- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

Justin trying to survive without Brian...but then again, Brian is not doing that well. I promise to explore Brian's depressed self in the companion story.

As for the friendship between Brian and Evan is only that...friendship.

Revelations

"Are you absolutely sure you don't mind working on New Year's night?" Oliver eyed Justin dubiously.

"Yup." Justin nodded emphatically.

"You're young. You're good looking. You should be out there, partying."

"Ollie, the only people who work tonight are the single people who don't have to be somewhere with their special someone. You have a special someone, so go to him. Have fun!" Justin pointed to the door.

"Jesus. I hired a bossy bartender."

"Just because I don't have someone to spend the night with, you shouldn't suffer too. Go. I mean it. I have Tommy here. We can handle the crowd."

Oliver patted Justin's shoulder. "Okay, kiddo. Remind me to give you a raise. You deserve it."

Justin beamed. "Thanks."

He watched as his boss left Raging Bull at eight in the evening. He was headed to a small party with his partner.

There were a few patrons, but Justin doubted anyone would linger when it neared midnight. Maybe, if he was lucky, he could sneak out to see the Ball drop. He wasn't into that concept, but everyone seemed fascinated by it.

The last hours of the year seemed to crawl by, and like Justin suspected, everyone left within fifteen minutes before midnight. Everyone, including Tommy.

"Fuck," Justin spat. As much as he liked him and how devoted to work he was, Tommy could be a fool sometimes. He should have at least asked permission, since Justin was his direct supervisor of sorts.

He opened a bottle of Champagne, keeping his eyes on the clock.

He tried not to think of what the past year had brought to him, from extreme joy, to fear, to excitement, to such sadness and heartbreak he couldn't even wrap his head around it.

For a brief moment, Justin wondered what Brian was doing at that very moment in time. Was he alone with his bottle of JB? Was he with that fucker? Maybe he was still in Toronto with his son.

Wherever he was, Justin hoped he was happy.

Five minutes to midnight, the door of the bar opened.

Justin, already slightly tipsy from having drunk half of the bottle by himself, turned around ready to scold Tommy.

"You?" He gasped in disbelief when he spotted Evan Steele. "You have the nerve to come here now?"

"This is my favorite bar. I could say I was here first. Anyway, I decided to celebrate by myself in a bar this year."

Justin gritted his teeth. He wasn't going to quit the bar just because Evan was a customer.

He thrust to him a glass where he poured Champagne. Then he touched the bottom of his bottle to Evan's glass.

"Happy New Year."

Justin sneered, hoping Evan would have a horrible year and he's suffer as much as he was. "You too."

The loud cheers from outside let them know they'd rung into the new year.

Justin couldn't believe the person he ended up being next to when they crossed into 2006. He'd expected to be with Brian, preferably in bed, naked.

Obviously that was impossible. It was all his companion's fault. He'd broken them up.

"I knew you'd be here," Evan said quietly.

"I work here," Justin said pointedly.

"I mean now. I called Oliver."

"Beautiful. So you came over to make sure my new year is going to be ruined. It already was, all thanks to you."

"Like I told Brian, I never meant for any of this to happen. I thought you were in an open relationship."

"That doesn't give you any right to coerce Brian into something he clearly didn't want. You knew his weak spots and used it to your advantage. It's true, he could have told you no, but I guess he wanted to see if he still had feelings for you."

"He told you that?" Evan gasped.

"No. He didn't have to. I did a lot of thinking over the past few weeks."

Evan leaned over the counter. "I'm here to show you that I'm the good guy, despite whatever you think of me."

Justin snorted. "You're the Devil."

Evan smiled indulgently. "Then you wouldn't care if I told you that Brian is passed out in my guest bedroom. He called me around seven in the morning to pick him up from some tacky place where he got ass drunk. It took a while to get him to sleep, and he woke several times to vomit. In between, and I think he was still hangover, he whined about love and relationships and you."

Justin stared at him with wide eyes. His hands started shaking and his stomach squirmed uncomfortably.

"How could you leave him alone in that state?"

"I came to bring you over. He'd want to see you."

"I… Really?"

Evan pushed his keys over the counter. "15 Central Park West. Apartment 115 C. Tell the doorman I invited you. I will wait for Tommy here."

Justin eyed the keys fearfully, before he snatched them, rushing out the door. "Uh, Evan? Thank you," he said when he was at the door, then went in search of the first available cab.

