- Text Size +

 

 

Protective

Brian and Justin arrived in Toronto near noon time on Tuesday. Brian had to go to work on Monday and deal with a situation about one of his accounts, and Justin squeezed a few hours to meet with Viviane.

"I wonder if they're upset," Justin said, as they stood on the porch waiting for the girls to answer the door.

"We did promise to come yesterday," Brian said pointedly.

"But you heard Lindsay's strained voice last night."

The door opened to reveal a disheveled Lindsay.

Brian smirked, acknowledging they interrupted one of their alone moments. "Nice way to wait for your guests, Wendy."

She flushed, wrapping her arms around Justin. "It's good seeing you, honey."

"Don't mind me," Brian said, slightly hurt she'd gone for Justin first.

To pacify him, Justin tugged him closer, allowing them to hug while he wheeled their suitcase in the house.

Lindsay led them to the living room. She had cookies prepared, sitting on a plateau on the coffee table.

"Woo. Cookies. Last time you gave me cookies was when you announced to me that you were taking my son away." Brian stole a chocolate chip cookie, biting on it.

"Why don't you two get comfortable then we talk?"

"Are you and Mel okay?" Justin asked, concerned.

"Yes, thank you, Justin. We're better than ever."

"That's good to hear." Justin smiled back at her.

"Cut the bullshit small talk. What's this all about?" Brian muttered. "We're here so early because we wanted to spend quality time with Gus before his birthday this weekend."

"Brian, maybe now it's not the time to tell you. Get settled then…" Lindsay tried to keep him calm.

"What the fuck is going on?" He snapped.

Mel came from upstairs with JR, roused from her nap by their arrival. "What Linz is trying to say is that Toronto is not that homo heaven we thought it would be." She kissed Justin's cheek and nodded to Brian.

"Did something happen?" Justin gasped, but smiled when Mel passed JR to his arms. "Hi, sweetie."

"We're sleepy, so don't expect much talk," Mel explained, stroking her daughter's head.

"Tell me now," Brian hissed at Lindsay. "It has to do with Gus, doesn't it?"

She sighed heavily. "Yes. There was this kid who made some rude comments at the beginning of the school year. Gus came home asking what the big deal was of him living with his mommies, and his daddies being so far away. The other kids had their mommy and daddy in the same place."

"I don't see the harm in the legit question," Brian interjected.

"Then he asked why the other kid asked him so many questions about his mommies, because it was unnatural." She used invisible quotation marks when saying the last word, rolling her eyes.

"That's normal, Lindsay. And children are the most judgmental of all people."

"Then he came home yesterday…" She added in a small, pained voice.

"Crying," Mel whispered.

"Oh, God." Justin groaned, realizing it was headed a bad direction.

"Where are you going?" Lindsay asked when Brian turned to leave.

"To his school. I won't fucking let some spoiled brat to hurt my child because his parents think couples of the same sex are unnatural," he said, sneering.

"Don't you want to hear what upset him?" Lindsay asked. "It was that kid again, ruining Gus's happy mood about you two visiting for his birthday."

"I figured something like that. You coming?" Brian caught Justin's eye.

"Sure." Shaken, he handed JR back to her mommy, joining Brian. "We'll be back soon."

"Take our car." Lindsay gave them the keys. "You know where the school is, right?"

"I've been here before, Linz." Brian rolled his eyes, heading out with Justin in tow.

oOo

They arrived at school just as classes ended for the day.

Brian stood, leaning against the hood of the car, eyes fixed on the front door. Justin was by his side, keeping a hand on his elbow, unsure how to act.

He'd been the subject of bullying in his high school days, but he was older, he understood more, he could defend himself and stand up for himself. Gus couldn't even understand why others found it odd that he had four parents for all intents and purposes.

"Where is he?" Brian tapped his foot, swiping his eyes over the mass of children coming out of the school.

One of the last to leave was Gus, trudging his backpack after him, his clothes rumpled.

"Fuck," Brian spat, his heart stopping. He rushed to him, crouching to his side, hugging him tightly. "Are you hurt, Sonny Boy? What happened to you?" He frantically tried arranging Gus's jacket, but it would stubbornly slip off his shoulder.

"D-daddy!" Gus wrapped his arms around Brian's neck. "It was Bobby! He tripped me."

"Where is your teacher? I have to talk to her."

Gus sniffed, pointing to a man near his nemesis. "It's a he, Daddy. And he's talking to Bobby's mommy."

"Justin, stay with Gus." Brian passed his son to his partner, taking a few long strides to the others.

He thrust his hand out to Gus's teacher. "Brian Kinney, Gus's father. We have to talk about this school's incompetence about keeping children safe!" His eyes caught the woman standing next to them, and narrowed. "Look, lady, I don't care what your opinion is about my lifestyle, but keep your comments away from your son. He's been bullying my child, and you don't want to see me angry."

"Sir, Bobby would never hurt anyone," she defended her child.

"Well, newsflash, he just did! Gus told me your brat tripped him. He also said mean things about Gus's parents, us, yesterday. I rarely get to see him, and I'd rather see him happy than depressed as fuck because he's surrounded by homophobes."

"Bobby, is this true? Have you been mean to your classmate?" The woman questioned her son.

"Of course not, Mommy. Gus is my friend."

The teacher interjected. "Actually, that's why I wanted to speak to you in private, Mrs. Leigh. Bobby has been a real troublemaker since school started a few weeks ago. His latest target is Gus, who had never done anything wrong." The teacher smiled at Brian. "Your son was really excited to get to spend some time with his daddies, and he boasted it to everyone who has ears."

