- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

We're in December now, quite the time jump, I know, but it's worth it.

Romantic Gesture

"Hello. This is Brian Kinney. I'm not available right now, so please leave a message and I'll get back to you later."

Justin threw his hands in the air, growling loudly. He glared at his reflection in the mirror, tugging violently at his too tight-knotted tie.

It was the night of his last art show as Simon's protegee. After over an year, he'd managed to pull away and become independent.

The event was coincidentally one day before his birthday. He was turning twenty-three, and also had accomplished more than many his age. Justin was proud of himself. For the first time in his life he was truly happy, he could see his career was headed in the right direction, he had a wonderful and infuriating and gorgeous man by his side, encouraging him at every turn, and he had an amazing family supporting him.

Though, at the moment, Justin wasn't so sure about Brian being that wonderful guy.

They had planned the night to the last detail; only for Brian to go missing in action hours before the show.

Justin had declined Simon's offer to hire him a limousine, but he was regretting it. His ride wasn't picking up the phone.

After one last look in the mirror, he deemed himself ready.

There were forty-five minutes left before the show started and he had no idea where Brian was.

Getting more and more irritated, Justin called Kinnetik.

"Thank you for calling Kinnetik Inc.. We are outside of working hours. Please leave us a message with your business and name, and we will—"

Justin hung up, resisting the urge to smash his phone to the ground.

"Fuck."

He went in search of Brian's agenda, hoping to find it on his desk in his study. There it was, next to his laptop.

With shaky fingers, Justin thumbed through it, in search of a name that made him want to vomit.

He was about to give up when he finally found Evan's business card stashed at the very end of the agenda. He toyed with the small plastic, before dialing the number.

"Steele," Evan answered promptly, and Justin wished his man was as prompt as his nemesis.

"Uh, hi. It's Justin," he said in a small voice. His heart was beating out of his chest.

"Justin?" Evan repeated, confused. "Oh, Justin. Hello, little hellcat. Long time, no talk."

Gritting his teeth, he took a deep breath. "Just curious, you know...by any chance, have you heard from Brian today?"

"I haven't seen or talked to him since two weeks ago when we bumped into each other at the gym. He said you had a cold and couldn't make it."

"I had the fucking flu. I was best friends with the toilet. And okay."

"Okay, what? Is there trouble in Paradise?" Evan joked.

"Fuck off. I think his phone discharged again."

"Well, is there anything else I can help with? I'm kind of busy. I'm headed to the gym to have a date with my personal trainer."

Justin rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Thanks for nothing." He hung up, hating what he'd just done. He fucking trusted Brian. Why did he call Evan?

Palming his face, he shuffled out of the study, pouring himself a glass of whiskey. After downing it, he made sure the cat had water and food, stroked behind his ears, before leaving. He had half an hour to get to his show.

What respectable artist comes to his own show in a cab?

On the way there, he tried Brian's phone again, reaching the same stupid voicemail.

When he reached the gallery, he breezed through the side entrance, not giving a fuck about the people expecting him at the front. He got curious glances from the staff, but they didn't comment.

Justin got himself a double Jack, before heading to the family. They'd already arrived and were admiring his latest paintings.

He wrapped an arm around his mother's shoulders, smiling. "Hi, Mom."

"Justin!" She hugged him tightly.

"We were looking for you to make a grand entrance." Daphne winked. She knew about his former plan with Brian.

"Maybe some other time." He shrugged.

"Where's my to-be-son-in-law?" Jennifer asked, looking around.

"Busy, I guess," Justin lied. "He'll be here later, hopefully."

"That kid works too much." Debbie shook her head, walking closer and wrapping Justin in her arms. "I swear, you look thinner every time I see you."

"Isn't that a good thing?" Justin smirked.

"No, it's not. You need to eat. No one likes a skinny ass."

Justin flushed. "Hey, my ass isn't skinny. Brian seems to still like it."

Debbie peered over his shoulder. "It has lost some of the plumpness."

"Mom, leave him alone." Michael groaned, smiling at Justin. "Hey, Boy Wonder."

Justin rolled his eyes. Michael hadn't called him that in ages. "Hey, how's it going?" He shuffled a few feet away with Michael, glad the family had their attention on Molly, who started whining about the boring scenario. He made a mental note to talk to her too.

"What do you mean?" Michael raised a brow.

"You came alone," Justin said pointedly.

"Ben's busy with… What do you know?" He averted.

"Brian became suspicious when you kept dodging usual questions about Ben. So I called him last week."

