- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

A little fluff after the serious last chapter.

Sunshine's Crap

On Saturday morning, Justin was brutally woken up by the buzzing of the intercom.

He stumbled bleary-eyed to the device, pushing the button without even asking who it was. Judging by the low sun, it was too early to be considered decent time to wake-up. He'd been working his ass off at Raging Bull, staying longer and longer each night, and without fail, each night, turning down Evan's advances.

Izzy thought it was funny how the older man was so taken with Justin. He made a point to gag, and tell her twelve years was his ultimate age-different he could tolerate. Evan definitely didn't fall in that category, he was well over forty, not thirty-nine as he'd proclaimed when they first met.

The doorbell buzzed as Justin was about to make his way to his bed, sure it was a mistake.

He pulled the door open and found two guys in UPS jackets.

"Justin Taylor?" The shorter man asked.

"Yeah?"

The other man shoved a pad in front of him. "Here. Sign for the delivery."

"Delivery? I didn't order anything." It took him a moment to realize it must be his stuff. "Ah, right. Sorry, I just woke up." He shook his head to clear it, signing his name on the dotted line.

He stepped aside, allowing the men to bring in his paintings, along with two large boxes. Brian had written on one FRAGILE, and on the other SUNSHINE'S CRAP. Justin couldn't help but laugh, only imagining what the delivery people thought of the box.

It took a few rides up and down the stairs for the UPS guys to get everything from the truck. When the already cramped living room was even more cramped with his stuff, he gave them a ten dollar bill, thanking them.

An hour later, Izzy found him in the middle of the living room, sorting through his paintings. "Whoa! When did our place turn into a museum?"

"I totally forgot Brian was sending my things. Stupid, I know. Watch your step," he warned.

She tiptoed around his paintings, grabbing the pot of coffee, before walking to her favorite spot, and slumping on the beanbag. "You're awesome, you know that?"

"What did I do?" Justin stacked another abstract painting on top of the others.

"Your paintings! I haven't seen such good stuff in ages, Justin."

He could feel his cheeks warming. "Stop," he mumbled.

"Aww! Learn to take a compliment. You're fucking fantastic."

"Thanks." Justin grinned, pulling closer the FRAGILE box. He found his computer in there, and smiled melancholically. That computer had helped him so much, being one of the first objects that proved to him Brian loved him.

Next, he opened the SUNSHINE'S CRAP box, and squealed at seeing his red sweater. He plucked it up, squeezing it to his chest.

"You're pathetic, you know that? He sent you a piece of his clothing and you go all lesbian on it."

"This is mine. Brian wouldn't be caught dead in thrift store shit. It was love at first sight. I have a long relationship with this sweater."

"Okay, you're batshit crazy."

Justin returned to inspecting the contents of the box, coming upon a few personal items, and to his surprise, he found Brian's cowry shells bracelet. There was a note pinned to it.

So you won't miss me too much.

Justin immediately fastened the bracelet to his wrist, grinning like a fool. He ignored Izzy's curious looks.

There was also a new dress shirt, still in the box, two ties, and a bottle of Hugo Boss cologne.

"Damn, Brian," he muttered, hating that Brian was spending money on him.

When he thought he'd reached the bottom of the box, he came over an envelope, containing something rectangular and hard.

It better not be…Justin thought sourly.

With shaky fingers he pulled out a black AmEx. Another note was next to it.

I don't want to hear it. Use it whenever you are tight (for once, that's not a sexual joke)

Justin took everything to his small room, before lounging on the bed, flipping the card between his index and middle finger. The more he repeated the motion, the angrier he got.

With his blood boiling, he grabbed his phone and called Brian. The call connected after the first ring and a half.

"I hate you," Justin barked, then hung up, before Brian could say anything else.

Thirty-five seconds later, his phone buzzed on his stomach where he'd deposited it. He accepted the call, not saying anything. After listening to Brian's even breathing for too many seconds, he was about to hang up, realizing the asshole wanted him to apologize.

"I love you too," Brian said softly.

Justin inhaled sharply, not expecting that confession.

"What did I do now for you to hate me, twat?"

"You dropped your black AmEx in my Crap box by mistake. Don't worry. I'll send it back as soon as possible."

"That's for you. Remember where you live? No one can survive in New York on a bartender salary."

"The tips are awesome."

"Consider the AmEx a mutual gift—for both of us. I'll want you to get me clothes from there. Obviously, you won't have the money."

"I see you've thought of everything. You knew I was going to argue with you on this!" Justin huffed, stifling a laugh.

"I'm always a step ahead of you, Sunshine."

Justin smiled. "Thank you—for the bracelet, I mean. I know it means a lot to you."

"It's only fair for you to have something of mine, since I have something of yours."

"What do you have of mine? And don't say my heart, or I'm going to demand the aliens to bring my boyfriend back!"

He chuckled. "Wouldn't you like to know? That's for me to know, and for you…to never know."

Justin frowned, his mind raking with possibilities. Maybe Brian was talking about one of his paintings? Or maybe the rings? Or maybe he'd stolen something when Justin wasn't paying attention.

"Stop trying to figure out what. You never will know. Now, tell me about your job."

"The job is great. I really like what I'm doing. The problem is I got a stalker."

"No way! You must be wary of them. Some stick around and never leave, real pests."

"Brian, I'm not joking! He's some creepy old dude."

"How old," Brian concurred, pushing his tongue in his cheek.

"Too old. Much older than you. Like I told Izzy earlier, twelve year is my utmost age difference. I can't deal with more."

"Lucky me, I fall under your category."

Justin giggled, sighing longingly. "I miss you."

"None of that nostalgic drama, Sunshine."

"Right. Too lesbianic for you."

"It's true."

"So how's everyone?"

"Hmm…let's see. Mikey is swamped in inventory at Red Cape at the moment, and because I was dropped on the head as a baby, I offered to help. I should be on my way there as we speak, but you know me, fashionably late. Anyway, what else?" There was brief pause, in which Brian gathered his thoughts. "Theodore is in for a raise, but don't tell him that. He's had this genius idea for a new accountant and I'm totally using it. Oh, Emmy-Lou found another sorry specimen that wants your impossible flowers for their wedding."

Justin grinned, remembering how outraged his friend had been when Justin told him about his most desired flowers, which only grew in China. "Golden Gardenias."

"Yeah, those," Brian confirmed. "Deb's lamenting about missing her favorite bus-boy, but truly she's fishing for info about you, which I'm not giving easily."

"Why not? Tell them, Bri. I'm doing fine. Better than fine, since I have a Sugar Daddy. He recently gave me a black AmEx."

"You don't wanna go there, Sunshine. We tried playing the Daddy card once."

"I am still freaked for life. I promise to never beg you to take me to Meathook."

"Who's my good little boy?" Brian cooed.

"I'm hanging up, freak!"

"Don't be like that. I thought it was funny."

"You need to research the definition of the word fun."

"Shit. I have another call. Mikey's gonna have my ass," Brian muttered.

"Tell him I'll be very upset if he goes anywhere near your ass. I'm the only one allowed to touch it."

"Will do. Later, Justin."

"Later."

Chapter End Notes:

I will let you guess what Brian has of Justin's...I bet you all know what I'm referring to.