- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

I couldn't include the big talk in this chapter or the following. It never seemed like a good time, but...but...but (insert Emmett's voice) I'm going to add it a chapter in The Devil's Snare. That story is not solely about Evan, though it revolves around him and his persona. It also has quite a lot of Brian too, so I will write the talk and add it there. I have no idea where to start writing that emotional conversation, but I promise to figure it out and share the big talk with you guys.

The Morning After

It took Justin a full minute to remember the previous night's events when he woke up the next morning.

The sun was glaring through a crack in the curtain.

Deciding he wasn't likely to go back to sleep, he rolled on his side to stare at the man wheezing next to him. Justin couldn't help but smile at how adorable Brian could be in the morning. Somehow, he'd managed to forget about it.

Tentatively, afraid to wake him, Justin brushed his fingers through Brian's hair, kissing him softly. When he didn't stir, Justin decided to get the coffee ready and wake his boyfriend with a steaming cup of freshly brewed coffee.

Justin found the kitten on the counter, cleaning his intimate parts. His blue eyes found Justin, studied him for a few moments, before he returned to licking his ass.

"We need rules. You can't wash on the counter. We eat here." Justin made to take the kitten, but earned a hiss from the small furball. He immediately stood on all fours, his back arched. "Jeez. Okay. If it counts, I'm sorry I stepped on you."

Justin made coffee after he figured out how the expensive machine worked. He pulled two mugs out of the cupboard, adding an unhealthy amount of sugar in Brian's mug.

When he returned to the bedroom, the cat jumped off the counter, following him.

Justin was tempted to shut the door in his face, but the feline might never forgive him.

Placing the mugs on the nightstand, Justin burrowed under the blanket, stroking Brian's hair. He smiled, watching his man slowly waking.

Brian blinked several times, focusing on Justin's smile. It hadn't been a dream. Justin was truly there.

"Hey," he whispered, bringing Justin's head closer to kiss him.

"Morning." Justin nipped at Brian's lower lip. "I made coffee."

They sat up, propped against the headboard, coffees in hands, and with the cat curled in Brian's lap, purring.

Justin leaned his head against Brian's shoulder, sighing contently. "Did you know he was cleaning his bits on the counter? That's not very hygienic."

"We fuck on the counter. That's not hygienic, either."

Justin flushed. "We haven't yet."

"We could."

"I still can't believe you haven't tried getting in my pants."

"I'm sure you're not ready. Even though you might want it, you aren't ready. I have to regain your trust," Brian said quietly.

"Well, yes. I mean, I trust you, though there's a part of me...still wary. I know you only love me, and I think you want only me now."

"It's true. Believe it or not, I haven't slept with anyone since that fateful trip."

"Now I feel like shit. I've gone to this club a couple of times and had my dick sucked in the back alley."

"It doesn't matter." Brian kissed his head. "What happens from now on is all that matters."

Justin's phone vibrated on the nightstand, reminding him of his promise to the family about meeting before they left. When he picked the phone, he saw his mother was calling.

"Hi, Mom," he answered, snuggling into Brian's side.

"It's ten, Justin. Our plane leaves at five. I want to see you."

"Urgh. Right. Where do you wanna meet?"

"Why don't you pick a place? I bet you know more about New York than any of us."

"Let me call you back in five," he said, not ready to leave Brian. Before she could protest, he hung up.

"Do you have plans?" Brian asked curiously.

"I promised everyone to meet before they left."

"Yeah, Mikey told me to meet too, but I didn't confirm anything."

Justin grinned. "Maybe we could go together. Tell them a restaurant and appear together. Imagine their unhinged jaws."

"It's Sunday. Let me check what places are open."

After a little research through Brian's list of restaurants, he came up with one he had tried and he considered the others would like it too.

"Rainbow Room. It's located on the 65th floor of 30 Rockefeller Plaza," he explained.

Smiling at each other, they called around to let everyone know where they'd meet for lunch.

oOo

After a detour to Justin's apartment, which was thankfully empty, where he changed his clothes, they headed to the restaurant.

"I don't know why I am surprised you flew your car from Pittsburgh."

"I missed the 'vette." Brian shrugged.

"Only a crazy man would drive his own car in New York, Brian. We're over half an hour late!"

"Ah, you can't accuse me of not being consistent. I'm always late."

They parked in a side alley, walking inside the building hand in hand. Justin felt like he was in high school, with his first crush. There were butterflies in his stomach.

Inside the restaurant, they were pointed to table seven.

Brian saw everyone at the table, looking around curiously. Some of them were anxious, probably thinking it was a mix-up.

"Ready?" He whispered to Justin.

"As ever."

They stopped next to their friends and family, still holding hands and smiling brightly.

The first to notice them was Debbie. Her eyes widened, before she stood abruptly and rounded the table to hug them tightly.

"Oh, you two idiots!"

