- Text Size +

After receiving the call from Dr. Bradley while Justin had Brian tied to the Mies Van Der Rohe coffee table, he hurriedly took care of his partner-which Brian found no less satisfying, indicated by trying to stand on a set of wobbly legs- raced to the shower and drove back to the hospital all within half an hour of the call with Brian still trailing behind. There was no question of how they'd spent the afternoon. Although Justin was moving significantly faster than Brian, he still had a bit of knock-kneed action going on which caused Daphne to burst out laughing the minute they came through the door of her room and made their way over to the bed.

 

 

 

"Oh shut up," Justin said as she tried to minimize her outright laughter to the occasional chuckle. It didn't work and Brian and Justin had no choice but to laugh with her.

 

Getting her bearings, she said, "Sorry to interrupt." A slight smile still on her lips.

 

"No, you're not," Justin said with an answering smile but he quickly sobered. "How are you feeling?"

 

"Like my abdomen was run over by a truck but there is a reason for that." She looked away briefly. "Troy told me that you know what happened." As Brian and Justin started to speak, she held up her hand. "Before, I answer every question I see in your eyes, there's a lot to tell you so you may want to sit down."

 

"I'll-" Brian began but she stopped him.

 

"You too, Brian. I want you to hear it, too."

 

 

 

Justin grabbed the chair whereas Brian opted to stand by the large window.

 

 

 

"So why didn't you tell us, Daphne?" Justin asked.

 

"First thing I will tell you is that I didn't know. I was sure something was wrong but I figured whatever it was would straighten out on its own. I took about five pregnancy test, which were all negative. Everything was normal. I won't go into what everything is because let's face it- you're gay men and men in general are squeamish when it comes to women issues. I don't need you two passing the hell out when I can't get out of bed to tend you two," she said smiling.

 

"Whose was it?" Brian asked, the look in his eyes almost murderous.

 

She stopped a moment before saying, "You can't kill him or have him murdered, if that's what you're thinking. Besides if Drew found out, I'm fairly certain he'd already have done the job."

 

"Drew? What the hell has he got to do with this?" Justin asked before Brian had a chance to. There was no question of how angry Brian and Justin were but if Drew Boyd knew about this beforehand...

 

Daphne took a deep breath. "Justin, remember the man I was seeing in New York."

 

"Steve Marshall, right?"

 

"That's right, Dr. Steven Marshall. It turns out that my last patient was his wife, who happened to be Drew's ex."

 

"Whoa. You were seeing a married man, Daphne? You know better than that," Brian said angrily.

 

"Of course I know better than that, Brian and it would never have happened if I'd known. Surely you know by now that I'm not that kind of woman," Daphne said equally angry.

 

He'd known Daphne all of her adult life and even though they hadn't seen each other for many years, he still knew she would never do something so callous. "Yeah, I know, Daph," he said calmer realizing what he basically accused her of. "I'm just fucking pissed off right now. You're fucking lying in a hospital bed because of that asshole and you're telling me I can't kill the motherfucker. You can't blame me."

 

She shook her head and let out a frustrated breath. "No I can't but as pissed as you are, I think I'm even more so and with very good reason. But to let you know, Brian, he pursued me for well over a year before I even went out for coffee with him. We've dated for five of the six years, I've known him- or thought I knew him anyway. That's why the barista at the coffee shop I took you to, had an immediate issue until I told her who you were. We went there every day when I was on break and he wasn't on the surgical rotation. You're damned good looking but you weren't Steve. She believed like everyone else that we would end up together. Life doesn't always work out that way, does it?" She shrugged, eyes downcast.

 

"So that's why you quit your job, Daphne?" Justin asked more calmly than what he was feeling. Truthfully, he felt like Brian in wanting to kill the bastard for hurting Daphne. But he also realized that Daph needed him more.

 

She nodded. "In my position at the hospital, I would have been expected to tend Ciara, which I wouldn't have had a problem with. I also would have had to continue interacting with Steve and that couldn't happen civilly. Above all things, I am a professional and I would not have been able to stay that way if forced to deal with him. In fact, he begged me to stay on his wife's case because I was the only doctor he could trust implicitly with her care. I'm diligent whereas some of the others are not and they wouldn't have been, even knowing who she was. But there was more because you see, the two of us were the same amount of months pregnant. I really hope she gets to keep hers and that they have a long, healthy life with or without Steve."

 

"That fucking bastard..." Justin began but Daphne held him off.

 

"Yeah, that fucking bastard. It didn't matter that I didn't know I was pregnant at the time but it did matter that he'd been dating me as long as he'd been married to her...longer in fact. Isn't it obvious why I had to leave?"

 

"So what does Dr. Bradley say about all of this?" Brian asked.

 

"Nothing because I haven't told him."

 

Justin had seen the look in Troy Bradley's eyes when he spoke of Daphne and it wasn't just her admiring of her surgical skills. "Why haven't you told him, Daph? He seems to genuinely want to be your friend outside of work."

 

"And he is to a degree, I suppose, but I've learned my lesson about workplace romances. I'll be friends with everyone who extends the olive branch but nothing more."

 

 

 

As Justin was about to speak, the topic of conversation peeked his head in. Gracious as always, Daphne invited him in and they began chatting it up as familiar with each other as Justin and Daphne were during high school. Brian and Justin exchanged a look but neither would comment on it until they were alone later.

 

 

 

"So, Doc. When can she get out of here?" Brian asked.

 

Troy answered. "Within the next few days but I want her to take a few weeks off."

 

"Mind asking me what I think?" Daphne said firmly.

 

"Okay, Dr. Chanders, what do you think?" Troy said indulgently looking her square in the eye. Brian and Justin watched the exchange intently, still exchanging subtle looks.

 

"I think I should take the rest of this week and half of the next then get back to work," she answered matter-of-factly.

 

"Mm-h'm, I see," Troy said noncommittally. "And is there any wonder why I didn't ask you what you thought, Daphne? It's because of the answer you just gave which is completely irrational and unacceptable. You just had surgery for God's sake." When she started to protest, he held up a hand to stay her words. "As your boss, I'm mandating it but as your friend I'm requesting it."

 

 

 

Justin snickered while Brian turned to the window discovering the moon particularly enchanting but there was no question he was laughing. Troy Bradley had learned how headstrong Daphne Chanders was and knew how to handle her with ease. He was right that she needed to take some time off but had he not pulled the employer card, she would have disregarded it immediately.

 

 

 

"Okay," she said petulantly. All three male occupants looked at her at the same time; two of them with looks of shock, the other with a satisfied smirk. "But you better be prepared for when I come back from my enforced vacation, Troy. I'm bound to be a bitch."

 

"You don't scare me, Daphne. Others- maybe- but definitely not me. Get some rest." He straightened up, smiling wide as he left the room.

 

She watched him go while Brian and Justin watched her. When she turned back, they were still watching her. "What?" she asked.

 

"Nothing," Justin answered quickly.

 

"Everything," Brian answered. "Daphne, if you don't fuck him at least once, I might check your ass into a mental hospital so you can't check yourself out until you agree to it."

 

"Oh, Brian, please. Didn't you hear a word I said before Troy came in here? I'm not shitting where I eat again. Besides, Troy and I are friends nothing more."

 

"Yeah. I heard you but tell me something- is that drool on your bottom lip." When Daphne reached, he burst out laughing. "Friends my ass.You want him as much as he wants you. Besides you don't have to be in love with him to fuck his brains out."

 

"Leave her alone, Brian. At least for now," Justin added with his trademark smile in place.

 

"You two are fools," Daphne said, laughing in spite of herself. "Anyway you'd better be ready for one huge pain in the ass in the coming weeks because I'll be at your place."

 

"Didn't we have this conversation already, Daphne?" Justin said reminding her of the conversation in the bank.

 

"Hey you two, of all people, are not strangers to fucking in front of an audience. It will be entertaining. Besides would you rather I watch or Debbie?" And at their collective groan, Daphne laughed more than she had in the past few weeks. Maybe being off for a couple of weeks wouldn't be so bad after all.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Colby walked into Cynthia's office as she was just finishing up a call with someone named Lindsey. Colby shrugged and sat down waiting patiently. He really was amazed at his Elf's ability to hold a conversation, talk to whomever that was on the phone, then grab the PDA and make notations there. Even with all of his education, he would have chucked it though the huge bay window at her back.

 

 

 

"So how did it go?" Cynthia asked as she hung up the phone, still putting the finishing touches on a document on the computer.

 

"The initial contact went fine, I guess," he answered nonchalantly.

 

"You guess? What's with the guessing? You're usually so cocksure," she said laughing.

 

Colby smiled in return. She was right. "Okay so here's what happened..." He told her about the conversation between Ben and Michael and how he had been told to leave it alone, rather forcefully by his husband. "He reminds me of a pit bull when they get hold of something and you have to pry their jowls open for them to release it. That's the way Michael is where Brian is concerned. He's hell-bent on saving him, though by all accounts the last thing Brian Kinney needs is saving. Shit, that man should come with a warning label himself and so should his lover."

 

"What you've seen Brian? Where?"

 

"It was outside the diner where they were accosted by some other little people who wanted to take shots at them."

 

"Little people?" Cynthia laughed. "At your height, everybody's a little person, Colby. Did you catch the ‘little peoples' names?"

 

"One's name was Ian or something like that and the other Cody."

 

Cynthia blinked twice fast at him. "You mean Ethan and Cody?" When he nodded. She added, "Together? As in they're involved?"

 

"If holding hands in public when there isn't a broken wrist in sight constitutes as together, then yeah they are."

 

"That's a mismatch if I ever could imagine one. Well what happened?" She listened attentively as Colby told her what he'd heard. She laughed hysterically at his retelling of Justin explaining what dick control was but then she sobered quickly as he told her what happened when Justin and Brian got in his car and left. "Fuck! Ethan was always a liar but never violent. Cody, from what Brian told me about him, was militant and violent."

 

"The young man I saw today wasn't. He seemed almost staid in his appearance. Blue eyes which sparkled, light brown hair tapered on the sides. The guy could be a fashion model if he wasn't so short," Colby said laughingly.

