- Text Size +

Craig stood outside the door of his Ad man's office, listening to the conversation therein. Kip Thomas ranted about Brian Kinney and the surprise of finding Justin Taylor with him. Gardner Vance was silent until feeling the need to ask pertinent questions, filling in blanks for Craig along the way as well.


 


"I always wondered before I fired Brian and then asked him back-before he started the company- what his connection to Justin Taylor was, Kip. He never said but I suspect you know, don't you?" Gardner's voice was as smooth and cultured as it had always been despite his penchant for hard liquor. "Now you tell me they're partners. From the last investigation I did about the company, he doesn't have a partner and therefore we have no way in."


 "They aren't business partners or if they are I can't see it. Although, Justin Taylor is an amazing artist, I can't see that he would willingly work for someone else even with an equal stake in the company. He and Brian are "all or nothing" type of people and pride themselves on their independence; a fact I'm sure you're well aware of. To answer your question, Gardner: The one thing I learned from Brian Kinney was to research a situation completely so that you don't go in blind. I didn't do it beforehand because I didn't see the need but on the way back here I did. The reason why he never talked about the situation with you was because he probably felt it wasn't important enough to divulge it or more likely, it had no bearing on retaining his position." He took a deep breath before detailing the entire situation for Gardner, leaving out his own history with Brian and Justin- that would have looked bad- but describing their entire relationship as he knew it from his source of information. Their story was well known within the circles Kip frequented although no one in the office knew he was gay himself. He knew some his more important clients wouldn't handle him being a homosexual with equanimity. With the new developments regarding Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor, that particular news would jeopardize everything he'd been working toward his whole career. "Apparently, although Justin is a success all his own, with Brian his work takes on a new dimension and vice versa. Together they're unstoppable and untouchable."


 


Gardner listened and nodded. Their relationship, even before he merged with Ryder Advertising, was always a mystery. He'd always wondered why Brian was exceptionally hard on young Justin Taylor, criticizing his work mercilessly and unapologetically. He'd pushed so much that even Gardner had to tell him to lighten up a few times but Justin always rose to the occasion, surpassing even Brian's high expectations in the end. He remembered one meeting with former Chief Stockwell in particular. It was late on the night of a rally at the Gay and Lesbian Center, where Stockwell had been verbally backed into a corner to explain the cold cases involving victims within Pittsburgh's LGBT community. Stockwell had blamed Brian for knowing exactly what was going to happen beforehand. When they arrived at Brian's loft seeking answers, they found Brian and Justin naked and obviously just up from having sexual relations. More importantly, there had been scattered posters which littered the glamorous space-the same ones found all over the city-and the artist who had created them lying unabashedly on a plush pallet watching the mostly silent exchange between the other three occupants. Brian equally unashamed asked Stockwell, 'What's the matter, Jim. Never seen two guys fucking before?' The following day when he asked Brian why he did it, he simply informed Gardner that he wouldn't understand because he wasn't gay. Gardner had fired him because of it. In retrospect, Gardner would have still fired him but it would have explained why he would take such a risk to begin with. Hearing the story of Justin Taylor's bashing and the lack of justice, even Gardner could understand the need for revenge in such a situation. He secretly admired Brian more than he already did because of his willingness to mete his own special brand of justice directly with those who failed to administer it in the first place. In a ballsy move, Brian Kinney gambled big, lost enormously but won it all back and then some.


 


"What do you want me to do now, Gardner?" Kip asked. "I will tell you this, the place is a veritable fortress and Kinney's security is top notch. If he doesn't want you to know something, you won't learn it."


"Let me think on it," he replied. "The latest account up for grabs is a million dollar account for a clothing line out of Rochester, New York. Sharlene Brent and her partner, Bethany Chambers have meetings set up with us and Kinnetik. They are looking to go global now that their success has been well-documented in the U.S., Canada and certain parts of South America. If you don't land this account...well I don't think I have to say what will happen, do I? You have three weeks." Gardner rose out of his seat and headed for the door noting Kip's hard swallow.


 


By the time, Vance reached the door, Craig Taylor was heading for the door leaving Vanguard, an idea taking shape in a small corner of his mind.


 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Melanie couldn't believe what she was reading. Lindsey was seeking a divorce? After all the work they had done over the years in Pittsburgh for the Marriage Initiativewhich was for marriage equality, she wanted to divorce? The claim cited "Irreconcilable Differences" but that wasn't completely true. She was willing and hoping for reconciliation; Lindsey was unwilling. She could just give Lindsey the no-contest divorce but she wasn't in the mood to play nice. The document detailed all the reasons why Lindsey wanted the divorce; listed each and every fault Lindsey found with Melanie including the violation of trust in reference to the fifteen thousand dollars. She knew who had put Lindsey up to filing for divorce...Brian. Lindsey would have never thought to do it on her own. In addition to that she worked for Justin's company so the fact that Lindsey filed for divorce had Brian Kinney written all over it.


As an attorney, she decided to come up with a counter suit of her own, including Lindsey's infidelity with Sam Auerbach many years before. She requested the money from her grandfather's inheritance she used fifteen years ago which allowed Lindsey to stay home with Brian's spawn. Lindsey had also had the audacity to file for visitation rights for J.R. For her daughter? NO! She also asked that Lindsey pay alimony since she left the marriage and home. She visited Marty Rabinowitz, her former partner, to file the papers and asked him to represent her. She was familiar with William Eldridge and although she could represent herself, it was always better not to in court. She was not going to make this easy on Lindsey. She wasn't going to make it easy on anyone.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


"You know if you keep pacing and wearing out that section of the room, you're bound to fall through the fucking floor. I'm not catching you."


"Fuck you, Brian," Justin said.


"Later," Brian responded. "But look...your pacing isn't going to make anything go faster so sit the fuck down already."


Justin flung himself in the seat next to Brian. First they had to get her pressure down so they could run tests. Then based on the test results, they had to perform emergency surgery on Daphne yet no one would tell him what it was for. They only told him that if they didn't do it immediately, she could die. They were informed when she was moved to recovery but still no one would tell them what the situation was. Apparently that was at Daphne's request or so they were told. Justin instinctively knew that whatever it was would change her life but he couldn't say if it would be better... or worse. He leaned his head on Brian's shoulder needing the connection more than ever.


