- Text Size +

It started with Michael sitting in the diner trying to organize a petition to convince Brian it was time to marry Boy Wonder. Then Emmett commented that it was strange that he couldn’t get a hold of Baby lately. Which only had Ted and Deb looking anywhere but at them, then the bloodhound that is Emmett sniffed the stench of gossip he wasn’t in on. The only thing Michael and Emmett seemed to forget was there was a new place where Brian Kinney lived. Armed with the knowledge that Justin came home, but not that he got married, Mikey started a plan. He walked into Babylon and whispered in the ear of the first guy who walked by and it spread like wildfire. Zephyr was planning to find a way to save Rage.


Meanwhile, Emmett kept his mouth shut, because he wanted the details and knew there was only one person who knew what he wanted to know. He showed up at Daphne’s with his Spa kit and massaged her feet while offering her all her favorite goodies. Daphne sang like a canary, so Emmett dragged Drew with him in case he needed muscle to keep from getting his ass kicked for yelling at the man who married Baby. If there was a wedding, why was he not the planner, he’d waited and waited for years to marry the Kings. Brian answered, explaining that HIS BABY was busy and would likely kill anyone who entered the studio. Emmett pouted, but was thrilled he could announce the marriage to Babylon.


Ted, liking his job and the balls that Blake seemed to want, called to let the boss know the Queen was sniffing around and most likely figured it out that Baby was home. He hung up, praying that he really didn’t hear the growl for being too late with that news.


Deb was proud that she never said ‘marriage’ until Michael turned up, Ben and Hunter reluctantly in tow, to get help in saving his beloved Rage. He let Ma know how disappointed he was that Ken, he meant Ben, but Ben stopped correcting it when he realized that to Michael, Ken and Ben were just as much the same to Michael, as Zephyr and Michael were to Michael. It helped that Zephyr was madly in love with Ken and saw Rage as the man who would forever be out of reach to anyone but JT. So when Michael got ideas about Rage/Brian, Ben just followed along, no longer feeling any sting from Michael’s friendship with Brian. Deb told Michael to let Brian and Justin enjoy their honeymoon, then yelled ‘Fuck’, which meant her moment of pride was over.


Lindsay was the one who answered the phone, dreading another round of Rage, but instead was told of a wedding she knew nothing about and hung up in the middle of Michael telling her that Rage must live. Going to find Mel, because her wife had been the one who told her not to try to butt into Gus’s time with his father, Lindsay proved that being a lawyer was a career she should have gone for when our tough as nails lawyer caved, not wanting to sleep on the couch later when the truth was known. Lindsay was excited and upset at the same time. She had waited for them to get married and couldn’t understand why they didn’t want everyone there to witness the wedding, six years in the making. Mel smartly called Brain to make sure he knew the privacy they had was no longer an option, but together with Ted were keeping the house’s location a secret.


Which really just meant a couple days before everyone descended on Britin.


Rachel came in the house, took one look at Brian’s hand pinching the bridge of his nose and told him that she would hold back the visitors by lighting up the loft and keeping Michael busy with the real panels for Rage. Then handed Brian the information for the surrogate agency that he was about to ask her for, telling him that she set up an appointment for Brian and Justin to interview the candidates in New York the following week. She let him know before going back out the door that she had Justin’s studio ready for him to work in so there wouldn’t be any interruption of his work. Then informed Brian that Justin was leaving Stephen up to Brian to handle, because he was busy and really didn’t see the point in telling him off again.


I sat in my usual seat a Woody’s, laughing that I knew even before Brian; his true love had finally figured out that time was a joke on the idiots who tried to fight their fates. But then I snooped for years, because the couple delighted me. What the use in being a psychic if you could see the love story first. I could have saved them the trouble, but then Brian tends to mock the unknown. I turned to see the next person who wanted to know his future, praying for the love that a skeptic managed to win.