"He didn't tell me."

"Well, has anything changed since then? I hope I convinced him to tell you."

"Tell me what? What's going on?" Michael groaned. "He's all the time at college and when he's home, he's writing."

Justin bit on his lip. It wasn't his place to tell Michael. He sincerely thought his talk to Ben had made him realize how important it was for Michael to know what was going on. Closing up wasn't going to change the fact that all his latest tests were fucked up.

Michael's eyes watered, understanding what Justin wasn't saying. "Is it time to prepare for the worst?"

Justin gasped. "No! Just...make sure he doesn't overexert himself, he still eats healthy, he sleeps enough...we don't want a repeat of the last time he ended up in the hospital."

"I figured it had to do with him seeing the doctor, but he brushed me off."

"Welcome to my world," Justin joked. "That's how Brian acts all the time."

"Speaking of, he's not at work, is he? Are you two fighting, or something?" Michael knew them too well.

"I have no idea," Justin said sincerely. "Look, I have to go say hi to Molly. It's my big brother duty, apparently. If you want to go home...I mean, you should go home. Ben needs you."

"And you won't mind if I just take off?"

"Michael, go to Ben. I'll explain to Brian why he missed you...if he decides to show up."

Without an explanation to anyone else, Michael left in a hurry.

Justin approached the family, taking Molly's hand and pulling her away from the group.

"Don't tell me you're going to berate me for acting like a baby, too! I don't see you for months and when I do, I actually don't."

Justin stared at her amused, before catching her in a tight hug. "I actually missed you, Mollusk." He kissed the top of her head. They were almost the same height.

"I miss you too, Justin."

In that moment, he was overwhelmed with how much he actually loved his little sister. Still squeezing her to his chest, he said the first thing that popped into his mind.

"How would you like to spend Christmas here with me and Brian?"

She pulled back to gawk at him. "For real? New York at Christmas? That's like...my dream holiday!"

"I know." He stroked her hair.

"Yes!" She jumped up and down, before settling and becoming somber.

"I bet Mom won't mind," Justin said dismissively.

"It's just that… Don't worry, I can always cancel."

"What are you talking about? Make plans with friends?" He winked.

"I just...I had to go to Dad's this Christmas, for brunch."

"We'll have Christmas brunch on Fifth Avenue if you want—far more entertaining. I bet he won't mind, either. And if he does, tell him you'd rather spend Christmas with your awesome big brother and his fiance."

She giggled, kissed his cheek, then rushed to her mother, shouting she was staying with her brother for Christmas. Jennifer chided her for inviting herself over when both Justin and Brian were busy.

Justin joined them, coming to Molly's aid. "I asked her, Mom. You and Tucker deserve a break. And I bet the sack of shit didn't really want her there. I do. We do." He squeezed his sister to his side.

Simon stole him from his family, touring him to meet new people, all the while complaining that he was insane for leaving. Justin bit his tongue to keep from saying he'd been waiting for this moment since he accepted to come to New York City.

He was talking with a gentleman about one of his paintings, surprised of the knowledge the man possessed, when he felt a tug on his pants.

Looking down, Justin gasped. "Gus!" He crouched to hug to boy, too shocked by his appearance to even ask how he'd gotten there. "Excuse me. It was very nice meeting you," he added to the man, now smiling at them. "Talk to Beatrice if you still want Glow in the Dark, please." The man nodded, departing. "Gussy!" Justin said with joy.

"I know. I missed you too, but come with me." With small, eager hands, the child pulled him toward the exit.

"Let me grab my coat." The words were barely out of his mouth when Daphne came to his aid, wearing a big smile.

Something was up, Justin thought suspiciously.

He allowed Gus to drag him outside, where he stumbled over his feet.

Pulled up in front of the gallery was a carriage drawn by horses. At the door was Brian, dressed in his best suit and finest coat, holding a large bouquet of red roses.

 

Justin froze in the doorway, his hands shaking uncontrollably.

"I got him, Daddy," Gus informed his father, with a huge smile.

Brian returned the smile, catching Justin's wide eyes. With small steps, he approached Justin, taking his hand. "Happy birthday." He pecked Justin's mouth.

"Huh." Justin felt dumbstruck.

"It's after midnight."

"Uh." His eyes moved from Brian's big, honest, and full of love eyes to the carriage.

"Come with me." He gently pulled Justin to the carriage, urging him to get inside.

"What…? Where…? My show…"

"It's a surprise, Sunshine." Brian grinned, settling on the other bench, opposite Justin.