 

"From what you say, he may have changed but... I don't know, Colby. I just feel like there's some unspoken danger surrounding Brian and Justin."

 

"Don't tell me you're tapping into that Celtic side of you after all these years, seeing shadows where there aren't any. One thing's for certain though, I wouldn't bet against the house. Those two seem strong."

 

Cynthia nodded. "They are. More than you could possibly imagine but the question is: how much more can they survive?" The loud pounding on the closed office door, shook her out of her revere. Ted burst in looking nothing short of panicked.

 

"We have a problem, Cynthia. A big one," he said breathlessly.

 

Colby and Cynthia exchanged looks before she said, "Go on, Colby and let me know how it turns out. In the meantime, I'll try to secure what you asked me for in terms of a condo but that may take some time so I'm calling in a rather large favor from someone we can trust and who has just as much at stake."

 

He nodded. "You'll fill me later, right?" He stood and Ted looked from one to the other suspiciously.

 

She smiled at the look on Ted's face. Colby often garnered the shocked deer-in-headlights-expression when he stood up from a seated position. "Yeah, I'll let you know," she said still smiling while Colby squeezed past Ted to get to the door.

 

 He laughed as he heard Ted's parting comment. "That's a helluva beanstalk to climb, Jackie." He left out of Kinnetik's front doors still laughing.

 

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Drew was in a pissed off mood when he arrived back in Pittsburgh. Emmett was kind of worried about the information Drew received while they visited in Ciara in the hospital in NYC.

 

 

 

"Are you sure Ciara meant that, Drew or that she even knew what she was saying? She was on some pretty heavy medication. It didn't help that her baby is in NICU either," Emmett tried to get him to see reason.

 

"I know what I heard, Emmett. That fool Steven had been having an affair with Daphne."

 

"Well that would explain why she moved back here. You know to remove temptation and all that. We know Daphne, Drew- me more so than you- she would neverwillingly get involved with a married man, let alone helping the ex-husband of the wife. She's like Justin used to be...idealistic, romantic; the type to actively seek a relationship, not fuck around just for the sake of fucking. That's Brian and Justin's m.o. Daphne isn't like that."

 

"I want to believe that but I still want to get her side of the story. Jesus, Emmett. Do you know what it took for me not to beat the shit out of Steven? Ciara and I had our problems but I won't allow her to be hurt...by anyone."

 

"I know, Drewsie," Emmett said, rubbing Drew's broad shoulders lightly. "Seeing her like that got to me, too, but there has to be a reasonable explanation of how Daphne is involved in this. She's just not that type. And whereas love makes people do crazy things- I mean look at Brian and Justin after all- I can't imagine her not using her brain and willingly getting involved with a married man."

 

 

 

They entered the hospital through the emergency entrance. Between the phones ringing off the hook which nurses were too busy to answer and doctors trying to talk over what had to be family members asking questions all at once, the normally quiet space made a stadium full of shouting fans seem quiet. Emmett spotted Brian and Justin stepping off the elevator, the latter's hair like a beacon in a normally dim setting. They were laughing and speaking no doubt trying to find their way through the maze of humanity which littered the fairly small space.

 

 

 

Reaching them was fairly easy due to Drew. People seemed to automatically give him a wide berth even with the crowd that size. Then again, it could have been the ever-present scowl on his face which told people to part like the Red Sea. "What are you guys doing here," Emmett asked. "Everything okay?" Em brought Justin in close for a hug and a brief kiss as was their custom whenever they saw each other. He nodded briefly to Brian who returned the gesture distractedly still trying to figure what the hell was happening.

 

"Yeah, now it is," Justin answered. "You guys okay? What the hell is going on down here?" Justin gestured toward the overflow, picking up some foreign words he recognized amongst the cacophony of raised voices, out-of-control phones and incoming sirens.

 

"Looks like pandemonium or better yet like hell broke loose somewhere," Emmett answered. "We're just getting in from New York."

 

Brian nodded. "How's Ciara. Daphne told us that's why you went."

 

Drew answered. "She's going to be okay. Speaking of which, where's Daphne? I was going to ask for her at the desk but with the way this place is..."

 

Brian and Justin exchanged looks which Emmett did not miss. "Well...where is she?"

 

"Why do you want to know?" Justin asked. He'd noticed the scowl on Drew's face as they approached.

 

"Justin-" Drew began but Emmett stayed him with a subtle but solid hand to his torso.

 

"The thing is Drew needs to ask her something about the man Ciara is married to. Apparently, Steve- Ciara's no good ass husband- had been having an affair with Daphne. She was on her way to the hospital to speak with Daphne when she got into that God-awful accident. Drew just needs clarification on everything that happened before he kills Steve." Emmett finished with a slight smile.

 

"Well Drew we're of the same mind," Brian said grabbing Drew around the shoulders and heading toward the elevator. "I'll take you to her."

 

"Shouldn't she be down here?" Drew asked looking around.

 

"She should but she isn't," Brian said. "It's her business to tell but that doesn't mean I can't give you a nudge to get your answers. So are you coming or not?"

 

 

 

The four of them crowded into the elevator heading up to the third floor. Emmett looked back and forth between Brian and Drew, as did Justin. The silence in the elevator was both deafening and telling all at once, each of the occupants lost in their own thoughts. Stopping by the desk, Brian informed them of the guests and that he and Justin were going back in to speak with Daphne. At first the idea was met with resistance until Brian spotted Dr. Bradley hurrying down the hall.

 

 

 

"Can you take care of this?" Brian asked giving a cursory look over the nurse behind the desk glowering at him. "They're friends of hers just as we are."

 

"Yeah, follow me. It's okay Anne, I don't think Daphne will mind," Troy said soothingly. Turning to the group of four, he said, "You're lucky because I was heading to her room anyway. Believe it or not, I needed to get her advice on one of her patients."

 

Justin laughed. "You must have a death wish or some rather balls of steel. You just put her on leave, remember?"

 

Troy laughed, too. "Let's hope that it's just balls of steel that I have. I know she's going to hand me a bunch of shit about it but I'm ready for her."

 

 

 

They entered her room to find her looking out the window, her brow furrowed in concentration. Her long reddish-brown hair hung loose about her shoulders and they heard the catch of breath from Troy, who had never seen her with her hair down. It was always under a cap or tied back. Realizing he was being watched, he made a great show of checking the monitors for her vital signs while Justin chuckled and Brian turned his head.

 

 

 

"What are you doing in here again, Troy? Isn't there some emergency you have to take care of?" She asked laughing. "You know you're about to have your manhood card yanked for being a Mother Hen."

 

"Shut up already," he said but he was smiling in response. "I've brought you some visitors but first I have to ask you about Mrs. McKee."

 

"Shit. She's back? What the hell happened? Has she been drinking again? What the fuck, Troy? Are you going to answer? You know what, I'll go take care of it myself." Her speech was as fast as ever as she made to get out of the bed.

 

"You will do no such thing," Troy said as stern as she'd ever heard him which caused her to pause midway. "You're going to lie there and shut up and give me a chance to answer understand, Dr. Chanders?"

 

"You know you wouldn't have to ask me a fucking thing if you'd let me out of this goddamn bed," Daphne said through gritted teeth. She was literally going crazy from inactivity.

 

Troy bent down while extending his arm behind her to grip the headboard, causing her to meet his eyes directly. When she did, he repeated his earlier orders very quietly allowing his breath to ghost across her full lips. He leaned a fraction closer and asked, "Would you rather me chain you to the fucking bed, Daphne? I never figured you for a masochist darling but if you keep trying to get out, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Now would you like to answer my questions regarding your patient?"

 

For her part, Daphne felt like she'd just run a marathon. The sound of Troy's voice softly threatening her made her look at him differently. It made her want. Fuck. He....no she wouldn't think of that. Shaking her head slightly to clear her addled senses of the mixture of green and gold eyes staring back at her. "What do you want to know?" She asked quietly and they began to talk about all the work she'd been doing with the woman to manage her illness. 

 

Although Daphne was a trauma surgeon, she was well-versed in many other fields including heptology- the study of the liver. She and Troy often discussed alternative treatments for patients in danger of developing cirrhosis of the liver, which Ms. McKee was in grave danger of. Because the patient had other ailments as well requiring medication, putting her on another was no longer an option. Several of the current treatments promoted a direct danger when combined to the other meds on her record. Daphne recited all the information to Troy advising the effect of each medication and the potential adverse reactions on the patient. When she finished she looked at him mutinously. "Do you have enough to go on, now?"

 

Troy chuckled. "Yes and thank you, darling. You've been so helpful," he said, picking up her hand and kissing it quickly, causing her to gasp and then chuckle.

 

"You're such a fucking tease, Troy. Now go take care of my patient and let me visit with the riff-raff. I know I'll see you in a bit." He winked as he left the room leaving her alone with her friends. She looked at them all directly, eyes widening just a fraction when her eyes landed on Drew. "What?"

 

"Nothing," they all answered at the same time.

 

She let it go...for now as Justin sat on the edge of the bed and Emmett took a seat on the stool. As when he first visited, Brian took up his position by the window, looking over the vast grounds. "Drew, how was your trip to New York? Did you see, Ciara? How is she and the baby?" Daphne swallowed hard at the last question.

 

Drew pulled the chair from the corner behind the monitors, sitting next to Emmett who promptly took his hand. He took in a deep breath before he spoke. "First and foremost, you did a helluva job patching her up. Dr. Blake said that if it hadn't been for your quick thinking, we would be planning her and the baby's funeral. So thank you for that."

 

She breathed a sigh of relief. The surgery had taken several hours due to a crushed pelvis and Ciara's pregnancy. She'd also suffered several broken ribs, one which narrowly missed puncturing her lung. Daphne knew it would be several months before Ciara healed. "I was just doing my job, Drew. No thanks is needed. I'm just glad she is going to be okay. The baby is too, right?"

 

"Dr. Blake said so and I have to trust him." He shifted on the seat, a little uncomfortable with the conversation that had to happen but he had to know. "Daphne, I need to ask you about Steve."

 

"Why?" The question came out whip-sharp. She closed her eyes briefly to gather her wayward feelings. "I'm sorry, Drew. Steve is a subject I would like to bury."

