- Text Size +

 

 

Is It Love?

"I have to admit he's quite a catch," Evan commented, keeping his eyes on Justin as he filled drinks and charmed the patrons with his smile.

Brian smirked, drinking from his beer. "I hear you gave him trouble."

"You can't blame me for trying with a hot young thing like him."

"He's... He could be your grandson, Evan! And I'd appreciate it if you stopped hitting on him." Brian watched his boyfriend fondly. "But I was hoping we could talk about business, instead of Justin."

"Advertising is so boring in comparison with your fiance." Evan smirked when Brian's wide eyes met him. "What? Did I get it wrong? Justin told me numerous times he was engaged. Of course, I didn't believe a thing. I never saw the mysterious guy."

"Well, here I am. How's Magnetic Steele working?"

"You know about my company?" Evan watched Brian surprised. "Don't tell me, you kept tabs on me, Kinney."

"Don't flatter yourself." He glanced toward the bar, to make sure Justin was there and not coming to them, then leaned closer. "I plan on branching out. I had to look at the competition. Don't go telling Justin. It's still a thought of mine."

"Kinney Tick, right?"

"It's Kinnetik. Justin came up with the name," Brian said proudly. "And who's keeping tabs on who, Evan?"

"We're both on the East Coast. I hear you're up to win the best new ad company award."

"I have the best accounts. And the best teams. The best people."

"You've changed," Evan noted. "You were cocky back then, but it multiplied."

Brian grinned, downing his beer. "I learned from the best."

He barely managed to place the bottle back on the table when Justin appeared at his side with a fresh one. Brian watched him surprised.

"You can't accuse me of not being a good bartender." He handed Brian his fresh beer, taking the empty bottle. "Another?" He asked Evan, barely sparing him a look.

"Bring me a beer too—at draft."

Brian caught Justin's wrist. He could feel Justin's hand shaking. "Are you alone tonight? Managing the whole bar?"

"There are the other guys too." He pointed them out. "But I'm alone behind the bar."

"Maybe you should take a break," Brian said sternly, rubbing his thumb to Justin's palm. "You're all tense."

"I'm fine, Brian." He snatched his hand away, stomping in the bar's direction.

"Quite the hellcat you got there," Evan joked. He noticed Brian didn't even smile, keeping his worried eyes on Justin. "He said he's fine. He's young. He can do it."

Brian gritted his teeth when Justin returned to their table with Evan's beer. When he placed the tall glass in front of Evan his hand shook violently, nearly spilling the contents on Evan's lap.

"Fuck," Justin spat.

"You were saying?" Brian pointed out, tugging him to sit next to him.

"I can't! I have—"

Brian signaled for one of the waiters. "Do you mind taking over Justin's job for a few minutes?"

"It's not really my job, sir," the man answered shakily.

"Brian, I said I'm fine. I'm just tired. Table ten still needs a refill, Tom," Justin told the other guy, pulling him to the bar.

"Stubborn twat," Brian muttered.

Evan had no idea what was going on, but he knew one thing. Brian Kinney was smitten with the blond angel.

"You always got attached to people you have sex with, but this time seems like you found trouble."

Brian looked sharply at Evan. "You don't know shit about me!"

"So you mean to say that you weren't falling for me? I remember the way you looked at me. I remember how devastated you were when I left."

"Yeah, I got over it. That experience toughened me up. It made me realize love and relationships are bullshit. That is, until I met that twat."

"Is that his pet name?" Evan laughed.

"I don't do pet names."

"So how long?"

"How long, what?" Brian kept his eyes on Justin. He had a few moments to himself, and Brian noticed how he cradled his right hand to his chest, wincing.

"How long have you been dating?" Evan clarified.

Brian snorted. "We never dated. It's true, we went out a couple of times, but it was for business purposes, to sample a few restaurants before accepting their offer. In the beginning it was just fucking, on my side, at least. Then he was dumped on my head, and I couldn't get rid of the little shit. He managed to worm his way into my life and heart. It wasn't until a few months ago that I admitted to him how I feel."

"Wait. This has been going on for years?" Evan watched his friend with surprise.

"About five years, give or take," Brian answered absently, still staring at Justin.

Evan looked between Brian and Justin, noticing the blond boy was smiling at Brian, while rubbing his hand. It was clear as daylight, but he couldn't believe it.

"You want to say that you love him?"

"Very much," Brian answered truthfully. "Listen, do you happen to have the owner's number? I can't stand around and watch this. Someone has to take over his shift."

"Oliver and I are good buddies," Evan said, pulling his phone out. He told Brian the number, watching him curiously as he went outside to make the call.

