- Text Size +

 

If It's Broke Then Fix it

Chapter 7






Day 3 (continued)

Justin stomped down the lane. His sneakers made crunching noises in the frozen snow. Thank God the snow wasn't deep. He hadn't taken time to put on his boots, or his hat, or his gloves either. He rubbed his ears, turned up the collar on his coat and then shoved his hands deep into the pockets of the jacket.

Justin slowed his pace, realizing that he didn't really have anywhere to go. Charging forward at full speed would only get him to the end of the lane that much faster. Justin knew he would turn around and come back once he got there. He wasn't foolish enough to walk along the main road wearing a black jacket and with no flashlight. That was a surefire recipe for getting creamed by the cars that were always speeding by.

Slowing down gave Justin time to think. He had been angry all day. Brian and Bree had both ticked him off. It was like Bree was Brian's daughter not his. Bree always wanted 'Dada' to do everything, everything fun that was. Justin was useful for clean laundry and meals and making beds, but 'Dada' got to dress their daughter and brush her hair and buy her anything she wanted. All Bree had to do was ask, and 'Dada' said yes. It didn't matter what Justin thought.

That's why he had stormed off when Bree wouldn't even let him brush her fucking hair that morning.

"Dada makes it perfect," Justin mumbled to himself using a falsetto to replicate Bree's comment. "Well, fuck Dada!"

Justin trudged along, his eyes on the ground, lost in thought.

"Justin! Justin baby, is that you?" a voice called.

Justin looked up to see Emmett standing in the doorway of his cottage.

"What are you doing here?" Justin asked. He couldn't help but smile at the big grin on Emmett's face.

"I live here," Emmett laughed. "You look like you're freezing. I just made a pot of coffee. Come in and have some."

"Um … I shouldn't," Justin said looking back up the lane at Edna's Treasures.

"Sure you should. I'm not taking no for an answer." Emmett grabbed Justin's sleeve and pulled him inside.

"Drew's watching some old sports movie, so come to the kitchen and I'll get you that coffee."

Seated at the kitchen table, his jacket slung over the back of the chair, Justin started to relax.

"Did you and Brian have a fight?" Emmett asked knowingly.

Justin looked up at Emmett from where he had been running his fingers up and down the handle of his mug. "Not yet," he said cryptically.

"Oh, so it's brewing?"

"Yes."

"Care to share?"

Justin sighed. "This has been coming for some time."

"What has?"

"It's hard to explain," Justin said carefully.

"I have a whole pot of coffee and a good set of ears."

"Yeah, you do. I know that. Okay, here goes." Justin took a long breath. "For quite a while now I've been feeling … left out."

"Left out? Of what?"

"The family."

"But you and Brian were great at Christmas, and Bree is just delicious enough to eat," Emmett gushed.

Justin smiled. "Brian and Bree are so close. Sometimes there doesn't seem to be room for me," Justin admitted reluctantly.

"Oh, but I thought you would love that your husband and daughter were so close."

"Most of the time I do. It's just every now and then something hits home, and I feel like a fifth wheel."

"Are you just a teensy, weensy bit jealous by any chance?" Emmett asked, scrunching up his face in that way that meant he knew he was treading in forbidden territory, but felt compelled to do it anyway.

"Jealous?" Justin asked in surprise. Emmett nodded and took a sip of his coffee. "I don't think I'm jealous. Am I? Could I be? Really?"

"I think that might be it," Emmett replied with a smile. "And I can see why. Bree is like a miniature Brian Kinney."

"I know. How do you explain that?"

Emmett chuckled. "Brian is a force to be reckoned with. Briana has been well trained by Mr. Kinney."

"Maybe that's part of the problem. She's my biological daughter, but sometimes she's nothing like me at all."

"Oh, psssh," Emmett reacted. "She looks like you, she giggles like you, she's generous and kind like you, and most of all she paints like you."

Justin had to smile. "Yeah, she is quite the little artist."

"And she has Brian's death glare and his fashion sense. Certainly not yours. No offense meant."

"None taken," Justin grinned.

"And she can queen out with the best of them." Justin nodded. "And she plays soccer better than her Dada."

"Better?" Justin laughed.

"Don't tell him," Emmett cautioned reaching over to tap Justin's hand conspiratorially.

"I won't."

"And she's kind and generous like Brian doesn't want us to know he is. She's the perfect result of nature and nurture."

