- Text Size +

 

 

The New Job

When Justin emerged out of his room the next morning, the sun was up and shining. His roommate was just stumbling out of her room, her hair a mess and make-up smudged.

"Morning," she mumbled through a yawn.

"Hey. When did you get back?"

"A few hours ago. It was a looooong night."

"If you're tired, why don't you go back to bed?"

"Yeah, right. Like I could sleep with those monsters outside my window. Don't you simply hate pigeons?"

"Actually, I'm quite fond of them. They're cute." Justin grinned.

"They're devil sent creatures." She went to prepare the coffee. "Would you be a dear and go around the corner to get waffles?"

"I can make them, or pancakes, or something else," he offered.

"You cook?" Izzy beamed. "I'm going to send Daphne a big box of chocolate."

Justin rolled his eyes. "Eggs? Flour? Milk?"

Izzy pointed out where he could find everything he needed. While she made the coffee, Justin worked on an omelet, the only thing he could make with what he found in the fridge.

After profusely thanking him for the breakfast, Izzy disappeared in her room to take advantage of the good lighting.

Justin returned to his sketches. One of them was of Brian sprawled on his bed, the way Justin had left him sleeping before his departure to New York. He wondered if the time apart was going to make him forget the finer details of Brian's body.

His phone ringing pulled him out of his artistic daze.

Justin grinned when he saw the caller ID. "Hey!"

"Hey, yourself. You sound happy," Brian said quietly.

"You have perfect timing. I was shading your ass."

"What," Brian choked on his spit.

"It's my new drawing. If you're a good boy, I might send it to you," Justin teased.

"I sure hope so. No one is allowed to see my ass. My dick, sure. Not my ass."

"You're a weirdo."

"I got your message. Tell me about your new job."

"I'll go later to meet the boss. It sounds like the ideal job in a bar." Justin laughed. "You know, a step up from the diner and a step down from being a successful go-go boy."

Brian snorted. "And miles away from your dream job to be a painter," he reminded him gently.

"I'll get there. I have a meeting scheduled for Friday with Simon. If I get a spot at that gallery he promised me on the phone…"

"I'll send you everything in the next few days. I was at your beautiful apartment yesterday when you couldn't reach me. I wrapped up everything and they're ready to be delivered."

"Aw! Thank you! I told Daph to do that when she could."

"She coerced me into being her assistant," Brian muttered. "Thankfully, she came bearing gifts. Whiskey and cookies."

Justin laughed, imagining his best friend and boyfriend sitting on the floor of his former studio, wrapping his paintings while drinking and eating cookies. "Then why didn't you pick up? Too drunk to talk to me?"

"You don't have signal in that pig pen, Sunshine."

"Oh. If you stayed at the window, leaning toward the window, you could get two lines of signal," Justin explained.

"I still can't believe you actually lived in that place."

"It was my first own place. It had style."

"Yeah, right. I bet your new place isn't much better," Brian said, amused.

"It is, actually. But you need to be an artist to love this place."

There were a few minutes of silence, where Justin listened to Brian's breathing. He was sure Brian would abruptly end their call, saying he was busy because awkward pauses weren't his thing.

"I miss you," Brian admitted in a small voice.

"Me too," Justin said with a smile. "A lot."

They were interrupted by banging on Justin's door and Izzy demanding him to get ready if he wanted her to introduce him to Oliver.

"I guess I have to go."

"Well, good luck!"

Justin could tell Brian had expected their phone call to be longer, but he had to go to his potential new job. "We'll talk tomorrow. Tell everyone I said hi."

"Will do."

"Bye, Brian."

"Don't say that," Brian chided him. "Later, twat."

"Later." Justin smiled, hugging the phone to his chest as he worked on pushing back his tears.

The door of his room opened to reveal Izzy dressed and ready to go. She eyed him curiously. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah. Sorry. I'll be ready in five." He grabbed some clothes and rushed into the bathroom, where he splashed cold water over his face.

He could do it. Justin glared at his reflection in the mirror. He had to be strong and survive without Brian for a while.

oOo

On the way to Raging Bull, Justin was introduced to the bus and the train. Izzy explained the importance of him catching the 6:15 pm train, or he'd have to wait fifteen more minutes and be late. Oliver hated tardiness.

They arrived in Soho by six forty-five, and Izzy dragged him to the bar, not allowing him to look around, explaining he had the time to gape like a fish the next morning if he wanted.

Inside the bar were already a few people. Among them was a man shouting orders and intimating the ones around him.

"Don't worry. He's more bark than bite. Sorry you had to meet him at his worst. Oliver is actually really sweet and funny."

"I'm used to his kind," Justin explained.

Oliver stomped away from the group of employees. On his way to his office, he spotted Izzy along with a blond boy.

"I think I told you not to bring your boyfriend."

Izzy giggled. "This isn't my boyfriend. Remember, I told you about my roommate? This is Justin."

"Hi." Justin smiled. "We spoke on the phone."

"Hello, Justin. Oliver Platt." He held his hand.

Justin shook his hand. "Justin Taylor."

"Very nice meeting you, Justin. If you'd follow me into my office. I'll tell you what I need, then it all depends on you."

Justin beamed at Izzy, happy following Oliver. He sat across from his potential boss at the desk, fidgeting.

"Okay, Justin. Tell me about your former job and what exactly you did. If you have any other experience in working in bar, I'd like to know."

"Uh, well, I worked for about three years, on and off, at Liberty Diner. No one ever complained about my waiting skills, aside from the odd spilled drink, but that's another story. I don't know how relevant this is, but I used to be a go-go boy for a very short while so I could pay my tuition for college. And just about that."

Oliver tapped his chin. "A go-go boy? These tweaked out kids who dance on the bar?"

Justin averted his eyes. "I realized it was counterproductive with my goal to learn and go to school, so I gave it up. That, and…uh, I didn't get along with the owner."

"I bet. Refusing to do drugs to stay up all night might irk the owner." Oliver laughed dryly. "Oh, don't worry, I'm not into that," he added when Justin eyed him apprehensively.

"Okay, good. So you want me as a waiter? What exactly do I have to do?"

"You know how to mix drinks?"

"Some…I'm a country club boy." Justin flashed him a smile.

"You can work behind the bar, if you'd like. Luke needs help. He's been alone there ever since I had to fire my usual bartender for giving minors alcohol."

"Oh, I won't do it, but don't hold it against me if they fool me with a fake ID," Justin said seriously. "I can read these underage kids. I know what signs to look after."

"And how is that? Were you one of them too?" Oliver laughed.

Justin flushed. "Maybe," he mumbled. "But recently, I've stayed a lot around the bodyguard at Babylon, that's my boyfriend's night club. I know who the security guys made to turn around."

Oliver nodded. "I see you know quite some about the bar business. Definitely more than the average person who comes looking for a job."

"So, do I get it?"

"If I need you in the bar, helping with the customers, are you going to help?"

"You don't have to ask. Of course, I will. Bartender, waiter, whatever you want."

"Good. Let me draw up a contract. We're going to hire you, and if you don't have any plans, you can stay tonight and get familiarized with everything."

"One thing, though… Oliver. Is it okay if I call you Oliver?"

"Sure. Is there a problem?"

Justin scratched his head. "There might be a few nights…I might not be able to come. I came to New York to become a known artist, this is something I do for money and frankly, it's fun. But if I have a show or something…"

Oliver smiled, already liking Justin. He hadn't seen such a honest person in too long. "Don't worry, Justin. We can work with that. You tell me when you can't make it, and we'll figure something."

"Great. Thank you. Let's sign that contract."