- Text Size +



Father Figure

During their meal, Lindsay called, worried about them. Brian calmed her, saying Gus was spending quality time with his daddies.

For dessert they had molten chocolate cake.

Initially, Brian stood his ground about too much chocolate and the carbs, then he saw it. Justin offered him a taste, and Brian ended up stealing his plate.

Gus graciously offered to share his with Justin, which made Justin smile brightly.

"Thank you, Gussy. Though, that's yours. I'd rather share with your dad. You know how he feels about too much chocolate."

"He feels wonderful," Brian answered through a mouthful of cake.

"Daddy, it's not nice to talk with your mouth full. You have to always swallow first."

Despite the innocent yet serious statement, Brian choked on his food when he started laughing.

Justin reached to thump his back, shaking his head. "Keep your snide remarks to yourself," he said under his breath.

After eating, Brian decided to do something therapeutic. In his mind shopping was a therapeutic activity.

Gus didn't mind walking down the aisles holding his dad's hand, getting pretty clothes, but Justin wasn't sharing their love for shopping.

While Gus was in the fitting room with a dozen clothes to try on, despite the fact there was a sign clearly stating no more than four items at a time, Justin sat on the bench made for people like him. Brian was pacing up and down the small hallway, asking Gus if the jeans fit, if the sweater was the right size, if he needed a size smaller or another color. It was all giving Justin a headache.

He was happy everything had ended well after all at Gus's school, and that the crisis could be averted, but Brian had no limit in making Gus feel safe and loved.

The door opened, and Gus shyly came out, tugging at the cable knit sweater.

Even Justin had to admit that he looked handsome, and all the time spent on browsing clothes was worth it.

Brian swiped his eyes over his son. The beige sweater wasn't too big or too small, the dark blue skinny jeans hugged Gus's legs in a way that made him look taller, and the brown boots, left untied completed the look. At last, he was proud to see his son dressed like a normal boy his age.

"You look amazing, Sonny Boy. Doesn't this look become him?" Brian lifted a brow at Justin.

"Yeah. Handsome."

"Now go and try the plaid shirt and the light blue jeans." Brian steered him back inside the small room.

"Well, at least we know he takes after you in the fashion department," Justin joked.

"Sunshine, it would have been a crime if Gus didn't have my fashion sense." He leaned against a mirror, folding his arms across his chest.

Justin's eyes zeroed on the bulging biceps, and he licked his lips. Brian smirked, having caught him, and to torment him further, he flexed his muscles. Justin gulped thickly, shifting uncomfortably, adjusting himself. Brian looked him up and down in a way that Justin knew Brian was imagining him naked and bent over.

Their fantasy was ruined by a man heading to the last fitting room.

Justin noticed the look that man threw Brian, the one that said come hither.

In any other scenario, Brian would have gone after him, but at the moment he was there for his son. Besides, to Justin's astonishment, he hadn't even noticed the other guy until he shut the door a little too harshly at being blatantly rejected.

"Dad? I'm stuck," Gus called out.

"That's the problem with skinny jeans, kid." Brian laughed, slipping into the fitting room with his son.

Justin figured Gus didn't have to get out of there now that Brian was with him, thus why they seemed to have been swallowed by the abyss. At least seven different people came and left the fitting area while Justin waited on the bench, his knee bobbing as he strained to hear their murmurs from the inside. During his waiting, Justin was even hit on by three different guys, decent looking, and he turned them down with a smile.

When Justin saw a fourth man coming his way, he stood, heading to the door separating him from his men. He knocked once.

"You guys still alive in there?"

The door opened. Justin caught a glimpse of Gus's milky white back before he tugged on yet another shirt. Brian thrust a few clothes in his arms.

"Put this on the rack here. We're not taking them. Also, could you go back in the store and look for the leather jacket I saw? Remember, the black one with the buckles?"

"Brian, he's a little too young for that."

"I only want to see how it looks. I'm not going to buy him some synthetic leather jacket. When we get back home, we're going to Hugo Boss."

Justin resisted the urge to groan. He was over this shopping experience.

It was half an hour later when they finally left the store with three bags.

Instead of heading for the car, Brian steered them to a winter clothes store. Justin tried remembering what he'd done wrong to deserve such punishment.

It took less time to select a winter jacket and a set of hat, scarf, and gloves.

When they were finally in the car, Justin slumped in the backseat, yawning loudly.

