- Text Size +

 

 

Interruptions

"I like this," Justin said softly, burrowing closer into Brian's side as they walked through Central Park. "Why have we never done this in Pittsburgh?"

Brian shrugged, keeping his eyes ahead.

"Don't worry. This is nice, though…" Justin glanced up to find Brian's eyes on his, wide and fearful. "I hope you know this isn't exactly what I want."

"You don't like walking in the park?" Brian frowned. He thought it was one the things Justin found couple-y.

"Sure, it's nice, like I said. Once in a while, or if we have time, we could do it every weekend."

"But?"

"But this isn't us, Brian. I don't want you to change. Are we going to have this conversation again?"

"I thought you liked all those romantic gestures over the past few weeks."

"I did." Justin confirmed with a huge smile. "I don't want it to stop, though I want my Brian back. I still want these things, but I also want our fights, our fucking hot sex, our crazy, hectic lives."

"Don't worry. There'll be plenty hectic coming Monday. There'll be plenty fights about me spending too much time at work what with this new account, on top of my others. And yes, there will be fucking hot sex. That's a promise."

"Then, how about we go to your condo and you exemplify?" Justin nipped at Brian's jaw. "Shit," he groaned, feeling his phone buzzing.

"Already interrupted? It feels like before, huh?" Brian laughed.

Justin pulled his phone out, glowering when he saw Simon's name. "Hello, Simon," he answered in a sweet voice.

"I hope you're making another appearance today at the gallery. I have someone I want you to meet."

"Is it necessary? Beatrice told me…"

"Don't mind Beatrice. Be here at eight."

Justin stared at his phone when the beeping tone replaced Simon's gritty voice. "He hung up on me, after demanding me to be at the gallery at eight."

"You better hurry. It's six thirty now."

"I don't want to." Justin pouted. "I want to go home with you and fuck."

Brian laughed. "There's time for that. Tonight. I promise." He kissed Justin's brow. "Let me drive you home to get ready."

"Come with me. Maybe it will be more bearable to have you by my side," Justin pleaded.

oOo

Isabelle stared at them incredulously when they stepped into the apartment laughing and holding hands.

"Hello, Isabelle." Brian offered her a small smile.

"Hi, Izzy!" Justin grinned. "Try not to kill each other while I get ready."

"I'd tell you to pack for later, but clothes are optional." Brian winked.

"I'll bring my toothbrush," Justin said, disappearing down the hall.

"What did you do to make him forget the way you hurt him?" Izzy demanded.

"You've been witness to my subtle ways of showing him how much I care." When she eyed him curiously, Brian went on to explain. "The flowers, the chocolate, the exhibition...dinner last night."

"And Justin fell for it?"

"He realized what we have is stronger than my terrible lapse of judgement. Don't worry, I'm still not completely forgiven. I know he will always second guess me and be suspicious if I'm home late, but I will do my best to prove him he has no reason to worry."

"Beautiful speech. I don't believe you. Of what I hear, you work with Mr. Steele. He boasts about you two winning Apple over. He praises you all the time he's at Raging Bull. How do you think Justin felt when he heard the man you cheated on him with, saying such things about you? In his face." Izzy glared.

Brian had no idea of what Evan was doing, or that he had the nerve to still go to Raging Bull, taunting Justin that way.

"I had no idea," he admitted. "Look, you don't have to believe me. It's enough that Justin does, though I want you to know that I won't hurt him again. It was never my intention for any of this to happen to begin it, but I guess I've been too weak."

Izzy rolled her eyes. "Everyone makes mistakes, I know," she said sarcastically. "Save it," she muttered when Brian opened his mouth. "I won't stop you from being with Justin. It's his choice, but look at me, if you dare to hurt him again, you'll answer to me. I promised Daphne to take care of him, and I will."

Brian fought off a smile. "Of course you did. I'm sure Daphne told you to keep an eye on her friend."

"And she thinks very highly of you. I have no idea why. I had this misconceived image of you about being a tormented, wannabe bad boy from Justin's description. He talked so nice of you, saying you're a great guy and that no one seems to understand how much you care about them...I think he was talking about your friends. Then I met you, and albeit we had a shocking first meeting, I discovered you were nice and funny."

"And then you saw what I did to Justin… I get it, Isabelle. If he can give me a second chance...I'm sure you can too. I would show you I never meant to hurt him."

"I'm ready!" Justin returned to Brian's side, smiling brightly. "Why so serious?" He grabbed Brian's face between his thumb and middle finger, kissing his pouting lips.

"Where are you going?" Izzy asked, confused at why Justin was wearing a suit.

"Simon wants me to meet someone."

"I thought you were going to ditch him," she muttered.