"I don't know what it is, Brian, but I know it's not good."


"Come on, Sunshine, it's my job to be cynical not yours. You wouldn't want to put me out of business by doing my job, would you?" Brian was relieved when he'd heard the small chuckle from Justin. He was just as worried as Justin was and he had the same sense of foreboding but Brian liked to live in the solution. If there was some way to fix what was hurting Daphne, he would.


"Dr. Bradley." Justin jumped up as the chief of surgery walked briskly towards them. "How is she? When can we see her? What was wrong with her? And please don't tell me that you can't tell me because I will personally hurt you if those words pass your lips again." Brian was by his side instantly, holding his left hand knowing Justin meant every single word.


Dr. Troy Bradley for his part, stayed calm understanding exactly what Justin was feeling. He'd felt the same way seeing Daphne wheeled in. In the relatively short time he'd known her, he considered her a true friend and a light in his life, especially considering the nature of their jobs. He looked at Justin and the man with him and immediately understood why they were friends with Daphne. He pulled them to the side, speaking low. "It's against the law for me to be telling you both this so, I need your word that you will keep this in confidence. I recognize love when I see it but still it's Daphne's business, even though you are listed as her go-to, Justin. But make no mistake, I care about her just as much as the two of you and if this..."


"You have it," both Brian and Justin answered immediately and without hesitation.


Dr. Bradley looked at them assessing every part of their concern. Satisfied with what he saw, he spoke softly. "She suffered from preclampsia-one of the most severe cases I'd ever seen."


"What the fuck is that?" Brian asked.


"Preclampsia is a condition in which a pregnant woman develops extremely high blood pressure and dizziness amongst other symptoms. It can be potentially dangerous- even fatal in some cases but thankfully not hers- to both the mother and fetus. The encouraging news is that although she passed out, there wasn't an interruption in brain activity which would have been a seizure and she didn't have a stroke. We'll still have to keep a watch on her to make sure she didn't develop any blood clots."


"But Daphne isn't pregnant. She would have told me, Dr.Bradley," Justin said.


"She isn't...anymore. She was a little shy of six months pregnant and we had to take both babies. They did not survive and if we didn't she wouldn't have either. For someone Daphne's age there was no way she should have had a blood pressure well over the standard to be considered high. I'm only telling you this because she is going to need your- our -support more than ever now. She still hasn't woken up yet and I'm not sure if she knew or not. It's possible she didn't because when we drained the urine from her bladder, there was protein in the urine but the HCG hormone indicating pregnancy wasn't present. It wasn't until we took her blood that elevated levels of the hormone showed up."


"So how will this affect everything else?" Justin asked.


Troy nodded understanding that they were asking if she would be able to ever have children. "We really won't know everything else we need to until she heals. In the meantime, I'm not leaving the hospital until she does so I'll be here even throughout the night. My advice is that when you see her, you let her tell you what she wants you to know. You two know her better than anyone. As bubbly as her personality is, she can get angry and hold a grudge better than anyone I've ever met. In the meantime, go and get yourselves something to eat, get some rest- do something other than stay in this hospital and wear out the floor." He gave a meaningful look to Justin who had the good grace to look down.


"I'm not leaving," he said stubbornly.


"Yes, you are," Brian said, equally stubborn. "Unless you want to end up in a bed next to her, you're going to do what the good doctor says." He turned to Troy, "You will call us the minute she wakes up, right? Or if there are any further complications? Nothing better happen to her and we not know. Are we clear?" He stared at Dr. Bradley steadily- not blinking or batting an eyelash. If anything happened to Daphne Chanders there would be hell to pay.


Troy smiled slightly. He liked them...a lot. "You have my word. I've also picked the only nurses I trust to tend her. The reason this has to remain confidential is not only due to federal HIPAA laws but because of Daphne's position. Honestly, she is one of the best trauma surgeons I've ever seen. Smart, witty and completely driven to be the best in her career. In the short time she's been here, some of the other surgeons have become a bit...intimidated by her knowledge. It shouldn't be the way it is but that's the real of it. If word got out about what's really been happening with her, it could jeopardize what she's really working toward. Narcissistic surgeons are like vultures to a dead carcass. They enjoy waiting for others to fall so they can usurp the position and claim the top spot."


"And that is?" Brian asked. He'd always known Daphne was ambitious but at the risk of her health?


"My job," Troy said simply. "It would intimidate lesser men- and it does-but not me. I don't mind the competition but honestly if I had to pick my replacement, it wouldbe her. She really is brilliant but she's actually in it for the science, not the notoriety. That's what going to assure her success."


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Lindsey was just grabbing her pocketbook, keys and leaving note for Gus about dinner when her cell phone rang. She checked the caller ID deciding immediately that if it was Melanie, she would have to wait. "Mr. Eldridge, hello."


"I'm fine, Lindsey and please call me Bill. I'll start looking for my father if you don't and since we don't speak, it's best that I don't look," he responded laughingly. "Now you called about understanding what you could seek in terms of J.R., correct?"


"Yes. I wanted to know if I could apply for full custody, if possible. The bottom line is that I was the primary caregiver even though Melanie is her biological mother." He was silent for a time and she worried briefly if they had loss the connection. She was relieved when he spoke again.


"The good news is that I took the liberty of including a visitation petition to the documents already. That would have been delivered with the petition for divorce."


"But?" She knew there was one in there somewhere. She didn't have to wait long for it.


"Although you are the secondary parent on record and providing Ms. Marcus doesn't issue a counter-suit, we still have Mr. Novotny to worry about. He may decide that it's in his best interests to petition for custody himself since this is a third-parent adoption situation."


"Well that's ridiculous, isn't it?" she asked indignantly. "He only sees her once a year and pays six-hundred dollars in child support which doesn't even begin to cover her expenses. The rest has pretty much come from Brian Kinney, who is my son's biological father. Basically what you're telling me is that if it came down to him or me, I would lose even though J.R doesn't want to stay with either of them?"


