- Text Size +

JUSTIN


My world consisted of trying to find a way to sleep. Unlike Brian, who could survive on practically cat naps, I couldn’t. I told everyone that I didn’t want anyone to help. I thought could do it, I had spent my life juggling multiple projects and traveling while doing it, how hard could two babies be? I spent days apologizing to all the parents who did this without anyone to help them. I hated Brian some nights, when he would act like this was easy, But then, for him everything was easy, because he controlled every aspect of his life, me, I tend to need him to organize my life when I forget things. Brian offered to stay home and let me out of the house for a day, but no, I was going to prove I could take care of the twins on my own. I missed Gus, even he could deal with Brent and Jamie when they both needed something at once. I can’t believe I’m admitting this, but I don’t excel at being a father. I had just gotten both the boys down for a nap and was considering just collapsing to the floor until the twin alarms went off again, when some asshole rings the doorbell, making both alarms start crying at the break in the silence that got them to sleep. I picked them both up, going down to the door and yelling over the screaming to come in.


Emmett, Hunter, and Ben came in, took one look at me, probably because I wanted to bawl along with my month old sons; then Emmett took Brent from me and Ben took Jamie, while Hunter grabbed my arm and took me to the bedroom, ordering me to get in bed and he’d tell me a bedtime story.


“Fuck off.” I tell him, but there was no strength behind it, I just didn’t have any left to spare.


“Come on, the saga of Ethan and Liberty Avenue just got funnier.” He tells me.


“What did Michael do now?” I yawned, adjusting my pillow.


HUNTER


I got in bed and laid on Brian’s pillow, sniffing, then turned over on my back. “Well your husband decided to see if he could give my dad a heart attack. He took Ethan to lunch at the diner. Which of course had every queen telling another, until they told the real drama queen of Liberty Avenue, who left some preteen to watch his shop, which wasn’t the smartest move, since Dad never locks up the collectables. He arrives at the diner, thinking once again Ethan is trying another way to steal Boy Wonder. He burst through the door and no one was sure what he was expecting to find, maybe Brian and Ethan trying to kick each other’s asses or something, but all he got was the two of them laughing about the twins together. Deb took Dad’s ear and dragged him back to his shop and told him they were talking about the show Ethan was being booked to do, and didn’t need Zephyr saving the day. Then she slapped Dad in the head when the shop door was wide open and the kids inside seemed to think the place was a free for all. An hour later Ethan shows up with a kid and a box of the stuff the kid took as his payment, leaving the rest of the kids to take armfuls of comics. So Zephyr had to admit the mad fiddler saved his collection.” I stopped when I saw Justin was sound asleep.


I had called Ben when Brian looked worried coming into Kinnetik. Brian only gets that look when Justin over exerts himself. I saw it when Justin had three shows in three cities back to back before the kids were born. Justin was trying to act like three nights in crowds didn’t bother him, but not only was he rubbing his hand all night but wincing at the lights that were actually dimmer than normal. Brian finally told me to handle the questions and took Justin to their room. I came in the next morning and Brian held his finger to his lips until he closed the bedroom door.


“How did it go?” He asked, quietly, as if any noise would wake Justin.


“Fine, the only people who asked where Justin was, understood when I said he felt the need to paint and left. Shelby and I gave them each a tour with one of us to answer any questions about the works on the walls, doing what we usually do at the shows. Everything was bid on, except for the one Justin didn’t want any bids on.” I tell him.


“Anyone offer for the one of Ben?” He asks.


“Yeah, and Dad better not make a big deal out of Justin giving it to him when the show is over. A guy offered in the triple digits for it, and was willing to go higher.” I tell him.


“It won’t matter, Justin wanted it for Michael and it will go to Michael.” He tells me.


“Did he feel any better?” I asked.


“He’ll be back to normal when we get home.” He tells me, getting up to check on Justin again.


I left when Brian laid down next to Justin and wrapped himself around Justin’s sleeping form. So seeing the same look but not as stressed, made me ask and Brian said Justin’s going to figure out babies don’t care about sleep. I called Emmett and told him it was time to show Justin why you have a family this big. Ben volunteered when Michael couldn’t get anyone to watch the shop. Deb and Jen were on their way after Deb finished making her Sunshine’s favorites.

An hour later both babies were asleep, Ben started cleaning the mess in the kitchen, Emmett was taking care of the nursery, and he told me to go back to work because Brian wanted to talk to me.


“Why didn’t he call me?” I ask.


“He said he was dealing with lesbian drama.” Emmett tells me.


Brian was standing in the lobby with Rachel and tilted his head toward his and Justin’s office and said for me to wait for him. I passed by Lindsay in the break room in tears and didn’t stop to find out anything. Justin told me to always hear Brian first when there was a problem, it saves time.


“So what has Lindsay in tears?” I ask Brian.


“Justin wanted to talk to you about this first but with the babies and life in general he’s been busy. Before I get into anything, is everything okay at the house?” He asks me.


“It’s fine, Ben and Emmett got Brent and Jamie back to sleep. I put Justin in bed with the story of the comic caper. Ben and Emmett are going to stay until Jen and Deb get there. Hopefully Justin will sleep a few hours, get fed and be ready to greet you when you come in the door. So what do I need to do to calm Lindsay down before she runs and wakes Justin up?” I ask him.


“She’s upset because Justin decided not to promote her to the management position that was opening up because Rachel needs help. I wasn’t as nice as Justin can be about why she wasn’t getting promoted.” He tells me.


“She should be happy that Ethan stuck up for her and asked Justin not to fire her.” I tell him.


“Why shouldn’t we fire Lindsay?” Brian asks, and damn it, maybe Justin didn’t mention this to Brian. “I know about it, I’m asking you to tell me, if you were in Justin’s position would Lindsay still have a job and the reason you would let her keep it. Ethan could have lost a booking because Lindsay didn’t make sure the call went through to Rachel. What was your real opinion on what Justin should have done?” He asks me.


“With the exception of Ethan, Lindsay has been doing her job.” I tell him.


“I didn’t ask for a recommendation, but if you as the owner of a business could have lost revenue from what Lindsay did, what would be your recommendation for her future in your company?” He asks me.


“She’d be on probation, understanding that having the client saving your ass when you tried to screw up a booking for the client, if it happens again, would be met with separation from the company. We want to uphold the image that we are here to help our clients succeed.” I tell him.


“Would you feel that she was qualified to be in charge of the office in Rachel and Justin’s absence?” He asks me.


“Right now, no, but only because she let her personal feeling get in the way.” I tell him.


“Which is what I explained to her, as to why she wasn’t getting the position. Justin had already sat her down and told her he felt she wasn’t ready. She’s upset about the person they want to take the position and who will in essence be her boss.” He tells me.


“I’ll go talk to her, just because you want something, doesn’t always mean you get it.” I tell him.


“Make sure she understand the reason you're being offered the position is because you earned it by understanding what is expected as a representative of Taylor-Kinney Talent.” he says, like he just didn’t shock the shit out of me. “Justin said you’ve outgrown pampering his ass and he knows he can’t hold you back.” Brian tells me.


“Who’s going to take care of Justin?” I ask.


“Well Rachel Jr, there is an artist who Justin wants to mentor, and thinks being his assistant will give them time to work together.” Brian tells me.


“I think I love Justin more than you.” I joke, because Shelby was going to be thrilled.


“You do realize that Lindsay reports to you?” He smirks.

 

“You do realize I’ve already handled her before?” I smirk.