"When did this happen?" Jennifer inquired, surprised. She had gone back to resent Brian for hurting her son, but it seemed they were back together and happier than ever.

"So this is the reason why you abandoned us last night," Daphne commented, smirking.

"What about your mystery man?" Emmett asked. "He'd probably be devastated."

Brian wrapped an arm around Justin's shoulders. "He's beyond happy, don't worry."

"You?" Several voices asked in unison.

"Yes, me."

"Yes, who knew? Brian can be such a romantic," Justin told them, smiling and never taking his eyes off Brian.

"Well, I can't say I didn't expect this to happen," Michael said, as everyone took their seats. "I had a bet with Ben on how long you two could stay apart."

After ordering, everyone got sucked in their own conversation. Except Jennifer, who kept her eyes narrowed on Brian.

"Mom?" Justin covered her hand on the table. "I'm happy."

"I can't stand around watching him hurt you at every corner."

"We talked about what happened. I trust him. We've both learned from this experience."

She sighed. "To think there was a time I even liked Brian."

"Mom, please. He's the same Brian you even liked as you put it. Remember how happy we were when he proposed? How I feel now it's about just as happy."

"You know better, but if he hurts you one more time, he'll answer to me," she said sternly.

Justin glanced at Brian, seeing him deep in talk with Michael, before returning his eyes on his mother. "There will be no need."

As the meal progressed, no one asked about how they got back together or why exactly they broke up to begin with, for which both Brian and Justin were grateful. They all caught up on their respective lives, especially cheering when Brian admitted to have sealed the deal with Apple.

Debbie shared her intention to retire, but she said first she had to find someone suitable to replace her, because Kiki could be an air-head.

Michael told them about how well the comic book store was doing, and how more and more people asked about Rage and JT.

"We kind of left it hanging, huh?" Justin joked.

"Yeah, but I understand if you don't have time for this anymore," Michael told him.

"Nonsense. Send me plot ideas and I'll try working on a few sketches."

"I hope you won't ruin their honeymoon with some villain interfering," Brian interjected. "Let them get home before anything else happens."

Justin's eyes lit up, and he shared a knowing smile with Michael. Without intending, Brian had given them a great idea for the next issue.

"What about you, Ben? Any new book in line?" Brian asked sincerely.

"Don't," Michael warned. "That's a touchy subject."

Ben scowled. "I barely have time for myself. Exams, tutoring, helping a few of them with their end of the year essay. And I have this amazing idea, but it's just that. I have a feeling, it will be a mere idea until summer."

"Can't you get a break and try tackling it?" Justin suggested.

"Professors rarely get free time," Tucker quipped up. "There's always something to do. I bet it's even more complicated since Ben is a college professor."

Ben nodded in agreement.

"I had no idea you were a writer too," Jennifer said. "Anything I might know?"

While Ben told her about his books, Justin shifted closer to Brian.

"Hi." He grinned up at Brian.

Brian returned the smile, resting his forehead on Justin's. "Hi."

"I think you're in Mom's bad books again."

"I bet I am."

"So maybe you should do or say something to win her over again. I liked it better when you two got along."

"I have just the subject to grab her attention." Brian winked. He waited until Jennifer finished talking with Ben to approach her. "We haven't talked in a while, Mrs. Taylor. Have you found a buyer for the loft?"

"You're selling the loft?" Justin cried out. "I thought we had that argument once."

"I've kept the house. No need to keep the loft as well," Brian said dismissively, keeping his eyes on Jennifer.

"As a matter of fact I have a long list of potential buyers, but I was too upset to call you."

"I understand, though now...would you let me know?" Brian asked.

"I will e-mail you the names and prices when I get home."

"You kept the house," Justin repeated, having finally processed the words. "Why would you do that?"

"I figured we wouldn't live here forever. Besides, we'd like to visit home and we'd need a place to stay," Brian answered simply, taking his hand under the table.

"I think you should keep the loft and sell the house. It's less expensive...the maintenance."

"I've wanted to sell the loft for months. I'm not changing my mind."

"But that manor…" Justin began protesting.

"It's for you. It's our home," Brian explained with a smile.

In that moment everyone understood how much Brian loved Justin, and that he'd do anything to make him happy.

Emmett teared up, going to Brian and hugging him tightly, saying he always knew he had a heart of gold.

Debbie smiled proudly at Brian, happy he'd come so far to admit his feelings for Justin, not only to himself or to Justin, but to do it in front of everyone.

If Jennifer had any doubt about Brian's love for her son, it was erased in that moment. She made a point to lightly threaten him with bodily harm if he hurt Justin again, though she knew Brian wouldn't make the same mistake twice. She could go home content that Justin was happy and more in love than she'd ever seen him.

Chapter End Notes:

Keep an eye on The Devil's Snare. I have a few chapter lined up, before the promised one in the note at the beginning of this chapter. :)