 

"Yeah so would I," Brian said from the corner. "But you won't let me."

 

Daphne rolled her eyes at him, redirecting her attention to Drew who watched her as a hawk would prey. "What is it, Drew? Ask your questions so we can be done with it. I would ask that it goes no further than this room but I suspect that would be asking for the impossible, correct?"

 

Drew nodded. "Yeah it would be asking for the impossible, Daphne. And I'm sorry for that. How long were you two dating?"

 

"I've known Steve for six years, dated him for five. I only recently found out he had a wife and that it was Ciara after I performed the surgery. I asked for the next of kin and there he was- the husband." She smiled bitterly remembering the revelation of it all. Right then she wished she could adopt Brian's philosophy of living in the solution and not the problem but she couldn't. Her existence was all kinds of fucked up. The only thing she had which made sense was temporarily unavailable to her. Her career went so far beyond her lifestyle or prestige or fame; it was who she was.

 

"You didn't know he was married in all that time, Daphne? How is that even possible?"

 

"Let me explain something to you, Drew- to all of you in fact- I am my job. I can count the number of times per month I actually sleep in my own bed. For someone like me, it makes it easy not to notice things, like a lying, cheating, sneaky son-of-a-bitch in the form of a charming man. For the record, Drew, based on their anniversary date, I should feel like the one slighted. He married her and she got to have and keep her baby. My babies are no longer here or breathing, so don't you dare sit there and judge me." Daphne looked toward Brian, the only one who didn't have pity in his eyes. She appreciated that just then. She was much too angry to want or need pity.

 

"My God, you were..." Emmett said.

 

"Yeah, I was. Only I didn't know that I was six months when they found me in the parking lot passed out by my car." She met his eyes directly then shifted them back to Drew. "Now hear this: I don't want to ever speak his name again. I told you what you needed to know and you can relate it to Ciara if that's what you choose to do so long as I am not around to know of it. I left the city because I wanted to get away from him; to live my life and not look back. I don't want to deal with any of it anymore. Are we clear?"

 

"Crystal," Drew said. "But there is one more thing, Daphne."

 

"What is it?"

 

"Dr. Blake and I were speaking about you in his office and Steve overheard. I can't prove it but I know he did. My gut tells me that and it has never steered me wrong before."

 

"What? You don't actually think he'll come here do you, Drew?" Justin who had been silent throughout the whole exchange asked.

 

"I think anything is possible. He was pretty angry when he found out she quit her job and left town for good. He didn't know where she was but the last time I saw him...well let's just say he looked a bit more relaxed than he had in the days prior and it had nothing to do with Ciara or the baby."

 

"That's it, Daphne. I know you don't want to talk about it again-" Justin said.

 

"And I won't," she said adamantly.

 

"Troy has to be told," Justin said just as firmly. "It's better to be safe than sorry and this dude sounds like a problem."

 

"Justin, I can take care of myself and this is my business. Not yours or anyone else's. Mine."

 

"You know what...Fuck this," Brian said as he headed for the door.

 

"Where are you going?" Emmett asked.

 

"She doesn't want to tell the good doctor, I will." And he stomped from the room in search of the only person who may be able to help Daphne in a way the rest of them couldn't. If only she would let him.

 

 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Ben walked into Woody's with mixed feelings. On the one hand, he felt he should have been with Michael to reassure him and assuage his feelings. In the same thought, he couldn't wait to catch up with Colby. The Wild One, was what he was called through college. He was anxious to find out if he was still living up to the moniker. Ben suspected he was; Colby was never one for living life in the slow lane.

 

He spied Colby, sitting by the bar being hit on by a tall twink. Even from his vantage point, Ben could tell Colby was amused and bored by turns. He was always like that. If Colby wasn't engaged mentally, being engaged physically wasn't an option. Being as tall and handsome as Colby it just kinda went with the territory. He hadn't looked like he'd aged a day in the years he and Ben's lives took separate turns. Ben and Colby had been inseparable for their years of college and even a few years afterward. They studied together, worked together and cruised for women together. The first night they fucked, Ben was high but couldn't deny having thought about it a million times prior. The drugs just let him do what he wanted to every time he saw Colby fucking the brains out of some nameless broad. Ben thought about that night many times over the years. It was the night he'd discovered just how shallow his attraction to women really was. Yeah he could get his dick up without a second thought-at that age who couldn't?- but with Colby he'd understood just what was missing. It was one of the things he'd never spoken about with Michael and probably never would. He loved Michael but there was some things he just couldn't tell his husband, no matter how open and honest the relationship.

 

Ben had opted to put in his little-used contact lenses. They felt funny but when meeting an ex-lover no one wanted to look like they were about to give a lecture. He'd waited until Michael went to his mom's to do so, avoiding the most common questions and the cold shoulder. Michael wouldn't have understood the need for Ben to look his best just meeting an old college chum for drinks at Woody's but that was understandable to a point. Michael's most serious relationship had been with a doctor who by all accounts was sophisticated, educated and controlling. Ben's relationships were always more about fun and freedom, committed but casual. Sometimes Ben missed that vibe. The spontaneity of it; the free-fall feelings and being reckless- of being young with no responsibilities past who was next on the fuck list. But that had been years ago...more years than he wanted to remember at the moment.

 

Crossing over to the bar, he ordered a beer and took his seat by the tallest, most gorgeous stranger in the place...well a stranger to everyone else. Ben just knew him as Colby Butler, sexy pirate with a heart of gold. He decided right then to put thoughts of Michael to the back of his mind and just enjoy the illusion of freedom for a little while.

 

 

 

"Up to your old tricks, I see," Ben said laughingly.

 

"Nah, friend. They never get old. You haven't either by the way," Colby responded, letting his eyes travel up and down Ben's body.

 

Ben couldn't stop the flush he knew was gracing his face. The silver-tongued devil sitting next to him always knew what to say without having to be told how Ben was feeling. He would do well to remember that. "You haven't changed either," Ben answered simply.

 

"Ah..I don't know about that. I am in Pittsburgh, after all, and not the South of France or in Ireland. It feels a little funny being landlocked."

 

"It's funny. I usually feel the reverse with being near bodies of water. I always get a slight sense of foreboding but I guess that's kind of to be expected since I was twenty-three before I ever saw the sea."

 

Colby nodded. "I hear you've been traveling a bit these last few years though."

 

"Yeah. My last book did surprisingly well so even ten years later, I'm still doing book tours."

 

"A lot different than the circuit parties we used to do," Colby said, smiling wide at the memories.

 

Ben laughed. "A helluva lot different but just as satisfying."

 

"Really? More satisfying than a white party? As I recall you always left those sore and exhausted, never one or the other," Colby laughed.

 

"Yeah. My last one resulted in a sticky situation but it wasn't until years later I found out just how sticky," Ben said, cringing slightly at the memory.

 

"What happened?" Colby placed his hand under his chin looking expectantly at Ben. His green eyes sparkled with his innate mischief and Ben had to chuckle. He was always one for gossip.

 

"I had sex with my husband's best friend a few years before I met Michael," Ben said, smirking.

 

Colby laughed outright. "How did your husband take that news? More importantly, how was the best friend?"

 

Ben shook his head still chuckling. "Michael was not too happy. He kept asking the most invasive questions."

 

"And did you answer them?"

 

Ben thought back a moment. "To a degree, I did," he said.

 

"So what did you leave out?" Colby took a sip of his drink, steadily regarding Ben.

 

He shifted in his seat under the blazing heat of that look. Inhaling deeply he said, "That I've never come harder since that night. The guy is a top through and through; stamina and skill. Fuck, he would come and stay hard then come again. It only begins to describe the addiction Justin must feel where Brian is concerned. Those two..."

 

"What?" Colby said at the look of bewilderment gracing Ben's chiseled features. "Those two what?"

 

Ben continued. "Knowing of their relationship from beginning to its first and second ends, there's no way they would find contentment with anyone else. They fuck around, it's true, but the only person able to keep up with Brian and stand up to him without batting an eyelash is Justin Taylor. I used to describe Brian and Justin's relationship as the story of Icarus. You remember the story?" When Colby shook his head, Ben continued. "Daedalus, the father, and Icarus wanted to escape the Island of Crete so Daedalus built them wings made of wax and feathers. In doing so, he advised his son, Icarus, not to fly too close to the sun. In arrogance, Icarus did the exact opposite of what his father told him, flying so close that his wings melted and he crashed into the sea. For years, everyone had been warning Justin about Brian; that he wouldn't change and he was wasting his time. Sometimes he listened to everyone except himself and to Brian. The funny thing is that no one, Michael included, could see that if Brian was the sun- hot and willful, able to scorch with words or deeds- then the only one on equal footing would have been Justin. Justin is just as willful but in a chilling sort of way, mysterious and moody- able to embrace you one minute and cut you down the next second. He's like the moon which controls the sea currents and also balances out the sun. If the sun is shining here, the moon is also shining on the other part of the world. They're equals."

 

"That's very poetic, Ben, but why have this revelation now while we're speaking about you and Brian fucking?"

 

Ben laughed. "Because apparently, I can see what my husband is refusing to. Sadly, he is about to become Icarus and there isn't a damn thing I can do to stop him."

 

"I think there is plenty you can do," Colby said, a sardonic smile on his lips.

 

"What did you have in mind?" Ben smiled back. He knew Colby would come up with something.

 

"Your Michael seems pretty territorial."

 

"He is or at least he can be, which is why I think he's having such a difficult time with Justin being back. The only one ever able to really come between Brian and Michael was Justin, although that was never his intention."

 

"Well why not force Michael to make a decision?"

 

"I couldn't do that. Their friendship is almost sacred to Michael. They've known each other since they were fourteen. It would destroy Michael if it wasn't in tact at least in some form or fashion."

 

Colby shook his head. "Who's talking about destroying it? From what you're saying, if he doesn't let Brian and Justin work out their relationship on their own, he's going to force Brian to choose between him and Justin. If after all these years, they are finally getting their shit together, who do you think Brian is going to choose?"

 

"Justin," Ben whispered, swallowing hard. That would crush Michael. "So how would you handle it?"