"She is pretty perfect, isn't she?"

"Yep. I'd say so."

"Say so about what?" Drew asked as he came into the kitchen and poured himself some coffee.

"We were just discussing the totally fabulous Miss Briana."

Drew laughed. "That's a good description of her. She's not like any other four year old I've ever met, not that I've met many four year olds, mind you."

"I should get back. Brian will be having a fit, especially if Bree is throwing a tantrum because I didn't tuck her in," Justin said with a glance at the clock. It was a little after Bree's bedtime.

"Doesn't sound like you're so dispensable after all," Emmett said softly as he walked Justin to the door. "Go, make up with the hubby."

"Thanks, Emmett, I'll see what I can do."

Drew handed Justin a flashlight and the two men waved as Justin started back up the lane.

"Everything all right?" Drew asked.

"I think it may be all fixed," Emmett smiled, before he shut the door against the cold January weather.

*****

When Justin reached the front door of Edna's Treasures, it flew open before he could reach for the handle.

"Where the fuck have you been? I've been worried sick. I was about to get in the car and go looking for you."

"You probably wouldn't have found me," Justin said. "I was at Emmett's."

"They're back? What were you doing there? You didn't have your hat or gloves." Brian held up both. He had one in each hand.

"I was in a hurry," Justin said trying not to smile. It was nice to be reminded how much he meant to Brian, how worried Brian had been since he left.

"Is Bree asleep?"

"She's in bed, but she said she wouldn't sleep until you came back and tucked her in."

Then Justin did smile. Brian couldn't have said anything better to him. "I'll go do that. And then we'll talk."

"Then we'll talk."

Justin walked down the hall and pushed the door to Bree's room. As it opened he saw her lying on her back, her big blue eyes staring at the ceiling. As soon as she heard the door, she leaped up and threw herself into her father's arms.

"I worried, Daddy. Where did you go?"

"I just went for a walk," Justin said gently holding her tight against his chest.

"It took a long time," Bree scolded. "You weren't here to tuck me in."

"Couldn't Dada do it?" Justin asked.

"No, you do it better. You tuck me in perfect."

"Perfectly," Justin corrected with a chuckle.

"Perfectly," Bree said kissing Justin's cheek.

"Did you say your prayers?"

"No, I was waiting for you."

"Then you better get them said."

"'Kay, Daddy."

Justin watched her kneel by her bed, as Joan had shown her. He listened to the little voice praying for her family and thanking God for all the things He had done for her. His heart swelled with love and contentment. They certainly had done something right with their daughter. She was a very special little girl.

Some time later Brian peeked into Bree's room to see what was taking Justin and Bree so long. Justin was curled up on the bed with their daughter. He had been reading her a story. It looked like they were both asleep. He was about to close the door when Justin opened his eyes.

Justin smiled up at Brian and Brian felt his heart melt. He didn't want to fight with his husband. He just wanted to hold him. Justin eased himself off the bed and came out into the hall, closing the door behind him.

"You still angry?" Brian asked.

"Nope."

"What happened?" Brian wanted to know as he followed Justin down the hall and into their bedroom.

"Emmett set me straight."

"About what?"

"About how you're better at doing hair and I'm better at putting little girls to bed. Wait, that didn't come out quite right," Justin laughed.

"I don't care how it came out as long as you're not mad at me any longer," Brian said pulling Justin into his arms.

"Not only am I not mad, I'm going to give you a night to remember, big boy."

Brian stared at his husband who began shedding his clothes. He didn't know what had happened at Emmett's, but he'd have to thank the big fairy later. Right now he had other more important matters to take care of. He pulled Justin against him and they kissed until neither could breathe.

*****

"Good evening, ladies," Seamus greeted the girls as they entered the B & B after having dinner at a local restaurant. "Did you have a good day today?"

"It was lovely. We had lunch at the Shark House. They have a Key Lime pie to die for," Melanie exclaimed.

"We also had a chance to go through the Lightener Museum. The glass exhibit is magnificent!" Lindsay said. She had enjoyed the paintings and statuary as well.

"I try to go to the museum as often as I can. I find it peaceful and I love the feeling of going back in time."

"Yes, that's how I feel too. And we've had a wonderful dinner. I think we're going to be at least ten pounds heavier by the time we get back home."

"Nonsense, spend a day in Orlando and you'll walk it all off. I guarantee it. Would you care to join me in a glass of wine?"