"Well, apparently, some of his classmates don't share his joy," Brian muttered, but could only imagine how adorable Gus was, telling everyone that his daddies were coming over. "So, Mrs. Leigh, is it? I suggest you have a talk with your kid. If I hear Gus complaining about being bullied one more time, I will raise hell."

"I'm so sorry, Mr. …" She eyed him unsure.

"Kinney," Brian snapped. He'd presented himself once.

"Yes, Mr. Kinney. I will have a talk with Bobby. His dad and I are going through a rough patch, but that doesn't excuse his behavior."

"Good. Gus's mothers have moved here in hopes to find a better environment to raise their children, and this happens. They're barely seven years old. What should we expect in ten years?"

"I apologize," Mrs. Leigh said, embarrassed. "Come on, Bobby." She made to leave, but Justin seized up the opportunity to join their group.

"Uh, before you leave, maybe your son could apologize to Gus. Promise him to be nice from now on," Justin said sternly.

Brian could tell the whole situation hit a little too close to home, and was proud of him for handling it so well.

Bobby looked pleadingly at his mother, not wanting to say sorry to Gus, who was so happy with his stupid family. His father had told him it was not normal for people of the same sex to be together, yet it seemed Gus had two mommies and two daddies who got along very well, and they weren't leaving each other, like his daddy planned on doing. So Gus's family was at fault, in his mind.

"Now, Bobby," Mrs. Leigh urged him, pushing him to Gus.

Gus clung to Brian's pants, refusing to look at his classmate.

"I'm not sorry. He gets to have two mommies and two daddies—a happy unnatural family. We have a normal family and yet, Daddy is leaving," Bobby finished his speech, watching his mother with tears in his eyes.

In that moment, all adults present understood Bobby's rebelling.

His mother hugged him tightly, apologizing once again to Brian and Justin, before steering her son to the car, asking why hadn't he told her how he felt.

"Well...I never," the teacher said sorrowfully. "I am really sorry for what happened to Gus, Mr. Kinney. I do my best to keep them united in class, but I can't keep an eye on them during breaks."

Brian picked Gus up, hugging him to his chest. "I get it, though if it happens again for whatever reason, I'm withdrawing Gus from this school."

"I hope it won't happen again. It's always sad when one of the children has problems at home and takes his anger on his classmates."

Brian led Justin and Gus to the car.

Brian frowned at the empty backseat. "Don't you have a booster seat, buddy?"

Gus scowled. "They're for babies. I over-grew them. I'm seven now."

"Out-grew. Out-grown, even," Justin said automatically, sharing a small smile with Brian.

"Yeah, not quite yet. You're still six."

"For three more days. Big deal."

"It is a big deal. Justin, sit with him."

Justin put a finger to his lips, when Gus opened his mouth to retort. "Come on. Get in, kiddo." He turned to Brian, cupping his cheek, once Gus was inside the car. "I know you are scared and angry, but don't take it out on him. And don't take it out on the girls either. Maybe the laws are different here. Maybe they are rebels."

"I guess you're right. Let's go. I'm in dire need of a fucking shower."

"It's not my fault you stayed so late at work, then you've forgone the shower in favor to fuck me. I'm not complaining, though." Justin grinned, pecking Brian's lips, before getting in the backseat.

"I don't wanna go home," Gus said in a small voice, as Brian got behind the wheel.

He turned around, resting his elbow on the headrest of his seat. "What do you mean you don't want to go home?"

"I miss you two. I want to go somewhere with you alone," Gus explained, snuggling into Justin.

Justin peered down at the boy in his arms, then he met Brian's watery eyes.

"Where?" Brian asked, after clearing his throat several times.

"A nice restaurant. My mommies never take me because I'm too young."

"It's settled. Justin, why don't you check what restaurants we can go?"

Justin pulled his phone out and with Gus's help, they selected a food establishment close to where they were at the moment.

.

.

.

Once they were seated in a corner booth with Gus between them, Brian started questioning Gus about his school. He didn't like what was happening in there.

"It never happened before. Since school started Bobby was mean to me and a few others. Mr. Kelly tried to talk to him…"

"Mr. Kelly?" Brian frowned, accepting the menu from the waiter.

"My teacher, Daddy. Keep up. His name is Ken Kelly."

"His parents must have hated him," Brian mumbled. "So what will it be?"

"Fries." Gus beamed.

"No way. You like chicken, right?" Brian checked, catching his son's eye. He got an affirmative bob of head. "Good. We'll have three grilled chicken breasts and the stir-fry of assorted vegetables. Salad?"

"Beetroot for me," Justin said.

"White and red cabbage for me," Brian added. "And you, buddy?"

"I want the fries!"

The waiter smiled indulgently.

"Maybe we could get him the fries, Brian. He can have from our vegetables," Justin suggested. "Two vegetable stir-ups and one of fries," he told the waiter. "What salad would you have, Gussy?"

"Like Daddy."

"Good choice." Justin looked at the waiter, seeing him nodding.

"What drinks?" The man asked.

Brian caught Justin's eye. "Beer? Yeah, beer," he told the waiter. "Beck's, if you have. And you, Sonny Boy?"

"Apple juice."

"They don't have that. They have orange juice, mango juice, pineapple juice…"

"Pineapple!" Gus grinned, smacking his lips together, making the adults laugh.

Brian smiled at his son, cuddling him close after the waiter left. He pressed a loving kiss to the top of his head, hoping nothing evil would come near him. Rationally, Brian knew he couldn't keep the mean people away from his son, but he'd try his best.

Chapter End Notes:

I'm going to add another companion story. It will be short and it will feature Baby Purry. =)

As for this chapter, I can see this happening, and Brian moving mountains to make sure his son is safe.