 

"I've always found the best way to keep a lover from doing something I don't want him to do was to use his weakness against him." Colby moved a little closer to Ben, making Ben feel crowded but not in a bad way. He could feel the warmth radiating from the big man beside him and it transported Ben back to when he felt that heat on a regular basis. Ben mentally shook himself, clearing his head of memories best left unvisited. He refocused to hear the last of what Colby said. "Make him jealous."

 

"Michael would never buy that," Ben said laughingly.

 

"Really? Because from where I was standing this afternoon, he was worse than any jealous wife I've seen and I've seen plenty. Especially when they find out I love fucking men and women. Hell I've even joined a few couples."

 

"Whoa. Still a wild boy, huh?" Ben shook his head but his smile was firmly in place.

 

"I can give you a tutorial if you'd like," Colby returned chuckling. "But seriously...hang out with me. Show me the sights of my new town and in the process refocus Michael. Sounds like a win-win to me. Besides, he may even appreciate it."

 

"How so?" Ben cocked his head to the side genuinely curious. He couldn't picture how Michael would even begin to see the irony in what he was considering.

 

"Well after being around me, you'll be more apt to go home and beast fuck your man. I can't see how Michael wouldn't enjoy that."

 

Ben laughed but Colby was entirely right. Ordinarily Ben would have said such a statement made his old friend a conceited asshole but just being there with him put Ben in the mood to fuck....hard. Colby possessed a magnetism which made not wanting to fuck him a mystery. Smoldering good looks plus that accent made for a really potent aphrodisiac. He'd never met someone with that kind of drawing power except perhaps Brian. "Alright, so when do we start off?"

 

Colby smiled slyly, "How about tonight at Babylon? It's sure to get back to Michael quickly that we were there."

 

Ben thought a moment then shrugged. It couldn't hurt. "Let's go."

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Ted was still in Cynthia's office when Lindsey arrived. From what she could see they were in a serious discussion and she was loathe to interrupt but Cynthia had asked her drop by.

 

 

 

"So you're saying someone has been trying to change the encryption on their accounts? Both of them?" Cynthia asked.

 

"Quinn called me this afternoon about it," Ted answered. "He was doing some follow-up work on the paperwork Lindsey dropped off when he noticed the discrepancy when logging in."

 

"Wait, what's this about?" Lindsey asked injecting herself into the conversation since she heard her name.

 

Cynthia took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. "Apparently someone has been trying to access both Brian and Justin's accounts from within the bank. Their accounts are encrypted and on a separate network from the general accounts, both their business and personal accounts. Mr. Quinn noticed the potential hack this afternoon after you dropped off Justin's deposits."

 

"Shit, if that information gets out..." Lindsey said.

 

"Exactly," Ted and Cynthia answered simultaneously.

 

"I know that both Brian and Justin will not want to switch banks or lose Mr. Quinn's services but at this rate, they may not have a choice," Ted said. "Whoever was trying to enter the accounts were only off by a seven digits. The only thing that's keeping them from finding the missing links is that no one yet knows of Gus. On the back end of each encryption is the day the met which happens to be your son's birthday. They've been digging into everything. My friend at the IRS informed me of the potential breach just before Quinn called me."

 

"Can we have the encryption changed?" Cynthia asked.

 

"We could but it will take at least a month for the all of the changes to take effect. Based on how determined this guy is, we may not have that kind of time. Withdrawing the money from the accounts isn't even an option. Aside from the money from the vendors being wired directly into the accounts, the employees- all of us included- get paid from those accounts as well as the business expenses."

 

"Who the hell would do something like this?" Lindsey asked shaking her head.

 

"I don't know but based on them going after Justin, too, this has to be personal," Cynthia said. She reached for the phone and beginning to dial she said, "Ted, I need you to get Quinn in here yesterday. I'm calling Brian and Justin. Lindsey, I need you to put a call into Myrna Singleton and Amy. It's best if we all are on the same page. Oh and Ted, I have one more person who should be in on this."

 

"Who?"

 

"That Beanstalk who left here earlier just happens to have brains as well as beauty. He's the best hacker I know who also legally works as a computer analyst."

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

"Thank you for meeting me at such a late hour, Kip," Craig Taylor said. "But I have a business proposition to make and I thought we should be alone when we discussed it."

 

"Sure, no problem, Mr.Taylor. What can I do for you?"

 

"It's not so much what you can do for me but what I can do for you. He smiled sardonically.

 

"I don't understand," Kip responded a little on edge and bewildered. He handled the ad campaign for Taylor Electronics but outside of that, they didn't have any other dealings.

 

Craig closed the door softly, knowing the custodial staff would be starting their shift soon. He'd seen them unpacking their van when he entered the building. He took the seat in front of the desk forcing Kip Thomas to meet his eyes squarely. Clearing his throat he said, "I happen to know you are in need of a big account. Two ladies will be coming into Pittsburgh within the next three weeks to meet with you and Kinnetik, is that correct?"

 

"Yes it is. How did you know?" Kip asked genuinely curious.

 

Craig shook his head. "It doesn't matter how I gathered the information but that I offer you a viable solution. You need to eliminate Brian Kinney by any means necessary. The question is: are you willing to do that?" Craig watched Kip's eyes light up at the prospect of gaining the multi-million dollar account competition free.

 

"What did you have in mind, Sir? I can't do anything that would put my job in jeopardy though."

 

"Tsk, tsk, tsk," Craig made the small smile while shaking his head. "I wouldn't dream of asking you to put your job on the line."

 

"You wouldn't?" Kip straightened up in his chair a bit.

 

"No, of course not. You do excellent work for me. Why would I put that at risk?" Craig told the lie smoothly. The truth was that Kip's work was mediocre compared to Kinnetik but he would never go there because of the owner.

 

"Okay, Sir. So what would you like me to do?" Craig smiled again and began to detail the plan as Kip listened attentively. "I could definitely do that, Mr. Taylor. I owe a little payback of my own and it would be a pleasure to do that for you." He shook Craig's hand to seal the deal. Even though he would adjust the plan a little it still had merit especially if it meant destroying the competition from the inside out.

 

"Don't fail me, Kip." Craig left the office smiling wide as he left the office.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Cody would have liked nothing better than to be able to soothe Ethan from their run in with Justin but the truth was he'd asked for it. What Ethan didn't expect- and Cody didn't either- was the man that fought back with words looked just as capable of knocking the hell out of his former lover. He supposed he had himself to thank for that. Back in their Pink Posse days, he'd made sure Justin knew how to throw a punch as well as he could receive one. It had pissed him off when Justin opted not to end Chris Hobbs but in retrospect he could understand. Justin was angry when they'd met but he was a naturally non-violent person back then. Obviously that' s changed. He couldn't deny watching Justin stand up for himself gave him a massive hard-on which he would happily take care of if Ethan wasn't raving so much.

 

 

 

"And I can't believe he's back with that cheating ass," Ethan finished, pouring himself another drink.

 

"If I'm not mistaken you cheated, too. So that doesn't exactly give you the right to judge why he is with Brian," Cody said.

 

"That was a one-time thing, Cody. Brian repeatedly cheated on him."

 

Cody reached back to scratch a small section on his shoulder. "That isn't how it was and you know it, Ethan."

 

"Do I?" Ethan asked, snarling at Cody correcting him.

 

Cody looked stared steadily back at him. "Yes. You. Do. And why is this bothering you so much anyway?"

 

"Because."

 

"What? He's moved on. So have you. It can't seriously bother you that in all these years he's decided to go back to Brian."

 

Cody watched as Ethan took a large gulp of the alcohol. "It isn't just that, Cody," he mumbled.

 

"Then what is it? Fuck, Ethan just spill what the fuck it is." Ethan shook his head violently before taking another sip of the burgundy fluid. Cody got tired of waiting for an answer that would make sense. "Tell you what. Call me when you decide to be honest with yourself and then me." He pulled on his jacket heading toward the door without a backward glance.

 

 "Where the hell are you going?"

 

 "First, I'm going to take care of this boner and from there I'm going home."

 

 Ethan indignantly shot back. "So you're going to cheat on me? Is that it?" The clunk of the glass on the counter top sounded loud in an otherwise silent space.

 

 Cody turned to look at him, slight smile gracing his lips. He remembered something Justin told him a long time ago which caused him to smile wide. "It's not ‘cheating' if you know before it happens." And with that last parting shot, he slammed the door closed leaving Ethan alone to stew.

 

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

"You got a minute?" Brian barged into the office of Dr. Troy Bradley without knocking incurring a decidedly nasty look until recognition dawned in the doctor's eye.

 

Troy nodded, watching his uninvited guest warily. "Daphne okay?"

 

"Yes and no," Brian said as he took one of the cushioned seats in front of the massive desk. "Physically she seems to be healing. First, let me ask, how much do you really know about her transfer here to Allegheny General?"

 

"Not much beyond her saying the situation there was not conducive to her practice anymore. She felt she had outgrown the program there. When I asked Dr. Blake about it, he kept the conversation light and easy; focused basically on her skills as a surgeon and a consultant. I thought there was more to the entire matter but if you've noticed, she can be very closed off. Much like the rest of you." He smiled as he said the last.

 

Brian laughed. "I think she's known me too long. I've known her and Justin since they were seniors in high school. Before divulging anything I need to know what your intentions are toward her." At Troy's protest, Brian raised a sardonic brow before stating, "Don't hand me the shit you're about to shuck at me. I've seen the looks, the subtle touches and most of all, I'm a man no matter how gay I am. But understand this I protect my own...Daphne is part of that."

 

"I appreciate your honesty. May I be just as frank?"

 

"Please do. I wouldn't expect any less," Brian said letting his shoulders relax marginally. He was prepared to knock the good doctor on his educated ass if he detected any falsehood. Daphne's well being was not only important to Justin, it was equally or possibly more so to Brian. Because of her subtle bullying of Justin, he was back. He eventually told Brian of the conversation they had and how Daphne was right in what she said. Ultimately, Justin made the decision on his own but it took Daphne saying the words aloud that Justin would never have given voice to otherwise. For that alone, Brian owed Daphne a debt he felt he could never repay.

