- Text Size +

LINDSAY


I didn’t bring up what Brian said for a few days, I was almost afraid Mel would tell me she didn't want to move home. Our life here wasn’t bad, but I missed our friends and family. The people we’ve met here weren’t like the people we knew, they were friendly, but to them we were foreigners and they didn’t really see us as real Canadians. The only time we really enjoyed was when Justin and Brian visited. It was really bad when I couldn’t wait to see Michael, just to hear something about Pittsburgh. It wasn't what we thought it would be. Canada had employment problems and made it hard for us to find a way to support ourselves, because most jobs went to citizens first. I managed to find a job working on commission at a gallery, but my boss told me if he had an opening it would go to the people who had been here the longest. He didn’t say it, but I knew he meant the people who were citizens. Mel got a job because she came with a specialized skill, but she had to start at the bottom and take the cases no one else thought were worth their time. I could tell she wasn't happy, but she kept telling me our safety was more important than liking her job. After talking to Brian and hearing that Justin would walk away from the career of a lifetime to be happy, it made me wonder why Mel and I stayed at jobs that weren't anything special, out of fear.


“Why are we still here?” I finally got up the nerve to ask Mel.


“Because we wanted a life without bombs exploding in our face.” She tells me.


“Nothing has happened in Pittsburgh since we left. It's not like someone was out to get us personally. You can’t say that this is what we thought it would be like. I miss home.” I tell her.


“Why didn’t you say anything?” She asks.


“I wanted to give it a chance, but it's like Canada doesn’t want to give us a chance.” I tell her.


“I been thinking about it, but you seemed okay with staying here. Why didn’t you tell me you wanted to move back?” She asks me.


“I didn’t want you to think we’d made a mistake. We took off when we should have stayed.” I tell her.


“Why do we always seem to talk around each other?” She asked me.


“Fear of what we would say, neither of us were ever good at listening to the other. The times we did talk it seemed to only be to tell each other things we didn’t want to hear.” I tell her, letting her hold me.


“I like hearing you still love me. I love hearing about the things that happen to make you happy. I want to know what you want so I can make it possible.” She tells me, kissing me.


“I like that you still love me after so many years. I love when your eyes light up when you win a case that no one else was willing to win. I want you to have that again, but it’s not here, where they won’t even give you a client that is more than paperwork to file.” I tell her.


“It’s time to go home.” She whispers, before running her hands down my stomach.


JUSTIN


Michael and I were discussing how to get Rage and Zephyr’s lives to cross again while Brian and Ted were talking business. Emmett dragged Drew out to dance around all the men who could only wish Drew was theirs, (Emmett’s words). I felt someone tap my shoulder and turned to see a kid who couldn’t be older than I was when I first came here. Brian shook his head at the kid but he really couldn’t say much, when he used to bring me here all the time.


“Can I help you?” I ask.


“I was wondering if you could autograph this?” He asks me, handing me Rage’s first issue. “You too, if you would.” He asks Michael.


Michael looked gobsmacked that someone remembered he was once the writer for Rage. I signed it and handed it to Michael, who couldn’t stop smiling that someone wanted his autograph. We watched as he ran back to the group he was with. It was strange, because it was like seeing the past. Six guys standing around but the younger one was more like Michael, and there were Brian and I looking out into the crowd. I could see two guys standing around that sort of reminded me of Emmett and Ted, but there was another guy standing there with them, so it wasn’t exactly the same. Emmett turned to see what I was looking at and laughed.


“Past meets future, only there will never be another Brian and Justin. No one has the chemistry you two do.” He tells me.


“There will always be a new group.” Ted tells him.


“They just don’t have what it takes.” Michael tells us.


“What do you mean?” I ask, as Brian pulls me back to him.


“They are still trying to find what all of us did. They’re making different mistakes. The guy in the middle is in love with the one on the left, only he seems to be playing it safe with the guy on the far right. Lefty seems to think there’s no hope with center guy. The young one is the Lefty’s brother and in love with the same guy.” Emmett tells us.


“Okay. Well, it’s time for the past to let the future play out on their own. I have a headache just trying to listen to all that.” Ted tells Emmett.


“I’m going to miss not having lunch with you guys. It’s like Justin barely came home and you're leaving again.” Emmett pouts.


“Where are you going?” Ben asks us.


“I need to go to London and Justin decided to go ahead with a show in Paris.” Brian tells them.


