- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

It took me about an year to complete this, but here we are: the final chapter.

Good Life

Brian let himself in their condo late at night. He didn't expect to find anyone awake at the late hour, but there was music coming from Justin improvised studio. It was actually the room behind the stairs, which Brian had never found any use of it, until Justin took over. It used be some sort of storage room, though Justin turned it into a little studio for when inspiration struck him while he was at home.

Over the years, he'd moved his actual studio out of Izzy's apartment and with a good retail agent's help, he'd found an amazing open-space place only a few minutes walking distance from where Brian worked. Justin had fallen in love with the place from the first second he saw it. He had enough space to paint and to spread his art all over the vast room.

Of course, Brian had to comment against Justin's new studio, but like Justin often reminded him, it wasn't Brian who'd spend his time in there. Unless he visited with take-out food, reminding Justin to take breaks and eat something.

Brian opened the ajar door for the room Justin had turned into his studio in their condo, and fought back a smile.

Justin was bent over the desk presumingly trying to draw, but Baby Purry lay on the paper in front of him, rubbing his head against Justin's hand.

He must have made some noise to alert them of his presence, because both Justin and the cat turned to him.

"You're home! Do you have any idea how late it is?" Justin asked, pushing back from the desk.

"I want to wrap up as many projects as I can, or at least, make sure my teams won't fuck up anything, because I plan to stay as little as possible at work when Gus visits," Brian explained, walking closer to Justin. "I see Baby is giving you a hard time again."

Justin scoffed, burrowing into Brian's warm embrace. "He sat quietly on the corner of the desk, until I started shading my drawing. He didn't seem to like the way the desk shook, and kept pawing at my pencil, then simply sat on the drawing, glaring at me."

"Crazy kitty." Brian reached out to scratch behind the cat's ears.

"It was easy when he was younger. I could push him away and still finish my drawing, now it's impossible." Justin glanced at Baby Purry, who purred loudly, enjoying Brian's scratches. "I still can't believe he takes three quarters of my desk when he stretches out."

Brian laughed, picking the cat in his hands. "Our baby grew up."

"And became naughty," Justin added with a smile. "He doesn't even care he knocks over my stuff when he stretches, though, he's careful not disturb anything when he thinks I don't see him jumping on the desk."

"Should I remind you about the time we had Emmett and Drew over and he trotted on the kitchen isle, not stopping until he knocked over two glasses and sent Drew's fork flying?"

"Oh, yeah. How could I forget?" Justin snorted in laughter.

"Are you almost ready with the new Rage issue?" Brian let the cat on the floor, when he started squirming.

"Not even close. At this rate, Michael will scalp me, but I have that little monster to blame." He nodded to Baby Purry, busy licking his fur.

"You know, you can lock him out of this room? Or actually go to your studio and finish faster?"

"And get bored? He keep things interesting. Besides, the number one fan is going to come in two days. I bet, Gus will help me."

"Please, for my sanity's sake, stop saying this. My thirteen old kid already knows too much about our sex life." Brian shuddered.

Justin stroked his husband's face, smiling softly. "He doesn't know it's us."

"Uh, I hate to break it to you, Sunshine, but yes, he does. Just the other day he asked if we got a hold of Uncle Zephyr, because his moms kept calling him to know when they should ship JR to Pittsburgh."

"Uncle Zephyr?" Justin choked on his spit. "Hmm, he's one smart cookie."

Brian linked his hands at the nape of Justin's neck, his thumbs on his cheeks. "Like father, like son."

"Of course. Let's hope, Gus grows up with more common sense than you, and some modesty," Justin joked.

oOo

"That was fun, wasn't it?" Brian asked, as the three of them – himself, Justin and Gus, rushed into the nearest food place they saw when a light, autumn rain came out of nowhere.

Gus rolled his eyes, wiping at his wet bangs, plastered to his forehead, before twisting the side of his jacket. Water dripped from it.

"I had fun today, though I could have done without the rain," Gus mumbled, throwing himself in a stuffed chair.

Brian laughed, draping his wet coat on the back of his chair, sitting across from his son. "It's fall. I guess it's normal to rain."

"As long as I'm inside, safely away from the downpour, sure." Gus shrugged.

Justin took the closer seat to the window, smiling as he stared outside. "It's absolutely beautiful. I love rain. It calms me and I usually get the best ideas when it rains."

"I'm deeply wounded. I thought I was your muse," Brian joked, scooting closer to his partner. He interlaced their fingers, smiling softly.

"You're my number one muse, but the rain...there's something about this weather that's almost erotic."