 

Troy cleared his throat before speaking. "The truth is I don't know what my intentions are yet. She lets me in but still keeps me at a distance. I know I love her but I don't know how. I love her as a friend certainly but sometimes..."

 

"Well let me tell you what I think," Brian said with his usual candor. "I think you would like nothing better than to make good on your promise to chain her to the bed." At Troy's shocked look, Brian laughed. "Don't deny it- it doesn't become you. None of us in that room were blind except perhaps Daphne and truthfully I don't think she was either. Just in denial and wary. Here's the situation in a nutshell, Doc." And Brian went on to give Troy the basic facts about Daphne's last relationship. "I'm trusting you with this information because I suspect your feelings for her run deeper than you're ready or willing to admit and that's fine. You have all the information to decide for yourself how you want to use it...or not. My only reason for saying anything at all is so that when she is in this hospital, be it working or as a patient, you're guarding her. I don't trust the son of a bitch any further than I can throw you. Usually I don't involve myself without being asked- that's not my way- but I won't sit idly by and watch shit happen to her. She doesn't deserve any backlash from that asshole."

 

"So what do you want me to do?" Troy asked.

 

Brian smiled. "You're a smart guy, Doc. You'll figure it out." Brian unfolded himself from the chair, standing to his full height. He was preparing to leave when Justin appeared hand poised to knock on the previously closed door. "Sunshine, fancy finding you on the other side of the door."

 

Justin smiled briefly. "Not for the reason you think, asshole. Did you have your conversation?"

 

"We're done here right, Doc?" Brian smiled and felt Justin stiffen momentarily and then relax.

 

Troy laughed. "Yeah we're done and I will take it all under advisement."

 

"See that you do," Brian warned again solemnly. Turning to Justin, he pulled him close, inhaling the subtle mix of innocence and sin that never failed to intoxicate him. "Now what was so important for you to come looking for me, Sunshine?" He moved his lips to the hot spot behind Justin's ear and laughed softly at the small catch of breath he heard.

 

"Not now. Jesus, don't you ever get enough," Justin chuckled.

 

"There's no such thing as enough. You know that as well as I do." Brian looked at his watch. "And if I don't service you in the next few minutes, you'll become a cunty fag and that just can't be tolerated."

 

Justin laughed outright and pushed out of Brian's eyes. "It's going to have to wait. Cynthia called, said it was important." Turning to Troy, Justin smiled. "I think you'd better check on your favorite patient. She's getting kinda antsy again. Do you need me to stop by Home Depot?"

 

"Why Home Depot?" Troy asked smiling.

 

"Because if you don't get your ass in there, you'll have to make good on your promise to chain her to the bed. Although I suspect you'd like that." Justin cocked his head studying the doctor who actually laughed.

 

"I can see why you two are together," Troy responded. "Brian said the same thing to me not ten minutes ago."

 

"Well, Doc, the one thing we aren't is blind," Justin answered laughingly. Refocusing his attention on Brian, he said, "We have to go." Brian looked up as if asking God for relief and release because the only business he wanted to get into was fucking Justin. Discerning Brian's thoughts which for a change were clearly visible, Justin pressed his forehead to his lover's. "Me too but business first. Based on how Cynthia sounded, you'll want to fuck me ten ways past Monday when it's over. So we'll go get this over with and then I'll..."

 

The subtle clearing of throat from the doctor broke up the rest of the sentence. "You two need Sex Addicts Anonymous. In the meantime, I better go check on Daphne." He shook his head as he led them out of his office, locking the door behind him.

 

Watching Troy hurry down the hall, Justin asked. "You think he loves her, Brian?"

 

Brian shrugged his broad shoulders. "He has all the information he needs. Let's see what he does with it."

 

 

 

Justin nodded as they walked toward the elevator.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Arriving home after leaving Debbie's and having his meeting with Mel, Michael was shocked his house was actually empty...as in ‘No Ben.' Yanking his cell phone out of his pocket, frown embedded in his normally happy features, he hit each key to Ben's number with derision. He wasn't happy letting Ben go out with Colby anyway but Ben had told him he would be there when Michael got home...Strike one. Michael's anger grew steadily as the message for Ben's voicemail registered. No matter what was going on before, Ben never decided to disregard a call from Michael-no even when he was giving a lecture.

 

Entering Woody's about ten minutes later didn't make Michael feel any better. The bar was packed with twinks and leather daddies as always but Ben. And what was worst was Colby wasn't there either. He spotted Drew and Em over in the corner, having a cozy conversation. He thought about not interrupting them but Ben was God knew where doing God knew what with that tall Irish former college buddy of his so the thought of not bothering Emmett was relegated to a second thought only.

 

Michael strolled over, putting on his cheeriest persona even though he was feeling anything but. It's probably nothing anyway. "Hey Em. Drew, how are you?"

 

"We're fine, Michael. How are you?" Emmett's voice was cordial but Michael could hear the wariness in it. Admittedly, their last meet up didn't end its usual good feelings.

 

"I'm great. I got to see J.R., which is always a blast."

 

"That's good. So what are you doing here? I thought this wasn't on your lists of ‘Places to Be' to be anymore," Emmett said lightly shrugging but Michael knew what he was getting at. The truth was Michael had neglected the relationships which had meant the most to him, especially when he didn't have David nor Ben. He could admit that but it didn't mean he had to take Emmett's comment humbly.

 

"It isn't." Michael said just as nonchalantly. "But Ben said he would be here. Have you seen him?"

 

"No, otherwise we would be laughing it up with him, don't you think?"

 

"He was with his old college friend, Colby."

 

"Well fancy that, Ben has a friend in town. I hadn't heard since we're newly back." Emmett stepped down from the elevated barstool preparing to leave Michael there. "Drewsie, are you ready to head to the club? I think it's time to shake your ass a little before I rock you to sleep." He leaned in, placing a gentle kiss on Drew's lips before moving past Michael. "If he isn't here, you may want to check there especially if Colby is new here and gay. It's how Godiva introduced me to everything and everyone when I got here."

 

Emmett had a point so Michael decided to tag along. "Look, Emmett, I'm sorry about our fight."

 

He stopped in the middle of the sidewalk on the way to Babylon. "You don't have to be sorry, Michael. But you do have to realize that we have all grown in our own ways and that includes Brian and Justin. So if you can accept that well then good. Perhaps we can all become close like we were again but if you can't...well then you're going to have to learn to live with it."

 

The line to Babylon was long as usual. Because Emmett was a regular and Brian had given specific instructions about who was not to wait in line, they all moved up to the front for immediate entrance. Blake was at the bar alone which on any given day, Michael would have thought that was unusual since he was a recovering meth addict. "Hey Blake, where's Ted?"

 

"Stuck at the office but he should be here soon," he answered.

 

"Mind if I wait around with you?" Michael asked before ordering a non-alcoholic beer. He ordered Blake another water since that was what he'd been drinking when he came in. "By the way, have you seen Ben? He has a new friend in town and Emmett said they may be here."

 

Blake shook his head. "I haven't seen him, yet. The crowd is unbelievable tonight and there was a line around the corner when I came up."

 

"Yeah, I heard Poppers was closed for some event."

 

He nodded then. "A couple of bears, Ernie and Patrick got married this evening and that where their reception is being held since that's where they met."

 

"That's great. Ben and I talked about making it official here since we're already married in Canada."

 

"We've never talked about it. The option still feels a little too new, you know?" Blake shrugged.

 

Michael nodded in response. As he stood there sipping on his beverage, he spotted Colby long before he saw Ben. Colby, with his smoldering good looks, was hard to miss partying in the middle of the dance floor with his back turned to Michael. His broad shoulders and muscular arms glistened as the strobe lights hit the beads of sweat over and over, enticing the watcher to lean forward for a closer look. As Colby turned his head slightly to the left, Michael noticed a thick lock of hair fell over eyes he knew were green. A hand with a wedding ring Michael recognized instantly reached up to brush that single lock back onto his forehead. Their foreheads became close as they began moving in unison to the heavy beat pounding from the sound system. 

 

Before Michael realized he had moved, he stood next to them watching as Colby ran his hands sinuously down Ben's torso. It was unbearably hot in the center of the club; the amount of body heat alone was stifling and the lights compounded the feeling. His eyes narrowed as Ben returned the gesture, laughing at whatever it was Colby said over the constant thumpa-thumpa. Sweat poured off each of them as Michael watched unnoticed even though he stood right there. When Colby reached to brush the lock from Ben's forehead in the same manner...Oh hell NO. "There you two are," he said with a tight smile on his face meant for Ben alone. "I went to Woody's but you weren't there."

 

"Well Colby wanted to see what Babylon was all about so tonight was as good as any," Ben answered, still rocking to the beat of the music and flashing smile after smile at Colby. "Everything taken care of at Debbie's?"

 

Michael swallowed hard and narrowed his eyes. The least he could do was stop dancing. He folded his arms in the usual pouting manner when he was frustrated but quickly unfolded them, opting to ball his fists at his sides instead. "Yeah everything is fine at Ma's. Melanie and J.R. are in town. I really need to talk to you about that."

 

Ben stopped dancing. Finally. "What's going on? Everything okay?"

 

"Technically everything is fine but Mel and Lindz are getting a divorce and..." Michael let his sentence trail off, remembering Colby was there. "You know what, I'll talk to you later at home." He turned to go but Colby stopped him. Michael's natural inclination was to disengage his wrist from the big, warm hand covering it but to do so would cause a scene. He didn't need to give voice or action to the jealousy roiling through his blood on the count of the tall Irishman.

 

But someone did know. Colby noticed Michael's reactions indicated by the slight tremble of his broad chest. He was actually chuckling? "Hey, Michael. Why don't you stay here and dance with your man; Ben, I'll see ya later. My cousin just sent a text message and I really have to be somewhere. Thanks for showing me this place. I had a lot of fun," he said, then bending stole a quick kiss from Ben's open lips. It wasn't long but enough to ruffle the man-child Ben was married to. He mentally chuckled again. His plan was shaping up nicely and if Michael played his cards right, he would certainly reap the reward of Colby's presence. "Well talk soon." And he was gone before either of them had a chance to respond. He looked back only to make brief eye contact with Ben and chuckled again.

