wife was a debutante, even if she was a well-educated one in her own right. However, she was also raised to expect a certain standard of living from her husband, and in return, she applied herself to home and hearth. One of David’s biggest pet peeves was that Michael had to work weekends, and therefore wasn’t readily available the way Laurie was. But that still wasn’t Michael’s core issue. 


“To Michael’s mind, and NUMEROUS complaints, David was trying to turn him into a housewife. Which to Michael meant that David expected home and hearth to be taken care of, in exchange for David taking care of all the bills. You know, the whole ‘He who controls the pursestrings’ theory. Furthermore, due to Michael’s new status, keeping tabs on Brian, Ted, and Emmett would have been nigh on impossible. Because with David controlling everything- including what Dr. Cameron considered acceptable after hour pursuits- there was no way Michael would have been released to just hang out with the guys in Woody’s and Babylon. David often commented that those places were too juvenile for Michael to be seen in constantly. If Michael wasn’t seen in David’s company within those places, then how could anyone be jealous of him, especially Brian?”


“Brian and David’s constant contention fed Michael’s enormous ego,” Ted inputs, wryly. “And even though Brian’s dislike of David had little or nothing to do with jealousy, that’s how Michael took it.”


I nod, and ask, “So basically this Dr. Cameron person is going to potentially become a problem?”


“No,” Alex says. At all of our puzzled looks, he continues. “He talked with Michael tonight, and according to our employee, David has disabused Michael of some notions he may have been harboring. Apparently, time, distance, and a stable relationship has given Dr. Cameron a different perspective on how his and Michael’s relationship ended.”


“What do you mean?” Brian asks the question which is burning in all of our minds. 


“A little while ago, David had a health scare…”


“Bullshit! That man was almost as neurotic about his health as I am about mine,” Brian answers.


“And yet, look at what happened to you,” Alex retorts. Brian sat incredibly still for a moment, before he nodded. What was that about? I don’t have time to ask about it, as Alex continues. “So that particular health scare caused him to examine his entire relationship with Michael, and his interactions with the gang, but especially Brian.”


“And what did he come up with?” Justin asks.


“That he was a complete idiot for falling for Michael in the first place. Even though he didn’t say it like that, but it was the core of the conversation. He also warned Michael against interfering in your relationships, by using his own similar experience regarding his partner’s former best friend.”


“And we all know how that advice was received, don’t we?” Blake shook his head. “So David’s not a factor, but who else is here? Or is he trying to reach out to people and get them here instead? We already know that Tino has been contacted, even if it’s through an intermediary of some sort.”


Duke, our counselor, turns to look at Brian and Justin. Without a word to either of them, we could all see the moment the identity of the mystery guest registers in their minds. “Fuck, the chin-rat is on the island?” Brian gives voice to the thought, even as Duke confirms it.


“Yes, he works in one of the restaurants here as a musician. How he ended up here is quite a story, in and of itself.” Duke shakes his head. “Of course, he has two choices here: he either leaves you alone, or he loses his job.”


“Wait! You said that how he ended up here is a story in and of itself,” Ben interrupts. “So what happened?”


“Karma, plain and simple,” Duke says, and I can tell he’s somewhat trying to keep the glee out of his voice. 


“Duke… get on with it, man!” Bernard exclaims, exasperation clear in his tone. I don’t blame him at all.


“Oh alright!” Duke laughs. “Well, it seems that Mr. Ethan Gold followed the mandates of his record label by dating, and ultimately marrying his agent’s daughter. The stipulation maintaining his contract and prenup was he that was to not only play straight, but maintain his hetero status at all costs. In return, he would be given a monthly stipend of five grand, whether he was recording, touring, or not. Well, things were working out for during the first three years after the breakup with Justin. However, what he was not prepared for was that the young man he cheated with was his wife’s cousin, who was traveling abroad to rid himself of the heartbreak over a lover who was in reality involved with someone else…”


“Oh shit! Ethan got caught with his hand in the proverbial cookie jar again, didn’t he?” Justin asks barely choking back his laughter.


Duke smirks back, “It wasn’t his hand…” That causes laughter amongst us all, as the innuendo is more than clear. “It probably wouldn’t have been so bad, except that it happened during the release party for his new CD, which just happened to be on the wedding anniversary, inside of the car his wife had just bought him as an anniversary present. They might have even been able to cover it up, if the wife or even his father-in-law had found them. Instead, it was another of Ethan’s secret conquests of a week prior to the incident, who was in the company of Ethan’s daughter, Liberty. Needless to say that he’s lost everything, and is working here to pay off the remaining balance of the contract, child support, and alimony to his former wife.”