"Ooookay. Did you somehow forget I'm still around here?" Gus cried out. "Oh, good!" He grinned when the waiter brought three menus.

"We didn't forget about you, but I thought you were used to being around us." Brian smirked. "Watch and learn, Sonny Boy. You have to know how to woo your admirers." Brian brought their linked hands to his lips, kissing the top of Justin's hand, before tugging him closer and kissing his lips slowly.

"I've lost my appetite. Ma is so right that you two can be downright gross."

"Don't listen to Melanie. She doesn't know what to do with romance if it punched her in the face," Brian muttered.

"And you do?" Justin chuckled. "You just don't like Mel because she's so much like you."

"Hey! Who still surprises you with flowers and candy? See if I ever do it again!" Brian huffed mockingly.

Justin smiled sweetly, leaning toward Gus. "He's a hopeless romantic, but shh. Don't let him know."

Gus actually laughed at his dad's horrified look, at being disclosed. He laughed louder when Brian whacked Justin on the arm with the menu.

"The truth hurts, honey." Justin winked.

"Fuck you, honey," he said bitterly.

Gus opened his menu, humming. "Have you guys eaten here before?"

"Never," Brian said at the same time as Justin answered, "Many times." They stared at each other curiously, making Gus laugh again.

"I don't remember ever dining in Brooklyn, Justin."

"That's because I didn't eat here with you. This is the place where I used to meet with Ethan before he left on that tour to Europe."

"I see."

"I recommend the tomato soup," Justin told Gus with a wink. "The croutons are to die for."

"That's what I want then." Gus nodded.

"Did you have any pasta here?" Brian asked too harshly, but he was upset that he'd been caught off guard. And even though he accepted Justin's platonic friendship with Ethan, he wasn't a fan. Especially when Justin used to hurriedly call over his shoulder he was headed out to meet with Ethan right before the front door slammed shut behind him. Thankfully, Brian had managed to forget about the fiddler's existence since he'd gone to Europe a couple years back.

"They're decent. Ethan used to get all types of pasta," Justin answered distractedly. "I want the vegetables stir-up and chicken breast," he decided, flipping the pages to find the drinks.

Brian skipped the pasta dishes, even though he really wanted to try the one with gorgonzola, but it made him sick that Ian had liked them. It was irrational to still hold a grudge against the man, but he'd rather avoid thinking and talking about him if he could. Justin was a lot more understanding and tolerating toward Evan when they ran into him, but that was Justin's way – he was simply a nicer person.

"I'll take the baked potatoes and lamb ribs," Brian said after inspecting the menu thoroughly.

Justin looked up sharply, stopping mid-advising Gus to try the apple juice. "What about the pasta? You always sample pasta dishes whenever we go to new restaurants."

"I want the lamb ribs."

Justin let it slide, knowing it wasn't wise to pick an argument with Brian about something that was water under the bridge.

With their food ordered and their drinks of choice in front of them, Brian decided to coax details about his son's plans for high school.

"So you're in the last year of elementary school."

Gus groaned loudly. "Oh please! Don't start the college talk like Mom."

"College? Whatever happened to high school?" Justin interjected, laughing.

Gus looked between his dads suspiciously. "Whatever you're planning to say, forget it. I want to stay in Toronto for high school."

"That's amazing! I wanted to suggest the same thing." Brian sighed in relief. "As for college, there are plenty of options here."

"Dad, I don't even know what I like to do. One thing is sure: I want to come to the States for college."

"That sounds excellent, Sonny Boy."

Justin sipped from his beer. "How can you not know what you like? I knew I wanted to paint since I was like three."

"We're not all born geniuses, Sunshine. I figured only in college what I wanted to become. So it's all right, Sonny Boy. Take your time."

"We don't always become what we wanted when we were little, Justin. Most kids want to be doctors or firefighters – they don't end up doing that. Besides, I wanted to become an astronaut, remember?"

"So what's stopping you?" Justin shrugged. "If it's what you want, I'm sure everyone will support you." He caught Brian's eyes to check if it was okay to say that to his son.

"Justin's right. We might be worried sick for your safety, but whatever you want to become, I'll be your fervent supporter."

"Unless I become a mass murderer," Gus quipped, giggling.

"Well, I'll be disappointed then, but…"

"I think you should stop there." Justin covered Brian's hand on the table, then looked at Gus. "I'm sure you will never turn violent, so mass murderer falls from your dream jobs."

"Bummer. I couldn't wait to turn legal so to buy my first AK47." Gus tried to keep a serious face.

"I fucking told Mel buying you a toy machine gun would ruin you." Brian shook his head, fighting off a smile.

