- Text Size +

 

 

Reality Check

In the plane, Evan sat next to Brian, getting an exasperated look from his old friend.

"I got you something. As a thank you...and forgive me, as well."

Brian stared at the box on his lap for a long time, before picking it up with shaky hands. "Evan. You shouldn't have."

"I suggest you don't use it now, but when we land...call your hellcat."

"Thank you." Brian looked in awe at the box containing the newest Apple mobile phone.

The plane ride was short and silent. The second they touched down, Brian turned the phone on and dialed Justin's number.

Like earlier, it went straight to voice-mail. Fuck. "Justin, I know you're upset. Please, pick up. I'm here."

"Look on the bright side," Evan said amused, walking alongside Brian toward the airport. "There's hot make-up sex to look forward to."

"If Justin sent me to the doghouse, I wouldn't be on his good side for weeks. I've been such an ass."

"You didn't have reception."

"We fucked! I broke my promise!" Brian yelled, glaring at an old lady who eyed him disgusted. "What's your problem?"

Wisely, she didn't comment, only allowed Brian and Evan to walk past her.

"At this hour, he's probably at the bar," Evan said, trying to relax Brian.

"That's a good idea. I'll head there." When Evan followed him in the cab he'd hailed, Brian groaned. "Alone."

"I need a drink. And I'm a sucker for romance."

"You hate romance. And what you're going to see is going to put to shame all horror movies you've ever seen."

"A hellcat." Evan chuckled.

"You don't know half of it," Brian mumbled, looking out the window as they crawled toward Raging Bull. Justin was a handful, but Brian loved how passionate and driven his partner was.

It was nearing eight in the evening when they pulled up in front of the bar. A short quarrel over who'd pay, which Brian won because Evan had bought him that ridiculously expensive phone, they stepped into the crowded establishment.

Brian immediately noticed Justin wasn't behind the bar. Then he was assaulted by Izzy, his roommate.

"You fucking asshole!" She made to swing at his face, but he caught her wrists.

Dread filled Brian to the very core. Justin had somehow found out.

"You absolute scum! Stay the fuck away from Justin."

"How?" He asked quietly, feeling bile rising in his throat.

"When you answered on his last attempt to call you. He heard you and...him!" She pointed to Evan. "How adorable, bringing him here. What are you playing at? You want to rub it in his face?"

"I..."

"Get out of here before I call security."

"Is Justin home? We need to talk."

"To fill his head with lies? I don't think so! He's... you broke him."

Brian stormed out, retching against the wall.

His head spun.

Justin knew.

Justin hated him.

Justin...his Sunshine was gone.

"Come. Let's take you—"

Brian pushed Evan's hands off him. "It's all your fault! Fuck. What have I done?" He crumbled on the cold pavement. "Shit."

"Brian, come with me." Evan pulled him up. "You're making a scene."

"Fuck everyone! Fuck you!"

"Brian, calm down. I'll take you to him. You'll talk this out."

"He hates me! He trusted me, Evan. I broke his heart. I broke his trust in me. You heard that girl. I broke him." Brian's voice cracked.

"I'll talk to him. We'll stick to our plan. He doesn't have to know."

"Evan, it's over."

"No, it's not. Where does he live? I'll take you there."

"Give it a rest." He sat up, wiping his eyes. He started walking aimlessly down the street.

"Where are you going?" Evan caught up with him.

"To throw myself under the first train."

"It's not funny."

"No one is being funny."

"Brian, people fight. Fuck. People break up. And people make up. Of what you told me, you had something solid with Justin."

"I love the way you use the past tense."

"You have two options: I take you to him now, or you come to my house and have a goodnight sleep, then I take you to him in the morning."

"You're a persistent fucker, I'll give you that," Brian muttered.

Evan stopped in front of him. "So which one is it?"

"Tomorrow. No. Now. No, wait. I don't know."

"Brian, make up your mind."

The decision was easier to make after Brian's phone rang. A lump formed in his throat when he saw who was calling.

"Get a cab, I'm going to Justin," he told Evan. "Miss Chanders," he answered quietly.

"Cut the bullshit. Justin is a mess. Get your ass here and solve this NOW!"

"I'm on my way." He opened the cab's door. "Thanks." He hoped Evan wouldn't follow him, but it seemed he couldn't get rid of him. After rattling off the address, Brian focused on the phone call. "Is he... How is he?"

"How do you think? I've never seen him like this, Brian. He won't move. He won't eat. He is locked in the bathroom, crying and barfing."

"Wait. You're with him? You're here?"

"Izzy called me when he freaked her out with his behavior."

"Shit. Look, I'm ten minutes away. Leave the door open."

Hanging up, Brian turned to Evan. "You're not coming with me. You've done enough. How much do you need to cover the ride to your place?" Brian pulled a few bills from his wallet.

"Keep your money."

"Evan, don't be difficult. I can't deal with you now."

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry it came to this," Evan said quietly, rubbing Brian's knee. "I truly hope you work it out. I swear, I never meant to break you up. I thought you had something where you were allowed to fuck around. It looked like that, anyway."

"Evan, I told you. Justin doesn't mind if I have the odd trick on the side. The problem here is you."

"Oh, so it's okay you fuck some nameless guy, but it's not okay to be with someone who you used to know?" He snorted. "Does he have jealousy issues?"

Brian glared out the window. "I told him about us. I told him that you were...that we..."

"That you thought we had a relationship and then I left and broke your heart?" Evan supplied.

"Not in so many words, but yes. Justin probably thinks I still love you or something."

"Did you? Back then?"

"We're here, sir," the cabbie announced.

Before Brian could get out of the car, Evan grabbed his elbow. "You did." He stared surprised at him. "You actually fell for me."

"Goodbye, Evan." Brian left his share on the spot he vacated, before rushing to the building residing his broken boy.

He had no idea where to start explaining what happened.

He knew Justin wasn't going to listen to him.

Halfway up the stairs, he even stopped and considered turning around and leaving. Justin wasn't likely to ever forgive him. But he deserved to hear the whole story from him.

Taking a deep breath, Brian let himself in Justin's apartment.

Not a second later, he was attacked by Daphne. Her small fists hitting him everywhere. He allowed her to hit him, until she slumped against his chest, crying.

Patting the top of her head, he pulled her at arm's length. "Where is he?"

Daphne pointed a lifeless hand to the bathroom door. "Take this to him. He needs to stay hydrated." She handed him a bottle of water.

Chapter End Notes:

Well, one thing is sure Justin won't forgive Brian easily.