“I was going to pass it up, but since Brian and I will be in Europe I figured I’d go. Rachel can arrange the whole thing anyway.” I tell them.


“One day I’m going to convince her to work for me and not a spoiled artist.” Brian teases, kissing me on the neck.


“She likes to spoil me, so hands off my Cynthia. You have the original, but you know, I’m sure we could trade, and Cynthia wouldn’t mind traveling the world with me.” I tease him back.


“Never fight against him, he’s always known how to win.” Ted warns Brian.


We were all ready to leave the future to Babylon. It wasn’t the same anymore, for any of us. I turned to see the two who couldn’t get it right yet and hoped they found what I did. I found everything here and only wanted the best for the future.


“They have years before they figure out what you knew the first night.” Mysterious Marilyn whispers, passing by me.


“Let’s go before she tries to tell us her version of the future.” Emmett tells me, shivering.


“It’s all guessing anyway.” Ted tells us.


She pulls Brian to her and whispers something to him while he scowls at her. He turned pale, grabbed me and wanted to leave fast. The guys were all following as we made our way to the diner, wondering why Brian seemed to be freaking out. When we sat down Brian looked as if the coffee needed to be stronger. I got up and got Kiki’s flask and poured it in his cup. Kiki kissed my head and took her flask back. He gulped and sputtered, Kiki liked rum, not beam.


“What caused you to freak out?” I asked, as he handed his coffee to Deb to get normal coffee.


“We are not having twin boys.” He tells me.


“You never believed anything that came from Marilyn before, why believe it now?” I ask.


“She told me that fate wanted you to be a father.” He tells me.


“And?” I ask.


“That lady fate was going to pay my ass back for not following the script when we were supposed to get married the first time. So, freaking twin Justin’s.” He tells me.


“Wait a minute, why are you talking about kids?” Emmett asks me.


“Oh, did we forget to mention that we were planning that.” I tell him, hoping my innocence will still keep my ass out of trouble.


“I’m going to be an Uncle, kick ass.” Hunter tells us, sitting down.


“Hunter, when did you come home?” Michael screeches and hugs his son.


“I heard the twink finally came home, figured I’d be here to see if I could convince Brian there were better options.” He smirks at me.


“Or you finally remembered you had family while living it up. I swear you are as bad as Justin about calling. These fly in visits you do for gossip aren’t enough.” Deb tells him hugging him.


“I wanted to bring my fiance to meet you.” He tells us, barely, before the squealing started again.


Deb looked around for the girl who stole Hunter from us, and we didn’t see anyone. Brian shook his head. “So you finally decided our team was better?” Brian asks.


“What?” We all turn to look at Hunter.


“It turns out that love just didn’t care what gender I was dating.” He tells us, going out and dragging a guy in.


“What happen to Sabrina or Sally or whoever she was?” Michael asks.


“That was the problem, they all became like the last. I couldn’t stop thinking of Shelby.” He tells us, pulling the tiny blond into his arms.


“Hi. I've heard about all of you.” He tells us, blushing.


“He’s an artist, we met when I went to check out an exhibit that had one of Justin’s paintings. Instead, I found Shelby in front of it.” He tells us.


“He tried to impress me saying he knew Justin Taylor. Which I didn’t believe. Sorry?” He tells Hunter.


“Lovely, you found Justin light.” Brian snarks, smiling.


“It worked for you, since you never looked at anyone the way you did Justin.” Ted tells him.


“How do you not look at that ass? That was not an okay for any of you to look.” Brian growled at everyone.


“That settles it, we are all having dinner Sunday, everyone needs to catch up before you two take off again.” Deb tells us.


“Where are you going now? Last time I was here Dad was planning a way to get you married. You got married and then before any of us knew you were here, you took off to New York. It’s like neither of you know how to visit me.” Hunter complains.


“You taught him well Mikey.” Brian tells Michael.


“It’s business for both of us. He’s in London and I need to go to Paris.” I tell Hunter.


“You're going to show up, I heard you weren’t planning to be there. My parents offered to fly Hunter and I there to see it.” Shelby tells us.


“Then hopefully you come, it would be nice to see people I want to see there. Even if it’s only this brat.” I tell them, ducking when Hunter swiped at me.


Brian and I left Shelby to get to know Hunter’s family, and Brian seemed to stop worrying about Marilyn’s predictions, at least I thought so.


“Twin you’s, we are going to be pulling our hair out.” He tells me, shaking his head.