After a few minutes of silence in which their food arrived, Gus grinned at his dads. "I really like flying. If the astronaut thing fails – I have a feeling my moms won't be as supportive as you two – there's always pilot."

"You still have one more year of elementary school and four of high school before you have to choose," Justin said softly. "Take your time, ponder your options. Besides, if you don't like what you choose, there's never too late for a career change."

"Really? Isn't it hard to start from the beginning? To learn something new at a more...advanced age?"

"It's never too late, kiddo," Brian said seriously. "Look, I didn't exactly change my job, but I started from scratch at thirty, building Kinnetik, then three years later, I opened the branch here, five years later, I opened the branch in Los Angeles, then only two years after that, I opened one in Chicago, and I plan on expanding to Texas, as well. So it's never too late."

"Or look at your Uncle Emmett. He worked at a clothes store on Liberty since he came to the city, then briefly collaborated with Uncle Ted on his new shady business, before he found his true vocation. He's a kick-ass party planner. Heck, even my Mom's boyfriend...he used to teach at Molly's school when they met, but after a few years, he opened his mechanic reparations store for bikes – his true passion."

"Let me call Mother Taylor and let her know you gave her boy toy as a good example," Brian exclaimed, making a show of pulling his phone out.

"Oh, please. He's not that bad." Justin looked away. "His only problem is that he's a few years younger than my own boyfriend, and that's creepy as fuck."

Gus patted Justin's arm, grinning. "I like that you're sort of closer to my age. You get some things better than Dad."

"That didn't make me feel ancient at all, Sonny Boy. Nope. Not one bit." Brian shook his head.

"Besides, Jus is a cool dad. He and Uncle Mike write a comic book."

"And I run the second biggest advertising company in the States!" Brian said loudly. "Of course, that's not impressive at all."

"We don't get American commercials or ad boards so much, though Rage is a hit." Gus winked. "Some of my very straight friends love it. When I slipped, totally by accident, that I know the creators, they always ask for teasers."

"You're a celebrity among the pre-teens, Sunshine!"

"And you're a hit between the geezers! Remember that old dude who stopped you at the last party we attended? He was pleased to have found a real advertisement that stayed true to its word. Now his nights aren't interrupted by trips to the toilet thanks to the prostate pill you promoted."

Brian looked scandalized, nearly choking on his bite of lamb. Gus was convulsing in laughter at his dads' antics.

"Just wait until you need a prostate massage. I won't give you one," Brian huffed.

"I think you'll need one before me," Justin said sweetly. "Ouch! Brian!" He cried out when Brian stepped on his foot under the table.

"I never have so much fun when we eat dinner at home. Moms are all about being polite and minding what we speak at the table," Gus told them, wiping tears from laughing so hard.

"Yeah, well. Never a quiet moment around us." Brian resumed eating, ignoring Justin.

"So, how's the new issue going?" Gus asked Justin curiously.

"It's not. That insane cat is in my way all the time."

"Oh, Purry! I almost forgot about him."

"I don't know why he's hiding from you," Justin said sincerely.

"Maybe he remembers they way Gus used to handle him when he was younger?" Brian prompted. "I'll give you a hint. If you feed him and stroke behind his ears, he'll be your bestie."

"I'll try that when we get home." Gus looked out the window. "If the rain stops."

"We can take a cab home. I'd rather not take the train with all the bags we have," Brian said, glancing the many shopping bags sitting beside their chairs.

oOo

At home, they were greeted by Baby Purry curled on the small table by the front door.

Gus promptly dropped his bags and tired the trick his dad had told him. A few scratches later, the cat was purring and rubbing closer to him.

"Let's put these away, then you can look over what I penciled out on the new Rage issue." Justin urged Gus to separate from the cat.

Baby Purry followed them into Gus's room, jumping on the bed, while they put away his new clothes. When Justin and Gus locked themselves in the studio, the cat wandered away in search of her favorite human. He found him on the couch.

Brian downed his glass of whiskey, patting his lap. The cat jumped there, curling up.

"It's just us. They won't resurface for hours. What trouble do you think we can get in?" Brian stroked his fingers through the silky black fur. He was rewarded with a loud snore. "You have to be kidding me. How much do you sleep?" He tugged gently at the cat's tail, making it twitch. "Whatever. You're right. It's nap time." He lowered on the sofa, closing his eyes.

Later that night, when Gus and Justin emerged from his studio after a few productive hours, Gus put a finger to his lips, pointing to the couch.

Justin smiled at the sight. "Go to your room. I'll wake him and head to bed too."

"Night, Jus."

"Night, Gus." Justin kissed the top of Gus's head.