BRIAN


Rachel handed me a phone and told me the calls I could answer were only ones with this number. Justin was grabbing his bag so we could go, he’d finished one painting and said he could do the rest while he in New York. Justin had bought a penthouse for us to use when either of us needed it. He hated hotels after constantly living out of them, so when he started making money, he bought us our second home. It made my trips for meetings less of a hassle, since I had just as much there as in Pittsburgh. Justin still carried a bag everywhere, because he needed his pads to draw on in transit. I loved that bag, because if I was busy Justin could entertain himself, and was not interrupting me out of boredom during meetings.


I still remember him sitting in the lobby of Eyeconics, drawing away, not realizing that in New York he was becoming someone people recognized. Kelly and I were walking out and saw Justin looking confused when a woman asked for a picture with him. Kelly got excited because she remembered Justin, and realized that an artist was responsible for our first campaign’s success by a simple color change. I still smart over that one.


When we got off the plane, I led a sleepy Justin to the car and then to the bedroom where he fell into bed and slept. I had a plan to see Stephen, since Justin left it to me. Justin doesn’t see the point in repeating himself. He doesn’t get that Stephen is worried about his next paycheck now that Justin walked away. Justin never really saw what he did as a business, the way the rest of the world does. To him it was about finding a way to let people see something the way he saw it.


Stephen was relieved to see me, but I doubt he understands that what Justin wants is what I plan to see happening, which means there's not going to be a rehiring in Stephen’s future.


“Brian, you have to help me explain to Justin that as an artist, he has to stay in the scene if he’s going to stay on top. He can’t understand that I was only telling him that he needed to keep the momentum going. He’s not going to be able keep his career if he doesn’t makes sure his name is on people’s lips.” He tells me.


“Justin wants to have the life we left on hold so he could pursue his career. He no longer wants a life where he can’t have the things he wants, not what you want. I came to make sure you understand that any phone calls to Justin are not welcome. You should have listened to your client, not try to run roughshod over him. Justin might seem like he let you run his life, but he was allowing you to do your job, which you lost the minute you tried to talk to him as if you own him.” I tell him.


“I made him the success he is, and now because he thinks he wants you and a kid, I’m wrong?” He tells me.


“Justin never just thinks he wants something, he’s always known what he wanted, and didn’t let anything get in his way. If you bothered to know him, past the dollar signs you see over his head, than you’d still be working for him. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll find another artist to keep you in the lifestyle Justin did.” I tell him.


“People are going to hear about this, I’m respected for the names I brought to the table.” He tells me.


“Justin’s respected and practically worshiped for the talent he brought to the table. He’ll live on in the paintings that people run to buy, you’ll be a footnote in the bio section of the artist you represent. No one cares that you arranged shows, they care that the star showed up.” I tell him.


I got back in time to meet with the first candidate, and had to get Justin to come out of his studio to meet with her. It took less than ten minutes for me to veto her. Justin didn’t seem to like her either, because he grabbed his phone and started playing a game when she started gushing over meeting him. The second woman came in and I wasn’t happy with the smoke smell surrounding her. She told me she’d been at her father’s house and he smoked in the house so she usually left with the scent on her. The third was less annoying, but Justin asked her if she was willing to use a separate donor. Her answer was that she liked knowing it was her who helped, not just being a carrier. I was starting to think that we needed to look at other agencies, when a woman came in with questions of her own about why we wanted a child and how we wanted to do it. She agreed with Justin that a separate donor would be best, since it’s harder when a surrogate bonds with the child she carries, that adding to the bond wasn’t in new parents best interest. Sarah agreed to meet with us at the agency with our lawyer and begin the process, when we were ready. The only thing we needed to talk about was who would be the father.


“I wanted us to both do it, and the result will be what it will be.” Justin tells me.


“You and your belief in fate. I doubt it will be that big of a guess if it comes out a blond pain in the ass.” I tell him.


“Or it comes out a sarcastic pain in MY ass.” Justin tells me, kissing me before going back in his studio.