His friend truly had it bad for the blond boy. It was clear they had history, but seeing Brian, brought back too many memories for Evan. He'd pretended not to be affected back in the day when he left Pittsburgh. The only one he ever missed was Brian.

Years after his departure, he wanted to make Brian a proposition to come work for him again, but then he heard of Brian being successful at Ryder's company. Coming to work for Evan wouldn't have been an option, and Evan's company wasn't big enough to bring Brian as a partner. As time passed, Evan didn't hear much about Brian's whereabouts in the advertising world, until last year. Everyone talked about this new agency in Pittsburgh climbing higher than any other before, and having some pretty big accounts as clients. He'd known it was Brian before he read about it.

And now hearing he wanted to branch out, hope rose yet again. Maybe whatever Brian had with Justin wasn't a fling, but he'd be damned if he didn't have him back in his bed at some point.

oOo

Justin tried to push the jealousy away, but he didn't like the easy-going feeling between Brian and Evan. They'd been chatting and smiling for the best part of the evening.

Brian was right about his hand, but Justin had a job. He was alone behind the bar, what with Luke having a much earned holiday.

When he noticed Brian and Evan exchanging numbers, his stomach sank.

I trust Brian, he kept repeating to himself. Brian would never hurt me like that. Unless he's the revengeful kind, to pay me back for Ethan. No. He wouldn't do it.

His phone buzzing in his pocket distracted him from his crazy thoughts. For a second, Justin thought amused that it was Brian, but then he saw Oliver was calling him.

Sticking a finger in his left ear, Justin accepted the call, pressing the phone to his right ear. "Hi, boss!"

"Tell Tom to take over your shift. I need my favorite bartender safe."

Justin glared toward Brian, who was taking his seat next to Evan, looking like the cat who swallowed the canary. "Oh, what makes you think I'm not okay?" Justin asked carefully.

"Your worried boyfriend just called me. Besides, he's visiting. He won't be here forever. Go and have fun. Relax. I don't want you back until Tuesday."

"Oliver," he tried protesting.

"Justin, I'm giving you two days off. Enjoy the free time."

"Okay, uh...thanks."

Hanging up, Justin summoned Tom, explaining that Oliver upgraded him to bartender for the night. He warned the guy to not fuck up and to lock three times when he left.

Gathering his things, Justin went to Brian's table. He caught the end of their conversation.

"...my pleasure, Evan. Keep me posted. Sounds like the deal of the century."

"I needed some serious competition around here." Evan patted Brian's shoulder.

"Count me in. This has been my dream since...for-fucking-ever." Brian stood, shrugging into his jacket. "Ready to go, Sunshine?"

"I fucking hate you," Justin muttered without any ire.

Brian pulled him closer, smothering his hair, before rearranging his scarf. "I love you too." He kissed him softly. Before leaving, he handed a stunned Evan his business card. "Give me a call about that convention."

Slinging an arm over Justin's shoulders, Brian steered him to the door.

Justin glanced back to find Evan gaping after him. Unsure what determined him to do it, he showed him the finger behind Brian's back, grinning.

Take this, you jackass. Brian's mine.

Outside was drizzling, and they both tugged their jacket collars up.

"You were saying something about a hotel?" Justin inquired.

"One track mind, much?" Brian laughed, stepping into the street, waving his hand at passing cabs.

Justin knew it would be a while until he found one, so he lit himself a cigarette. His hand shook worse than earlier, making him curse. That grabbed Brian's attention, and he gave up trying to hail a cab.

"Give me your hand."

"No."

"Now." He snatched the shaky hand from Justin's pocket. "Christ, Justin. You're making me rethink this whole thing about you being smart enough to be on your own here."

"I guess I'm tired. I was busy to finish my paintings, then there was the exhibition with all the fretting, we didn't sleep much, you dragged me shopping, the bar has been so full tonight..."

"How much time off did the boss give you?"

"A couple of days. I still can't believe you called Oliver."

"I couldn't stand there and watch you hurting yourself." Brian stroked a few blond fringes from Justin's forehead, before leaning to kiss the spot. His lips then kissed a little to the right, brushing over the spot that brought so many horrible memories. He was grateful Justin kept his hair longer, so he wouldn't see the still elevated cut from the surgery.

"I'm okay, Brian," Justin whispered, knowing where his boyfriend's thoughts had traveled. "Let me get us a cab." He placed the smoke between Brian's lips, heading toward the street.

Chapter End Notes:

All I'm saying....this is just the beginning. Though, things will get better, after they get worse, of course.