"I will, but so far I have only six people in my portfolio. I want at least ten. Besides, let me see how it works with these commissions. I have a feeling I'm going to lose Mr. Rochester," Justin explained.

"Why's that? He could bring big money."

"He insists I go with him to his country house in England. Not happening."

"Who is this person?" Brian inquired.

"Some old dude." Justin shrugged.

Brian narrowed his eyes. "How old?"

"Older than acceptable for such an offer to a young man," Justin answered diplomatically, making Izzy laugh.

"I see." Brian smirked. "We should go if you want to be on time at the gallery."

"When am I going to see you? Are you coming tomorrow at work?" Izzy asked, as they made their way to the door.

"Of course! What question is that?"

"Well, I don't know… I expect you to spend less time home now…" She waved to Brian.

"I'm still going to pay my share of rent if that's the problem," Justin told her.

"That's not the thing. I was getting used to have a normal roommate." She sighed sadly.

Justin caught Brian's eyes, surprised at the change in Izzy. He went to her, touching her arm. "Hey, I'm not leaving. It's not like I'm moving in with Brian or anything. I'll spend some nights with him, some here… don't worry." He kissed her cheek.

She latched on him, hugging him tightly. "Don't get hurt again," she whispered into his ear.

"I won't. See you tomorrow."

oOo

Justin and Brian arrived at the gallery a few minutes before eight in the evening.

Justin spotted Simon, and his eyes widened when he saw who was next to him. He groaned loudly, attempting to push Brian toward the exit.

"That guy next to Simon kept pestering me at his parties to do his portrait...nude. I've run out of polite ways to decline him," he told Brian under his breath.

"What the fuck? Where's the sense of decency?"

Justin would have laughed any other time hearing those words out of Brian's mouth.

Before they could make a hasty retreat, Simon intercepted them, smiling broadly.

"Oh, and you brought your boyfriend! I haven't seen him in months!" Simon shook their hands. "Justin, let me introduce you to Frederick Simpson."

"We've met," Justin said with a tight smile. "Can I talk with you for a second, Simon?" He pulled his agent to the side, away from Frederick.

"Is everything okay? Are you too swamped at the moment?" Simon asked concerned.

"I won't do anything for that man. He cornered me at your parties. I don't do nudes. Unless the subject is Brian, as you must have noticed. So, please tell him to ask someone else."

"Do you know how much money he could bring us?"

"Simon, I refuse to do it!"

"Don't be a fool. You're lucky to do for a living what you love, other people are stuck in jobs they hate. Think of this as a little sacrifice."

"No. This is my final answer. If this is the end of our work together, I'm sorry, but I won't do such a thing, Simon."

"I hate refusing clients."

"That's his problem. I told him numerous times no, then he came to you. I don't even care if he offers to pay all the money in the world."

"Okay, Justin. This is your first refusal, and make sure you think twice before you do it again. Besides, you should have told me from the first time he came to you."

"I had no idea I had to report to you about all the people who hit on me. If this is all, I'm leaving." Justin spun on his heels, grabbing Brian's sleeve, pulling him toward the exit without a second glance to his potential client.

"You weren't exactly quiet," Brian commented.

"I don't give a fuck if he heard. At least all the other men who asked for commissions had the decency to ask for normal paintings, not blatantly offer themselves to me."

"Calm down, Sunshine. I'm sure the man only wanted his portrait. Not everyone is after sex."

Justin shot Brian a hard look. "If I've learned anything from Simon's parties, it's that everyone is after sex. I was around a corner with Ethan, hiding from my fans, when I heard a group of men who had praised me and spoken very nicely to me. They all wanted commissions and I gave them my card. Then I heard them talking about what they actually wanted."

"I still can't believe how you've reconnected with Ian."

Justin rolled his eyes, clearing his throat loudly as they got in the car.

Brian shot him an apologetic look, realizing they were in a pot meet kettle situation.

"If I accept you working with Evan, then you have to accept my friendship with Ian. Fuck! Ethan."

Brian laughed. "I'll think about it."

"Do you want me to be that kind of controlling boyfriend who calls every five minutes or drops by at your work unannounced to check on you?"

"Please do. Your presence will keep me sane," Brian almost begged. "The mock-ups ended up amazing, but you have no idea how much we screamed at each other. I think my employees are terrified to be around us when we're in the same room together."

"Okay, I get it. I'll visit you and save you from your ex-boss, actual business partner."

"Thanks."

"And you're welcome at one of Simon's parties to see how we get bored to tears." Justin touched Brian's thigh. "Maybe you could help me dissipate the boredom in an empty bathroom."

Brian smiled. "Sounds like a plan."