"I didn't say that but it will be difficult to make a case against either parent. Because J.R. is young, it really won't matter what she want although it will be taken into consideration. Since she hasn't suffered physical abuse from either party, the judge will have to make a determination strictly on the evidence presented."


"Let me ask you this...how different is the arrangement I have with Brian regarding Gus than what Mel and I have with Michael?"


Bill took a deep breath before explaining. "Mr. Kinney signed over his parental rights but he has what is known as a Post Adoption Contract Agreement, in which Mr. Kinney has access to Gus whenever he likes and you've agreed to share pictures and such with him. Although it isn't legally mandated that he provides financial support for Gus, he does without a problem. The arrangement you have with Michael Novotny is different. You have a Third-Parent Adoption with him, in which he has visitation rights and is legally bound to pay child support to Ms. Marcus, just as you are. Even though he does the absolute minimum, he is still her biological father. If it came down to you or him, they would more than likely side with him."


"So at this rate the best I can hope for is visitation?" Lindsey asked feeling a little dejected.


"Listen, Lindsey....I will do my best for both you and J.R. but I won't lie to you. This is not going to be short and sweet. From what I've heard of Ms. Marcus outside of what you and Brian have told me, is that we are dealing with someone vindictive and intelligent. In a case like yours, it makes for a very tough opponent."


Lindsey sighed. "Well thanks for your time, Bill. I know you'll be in touch and should I hear anything else, I'll call you immediately." She hung up understanding what her freedom was really costing her and wondering if it was all worth it.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Chris paced around his house waiting for George to arrive. It would be the first time he'd had him over, giving his sweet George a glimpse of the life he really lead. He knew it was dangerous but Allison wasn't scheduled to be home for another week and he felt the need to create some decent memories in a house that saw nothing but cold indifference. She often felt trapped and so did he. He'd thought about divorcing her many times but under what grounds? To the outside world in their upper-class existence, they were perfect. He worked, she stayed home or shopped or traveled just like other society matrons within their social class. But Chris was miserable-beyond miserable really-and George gave made him feel free.


He raced to the doors in the study as he heard it open softly. He'd dismissed the staff for the afternoon so he knew it was the love of his life.


"Nice digs, Lover," George's soft voice said in awe.


"Thanks, Baby," Chris responded placing a gentle kiss on George's plush lips while handing him a glass of cognac, which was George's favorite.


They would seem a mismatch by anyone's standards. Even though Chris would never play football again after taking a well-deserved bat to the knee years ago, he still maintained his athletic physique. George was thin but plump in all the right places, especially his ass. Chris stood a head taller than George, which both especially liked. It made it easier for them to have sex standing up without putting added pressure on his knee. George looked almost nerdy whereas Chris' whole persona screamed jock. Despite their differences, Chris was never happier than when he was with George.


"So what was so important that I had to drive all the way out here," George asked.


"What you didn't want to see where I live?"


"Wait...you were serious when you said this was your house?" George asked with a huge smile on his face.


"I share it with my family but yes."


"Does this mean we're finally official?"


Chris laughed. "We've been officially fucking for a year today. Don't tell me you didn't realize that?"


George put his arms around his neck. He pressed his lips to Chris', causing the latter to sigh into it. When the kiss broke Chris felt momentarily bereft of the contact but he didn't have to wait long to be warmed again. "I hadn't thought of it that way, Chris." George shrugged briefly but then he smiled. "Well, don't you think we shook celebrate our anniversary?"


Chris yanked George to him again and lost himself in the only person he would ever love. Sadly their romantic interlude didn't last as long as either of them would have liked as Allison happened up in the guest room two hours later.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


"Michael, why aren't you done hanging those curtains yet? Carl will be home before you finish," Debbie complained.


Admittedly, Michael was distracted which he apologized for. "Ma, let me ask you something?"


"Okay but can you do it while you move a bit faster?"


Michael smiled briefly. She was always impatient when she took an idea into her head. She'd always said it was best to do it before she changed her mind. Uncle Vic had once told him that women were the only creatures allowed the luxury. It was how he'd bullied Debbie into accepting a date from Carl Horvath in the first place. Michael wasn't happy at first but he had misjudged Horvath as Vic had repeatedly told him. Based on the excitement he engendered in his mom, Uncle Vic had been right. He really missed him. But since he died, his mom was his go-to when he needed advice especially since Brian wasn't available to him.


"What do you think of Colby Butler?" Michael asked, distracted momentarily seeing the bright smile on Ben's face in his mind's eye not for the first time that afternoon.


"I think he's a nice young man. And a good-looking one, too," Debbie answered. "Built like a brick shit house with great manners. And that accent...that accent of his could melt the drawers of Jesus."


"Thanks, Ma. I feel so much better," Michael said quietly while rolling his eyes. Debbie touched his shoulder and seeing his downcast eyes, she slapped him. "Ouch! What did you do that for?"


"Because I recognize self-pity and stupidity when I hear it," she answered. "You can't possibly be threatened by Colby and Ben having a friendship."


He rubbed the side of his face. "So what if I am? You said it yourself..he's good-looking, built, charming and he voice is amazing. He also went to college with Ben which means he's smart, Ma."


"And what is wrong with being smart? You're smart."


"Not like they are, Ma. But that's beside the point."


"Well then what is your point?" Debbie asked about ready to knock him upside the head again.


"I'm not like them. I'm not like him. Colby and Ben have a lot more in common than me and Ben. That's my point. Ouch! Again?"


"Yes again," Debbie answered. "What the fuck's wrong with you? Ben married you. You have a relationship; a life together. So what if he's friends with an old college buddy especially after all he's gone through regarding your feelings for Brian. He's had to put up with it for years, even now if you're honest with yourself. Cut him some slack."


 


He was saved from answering by the ring of his cell phone. "Hey, Melanie. How are you? How's J.R.?"


"Yeah we're fine, Michael. Look, are you busy?" she asked.