 

 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Making his way to the coat check area, he hurriedly collected his leather jacket while reaching for his cell phone. He listened to the follow-up message Cynthia had left on his voicemail. She was still at the office and asked that he join her as soon as possible. What the fuck was she still doing at the office at ten at night? He briskly walked in the direction of Kinnetik which wasn't too far from Babylon. He guessed that made sense since the owner of both establishments may have needed to move seamlessly between the two. The more he learned about Brian Kinney, the more he respected the man. Ben told him that Kinnetik used to be a bathhouse where men could fuck for little or nothing. Yet Kinney bought the building in what was considered a seedy part of town and made it a multi-million dollar business. Colby couldn't see anything other than guts and genius in that brand of thinking.

 

He called when he arrived as Cynthia had instructed and moved to the side of the building nearest the alley. Although there was a security staff on duty who could have let him in, she had explained that the meeting itself had to remain absolutely discreet. So when the hidden door swung open, Colby stepped through immediately and without trepidation. The long hallway was just as elegant as the main offices although there was much more artwork limning the walls, all with the bold yet elegant scrawl of Justin Taylor. Colby was amazed at the amount of talent and personal communication exhibited in each work. Most of all he understood why they were displayed in this private hall instead of out front. Many of them displayed the owner at probably his most honest and open; painted from a place of love and devotion to the subject. Colby who was generally not so analytical regarding art discerned it all immediately viewing each individual piece. He could only imagine how many times Brian Kinney must have felt the same.

 

Stepping through the doors at the end of the hall, Cynthia rushed forward, hugging him around the waist. He bent lifting her up to make it easier for them to embrace as he often did much to her embarrassment when in front of others. But to him she would always be his "Elf," so she bared it with good grace. He looked around at the shocked and amused faces assembled as Cynthia and he took their places around the conference room table. Brian and Justin stood at the head of the room. Goddamn they were gorgeous. Dark and Light. Colby instantly understood why Cynthia referred to them as Sin and Sex, since both radiated those ideas in waves. He also began to understand Michael's jealousy a little more and his conversation with Ben about them a little more, meeting up with them for the first time. The way they looked at each other as if they could read the others' mind. Colby suspected if there wasn't a meeting they would be on the conference table instead of sitting at it. His suspicions were confirmed when Justin leaned over to whisper something to Brian who raised a sardonic brow with a slight smirk on his lips while looking directly at Colby. He made out when Brian whispered, ‘Later' back and the bright smile Justin came away from the exchange with. Yes. Those two belonged together.

 

Cynthia had been busy firing up the computer and the two he suspected were accountants- based on the financial records sprawled out in front of them- were deep in conversation and hadn't noticed the two occupants at the head of the table. The tall blonde next to him did.

 

 

 

"Magnificent aren't they?" She asked in soft tones. "A king and his prince with queen tendencies." Her laughter was soft but good-natured. Colby looked at her fully then, wrenching his eyes from the couple at the head of the table. "I'm Lindsey Petersen."

 

"Colby Butler," he said shaking her proffered hand. "They are. How well do you know them?"

 

She laughed. "Brian I've known since forever- more years than I care to remember. We have a son together. Justin, I've known since the night they met."

 

"Now you work for them?"

 

"Just Justin but Brian and I will always be beyond close," she answered candidly. She poured herself a glass of water and sipped carefully. "Cynthia has told me a little about you."

 

"Oh did she, now? And what did she say." Damn the woman was fucking gorgeous.

 

"That you were doing some work in trying to keep Brian and Justin from meeting interference from one particular problem. Also that you are the best computer analyst she knew which would be a good thing considering what is going on."

 

"She didn't get into much with me over the phone, just ordered me here like she would have if we were still kids." Colby smiled at her laugh.

 

"Yeah, she can be like that. She's worked for Brian all these years so she was bound to pick up some of his more charming traits such as bossiness and high-handedness."

 

Colby laughed outright. "If he refined those skills she already had, I should like to beat the hell out of him for it. She was always a little blonde tyrant."

 

The subject of conversation brought him a tumbler of Jim Beam, raising an eyebrow. "I should take it back since I'm such a tyrant."

 

"You should do no such thing, Elf," he said grabbing the glass before she could change her mind and gulping down the amber liquid causing both Lindsey and Cynthia to laugh in response.

 

"Are we almost ready?" The subtly impatient voice with a sexy rasp came from the head of the table.

 

"Just waiting on Myrna to check in on SKYPE, Brian," Cynthia answered.

 

"I'll call her, Cynthia," Justin said dialing her number quickly as Colby looked on.

 

"They really are a pair aren't they?" he asked his companions.

 

Lindsey laughed. "You have no idea. As impatient as Brian is to get out of here-or better yet for us to get out-believe me when I tell you Justin is just as anxious."

 

"Speaking of which," Cynthia cut in. "I've found you a place to stay until your condo is ready."

 

"Really? I thought I was staying with you," Colby said.

 

"No. My condo only has one bedroom and I wouldn't want you sleeping on the sofa."

 

"Well fine I'll take the bed and you stay on the sofa," he said smiling brightly.

 

"No and don't be a jerk when Lindsey has offered you the guest room in her house equipped with its own bathroom and a park where you can run in the mornings."

 

Colby looked to Lindsey then who sat with a small smile on her face. "Why would you do that? You don't know me."

 

"No I don't but I do know Cynthia plus Brian and Justin live right up the road. It's a win-win."

 

"What about your son? Wouldn't he have a problem with some strange man, not his father, in the house?"

 

"Gus is a little more open about things than you can imagine. He knows his father is gay and that I'm a lesbian so there really won't be that much difficulty in your being there."

 

 Shit. She's a lesbian? I had such a totally different vibe from her and my gaydar isn't broken. HM... "Well okay. As long as there isn't a problem. Thanks."

 

"You're welcome," she smiled again. Yeah...we'll definitely see.

 

 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Mark Townsend sat there under the watchful eyes of the four men who offered him a lot of money for success in cracking the Kinney-Taylor accounts and threatened his family if he didn't. It was a double-edged sword being the personal banker of men of power. They were far less conscientious than his female clientele who would have the decency to threaten having him murdered, not his family while he watched. Whatever two of the most successful men in Pittsburgh did to offend the four men sitting in his office it must have been a huge deal.

 

 

 

"Gentlemen, I assure you I am doing everything I can to get you the information you're looking for but again the files are encrypted and not so easily breakable. I have tried every numeric combination I could think of. The problem is in the last seven numbers, letters or symbols. If there is anything which links the accounts of Mr. Kinney and Mr. Taylor, it would be in the last sequence and unless someone has any ideas this meeting has to be over. It would be pointless to continue at this time." He just wanted to get out of there. Sitting there with the former police Commissioner and Craig Taylor was uncomfortable enough, especially the latter. That a man could want to destroy his own son like that? That was a new brand of evil Mark had never experienced in his life.

 

"Mark, what kind of information would you need? You said a possible connection between the two accounts but how is that even possible?" Samuel, Jr. asked.

 

"Honestly, Sir, I don't know. All I can tell you from the encryption I've been able to discern so far, a lot of the same patterns appear in the order. So it stands to reason that there is another sequence which shares the same patterns as the rest."

 

"But nothing repeats within the accounts?"

 

"Exactly, Mr. Hobbs. Nothing repeats within the same account," Mark said, partially relieved that at last they would understand the full dilemma.

 

"Well you'll keep working at it," Craig Taylor said. "In the meantime Kip Thomas is on board with the plan. You could smell the desperation on him."

 

The other three nodded their assent to whatever plan they had formed in this quest for vengeance. If they had bothered to ask him about Kip Thomas, he would have advised them that in his quest for success, he was and always would be a loose cannon. Mark was working at Ryder Advertising in the Accounting department before taking this job as a financial consultant when Gardner Vance fired him in the merger. But he kept his own counsel. The truth was he liked Brian Kinney. He was hard-driven and harsh but he was an honest man (perhaps to a fault) and he was brilliant at what he did with Ryder and then Vanguard. The same could be said about Craig Taylor's son, Justin. They were out, proud and queer but more than that they were successful. They had to be to have a personal banker and multiple encrypted accounts on a separate network. Only the obscenely wealthy did and these four weren't on the hidden networks. Only seven members of their current clientele were; the other four belonging to politicians and one doctor who Quinn also handled. He tried to access Dr. Daphne Chanders account as well and noticed some of the same sequential patterns in the Taylor and Kinney accounts but again he kept that information to himself.

 

"Townsend, you'll let us know if you find anything, h'm?" Senior.

 

"Yes, Sir, I will," he answered. Although it was unlikely it would be anytime soon. If he tried to access them any more within twenty-four hours, the accounts would lock and because he was logged into the system, all arrows would point to him. What good was having a family if you couldn't support them? He had too many people depending on his salary. His mother. His father. His grandmother, wife and three children-one in college. He couldn't afford to lose his job over carelessness and rich people. He expressed a heavy sigh of relief as they filed out of his office still speaking of plans to ruin Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor. God help them.

 

 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Melanie laid in bed finally having put J.R. to bed. She was never so happy she'd sprung for a two-bedroom suite as J.R. was difficult at best to deal with lately. Truthfully, if the divorce proceedings weren't handled soon, she would basically be more destitute than she was in danger of becoming. She needed to get back to work and every day she was in Pittsburgh instead of home in Toronto, was costing her much needed money both in salary and bonuses for her case win ratio. Home. What kind of home was it without Lindsey and yes even Gus there? But Lindz had a new life, a new job. She sounded self-assured and confident. Happy like she had when they'd first met. Admittedly, she used Lindsey to take care of home while she went off to play savior. Maybe if she admitted that to Lindsey she would go back to Toronto with them to resume her role as wife and mother to their children. Fuck. Who am I kidding? Melanie thought about all she was learning about Lindsey third-hand. The type of work she did for Justin had been Lindsey's dream for as long as Melanie could remember. The fact that Justin had given it to her and she didn't have to compromise her schedule to be there for Gus, was the best of both worlds for Lindsey. And Melanie couldn't feel more miserable, more betrayed or more angry about it. Lindsey was being selfish and picking her child over their child. And now their child wanted to stay with Lindsey and her son? NO! That would not, could not happen. Aside from the fact she had given birth to J.R., both Lindsey and Michael paid her child support under the third party adoption. If Lindsey left the home, why shouldn't she cover the expenses through alimony and child support? That was the price Melanie would exact for Lindsey's freedom. Sure it would be more beneficial if Lindsey just told Justin where he could stick the job and moved back to Toronto since J.R. staying in Pittsburgh wasn't an option because Melanie wasn't staying regardless of the new marriage law in Pittsburgh. She liked her life in Toronto. Her career was finally going in the direction she wanted it. The house had shaped up well and the equity was building. She had friends and colleagues of her own. She didn't want to give that up so Lindsey could have access to J.R. and she shouldn't have to. She wouldn't plain and simple. It was easy enough to convince Michael to side with her against Lindsey. Now she just had to convince a judge.