With the kid out of view, he filled the cat's bowls of food and water, then approached the sofa.

Baby Purry twitched his ears, cracking his eyes open when he sensed his Yellow human around. He stretched, yawning, before curling better on his human's lap.

"Time to move, Baby. Aren't you hungry? You have a fresh bowl of tuna there." Justin scratched behind his ears. "Come on. Then you can go sleep with Gus." He gently patted the cat's behind, until Baby Purry jumped off Brian, trotting to his food, rubbing against all pieces of furniture on the way and mewling loudly.

Justin leaned closer to Brian, touching his cheek. He kissed the corner of his mouth. "Hey, let's go to bed."

"Mhmm..ngnnn…"

"Come on. You're not comfortable here." Justin clutched Brian's hand, pulling at it softly.

"Where's Baby?" Brian slurred, rubbing at his eyes.

"I sent him off to eat something. We've left him on his own too much lately."

"Fuck, why would you send him away? My dick is freezing now."

Justin laughed, touching Brian's still warm dick though the denim. "I promise to warm it with my mouth if you join me upstairs."

"All I wanted was a glass of water. I'd rather die of dehydration than hear that ever again," Gus said horrified from the bottom of the stairs.

"Shit, Gus. Sorry." Justin turned red.

Brian battled Justin's hand away, rising and stretching, much like the cat had done earlier. "Help him with the water. I'll get comfortable upstairs."

"I'll strangle you if I find you asleep," Justin threatened lightly.

"Lucky for you, I'm into suffocation."

"I'll need therapy after this week is over," Gus mumbled, shuffling to the fridge. "I can find the water just fine. Go to Dad."

"Sorry," Justin repeated, disappearing the way Brian had gone. "That was so embarrassing!" He cried out when the closed the door behind him.

"It was nothing. He didn't catch you with my dick in your mouth. Stop being a drama princess." Brian undressed, laying on the bed. "Now come closer. You promised to warm my dick with your mouth."

"Shh. Can you drop your voice? We don't want Gus to hear you."

"I can hear you guys just fine! Give me a minute to find the hard rock playlist and stuff the earbuds in my ears...like all the previous nights!" Gus called out from his room.

Justin hid his face in his hands, mumbling about how embarrassing the whole thing was.

"DONE!" Gus shouted two minutes later. "You can fuck now."

Brian burst out laughing, making Justin whack him with the pillow.

"It's not funny!"

"It is, actually."

"Okay, it is." Justin joined in the laughter, before shimmying down Brian's body until he reached his erection. He licked it slowly. "Mhmm...tastes so good."

"Fucking suck me today. I haven't had you in almost twenty hours. That's unacceptable."

Brian was as vocal as ever when Justin went down on him, and it seemed the earbuds or loud music couldn't prevent Gus from hearing them.

"Guuuys! I want earplugs for my birthday! And a soundproof room!"

His sudden interruption made Justin gag and pull away. "That's it. I can't...not knowing he can hear."

"You have to be kidding me! I was right there!"

"I can't."

Brian scoffed, rolling Justin around, pressing his face into the pillow. He stuck two saliva coated fingers into his partner. "Don't fucking resist. Think of my dick. Think of how good it makes you feel. You can scream into the pillow." Not waiting for further protests from Justin, Brian slid into him. He idly wondered if it would ever become everything he feared – monotone, repetitive, dull. So far, it got better every time they fucked. Especially since they'd become exclusive and dropped the condoms.

Life had never been better.

Chapter End Notes:

I want to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who stuck with me for so long. Many have bashed this story because it has a very sensitive subject where Brian cheats on Justin, and they didn't agree with this or the fact that Justin has forgiven Brian. Other voiced their concerns in a nicer way and kept reading, for which I'm grateful.

In the very beginning, I was close to deleting the whole thing. I was super excited to share this story which I was inspired to write after reading the books written pre-tv show. Then some people had to point fingers that I copied the story after some other writer (I hope those realized my story is nothing like the only other one inspired by the books...if they stuck around enough to finish the story). This is the reason some people who read fanfiction can be really mean. If they read a book they didn't agree with or had bad things to say against the way the author thought the plot, they wouldn't have the guts to write them personally, so these people (usually not leaving a signed review) leave the worst reviews, which, unbeknownst to them affect us writers a great deal. One bad review has a greater impact than ten wonderful reviews.

I had to say these words here, hoping some of those who badmouthed my story are still lurking and reading this.

On a happier note, stay tuned for more stories soon.

The End.
addict_writer is the author of 64 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 14 members. Members who liked New York State of Mind also liked 798 other stories.