"I'm helping Ma redecorate before Carl gets in tomorrow."


"Do you mind if I stop by?"


"Wait. You're in Pittsburgh? I asked Lindsey when I saw her about a month ago and she said you and J.R. were still in Toronto."


"You saw Lindsey? Where? You know what never mind. Do you think Debbie would mind if I stopped by?"


"No not at all. I'll see you in a little bit then," Michael said and hung up.


 


"What was that about?" Debbie asked.


"I'm not sure but I know it must have something to do with why Lindsey was here meeting with Brian."


"They were meeting? I didn't know she was in town past the last day she and Gus came into town."


"Yeah but I didn't ask why. I had other matters to discuss with Brian," he said remembering exactly what happened in the restaurant.


Debbie picked up on the inflection in his voice. "You didn't?" she asked shaking her head. "How many times were you advised to mind your own fucking business?"


"Ma, I couldn't just let him destroy his life. I'm still not going to willingly sit by and watch it happen all over again. Justin fucking Taylor is trouble."


"Michael, do you honestly think Brian can't run his own life? That he doesn't know his own mind? We know what happened with those people he has to call family due to DNA even if the others don't. So based on that knowledge, do you honestly believe he can't take care of himself?"


"No because as usual he's thinking with his dick and not using the head on his shoulders."


Debbie shook her head again. "So, what happened?"


Michael related the entire episode. "And then the little blond bastard had the nerve to threaten me saying that Brian stopped at blacking my eye but he wouldn't." Debbie outright laughed. "What the hell is so funny, Ma?"


"You are. And for the record, Justin is pretty damned adept at defending himself with his fists- gay or not- so you should probably take heed to his warning. Furthermore, if they are both telling you to mind your own fucking business along with the rest of us, you should listen. Hell, Ben even told you that it isn't your business and that almost never happens. Yet while you're hellbent on following Brian and Justin around and trying to destroy their happiness, you're also standing here worried about some old friend of Ben's moving in on your territory. Do you see anything wrong with this picture?"


Michael turned away, climbing onto the ladder to hang the curtains but Debbie's words were still ringing in his ears.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Troy stuck his head inside the room checking on Daphne. He was relieved to see her sitting up but disheartened to see the look on her face. Although she looked like his Daphne, there was no evidence of a smile; her bubbly personality, absent. He moved further into the room calling her name softly. She turned from the window where the sun was setting, to look at him. His heart nearly broke at the tears he'd seen there making her eyes appear like chocolate diamonds. He wanted nothing more than to remove the nameless shadows from her eyes.


"What happened to me?" She asked simply.


He knew he couldn't lie to her. Hell she knew just as much as he did and he knew she was alert enough to know a part of her was touched which had nothing to do with her head. "Preclampsia."


"That's impossible, I wasn't preg-" her words cut off. "Troy, I took pregnancy test after pregnancy test. All came back negative, I was scheduled for a blood test and check-up next week. How the fuck? Oh my God, the baby. Where's the baby, Troy?"


"Daphne-"


"The baby, Troy and don't you dare fucking think to lie to me or spare my feelings or whatever else you think to do. Just answer the question." She rambled but with conviction and authority which he'd only heard her use a few times with subordinates in the operating room. Again he understood her friendship with Justin Taylor and Brian Kinney, who had used the same tone earlier in the day with him.


So he decided to use the same tone with her. "If you would shut up and let me get in a word edgewise, I'll tell you what you need to know. No bullshit, just us. Okay?" Her eyes widened briefly and her nostrils flared but she nodded. He felt relieved because it meant that the Daphne he'd come to love wasn't far away. That thought brought him up short for a moment. Yeah-he did love her but he didn't have time to examine how he loved her at the moment-not with the look of impatience etched across her pretty features. He pulled the stool meant for doctors up to the bed on the side of the window so she could look out of it if she needed to. "The babies are gone, Daphne. We had to take both of them. It was a matter of your life and they were..."


"The babies were what? Spill it, Troy," she said firmly, tears in her eyes but determined to hear all of it.


"Stillborn. They were already dead when we took them, Daphne. Even if you had been able to carry them to term, they would not have been alive."


"How old were they?" She looked out the window briefly before looking back at him.


"You were just about six months. The hormone was evident in your blood but your urine held an obscene amount of protein which is how I knew something was off, even before we got the blood work back. We had to lower your blood pressure quickly which is probably why you have a headache now?" He formed the last in an open-ended question which confirmed a slight nod. "Your pressure was one-ninety-four over ninety-seven. Fortunately there wasn't an interruption in brain activity but you know all of this so why am I telling you?"


"Because I need to hear it," Daphne said quietly.


"Why?" he asked just equally quiet.


"I knew something was wrong, Troy. I knew even as I showered, preparing to leave the hospital but you know us...people in medical make the worse patients," she said offering him a small smile again which quickly disappeared. "Anyway, hearing exactly what happened restores my faith that I couldn't have prevented anything with the exception of passing out. Where did I pass out anyway?"


"By the car," he answered. "Good thing you hadn't made it far."


"Yeah lucky. Who have you told?"


"Just Janie, Meredith, Anne and I know what's going on with you. I wouldn't allow anyone else to tend you; would not even have anyone else in the O.R. with us. Risky yes but you know the vultures circle when they smell blood, especially yours or mine. I know we can trust them."


She nodded. "Brian and Justin? I know they were here. Somehow, even unconscious I could hear Justin yelling," she chuckled. "I won't yell or complain if you did. I know how they can be."


It was his turn to laugh and nod. "I told them and they vowed to keep your confidence. I told them that I wasn't leaving you alone and promised to call them when you woke up."


"Let them be for now. If I know them-and I do-they will become a royal pain in your ass soon enough. Enjoy being ‘proctologist' free for a little while longer. They'll be rooting in your ass and not in a positive, life-affirming way when they get here." At his puzzled look, she laughed. "They may be good-looking and elegant in their manners but they can be vicious when crossed and their bite is much worse than the bark, I assure you."


"And are you like that, too?" Troy was genuinely curious to know.