"I'm never going shopping with you. That's a promise I intend to keep."

"Just because you've been depraved of a fashion sense…"

"Brian, I paint. I get messy. I don't need fashion. You go and spend days shopping. I'd rather paint my next best thing rather than browse for clothes for hours."

"You don't like shopping?" Gus gasped, watching him curiously. "You don't like buying new things?"

Justin pointed to his jeans. "Autumn 2003, this street corner shop with great sales. This shirt is from my last shopping trip with your dad in Pittsburgh."

"Which was before my birthday in 2004."

"And these sneakers? I have them since high school. Still good."

Gus stared at him in horror. "After wearing something a few times, I get bored of it. And it doesn't help that I grow up."

"Well, I've done my growing. You'll see that soon you won't give up clothes so easily."

"Don't listen to him, Sonny Boy. I will make you cards for all big stores so you can go and get clothes. And we're done with these two bucks jeans. I'll have a talk with your mothers about the way they dress you."

oOo

It was late evening when they arrived at the girls' house.

Lindsay chided them for keeping Gus out so late on a school night, when he had homework.

After a light dinner, Justin went upstairs with Gus to help him with his school work, while Brian told the girls about what had happened at school. They commonly agreed not take any action unless Bobby said anything again. Lindsay offered to talk to Bobby's mother about the situation, realizing it must be a tough time for her.

When Mel went to check on JR, then see if Justin and Gus needed help, Lindsay seized the opportunity to talk with Brian about their son's birthday.

"So about this Saturday," she started in a quiet voice.

"We didn't go overboard. Justin insisted on the bike, which is being shipped by the end of the week. Also, everything I got him today is part of the present," Brian explained.

"A bike? Mel would love that."

"It's a bicycle! Not a motorbike, he's seven, for fuck's sake."

Lindsay laughed. "Of course. Anything else I should know about? This seems too tame coming from you."

Brian put his tongue in cheek. "We're saving the pony for Christmas, dear."

"Fuck you, Brian." She swatted his arm lightly.

Later, when Justin and Melanie returned to the living room, Brian tried hinting at them going to a hotel.

"You're staying. Do you have any idea how crushed Gus will be if he wakes in the middle of the night and not find you here?" Mel snapped.

"We prepared the guest bedroom for you. It's downstairs. Let me show you," Lindsay said.

"I know where the fucking guest bedroom is. I've stayed over plenty," Brian hissed. "I was just saying…" He caught Justin's eye, winking.

"Of course." Mel rolled her eyes. "Do you ever think of anything else besides getting your dick in Justin?"

"I dedicate some time to think of my son and my job."

Justin chuckled nervously. He didn't like it when Mel and Brian were at each other's throats. "Let's go and try getting some sleep. I bet you're tired after your hectic week at work." He pulled Brian up and off the couch.

In the guest bedroom, Brian stripped off his clothes, leaving only his boxers on, before getting in bed.

"No shower?" Justin asked, surprised. "I sure as hell need one." He sniffed his armpits, gagging. "I stink like fuck."

"Too tired. I guess you're right." Brian shrugged.

"Okay. What upset you? That we're not staying in a hotel?" Justin sat on the edge of the bed, putting a hand on Brian's leg.

"I guess I'm worried about this account we have now. Separation withdrawals."

"Brian, stop lying to yourself. It scares you what's going on at Gus's school. It's okay to be scared."

He sat up in bed, glaring at Justin. "They're fucking kids! They have no clue what they're talking about. They parrot what they hear at home...and the sad part is that both the bully and the bullied know these are bad words and that adults fight over such things."

"Do you have any idea why Bobby's dad would say such things? Mel and I were thinking that Bobby's mom might like pussy and he caught her or something."

"Justin, straight people don't need an excuse to throw insults our way. Besides, he said those things when Bobby went home praising about how happy Gus was to be reunited with his daddies."

"It's been going on for longer than this. Didn't you hear?"

"Well, the girls will talk with Bobby's mom." Brian sighed. "How quiet can you be?" He raised a brow.

"Very quiet." Justin grinned.

"Yeah, right. Remember the times I visited while you lived with Debbie?"

"I've improved my skills at being quiet since I was seventeen," Justin said seriously.

"We'll see in about five minutes. Shower?"

Smiling brightly, Justin pulled Brian to the adjoined bathroom.

Chapter End Notes:

Leave me your thoughts. I like knowing what you think of the story...even though I don't have time to respond.