Melanie and Lindsay exchanged looks then nodded at their host.

"We'd love to," Melanie answered for both.

Seamus brought out a mellow wine from the local winery then filled three glasses.

"To a peaceful holiday," Seamus toasted as he raised his glass.

"To a peaceful holiday," the girls echoed, raising their own glasses then sipping the wine.

The trio settled in for a calm and peaceful evening.

*****

"Jesus, Justin!" Brian groaned. He felt like Justin was extracting every ounce of strength and energy and pleasure and … love from him. His head was spinning and every cell in his body was on fire. His synapses crackled and sparked. He felt like he was ready to explode.

Justin was sitting on Brian's cock riding him for all he was worth. Brian thrust up to meet each downward movement that Justin made. Sweat poured from each of them even though the cottage was cool in the dead of winter.

"Justin!" he yelled.

"Yes, my darling Brian," Justin gasped as he rose up one more time, twisted and squeezed, creating delicious ecstasy for both of them. And then they did explode with a cry wrenched deep from inside each of them.

Justin fell onto Brian's chest. They both strained trying to breathe, when breath felt impossible. They were spent, covered in a sheen of sweat, hearts pounding, skin burning,
world spinning. They lay clinging to each other for some time, neither knew how long.

After a few minutes or hours Brian opened his eyes. He kissed the top of Justin's head where it lay on his chest. That small action took most of his remaining strength, but he heard Justin sigh in satisfaction and could feel his husband's lips curl into a smile.

"You promised a night to remember, and you certainly delivered," Brian whispered against Justin's hair. He kissed the golden locks one more time.

"I'm glad you think so. I wasn't sure I was up to that. We haven't used that position for a while."

"Are we getting old?" Brian asked with a frown. "We never used to even think about positions. We just did whatever we felt like, what came naturally."

"That was pretty fucking natural a few minutes ago," Justin laughed. "And you'll never be old," he assured his husband. "You'll always be young and beautiful."

"Only if you stay that way too."

"Count on it."

Brian lay silent thinking about how things had changed from that morning when Justin had yelled at him. He needed to know what had triggered that outburst. "As much as I enjoyed this evening, I feel the need to bring up something that may spoil the mood."

Brian felt Justin's lips curve into another smile, where they were pressed against his chest. Brian squeezed Justin's shoulders as his arm wrapped around them. Justin shifted a bit, but kept his face against Brian's chest where it was not visible to his partner.

"I'm kind of embarrassed about it actually," Justin admitted.

"Embarrassed?"

"I … I think I was jealous of how Bree always wants you to do her hair. She turned me down flat when I offered to do it."

"You know our daughter only wants the best," Brian joked.

"Asshole!" Justin reacted with a laugh and a smack to Brian's chest. Then he added, "You do make her hair beautiful every day."

"My point exactly, so why were you jealous?"

"Sometimes…" Justin hesitated.

"Tell me."

Justin drew in a breath. "Sometimes I feel like you have all the fun with Bree and I have to be the chief cook and bottle washer … and main disciplinarian. I don't like that feeling."

"But she loves you to put her to bed and to read to her and to watch DVD's together … and paint."

"I know," Justin conceded. "It's … I guess I just forgot about that."

"And maybe it was a bit of me giving in to her as well?"

"You always do."

"Not always. Not on the really important issues."

"That's true," Justin admitted. His finger traced a lazy circle around Brian's nipple.

"Are we okay now? I'll try to tell her no more often if that will help."

"No, don't do that. Just support me on the really big stuff."

"I will," Brian promised.

"Emm reminded me of what a great little girl we have. We haven't done so bad at raising her, have we?"

"I think she's perfect."

Justin laughed. "You would. She's a miniature you, but I think she's perfect too. And she thinks you're pretty perfect yourself."

"Well I am," Brian chuckled.

"Your ego is so enormous," Justin chided.

"But you love me anyway."

"Got that right," Justin said as he gave Brian's nipple a sharp tweak.

"Stop that or I may have to ravish you all over again."

"Think you can get it up again, big guy?" Justin laughed.

"I know I can. It's rising as we speak."

"I'm ready, always ready for you," Justin whispered before he latched onto Brian's nipple with his mouth. He felt Brian lift slightly off the bed and heard the little groan of pleasure.

"Maybe we're not old at all," Brian gasped.

"Got that right too."