"Brian and Justin never let me get that deep into myself to find out. If I have a problem and they hear of it before I have a chance to tell them myself, they handle it without me knowing until after the fact. They are the big brothers I've never had-even though Justin is only a few months older than I am-and they really are the best friends a girl could ask for," her smile took on a serene quality when she spoke of them.


"You should rest before your sentinels come back." He got up from the stool but she grabbed his hand.


"I guess you're right but do me a favor."


"Anything."


She smiled brightly at him then and his heart stopped for a moment. "Don't promise that. I've been dying to get to Tahiti and I may ask for that at your expense." He laughed, enjoying the feel of her hand on his wrist. "Sit with me for awhile...at least until I fall asleep?" she asked.


He lowered himself back onto the stool, keeping hold of her hand as she fell asleep watching the sunset.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Brian and Justin stopped in the diner for a quick bite before heading to the loft to grab a little something to eat. Justin's appetite, which was usually robust at best, seemed to have fled him so he and Brian decided to split a turkey sandwich on whole wheat, no mayo. Ordinarily Justin would have made some quip about the how dry the sandwich was but not then. Brian watched him steadily, knowing he was hurting for Daphne as much as Brian was.


"How could she not tell us, Brian? Justin asked, finally breaking the silence which was beginning to drive him nuts.


"You heard what the doctor said just as I did, Justin. She may not have known. Unless Daphne had a blood test in the last few months which I'm pretty sure she didn't then there was no way she knew. Now eat. You're playing with your food worse than Gus used to." Brian took another bite to emphasize how it's done. Justin followed suit mainly to keep the argument to a minimum- Brian knew. "Look, he said he would call us when she woke up so in the meantime.. we'll go back to the loft and fuck to relieve some tension."


Justin chuckled for the first time in many hours causing Brian to smile in return. "I've always marveled at your ability to get romantic at the expense of other's plight."


"Hard. I get horny at their expense," Brian corrected.


"You're always horny, Brian."


"Would you prefer me to get maudlin and cry and boo-hoo over the misfortunes of life or would you rather me fuck you to within an inch of your life, Sunshine?"


That made Justin laugh out loud. "Ever the romantic." He pulled out his wallet daring Brian to stop him. He shook his head when Brian made a gesture to signify zipping his lip.


 


As they were leaving the diner, Justin came up short at the sight which greeted him.


"You're looking well, Justin," the slightly cultured voice stated. "I see you're back and gone backwards treading old territory again."


"Ethan, I see you're back as well," Justin said nonchalantly. The second half of his comment didn't deserve a reply. "Last I heard you were in Berlin. That was what? Six years ago? Haven't heard anything else since though."


"I didn't know you two knew each other," the man with Ethan said. Cody Bell was a one-time friend of Justin's back in the Pink Posse days when Justin had been tired of being a victim. He'd forced Justin to face his fears, including Chris Hobbs but they parted ways when things took a potentially deadly turn. Justin realized that the role of "hetero-bully" just wasn't for him. With the new laws in Pittsburgh, Justin guessed it wasn't for Cody any longer either. He actually looked...calm.


"Yes, Cody. Justin and I know each other very well, don't we?" Ethan asked, a feral smile gracing his features.


Brian stood by a slight smile on his lips watching the exchange. Justin knew he would step in eventually but was content to let Justin put the fool where he belonged which was firmly behind him. "Yes, Ethan we do. I know myself as Brian's life mate and I know you for the raggedy mistake I made. But then I was, what was it, Brian?"


"Inexperienced. You had to have a boy to appreciate the man, Sunshine. That's all." Brian smiled as he shrugged.


"Boy have I learned my lesson," Justin said winking and biting his bottom lip. He enjoyed the effect the action had on each of the three men standing around him indicated by the slight but sharp gasps by each of them. But only one's reaction caused the answering twinge in his cock. Brian folded his lips, to keep from laughing out loud.


Ethan was the first to recover since the comment was directed at him. "You enjoyed our time together as much as I did."


"I did enjoy it but you could never make me cum as hard or as often. You see, Brian had an amazing recovery time. He still does and he's much more...experienced than you could ever hope to be. I can't remember the number of times I told you not to cum but you did. That's called dick control but again...that's the difference between aboy and a man. Boys are selfish in all things, especially when it comes to getting off. Men are not."


"It was just his money and you know it." Ethan said bitterly.


"Do I? Since I have my own, is that the reason I'm still with him?"


"And how did you get it? Sucking and fucking him?" Ethan shot back.


"Well if it was, it was well-earned since I still suck and fuck him often and enjoy every fucking second of it." Justin turned and gave Brian a brief kiss but their lips clung at the end of it. "In fact, we were on our way to do just that. Enjoy your evening," Justin said as he moved past them but turned back briefly. "For the record, I have my own success and it didn't top out six years ago." He turned again but could still feel two sets of eyes boring into his back.


 


"Well done, Sunshine."


"I know. So how are you going to reward me?"


"I thought that was obvious. You ready to get sucked and fucked?" Brian asked, pulling Justin in close and letting his voice drop an octave.


"I'll bet my ass, I am," Justin responded causing Brian to laugh out loud.


As they rode past the diner in Brian's Jaguar, the two figures still stood in front while Justin threw up a hand to wave.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Melanie arrived at Debbie's in record time. She'd spoken to Marty who advised her of the uphill battle facing Melanie regarding the divorce. The custody situation was a different matter altogether. According to Marty, Lindsey had just as many rights as Michael and Mel because they had a three-parent adoption. Although Michael had not been able to provide much support for J.R., Lindsey had both in time and financially. That was the bad news. The good news was if the biological parents were in agreement, then the third parent would have to abide by the judge's decision, no matter what it was-and that included still paying child support. Even though Jenny Rebecca was an intelligent child and knew her own mind, and she would be allowed to tell the judge her thoughts, her opinion would be taken in account but not used in the overall decision because she was a minor.


"J.R., when we go in here, I need you to spend time with Grandma Debbie okay, so I can talk to your daddy."


"That's fine by me. I like Grandma. She's fun like Mommy."