 

 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Ben listened attentively (and patiently) as Michael detailed his conversation with Melanie earlier in the evening. The fact that Lindsey had even filed for divorce was a shock. Even more of a shock that Michael had decided to side with Melanie. Ben remembered the custody battle ten years prior and the resulting effects. The demise (or near demise) of Brian and Michael's friendship. Melanie and Lindsey's subsequent in-house separation (how the fuck did that work again?). The near destruction of Melanie and Lindsey's relationship in its entirety pieced back together because the near-death experience following the bombing of Babylon and the death of Dusty. It was chaos and the fact that Michael was willingly returning to the "Fight of the Lesbians" was beyond Ben's comprehension and he told him so.

 

 

 

"You don't understand, Ben. I could lose the few rights I have because Lindsey is in the mood to assert herself with Melanie."

 

"Oh I think I understand perfectly, Michael," he said just as sternly. "You're willing to toss your hat in the ring between them again and for what? To assert yourself over Lindsey as J.R.'s dad? What the hell is wrong with you? When have you ever known Lindsey to be unfair? And honestly, you could see J.R. more if she's in Pittsburgh than when she's in Toronto. Have you even thought about why Melanie would ask for your help in the first place?"

 

"Because she needs it since Lindsey isn't in the mood to be reasonable," Michael said heatedly.

 

"What is exactly is unreasonable about wanting a better life for yourself than staying home and being treated more like a maid than a wife? I'm sure Lindsey had just as many goals when she agreed- against her better judgment, I might add- to move to Toronto in the first place but we know how Melanie operates. Everything takes a backseat to her career goals, including and most especially what Lindsey wants. How would you feel if I did that to you?"

 

"What's that supposed to mean? You wouldn't."

 

Ben exhaled an exasperated sigh. "It means you should not have involved yourself in their business, Michael. Ultimately, one or both of them are going to lose but you'll be the biggest loser of them all. If J.R. has to go back to Toronto, you'll be a huge part of the cause and alienate her further. If she gets to stay here in Pittsburgh, you'll incur Melanie's wrath. Let's not even begin to talk about what Lindsey will think of you passed what she probably thinks of you now."

 

"I don't even know why I bothered talking to you about this anyway, Ben."

 

"Because you know I'm going to tell you what I think honestly. I love you but I don't have to agree with what you're doing and if you think that's what our marriage has been about these last ten years, then you're sadly mistaken. I will not lie to you to spare your feelings. I think you're being a jerk right now in a couple areas of your life but especially in the custody of J.R."

 

"And what about you?" Michael shot back.

 

"What about me, Michael?"

 

"You and Colby hugged up when I arrived at Babylon. Telling me you were going to be some where you weren't."

 

"Oh- I'm sorry. I thought this was a marriage not a maximum-security prison. Besides it's funny you should mention my friendship with Colby. I'm not giving it up if that's what you're about to demand and for the record...It's no different than what I've had to put up with for the first four years of our relationship with you and Brian."

 

"I chose you, Ben."

 

"And I chose you, too, Michael but I never asked you to give up your friendship with Brian. So don't even think or dare to ask me to give up mine with Colby." Ben took the stairs two at a time, needing a shower to wash the sweat and anger from his body. Again he thought, what the hell is wrong with Michael? Standing underneath the water he decided just to enjoy the act of getting clean.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

Hours after Cody had left, Ethan was still fuming over his parting words. It's not cheating if you know about it before it happens. That philosophy rankled then as much as it in Ethan's present day because it was true. And it was where he had gone wrong with Justin, the best thing that ever come into his life. Twelve years later and it still hurt. It didn't help that he lived in the same apartment, never bothering to upgrade when his career took off. He'd figured he'd always have time to do it later. He was wrong. Currently he worked as a music teacher at Pittsburgh Institute of Fine Arts as a music teacher hoping to be inspired again. Once his grandfather died and he canceled some important engagements to be at the funeral, his career had fizzled out. When it came down to the bottom line, no one was compassionate about family loyalty and the like. It was an extremely expensive lesson to learn. His agent had dropped him after years of representing him and the gigs had dried up as well. Meanwhile, he'd kept abreast of Justin's career. His talent, amazing back when they were students, soared to new levels as he grew into full blown adulthood. And he was still with the man he'd called the love of his life.

 

That pissed Ethan off most of all. Both Brian and Justin's responses made him feel cheaper than a two-pound whore on the streets of London. How dare they? To say that he and Ethan meant nothing to each other was one thing but to be blatantly be called a mistake? All Brian's money hadn't held on to Justin during their love affair. Ethan provided what Justin needed in the way of romance; something Brian lacked entirely. As he sat reflecting on how they looked in front of the diner, he didn't think Brian had learned romance but that Justin had forgotten what it was like to have it. Not having it turned Justin bitter like the Brian Ethan remembered. Pulling out his cell phone, he sent a simple sentence to Justin's cell phone. He didn't know if he still had the same number but it was worth a shot. Pouring himself another glass of wine, his third or thirtieth glass-he wasn't sure-he basked in the glow of new possibilities and renewing more than a passing acquaintance with a certain blond."

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

The cell phone buzzed loudly across the table in an otherwise silent room. Myrna had finally rung in with the SKYPE and Mr. Quinn had faxed her a copy of the encryption access report he pulled up on Brian and Justin's accounts. Justin grabbed it hurriedly. It reminded him of a vibrator short-circuiting from overuse. He shook the mental image out of his mind, body stiffening not a moment later from the message displayed.

 

Ethan: You're still MY MUSE!

 

 

 

Justin closed his eyes briefly trying to erase the memories of times gone by when Ethan would call him that and the accompanying nausea from subsequent events.

 

 

 

"What is it?" Brian asked him, hazel eyes staring intensely into his blue ones.

 

"It's nothing." Justin regarded him solemnly, hoping he would buy the lie for now.

 

 

 

He had no intention of responding to Ethan but he knew Brian. He became very aggressive when jealous even if he knew he had nothing to worry about. Justin smiled slighty at the memory of Brian finding he and Michael fully dressed sleeping in his bed. He literally destroyed hours upon hours of work he and Michael had put in out of sheer vindictiveness and unfounded jealousy. Not funny when it happened but years later, it made Justin want to laugh out loud and rub his nose in it. Then there was the kiss that even sitting there in the meeting in the conference room stole his breath and made him tremble inwardly. When Brian had found out about Ethan but didn't tell Justin he'd known, Brian set out on a dangerous path of seduction with what started out as a simple kiss. It went from love to passion then calculation mixed with manipulation. It finally culminated in dispassion and anger. Justin remembered wanting Brian more than his next breath- far more than he wanted Ethan or anything he had to offer- when Brian abruptly stopped and told him to go take a shower. He had finally gotten what he was missing from Brian in the months leading to Justin's betrayal and Brian rejected him. Both were hurt by the foolish actions of a nineteen year old Justin who didn't know what true love was then. Even when Brian went the passive-aggressive route, it cut deep and quick into Justin's heart. He remembered the first time Brian had done it. Brian had offered five-thousand dollars for a drawing in exchange for Justin not attending a party that the former owner of Babylon, Saperstein, was giving. When Justin responded, ‘It's not for sale' and Brian said, ‘No just you are,' that hurt him deeply although they'd never spoken about that moment nor the narrowly-escaped rape Saperstein had planned for Justin at the party. There was just some things it was better for Brian Kinney not to know.

 

 

 

As if he'd heard the thoughts in Justin's head, Brian smiled. "You'll tell me later."

 

"I already told you it's nothing," Justin protested but he was grinning.

 

"Oh- so I need to work you over until you sing, huh?"

 

Before Justin could answer, Myrna chimed in with her findings but not before Brian grabbed a hold of Justin's thigh underneath the table, dangerously close to where Justin needed his hand most. "Mr. Quinn, is there another account like these which can be traced back to Brian and Justin in some form? Like if, whoever this Townsend guy is, will be crack the codes if he gains access to that account?"

 

Justin's sharp intake of breath caused everyone to look in his and Brian's direction. Brian kept his countenance neutral whereas there was a tell-tale flush on Justin's cheeks- he could feel it. Brian looked to him innocently, shrugging one shoulder subtly in response to the looks they were garnering. "If you have something to say, Sunshine, now's the time."

 

"Daphne," Justin gasped out.

 

"Excuse me, Justin? Did I just here you call a woman's name?" Myrna asked chuckling. She may have been on the computer but she knew if she was sitting beside Brian Kinney, his would have been the name she was calling.

 

Justin took a deep breath to calm his fast-fraying nerves. Brian was making little circles on the head of his dick through his jeans and he felt the nuance of every flick in every fiber if his being. His skin tingled in every tangible, incendiary way and all because of the man beside him who wanted answers. "Daphne's accounts," he repeatedly seemingly unable to focus passed the next second. Damn Brian. Oh I am going to make him pay for this later. "Hers, Brian's and mine have some of the same codes plus the last seven digits are the same. They're the day Brian and I met which is also Gus' birthday and the time we...um...we...um..."

 

"Fucked," Brian supplied candidly with a sardonic smirk on his face. "Hey, it held great significance for Justin and I and it was definitely easy to remember."

 

A deep rumble of laughter came from further down the table followed by a couple of snickers from Lindsey and Cynthia. Quinn and Ted looked shocked, horrified and amused by turns whereas Myrna outright laughed. "Mr. Kinney everything Justin has ever told me about you is true."