“Stupid fucker!” Justin mutters, before saying, “Well, we know what Michael will use to entice Ethan to help him in breaking up me and Brian.”


“He’d be a fool to try that since there is a non-fraternization clause for the staff in reference to guests. Oh we know that some have disregarded it, but that was when it was a mutual decision between the staff and the guests who took their fancy. It was all very hush-hush, and even if we asked, it was denied. But Ethan’s situation is different. Michael may very well approach him about trying to get you back, Justin…


“I mean, really is there any doubt that he will?” Justin asks, rhetorically, but Duke continues.


“But Ethan may have finally learned a long overdue lesson in self-preservation. It’s why I indicated that it’s his choice to make. However, we will be watching this situation, and all the rest of you very closely. If this ploy of distraction doesn’t work, I don’t put it past Michael to try something else, along the same lines but with unknown variables thrown into the mix.” 


Hearing Duke’s explanation, I understand a bit better where the counselors’ inaction can come in handy. It’s like they are giving the employees a chance to either save or burn their own bridges, before having to fire anyone. Since the non-frat rule is in plain english, in black and white, they cannot negate that they were warned upon signing their employment contract. So if they are fired within the scope of a clear violation in policy, they cannot ask for restitution or unemployment from the resort. It’s a seriously smart move.


“Was the situation ever made public?” Brian asks.


“Very public, since Ethan was dumb enough to contest the divorce when she asked for it. Dina Marlow might have gone easy on him, if he didn’t think he could convince her to stay married to him. The only contact he’s allowed to have with Dina or his daughter is by way of her attorney, and that’s only to discuss the terms and conditions of his spousal and child support payments- such as if he stops working. He applied here on the island, and the restaurant hired him. Fortunately for him, we give him room, board, and a small stipend of about a hundred and fifty dollars a month. That’s enough to cover his meals- regardless of if he eats at the restaurants, or cooks in his room, he still has to pay- his clothes and other personal items. But the rest of his check each week goes to Dina and his daughter. And let me tell you, we don’t pay ‘cheap’ on the island.”


“Well then, I guess, like you said, we have to just sit back and wait to see what Ethan will do,” Brian confirms. “In the meantime, Sunshine will get that information to Carl via Jenn, and we go on with business as usual. We get our shit straight, and let the chips fall where they may where Michael is concerned.”


“Ben, are you okay about this?” Barry asks him.


“Not really, but… well, what else can be done at this point? Michael and I are over. And hearing about all of his machinations, I have to be honest in saying that I’m glad we are. I’m going to wisely use this time to concentrate on myself, so that if there is ever a next time for romance in my life, I won’t fall for the stupid.”


“You didn’t fall for the stupid the first time,” Justin assured him. “You fell for the calculating. But now that you know what to look for, you won’t do so again. Just make sure he’s a good guy, and that your potential mother-in-law isn’t the proverbial wolf in sheep’s clothing.”


“I’m sorry that she hurt you like that, Sunshine,” Brian pulls him close.


“Don’t be. You didn’t do it. Besides, I have a feeling by the time this is all over, she’s going to be sorrier than she ever bargained for at this juncture of her life.”


“Yeah, you’re right. Michael is going to have to move back in with her. Talk about punishment!” Ben laughs, and it’s good to hear.


“Well, it’s ultimately what she wanted, isn’t it? She’s going to really learn that she should have been very careful about what she wished for,” I add, slyly.


And hearing my brothers and lover laughing uproariously, as they spin different scenarios of contention while doing almost perfect imitations of the Madam Screech and her offspring, Sir Whine, I can’t help but join in the hilarity. All-in-all, this incredibly emotionally-charged meeting has been very informative and productive. We now have some idea of what we’re facing in terms of Michael and his continued machinations, both individually and collectively. But there is one thing still bothering me, that I won’t bring up now since I don’t want to put a damper on the now-lighthearted mood. But what health scare could Brian and David Cameron possibly have in common?

 

It’s going to plague me until I know for certain that my Skinny Twin is healthy and whole. Please God, let Brian be alright!