"What daddy and I aren't fun?" Melanie asked a little amused at the reasoning of the ten-year old.


"I please the fifth," J.R. said.


Melanie laughed out loud then. "It's ‘plead' the fifth, sweetheart. You plead the fifth. But why would you?"


"Because Uncle Brian said, I should be nice to you. I don't want to hurt your feelings."


"You can be honest with me, J.R. I promise not to get upset with you." Melanie wondered why Brian would have to tell J.R. to be nice to her. It hurt that Brian knew things about J.R. that she did not. Same was always the case with Lindsey.


J.R. took a deep breath. "You're mean to Mommy about Uncle Brian and Gussie. You're hardly ever home and when you do come home, it's like all you want to do is fuss and fight with Mommy. She works just as hard as you do but all you do is stomp and yell."


"That's between Mommy and I, J.R. and not your business," Melanie said sternly.


"I don't see why not since I live there, too. And that's another problem. I don't want to live there without Mommy and Gussie."


"Well that's too bad, J.R. I work there, you go to school there-our lives are there."


"I'm already missing school so I can always enroll here. Mr. Marty said that it wouldn't look good for you to leave town so why can't we stay?"


"I'm not discussing this with you, J.R." Melanie said angrily. J.R. was silent then.


 


Michael met them at the door, asking J.R. all the usual questions about her life. Melanie was pleased that she displayed manners, even if she hadn't to her. Michael took her into the kitchen where Debbie was almost finished baking cookies. J.R. greeted her enthusiastically talking a mile a minute. Melanie couldn't help the small feeling of jealousy watching the two of them with their heads together.


"Well what was so important to drag you back to the Pitts, Mel?" Michael began leading her into the living room.


Melanie sat down, accepting a cup of tea from him. "You really don't know?"


"Know what?" Michael asked warily.


"Lindsey is seeking a divorce."


"What? No way," Michael said. "Why?"


"Yes way. She's filing under ‘Irreconcilable Differences,'" Melanie answered. "But there's more." She detailed most of the suit leaving out the details which drove Lindsey to seek divorce in the first place and Gus' missing college fund. She advised him that she was seeking visitation rights but could take it further in requesting custody because of the third-party adoption.


"So what do you need from me?" Michael asked still in shock from the news of the divorce.


"I need you to side with me on this, Michael. Look- I've never complained against anything you've done or haven't been able to do after we left here. However, if Lindsey proceeds we could both lose out on seeing Jenny Rebecca grow up," she lied smoothly.


"Well that's unacceptable. Lindsey wouldn't do that would she?"


"Who knows, Michael? She's not the same Lindz anymore and she's not in the mood to be reasonable. From what I understand she's working for Justin and has bought a home here, already. She has no intention of returning to Toronto with me or otherwise." She noticed his body stiffen at the mention of Justin's name. She would examine that later.


"When is the hearing?"


"Two weeks from tomorrow."


"I'll be there," Michael answered as Melanie smiled in response.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


They walked into the loft and Justin was immediately assailed with memories from the first time he'd set foot in the glamorous space from the last moment he'd left it ten years ago. Very little had changed; the feeling of rightness and as if he belonged there certainly hadn't. Perhaps it was because of the owner who stood in the middle of the floor watching him. Brian discarded his leather jacket, tossing it recklessly on the cream-colored couch, waiting for Justin to come to him. Justin knew he wouldn't push or rush him intuitively understanding Justin's need to absorb it all.


Justin's eye caught on a painting he'd recognized at once, hanging along the back wall of the living room area. The first half of the story hung in the gallery of Britin. This painting, again consumed in muted light, shadow and midnight blue bedding was titled Aftermath, in which the culmination of their relationship ended with Brian and Justin entwined in a tight embrace. Brian's face was buried in Justin's neck, his long fingers entangled in the blond locks- much shorter than they were as he stood mesmerized by the image- Brian's body stretched the full length of Justin with one knee bent. Justin looked up at the ceiling with tears in his eyes, not wanting to leave but understanding that he had to go. One foot was balanced on Brian's bent knee, the connection between those glistening figures in the painting never severed.


Justin hadn't realized he'd moved from the doorway until he felt Brian behind him moving his hair to expose the nape of his neck. He still couldn't take his eyes off the painting as Brian launched the sensual assault. Justin gasped at the sensation of Brian's tongue caressing the top of his spine. His jacket was unceremoniously discarded to join his lover's on the couch.


"I never thought to see it again," he said quietly.


"I know," Brian responded equally quiet. "I couldn't not buy both of them."


 


Love what we do


I adore the taste of every thought of you*


Justin nodded understanding more than he could express in words. Brian turned him then kissing him softly at first, then building speed and intensity gradually. Justin sucked on his sensuous bottom lip as Brian sucked on Justin plush top lip. Justin gasped at the cool air moving across his back as Brian pulled his shirt up and off in on swift movement. He brought them back together burying his tongue in Justin's mouth over and over again, swallowing the aroused aspiration as Justin exhaled. Justin's hands itched to feel the skin-to-skin contact. He pulled Brian's shirt up and over his head in the same swift movement, thankful Brian had decided to forego his usual tie and his shirt was unbuttoned at the neck. Teeth clashed briefly as they began to kiss again- harder as they breathed in each other- hands clawing and gripping, tearing at pants. Justin needed to feel the body he constantly craved.


 


You're so strong and so pure


Got me dickmatized and I want some more*


Brian forced him down on to the familiar cushions positioned directly beneath the painting. The Mies Van Der Rohe coffee table was roughly pushed back as Brian pounced on Justin. The latter took his lover's weight easy reveling in the feel of their torsos meeting roughly at first, then smoothly as they settled a steady rhythm- dry humping and building the anticipation with every swipe of their tongues. Brian kissed Justin's neck, biting at the sensitive spot there sending shockwaves through the body beneath him. Justin clung to Brian as if his life depended on it and in a way it did. He wrapped his arms and legs tightly bringing them even closer, enjoying the grunt that left Brian as Justin tightened his limbs around him. It became a semi-wrestling match as they struggled to get closer. Finally broke free of the hold around his neck, zeroing in on Justin's nipple. Justin cried out at the first bite, moaning at the second and whimpering at the third. Brian licked and then blew the pain away before repeating the exercise. Justin gripped his hair close to coming as Brian continued his ministrations.