It would be torture to get to Central Park West area.

oOo

The building was impressive, but Justin didn't have time to admire it. He went straight to the doorman.

The man watched him curiously, as Justin tried to catch his breath. He'd run down the street when the cab couldn't advance two blocks away.

"Hi," he wheezed out. "I'm...I know Evan. He told me you'd let me in."

The doorman nodded, as if expecting him. "Top floor."

Justin nodded, rushing to the elevator.

His head spun as he stood in the elevator while it ascended. Brian had gotten drunk and called Evan to lament about his love life. Evan could have taken advantage of Brian's inebriated state, but he decided to take care of him then bring Justin. For a brief second, Justin thought he might like Evan, but then he remembered his cunning nature.

Having arrived at his condo, Justin stopped at the door, keys in hand.

He had no idea what he'd do, but he had to make sure Brian was okay.

Unlocking the door, he stepped inside. The grandeur of the place didn't escape Justin's trained artist eye.

Walking around the vast condo, he came upon a shut door. Taking a huge breath, he turned the knob.

There he was, sprawled on the bed, sleeping deeply.

Justin sat on the edge of the bed, touching Brian's hand. Tears sprung into his eyes when Brian squeezed his hand, mumbling his name in his sleep. Then he shifted closer to Justin by instinct.

"Why must you be so adorable, you idiot?" Justin stroked Brian's hair.

He sat there for what felt like hours.

When Brian finally stirred, Justin's eyes were dropping, but he didn't let go of his hand.

Brian sat up, eyeing him surprised. "Justin? Uh, what are you doing here?" He grabbed his head, wincing. "Where's Evan? What happened?"

Justin was ready to have the much awaited discussion with him, but then Brian went and ruined it by asking about Evan. "Here's some Tylenol." He handed him the pills and bottle of water from the nightstand. "Evan told me to come here because...you weren't okay."

"I'm okay. I was drunk. So what?"

"I know you drunk, this is...more than that. You never became teary and whiny. You never slept it off. You never woke up with a hangover."

"That you know of," Brian muttered.

"Listen, you asshole. I came here to make sure you were okay, but it was a mistake. I have no idea what I expected to happen."

Brian reached for Justin's hand when he stood up, ready to leave. "I'm sorry. I'm a jerk."

"You've changed, Brian. I don't even know you anymore."

"Justin…"

"Save it. I was an idiot to even think we might have another chance. I'll send your housemate back."

"He's not."

Justin glared, making it abundantly clear he didn't want to discuss Brian's living arrangements.

He let himself out of the Evan's condo, telling himself it was the last time he saw Brian. At the same time, he knew it was a lie. He'd see Brian again, he knew that. He'd rush to his side again, because he was a fool. He still loved him.

Brian kicked over a chair in anger. Then he smashed the bedside lamp, not even caring he'd have to answer to Evan's questions about devastating his guest bedroom.

He kept screwing all his chances to ever make up with Justin.

Brian continued his rampage to the kitchen where he took the glasses and cups, throwing them to the floor and walls.

That was how Evan found him, smashing one of his favorite coffee mugs to the tile floor.

"What has my favorite cup ever done to you?" Then he noticed the disaster. "What has my house done to you?"

Brian charged at him, pushing him against the wall, his elbow at Evan's throat. "Stay away from me!"

"You're all over me, Kinney."

"You sent Justin here."

"I see it didn't go well. I truly hoped you'd make up."

"It's over. He told me that on Christmas. Thanks for making me feel like the shit that I am once again. Stay the fuck away from our life. Justin will never forgive me."

Evan escaped Brian's grip, then hugged him tightly. "Getting you back together will make me feel better for what I've done. I can see now how much you love each other. I regret what happened in Miami, Brian."

"Tough luck. You already broke us." He squirmed, trying to free himself.

"I'm not letting you go until you have calmed down."

"It might be a while," Brian mumbled, still tense.

"I don't mind holding you. Let's sit down. Careful not to step on the broken glass."

"I'm sorry."

"That's replaceable."

Brian sniffed into Evan's shoulder. His words hit him hard.

He couldn't replace Justin, and he didn't even want to think about it. Justin was his soul-mate, as much as he hated that expression.

Chapter End Notes:

Before I explore this more in the other story, let me make it clear so you won't jump to conclusions. Brian has his own home by now, but being in the deplorable state he was after drinking, he needed a friend.