- Text Size +

MICHAEL


I sort of panicked, okay I panicked. Shelby comes from the same background as Justin, and so I called his mother and him to beg they come with Ma, Ben, and me. I wanted them to like my family and I knew Justin and Jennifer might be able to keep me from saying anything his parents might not like. Ben kept telling me that it was only important that the boys loved each other, and that we all show support for them. He really has too much faith in me not to believe I'll manage to say something wrong. Hello, Michael Novotny; lover of comics, Ben Bruckner, and saying the wrong thing at the absolute worst time here. Let's not even mention where I learned it, and the many colorful words that she taught me. Jen agreed to come, but told me I was overreacting to a simple dinner. How are they not getting that everything needs to be perfect for Hunter?


Justin showed up, looking at me like I was dressed wrong and went to my closet and pulled out a sweater.


“Michael they aren’t getting married tonight, and the restaurant is dressy casual, no need to pull out a suit and tie.” He tells me, taking off my tie.


“I just thought it would look nice.” I tell him.


“If we were going to the Big Q, you'd look ready to work.” He teases.


Ben came out in a towel, and Justin and I sighed together. I didn’t mind, since we still do it to Brian too. It also helps that Justin doesn’t see Ben the way I do. For Justin, it's like he sees a masterpiece he wants to paint. Me, I see the guy who rocks my world. Ben just rolls his eyes and gets dressed, not paying any attention to us.


“If you'd get your illustrator to draw that view, your fan base would be buying more.” Justin tells me.


“You draw Brian in a way that shows the love the characters have for each other, because it's your real feelings you draw. Greg couldn’t do that with Ben and I.” I tell him.


“Michael, it’s there for anyone to see. I'm not saying let him see Ben naked, but if Ben could pose for him would give him an idea of what to draw. You know fans would like seeing Zephyr have sex with a god.” He tells me.


“I'm just not comfortable with my life spread out in a comic that way.” I tell him.


“I'm not JT and Brian isn’t Rage. It might have started out that way, but my stories no longer represent Brian or me. Zephyr and Ken aren’t you and Ben. You've never been that exciting.” He jokes, running from the room.


“He's right, we aren't anything like the characters.” Ben tells me.


“You'd be okay with Ken and Zephyr having sex?” I ask.


“As long as it's Ken and Zephyr, not us.” He tells me.


“I'll think about it, but it's hard for me to have people ogling you.” I tell him.


“You don’t have a problem with Justin when he and you do.” He tells me.


“Justin doesn’t want you in a way that I could get jealous over. He sees you the way he see subjects he paints. He admires the beautiful way you're made, but Brian is who he loves. We both just know we got the goods when we see you guys.” I tell him, smiling.


Justin rode with us, while Hunter picked up Ma and Jennifer. He kept telling me Shelby’s parents were really down to earth and wouldn’t care. We got to the restaurant and I almost wanted to smack Justin when they came dressed up. Shelby’s father Dean took off the tie, looking relieved that we weren’t wearing them. His wife Mary laughed at him, and I felt better.


We were seated and ordering after just a brief introduction, and Mary broke the tension by asking about everyone.


“Shelby tells me that you're a teacher at Carnegie.” She tells Ben.


“I teach Gay studies, but for the summer will be traveling with Michael.” He tells her.


“You own a store?” She asks me.


“I own a comic shop and write one.” I tell her, not sure I should talk about it.


“Michael and I wrote a comic together at one time, but we still bring it together twice a year for a joint issue.” Justin tells her.


“I don’t really know much about comics.” She tells us.


“She’s also not into football, or really, anything we men like.” Dean kids.


“What do you do?” Jennifer asks her.


“I own an insurance company, and Dean works for a marketing firm.” She tells us.


“I’m a waitress at Liberty Diner.” Ma adds.


“I was one when I was going to college, it was a fun job. There are always so many crazy things that happen.” Mary tells Ma.


“I enjoy it, otherwise I might have killed a few Queens that come thinking they’re royalty.” Ma tells her.


“Deb, they only come to see what you’ll throw at them.” Jen laughs.


“She’s really the only reason I still work there sometimes.” Hunter tells them.


“Shelby told us you got a job right out of college, congratulations Hunter.” Dean tells him.


“Justin just can’t live without my smiling face. I was too busy staring at the amount he has to pay people to put up with him.” Hunter tells them, moving when Ma swipes at him.