 


I drink your mind, Suga, Consume your soul


Cause you give permission for me to let go*


No one other than Brian could pull reactions like that from Justin. It was easy for Justin to lose himself completely in such a dominant and complete lover. He allowed Justin to enjoy the feeling without having to worry about what came next. The short burst of pain mingled with pleasure as Brian continued down Justin's torso. His dick throbbed with every movement Brian made against him. Low moans were pulled from him as he felt the hands loosening his pants, pushing the pants down his legs and then issuing the most punishing grip on his hip Brian ever gave him- holding him in place as Brian swallowed around his dick. Justin's eyes rolled in his head at the feeling of his head being squeezed first by lips and then by a constricting throat. Brian fingers dug deeper into his flesh, keeping him from moving. All he could do was moan and groan and plead as Brian's hot mouth and talented tongue sensitized him mercilessly. He ached. He wanted. He needed. "Please."


 


I can be with you, all of me


Submissive, dominant, freaky*


"Brian please. I need-" Justin begged.


It was what Brian had been waiting to hear. Wordlessly, Brian stood up eagerly completing the process of undressing. Justin sat up to watch him. Brian saw the pleading look in Justin's eyes but he continued to take his time. He knew the longer he made Justin wait, the more frenzied he became. It was one of the things he loved about fucking Justin. He was eager and insatiable but it was always controlled, except with him. That was why people who Justin fucked and tried to build relationships with never lasted, Ethan especially. They didn't understand how to handle him when he was stressed or when he was under a lot of pressure, which he was because of Daphne. Running into Ethan and Cody hadn't helped matters- it made him angry no matter how satisfying it was at the same time. Then the shock of the painting and all it represented...he was on sensory overload and needed to be taken completely out of his own head.


Lowering himself fully onto Justin, Brian relished the sound of the sharp intake of breath Justin made. His skin was as feverish as Brian had ever felt it. He was squirming under Brian as if trying to crawl inside the body covering his. "Stay still, Sunshine and I'll give you what you want. But I'm not going to be rushed. Understand?"


Justin smiled and nodded. "Yes, Sir."


Brian's nostrils flared and smiled slightly back at Justin. They understood each other as no one else ever would. He kissed Justin softly only once and it was enough just then. Brian looked around and spotted just what he wanted. He grabbed his tie he'd worn the last time he'd been at the loft. Tying it tightly around Justin's eyes but not tight enough to hurt him, he instructed him not to move. Justin whimpered at the loss of body heat but he did as Brian told him, lying stretched out. Brian headed into the kitchen, grabbing a couple of items there and then headed into the bedroom to grab the set of manacles he'd brought Justin several years ago to re-teach him the act of trust after the bashing. Moving back over to the pallet, Brian set the items on the coffee table.


"You trust me, right?" Brian asked needing to hear from his lips. Trust was a gift never to be taken lightly nor implied. 


"Always, Brian," he answered smiling brightly and Brian's breath caught at the sight. He attached the fur-lined handcuffs onto Justin's outstretched wrists causing Justin to giggle slightly. "I can't believe you kept those."


"How do you know their the same ones?"


I recognize the feel of them, Brian. Besides you had them specially made."


"Leave it to you to remember." He had them made so they were a little loose on his right hand, which was adversely affected. "Now shut up and let me do what I'm doing."


Brian took a sip of JB, transferring the liquid to Justin who promptly drank it from his lips. He did that twice more advising on the third time not to swallow until he told him to. He looked up to make sure Justin obeyed, pleased that he did. Grabbing the ice, Brian a small ice cube in his own mouth, swirling his tongue around his. When he caught it between his teeth he told Justin to swallow. As soon as he swallowed the warming liquid, Brian attacked his nipples again causing the body under him to bow fully.


"Oh my god, Brian," Justin gasped.


Brian chuckled as he continued alternating between ice and the heat of the liquor until Justin was shivering with want and begging again with need. After applying more ice to his tongue, he flicked it against the head of Justin's dick. Once again Justin caved upward both running from the sensation of it and soliciting it at the same time. Brian applied the lube to his fingers keeping up the his oral ministrations. The sight of Justin completely at his mercy, cock dripping with pre-cum and begging for what he wanted, was more than enough to get Brian off but he wanted to do that inside Justin. He rolled Justin over onto his stomach, biting each cheek in turn before positioning him for his entry. Brian slowly pressed against the opening as Justin pushed back. Brian applied a firm smack to the plump ass.


"Keep still or I'll stop," he ordered. Justin stilled immediately. He chuckled.


"Will you just fuck me already?" Justin's natural inclination to be demanding was kicking in.


"Uh-huh, Sunshine. You don't get to be the bossy bottom right now. Keep it up and we'll start all over again," Brian threatened.


 


Cause when I blackout


And then I come back


Justin took a deep breath to calm his nerves as Brian gained the first ring of access. He pushed into Justin's back and he bent further forward, deepening the curve of his spine. Brian slid in further enjoying the slow, deep moan Justin produced. Brian groaned at the feeling of the tightness he would never get tired of. He began the steady back and forth rhythm snapping his hips hard at the end. Gripping Justin by the back of the tie still over his eyes, Brian bought the back of him in direct proximity to his chest. Sitting back on his haunches, Brian whispered for Justin to move. He yelped when he did, Justin bouncing hard and fast on Brian's cock. He reached around to begin stroking Justin, remembering when he had done that to Brian. The effect of the ass bearing down and clenching consistently on him brought Brian to the brink. Fortunately, he didn't have to wait long for Justin to come. Brian bit his shoulder and fucked him through the orgasm as he shot his load over and over, decorating Brian's hand in the process. He collapsed forward in a heap, body still quivering. The resulting tremors brought Brian's foray into ecstasy immediately afterward. But as always Brian recovered in mere seconds. He waited until Justin regained consciousness to begin moving again. He released the blindfold although the cuffs still stayed in place. He watched Justin as Brian built them up to culmination a second time.