 

"Oh and just what has Justin been saying?" he asked, head cocked to the side studying Justin. He still had a solid grip on the area of Justin's thigh he'd been dreaming of kissing since they left the loft earlier in the day.

 

"I'm sure he'll tell you later, Mr. Kinney," Myrna said with a smile.

 

"Damn right he will. Now Myrna, Mr. Kinney is dead-well at least my father is-so please just call me Brian. Seeming how you're going to be in my life for quite sometime, I think it's best."

 

"Okay Brian. If you two can stop playing "Stroke the Salami" up under the table, maybe I can get some more answers." Brian nodded but didn't let go of Justin's thigh. She chuckled briefly in response. "Mr. Quinn, how soon can we have the accounts re-encrypted? We really don't have much time the way this is going. Do you know who is trying to do this?"

 

"I have a theory, Myrna but I think it should be discussed in private."

 

"Okay, fair enough," she said. "Do you two know who is trying to sabotage you?"

 

Justin spoke up then. "I can't prove it because technically he doesn't have much of anything left since his wife divorced him while he was in jail. However, former police chief Jim Stockwell has better motive than anyone as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure he would want to reach out to his former supporters to see how they feel about enacting a little revenge. Because of Brian, Stockwell was indicted instead of elected. On the back end, it would have cost him millions of dollars, which in his current state is near impossible for him to pay back. The fact that they are looking in to me as well as Brian makes this about possibly two things: a vendetta or they're incredibly nosy. I vote for personal vendetta."

 

"By why you?" Colby asked genuinely curious.

 

"First, Brian is untouchable. Everything that someone has tried to do to him, he hasn't been broken nor willing to take life rolling over and playing dead. That makes him a threat and a target. Secondly nothing pisses a homophobic straight guy off more than a successful fag and Brian and I are two of them. Also because of the society Lindsey and I grew up in, they could now feel threatened that there are two men who fuck each other- well and often I might add- who have an unknown amount of cash. Buying power is the game in the world where I'm from."

 

 Lindsey nodded. "That's it in a nutshell, Colby. The affluent neighborhood where Justin and I come from breeds men in high-power positions. There is no question they would feel threatened by Brian and Justin being able to access that world simply because their gay. If they were heteros, they would be welcomed with open arms and lauded for their achievements."

 

Colby looked back at Brian and Justin. "Is that what the two of you want?"

 

Brian answered first. "No. What I want is to fuck and live my life. I enjoy the finer things but I don't really give a shit about the things they care about. My money brings me the power to control what I want and it has nothing to do with politics. The whole situation with Stockwell was two-fold; a little thing called "justice" served my way and because he was threatening everything I held dear at the time; everything which made Liberty Avenue what it was and still is."

 

"As for me, I wanted to be an equal in my non-relationship with this asshole." Brian snickered while squeezing Justin's leg again. "So basically I have what I want already. I enjoy my business and Brian fully. I don't want to go back to the WASP nest."

 

Cynthia turned toward Colby. "How soon do you think you can have the accounts protected again?"

 

Colby shook his head. "It's not as simple as all that, Elf. The problem isn't in the encryption. It's that the accounts will be unprotected for a time until the wall is back up. That's the major issue. Based on what was presented here between Ted and Quinn, there isn't a way to move the accounts without upending the business accounts as well as the personal ones. The personal accounts are a bit more manageable because nothing goes into or out of them without paper checks or deposits. The business issue is a bit different because all funds into the accounts are wired electronically. Unfortunately, that's when you become a sitting duck."

 

"Well we better think of something quickly," Quinn said. "Townsend has tried all three accounts almost to the maximum access limit for today. If I do anymore, Colby here won't be able to get started for at least twenty-four hours nor will you all be able to access anything in the accounts. It's in inbred security system. Townsend knows it as well as I do which is why he's stopped. Furthermore if we bring in the other person who has your information, that person cannot remain secret and will be as much a target as Townsend was for this treachery. He has too much to lose by not helping them. The other person does as well."

 

Brian nodded. "Cynthia there is a sealed envelop in the safe with your name on it. You should get that now." Cynthia rose and moved further into the room without question as Brian continued. "Oh grab the one for Lindsey as well, too. As you know, I like to plan for every eventuality. It's the charming part of my controlling personality. For some reason Justin has also picked up the trait. The contents of those envelopes stay within this room unless otherwise specified. Agreed?" Everyone nodded including Myrna.

 

 

 

As Cynthia arrived back to the table a wary look in her blue eyes, she handed the other envelope to Lindsey who mirrored the same look. Justin was hard pressed not to laugh. "Open them," he said trying to contain the bright smile threatening to burst forth. Brian and he had discussed at length the contents of the envelopes. Because Brian didn't want to use his regular attorney, Justin suggested that Myrna draw up the agreements.

 

 

 

"Oh my God, are you two..." Lindsey said as her hand flew to her mouth. "Have you lost your mind, Justin? I can't accept this especially not now with all Melanie is trying to do."

 

"You can and you will, Lindsey, just as Cynthia will accept her new position. Being a partner in each of the companies you manage will not only protect Brian and I, it also gives the two of you more stability. Technically, you'd be doing he and I a favor."

 

Brian said, "Justin holds two-percent of Kinnetik and I hold the same in his. This makes Cynthia and I equal partners; just as it does you and Justin, Lindsey. All you have to do is sign. Justin and I only have to date the documents. So shut the fuck up and sign the goddamn papers already."

 

"This should buy us all some time, right?" Justin looked between Quinn, Colby and Ted for confirmation.

 

"Yeah it will," Ted who had been silent for most of the meeting said. "But time is still of the essence. The names can be added to the accounts instantly but I would warn against it. Until we know who is behind this and why, it would be best to keep your names as disassociated with partnership as possible. From what Quinn has been saying, these people are not above using others to meet their desired end."

 

"Quinn, how soon can you set up two more accounts?" Brian asked.

 

"Now but why?"

 

"I want you to set them up now with the same encryption on the back end but here's what we need to do in the meantime...We'll use each other's birthdays-Quinn, Myrna and Colby add yours to the list. Justin will provide you with Daphne's. Since the back end will have the same date of ‘Gus and Us' it will seal the encryption and the accounts will be easy for the three of you to locate. While we're waiting for the new codes that Colby will provide, Lindsey will hold onto half of Justin's company and Cynthia will hold on to half of mine. When the money shows up into the business accounts, you-Quinn and Ted-are to take half of the revenue and place it into Cynthia and Lindsey's accounts. This should buy Colby the time he needs to complete what the hell he has to do and minimize the individual risk to Justin and myself."

 

 "Sounds like a good idea," Myrna said.

 

 "I don't really have bad ones," he responded smilingly. She returned the gesture. Justin was right about her. "Meanwhile, I have a favor to ask of you, Justin. The creators of the Avlossa clothing line account is coming up in a little less than three weeks. I'd like you two to handle it."

 

 "Brian, that account is worth about ten million from what I understand," Justin said.

 

"Exactly. Which is why I'm asking you two to make it happen. I trust my staff but with Remson, Iconix and Brown needing new campaigns, they won't have the time to devote to it. Between your two locations, you have more staff than I do but I would really like it if you could handle it personally. I know Lindz will jump in if need be to get the project completed. I'm even wiling to pay you double your usual fee plus...perks." Brian leaned in to nibble at the tender spot he knew Justin loved.

 

"Oh alright," Justin said. "But it's because you're paying me twice as much as I would normally charge. As far as the perks: you're such a slut."

 

"Good thing for you, I am."

 

"Okay you two, settle down," Myrna said sternly but her lips twitch as she held back the smile forming. "Brian, I'll have the contract forwarded to you by morning. Standard terms and agreements with the new figure attached. Justin, do not worry, I will be handling this myself remembering your aversion to my assistant. We don't need you having to run for Lotramin due to itchy dick. Colby, Quinn and Ted, please keep me informed from start to finish. Justin will give you my cell number. And Lindsey and Cynthia- congratulations. I have to go deal with the tiny blond tyrant's contracts before he queens out on me."

 

Justin smiled. "Love you too, Myrna."

 

"Yeah. Don't love, just send money," said as she disconnected.

 

"We're all clear on the particulars?" Brian asked as he looked around to each set of eyes regarding him. Satisfied with what he saw, he nodded. "Okay so Justin and I are out of here. Any questions, hold them until tomorrow. Unless the building is on fire or there is some life or death emergency, our phones better not ring. Got it?"

 

Justin turned to look at him then, the mischievous smirk Brian ached to kiss away and the slow blink Justin always did when he was being particularly naughty showed itself for the first time in hours. "Race you home?"

 

Grabbing him about the waist and burying his face in Justin's neck he asked, "What do I get if I win?"

 

"Me." Brian could feel the full grin which surfaced on the softest lips he'd ever kissed.

 

"What do you want if you win?"

 

"You." The answer was short, sweet and to the point. Justin reared his head back to look at Brian. He whispered, "Please," in that soft voice which never failed to gain him access to the heart of Brian Kinney.

 

Brian grabbed Justin roughly fitting his body flush against his own. In a low sing song voice, Brian told him exactly what his intentions were. "I'm gonna fuck you. I'm gonna fuck you all night long." He couldn't resist the urge to kiss Justin full and hard so he gave into it until the initial grunt from the force became a whimper of need and pleasure from Justin. Just right here on the conference table. On the table; through the table. Through the motherfucking floor. Never enough of him. We don't even have to make it home. Fuck him on top of the damn car if I have to. Been too many hours. I just....

 

 

 

Throat clearing and chairs moving broke the spell briefly but Brian never stopped looking his fill of Justin passion-hazed eyes. He saw every ounce of love and lust he felt reflected back in the clear blue eyes staring back at him. A thought edged around his mind but before he could grasp what it was and shape it, the thought was gone too soon.

 

 

 

"Daaammnn," Colby said. "Are they always like this?"

 

Lindsey answered shaking her head. "No. Usually they are much worse." She laughed as she told him of the restaurant incident. They watched as Justin and Brian raced toward the private entrance, disappearing behind the door each in his own quest for untamed victory.