- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

“Why did Ben get to ride with Justin and Emmett?” Michael complained, as the Lindsay and Mel sighed again. This was the fifth time Michael had complained about it.

 

“Justin trying to help by listening to you, wasn’t something I enjoyed later.” I tell him.

 

“I wanted to thank them for helping me.” Michael tells me.

 

“I wanted Justin to enjoy his birthday present from me tonight.” I tell him.

 

“What did you get him?” Michael asks.

 

“The same gift he told me he wants every year, Michael. Brian.” Mel snickers.

 

“I at least bought something for the man I love.” Michael tells me.

 

“Justin and I agreed no presents, neither of us waits for special occasions. He said to him it was nicer when there wasn’t a reason.” I tell him.

 

“Plus you're both a pain in the ass to buy for.” Mel snickers.

 

We pulled up to the marina and were directed to the yacht. It definitely would fit everyone, but then, it was bought for a football team. Justin waved from the railing before coming down.

 

“I can officially say you've managed a party I like.” Justin tells me, pulling me down for a kiss.

 

“Justin, can I give you my present now, in case you don't like it.” Lindsay tells him, nervous.

 

Justin walked over to the car as Lindsay hands him a wrapped, flat, square box. He opened it and stared at it for a minute. “You found yourself.” He tells her, showing me the painting.

 

We all looked at it, and it was good. Not something Justin would do, but better than Lindsay’s past attempts. It was Justin, sitting with Gus and reading a story. In the background were abandoned art supplies.

 

“I like the details you put in.” Justin says, as he hugs her.

 

“I wanted to show you that I do see what you view as important, even when it doesn't seem like I do.” She tells him.

 

Justin took it with him, not listening when she said it could stay in the car. “We bought him another gift, Lindsay wanted to do that to show him she's able to see there is more than art in Justin’s world.” Mel tells me.

 

“Justin likes things people take time to make, more than buy.” Jen tells her, as she and Tucker headed towards the boat.

 

“Then why does he buy us all gifts?” Michael asks.

 

“He says it's what you want, and he's already given everyone a painting at one time or another.” I tell him.

 

“What did he get for Ben, he wouldn't tell me?” Michael asks me.

 

“He really outdid himself, I even signed the card.” I smirk, walking off to find Daphne.

 

She was sitting with Mariah. I sat with her, taking Mariah from her. “I have a feeling that one day Mariah and the twins are going to turn our hair gray.” Daphne tells me.

 

“Reminiscing about all the things you and Justin did, that you kept to yourselves?” I ask.

 

“It's killing you he's still the best at keeping a secret.” She laughs.

 

“I’m going to admit, yes, but only in hoping you see how far I've fallen. Next I’ll get Emmett involved, and since you caved so easily, I'll find out along with everyone who sits next to Emmett.” I tell her.

 

“It wasn’t anything that had to do with you and him. He suggested another artist for a show they wanted him for. Brian it’s not something he couldn’t do later, they left the offer open for when he wanted to do it.” She tells me.

 

“Ben seems to know, why is it a secret?” I ask her.

 

“He knew you wouldn’t be happy that he didn’t do the show. He had a reason for it though.” Daphne tells me.

 

“He gave up a show?” I ask.

 

“He did it for Gus.” She tells me.

 

“Explain, and why would he not just tell me?”  I ask.

 

“Ben probably knows only because Sam was invited to speak at Carnegie. Justin found out and suggested Sam.” She tells me.

 

“Why would they take Sam over Justin, they are nothing alike as artists.” I tell her.

 

“Sam wasn’t someone Mel and Lindsay needed around when they just made the decision to move back. Sam being in town wasn’t going to have our son closer to us.” Justin tells me.

 

“I would have paid for a gallery to offer Sam a show.” I tell him.

 

“Why bother when I have galleries willing to do anything for me.” He tells me.

 

“Or Rachel, who still pampers your ass.” Daphne tells on Justin.

 

“If I asked they would have. Rachel just likes the power representing my pampered ass gives her.” Justin tells her.

 

“At least it’s not another Kip.” I kiss Justin’s open mouth. “You two aren’t the only ones who keep secrets.” I walk off whistling.

 

JUSTIN

 

I found Ben sitting by himself reading and sat with him. “Happy Birthday.” I tell him.

 

“You too.” He tells me, putting down his book.

 

“I wanted to give you this from Michael and I. Michael asked me to tell you what I thought of it. Apparently even though he loved this book you never tried to get it published.” I tell him, handing him the book.

 

He opened it looking at the book with his name as the author. “What did you think of what you read?” He asks.

 

“It's a shame to not share it. It might have given the kid who thought it was a gift, a chance to take off the blinders and see the ‘gift’ wasn’t all he believed. “ I tell him.

 

“In the end the kid did it anyway.” Ben tells me.

 

“Is that why you didn't publish it?” I ask.

 

“I wrote it as a way to apologize to Michael for almost ruining our relationship.” He tells me.

 

“Remember the first issue of Rage?” I ask.

 

“How could Brian and I forget it, you and Michael disappeared, skipped out on us, and barely slept.” He laughs.

 

“Michael suggested we do the bashing, then didn’t want to. It was the first time Michael ever worried about my feelings.” I tell him. “At the time I didn’t have anyone who wanted to listen, but pretend it didn’t happen. I'm proud that my personal experience showed people who might have been through something life altering, that they weren’t alone in their world. I think with this book you could give others a way to see that they could have a healthy relationship and know the real gift wasn't achieved for the tragic character.” I tell him.

 

He opened the front of the book and signed it, handing it back to me. “Give this to Michael. Tell him he was my gift.” He tells me.

 

Michael read Ben’s inscription and hugged it, saying it's when he knew Ben was his hero too.

 

BRIAN

 

I really had Mikey believing I didn’t get Justin a present. He gave Ben his own book, and really, that was one only Justin seemed to get. Mel and Lindsay gave Justin and Ben paperwork - which Michael and I agreed should have been done years ago - making Justin and Ben legal guardians of Gus and JR. I waited until the everyone was done crying to give Ben the gift I felt he was owed.

 

“You and the rest of the gang get to go to see the fairies.” I tell him. “Make sure Cupcake wears something to thrill all the boys.” I smirk.

 

“It really helped.” Emmett tells everyone.

 

“I have something for Justin.” Michael interrupts me, handing Justin a comic.

 

Justin flipped through and groaned when he got to Ken and Zephyr doing what he told Michael would sell more. “Great job Mikey.” I tell him.

 

“Hunter reacted the same way. At least I got Justin something.” Mikey tells me.

 

“Nothing that Viagra won’t fix.” Ted whispers to me.

 

“Justin, just close it. I have something for you.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, JR and Gus are here.” Mel jokes.

 

“Gus helped so it’s fine Mel.” Emmett assures her.

 

“We agreed Brian.” Justin tells me.

 

“You gave me a present, and in a way this is for both of us.” I tell him, handing him an envelope.

 

Justin opened it and looked up at me. “You bought the cabin?” He asks.

 

“It’s where we made our best decision, and where I want us to spend every anniversary.” I tell him.

 

Justin got up and kissed me, because he only remembers it’s where we got married. I remembered my sons looking over the mountain range together.