You still meet me in the eye


And you're still hittin' that*


 


He finally released the cuffs from Justin's wrists and dislodged himself, exhausted. "Feeling better?"


Justin laid quietly, breathing deeply while staring up at the painting. "Lots."


"What's wrong, Sunshine?" Brian asked as he nuzzled Justin under the ear.


Justin smiled a small smile as he continued to look up. "Other than the fact that my ass is sore from you fucking me through the floor?" Brian laughed briefly as did Justin. "I don't feel the way I did when I painted that. Hopeless, stupid, dejected...worried."


Brian listened attentively as he spoke. It vaguely reminded of the time Justin had returned from doing the movie. It was never something they talked about, opting to live in the moment and enjoy each other enough so it would last until the next time. There was something almost poetic about them having this particular conversation in the loft instead of at the house. He grabbed two cigarettes and lit them, passing one to Justin. They inhaled and exhaled in silence for a time before Justin began again.


"I thought that it was the right thing to do...so much so that I was willing to sacrifice both you and me to it and for a time I did. And yes, we're on equal footing now, Brian, but what at cost?"


"Look the important thing is that we decided to stop being assholes, right? So the rest doesn't matter. No apologies, no excuses. No regrets."


He leaned over kissing Justin; effectively shutting out every other thought. The tension of the moment gone.


 


Until Then (I Imagine)- Jill Scott*


 


. *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Upon leaving Vanguard Advertising Agency, Craig called Jim revealing all he accidentally (on purpose) heard of the conversation he'd overheard between Gardner Vance and Kip Thomas. They agreed to meet at the Hobbs residence to plan and organize how to deal with the information. Repeating the information again to bring Senior and Samuel up to speed, Craig reminded them of the Kinney/ Taylor banking information.


"So you want to use Kip Thomas, to bring Brian Kinney to heel?" Senior asked. "Exactly how do you plan to do that, Craig? It's not as if we have all of the other financial information we need to wage a full out war against him."


"Distraction is the key to mistakes being made," Craig said. "The best tool we have for that distraction is Justin."


"But he isn't going to cooperate. We all know that, Craig," Stockwell said shaking his head.


"Of course not but Kip Thomas will. The guy is a rat and we all know he has the most to both benefit and lose in this situation. He has been looking for a way to get even with both Brian and Justin for years. Using him would be our best chance to destroy Kinney, thereby separating the he and Justin for good and true."


"Wait," Samuel said. "Craig, are you sure that's what you want? I know that you don't consider him your son anymore but he's still your flesh and blood, no matter. He's just opened a new branch of his business here in Pittsburgh as well. So even if we destroy Kinney there is no guarantee that your son will leave him. I think we need to leave Justin out of this plan altogether and concentrate all of our efforts on Brian Kinney. That cock of the walk is the real power of the duo."


"That's where you're wrong," Craig protested. "They are equals in every way that matters and that includes financially. I'm sure Justin doesn't have as much in the bank but they compliment each other in business as much as anything else. If you bring one to heel, you have to bring the other to do so as well. Otherwise, Justin will help Kinney rebuild and then Kinnetik will be just as untouchable as it is now."


Jim nodded. "How sure are we that this, Kip Thomas, will cooperate?"


"If he doesn't, he will lose his job. Vance can't afford to lose this account to Kinnetik. The company- run by two head-strong and business savvy women- is worth a hefty sum and are looking to expand further into the international markets. Even at collecting two percent of the profits, based on what they've done already with Canada, the U.S. and South America, Vanguard stands to gain two million dollars from the account per year. That's nothing to turn a nose up at or a blind eye."


"Alright, Craig. Since he is familiar with you, you speak to him and see what he can do. In the meantime, I will call Joshua. It's time he came home," Samuel said.


"Planning another bombing?" Jim asked.


"Possibly on a smaller scale but it's best to have him on hand should the opportunity arise."


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


"Holy shit," Chris said under his breath.


He had dropped by to see his grandfather as he always did. But this time was different. He wanted to see what his options were for dissolving the marriage with Allison and how much would be fair in the settlement before he had the family attorneys draw up the papers. Even though she was pissed off Chris was fucking someone else in the house, she wasn't upset about George. She was more upset about how having him there would look to the neighbors. She asked for a no-contest divorce and disclosed her own infidelity with Chance Barber, one of Chris' long-time friends who had become distant in recent years. At least he understood why that friendship was on the brink of dissolving completely.


Arriving at the house where he'd grown up, the last thing he'd expected to hear was the plans to destroy Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor. He was torn about what to do for several reasons: number one: there was family loyalty and the fact that Chris Hobbs stood to inherit a substantial fortune when his grandfather passed. If he were convicted of a felony- including the eight deaths associated with the bombing of Babylon several years ago, all of that could go up in smoke. Secondly, there was no question that he would always feel threatened by Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor, if they found out about that he was a closeted homosexual and the fall out from it. They could cause him to lose everything he'd been waiting patiently for.


Again he reflected of the events surrounding his and Justin's sordid past but then he considered his own relationship with George. He began to understand the feelings Justin and Brian must have had toward each other even back then. He would be hard-pressed not to kill the person or people trying to take George away from him in the manner Justin's own father was suggesting. The third reason and probably the most telling of all was the need to make up for all his wrongdoings in reference to Justin Taylor. He didn't understand what his actions really did until Justin confronted him at gunpoint some years before. The humiliation he felt as he pissed on himself while a gun was placed in his mouth, he understood the fear Justin must have felt at his hands. Chris had looked over his shoulder for well over three years because of that incident and even though it angered him that he'd became a paranoid wimp, he still could not be angry at Justin for instilling the same fear in Chris that he'd faced everyday since discovering he liked men. The same fear of discovery coursed through Chris every time he went in search of George. The only difference was eventually Justin got tired of hiding who he was; Chris didn't have the same luxury. Money versus integrity was a helluva dilemma indeed.