“He’ll eventually ask for a raise when he never has any free time.” Justin tells them.


“You will, Justin’s impossible when he works.” I tell him.


“How do you all know each other?” Mary asks.


“Justin showed up one day, stealing the heart of my best friend. I felt sorry for him and let him stick around.” I say, wondering if it sounded bad.


“Michael and I were both in love with my husband at one time. Then he found Ben and we realized we liked each other, after torturing each other.” Justin tells them.


“Justin is letting me go with Hunter to events, when Hunter has to attend.” Shelby tells them.


“He’s always wanted to paint like you do.” Mary tells Justin.


“He never will, but I have a feeling we’ll see Shelby paint the way Shelby does.” Ben tells her.


“Justin is going to let me work on Rage to help me branch out. I was going to see if Michael would look at it first since he knows what Rage is supposed to look like.” Shelby tells us.


“Shelby have I told you, you're my favorite yet.” I tell him, smiling.


JUSTIN


Michael seemed to get that Mary and Dean were normal people, and he and Ben managed to get to know them without our help. I was talking to my mom and Deb about Gus and what happened when I saw my father at a table a few over from ours. He saw me and got up to come over. Mary and Dean smiled when they saw him.


“Craig, I haven’t seen you since the last business association dinner.” Dean said shaking his hand.


“I actually noticed you were having dinner with my son, Justin.” He tells him.


“We wanted to meet our son’s fiance’s family. Which included Justin, who hired Hunter.” Dean tells him.


I really prayed for once he wouldn’t say anything to embarrass himself. I could see when he realized Hunter wasn’t a girl, but he managed to keep the disapproval to himself.


“I wanted to see Justin, I didn’t know he was in town.” He tells Dean.


“I’m only here to get my son and go back to London. I wasn’t planning on being here for a long visit.” I tell him.


“You're talking about Brian’s son, aren’t you?” He asks.


“Brian and Justin don’t see Gus that way. He’s a wonderful grandson to me and Deb.” My mom tells him.


“Your sister told me you got married.” He tells me, ignoring my mom.


“Brian and I decided it was time, I mean, it’s been eleven years.” I tell him.


“I need to get back to my table.” He tells me, shaking Dean’s hand before leaving.


“I’m going to assume Craig isn’t going on the list of people we invite.” Dean tells us.


“He’s never approved of that part of my life. He’s less vocal about it now, but he never really wants to talk about Brian. It’s funny, because he always wanted me to go into business, but never sees Brian as anything but the man who made me gay.” I tell them.


“He’s an idiot. He’s missing any chance to be in Justin’s life. Brian never told Justin he can’t see Craig, but Craig tried that on Justin over the years.” Ma tells them.


“What does Brian do?” Dean asks me.


“He owns Kinnetik.” Michael tells him.


“Brian Kinney?” Dean asks.


“That’s my son-in-law.” Mom says proudly.


“I’ve followed his career, he left Vanguard and we all thought he was done. Kinnetik has risen steadily, there was a time I considered putting in an application.” Dean tells us.


“Kinnetik is spreading out, Brian and I talked about a business proposition I want to try. If it works we’ll be opening jobs in Pittsburgh.” I tell him.


“What about your painting?” Mary asks.


“I’ll still do that, but I wanted a family life too. I miss everyone here and want my kids to know the family that supported me when I came out. Michael and Deb opened their home to me and I couldn’t think of better people for my kids to know.” I tell them.


“I’m hoping that I can convince one of the Dads here to help me plan the wedding.” Mary tells us.


“I’m available for anything you need.” Michael tells her.


“Emmett told me to tell both of you he will do it free of charge.” Hunter tells them quickly.


Michael and Mary made plans to get together, ignoring Hunter’s offer to get Emmett to meet them. I walked out with my mom and Deb, seeing my Dad going to his car. I walked over to him, just wanting him to know what he’ll eventually find out anyway.


“Brian and I are planning to have another child. I just wanted you to know.” I tell him.


“I wish I could accept the way you live your life, it’s just not in me.” He tell me.


“My children will just live without knowing you, the way you’re living without actually knowing me. You know, I used to think you were the greatest Dad in the world.” I tell him.


“I never wanted to feel this way about you.” He tells me.


“What, hate me?” I asks.


“I love you, I just don’t like the way you live.” He tells me.


“I live a happy life, with the person I love. I don’t see what’s not to like.” I tell him.


“Then be happy.” He tells me, getting into his car.