- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Aurora Kelly sat in an unseen corner of the office listening to the SKYPE call between Daniel Quinn and Myrna Singleton. He'd bought her in before the official time the bank employees began showing up as to not draw attention to her presence. Sure, everyone knew she was co-owner of the First National Bank but she very rarely made an appearance. Usually when she did, it spelled trouble for one of the executives within the branch. This was not the case...yet. Quinn had called her the previous evening to advise of the trouble with quite a few of their major accounts. Daniel Quinn was not a drama queen and when he spoke there was a reason to pay attention. He detailed all of the major problems especially the one regarding Mark Townsend, a young man who had a lot of people depending on him to keep his job. Based on his family issues alone, she could not imagine him being a willing accomplice in the whole Taylor/Kinney mess.

 

"Whatever the reason Myrna, I agree with Justin Taylor. This is a personal vendetta and it has to be someone relatively close to the pair or knows a helluva lot about them to get provide Townsend with such detailed information. I don't know much about their inner circle yet if I based it on Ted Schmidt alone, I can't imagine any of them would willingly try to financially ruin Brian and Justin. However, I'm still going to keep a close watch on Dr. Chander's account too. I wouldn't put it past anyone to try to break her code just to see the similarities in the patterns. Colby is going to begin work on that this evening. He's also running interference on their behalf with a friend who doesn't agree with Brian and Justin's renewed relationship."

"It is a quandary, Quinn, I'll give you that. Based on their joint assets alone, it would cause a lot of people to worry. Money is power but Justin and Brian don't seem like the type to seek that type of influence."

Quinn laughed. "You heard Brian's reason for having the kind of cash he does and from what I know of him personally, he doesn't lie. As far as what's known of him publicly, The Stud of Liberty Avenue works hard so he can party and play harder. Well at least he did until young Mr. Taylor arrived back on the scene although I hadn't heard much of his escapades in the last seven years. A rumor here and there but nothing like what it used to be. We should all have been able to live such a life."

"Justin wasn't a saint either...not by a long shot. But from the moment I met him, I knew he was running from something. Now I can say it was someone and I can see why if last night was any indicationI got chills watching them together- they move as one, think like a unit. To be that close to someone and not be able to hide even a single thought is disconcerting at best. It's all-consuming and I can understand why Justin ran from it for as long as he did even as he pined away for it. In any event, if we don't figure out who is pulling Mark Townsend's strings we may not be able to keep covering their asses. Has any cash flow entered the accounts since the meeting last night?"

 

Aurora continued to watch and listen silently thinking of the dilemma they were coming against. One thing she knew was whomever had Townsend by the balls had enough power within the WASP set but that could be damned near anyone. They were the upper echelons of the community, mostly those who could make money magically appear or disappear. She could think of at least twenty families off the top of her head which might be involved in the Taylor-Kinney situation simply based on their lifestyle alone. For Aurora's part, she didn't give a shit where they stuck their dicks or in who. She'd been in the closet for years as a bisexual which her third husband didn't mind because he got the best of both worlds from her. He'd kept her secret because he liked watching her with women and because the prenuptial agreement specifically said if he disclosed her lifestyle, he could kiss his settlement-including a small share in the bank totaling 1.2 million dollars-goodbye. He liked his wine, he liked his women but most of all he loved his money. She did too and that was Aurora's investment in seeing the Taylor-Kinney situation taken care of as quickly and quietly as possible.


Quinn said, "The Remson account already sent their four-million dollar payment but we're just waiting for it to clear. That should happen about nine-thirty this morning. Brown sent half of their million dollar payment as per their contract-the other half is payable upon the new campaign being launched. Brian just got the green light to run the new ads so that payment is forthcoming. Checking on Justin's account fifty thousand just cleared in one of the ad accounts from New York-a company called ReadMo Publishing. Have you heard of them?"

"Yes," Myrna answered. "They're located in Rochester. In fact that should be a joint payment for Miller Galleries, too. In fact the Avlossa account Brian was speaking of are also associates of theirs. Even though they have a meeting with Vanguard the same week they have one with Kinnetik, I'm pretty sure Brian is going to win that account, too, especially if Justin is doing the work on it. That account is generally a ten million dollar per year account so Brian stands to make an easy million off that. Per the contract I'm waiting to get back from him, it guarantees Justin two million from the deal. One million from Avlossa directly and the other million for lifetime use of the copyright through Kinnetik, Corp. I gotta hand it to them, they are fucking geniuses when it comes to keeping their private and professional lives separate."

Quinn agreed. "I've always been impressed by that. Brian taught Justin well. In the meantime, per the meeting I'll put ten thousand in Justin's personal account and split the remaining forty thousand in Lindsey's account and the official business account. I can transfer 2.5 million in to Brian's personal account now so the split the remaining as follows: 1.25 million goes into Cynthia's account and the other 1.25 million directly into Kinnetik. Agreed?"

 

Myrna agreed as Aurora sat listening to the keys type on her end. Per the agreement, Myrna Singleton kept a running tab of the Taylor-Kinney assets just as Quinn and Ted Schmidt did. Aurora pulled out her cell phone and sent a text message to Tony Davidson at the bank's security company. The cameras were accessed and watched remotely so they couldn't be erased without prior knowledge. He had recently taken over the company from her long-time friend and associate Frank Murphy. She had found him to be extremely professional and efficient. She also knew he would keep her confidence. In the text she also detailed which cameras she wanted accessed and why, only specifying it was to protect some high profile clients. She asked that he personally look into the matter which he responded immediately that he would. She trusted him at his word. If there was anything to be found she would know by early afternoon. By the time Quinn ended the video call with Myrna Singleton, Aurora had an idea of where to begin looking.

 

"What are you over there thinking?" Quinn asked her as he still punched in the numbers needed to transfer money six ways.

"That this is the shittiest situation to come through since I inherited twelve years ago. I know Townsend would never jeopardize his job-he has too much to lose. What I can't figure out is who's pulling his strings and what they are using as leverage. I sent Tony Davidson a text though and I expect to hear back this afternoon. I told him to send the videos to my email address at home. I will say this about Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor though, their business acumen in splitting up their assets the way they are is an extremely smart move. I also think it was smart of them not to use someone within the banking network to re-encrypt their accounts because if Townsend was bought, who's to say someone else can't be. You don't think if we offer Mark protection, he'll tell who's behind this."

Quinn shook his vehemently. "If we tell him that we're on to him or if he figures out that we've figured out a way to block his access, he will have to tell them. If that happens we may never know who is behind this or more importantly why."

"I've always loved a good mystery, Quinn but this shit is too much." She rose out of her chair crossing to the door on the right corner of the room. "I'd better get out of here. I don't exactly drive an inconspicuous car and if anyone sees me or it, our strategies will be all for naught. I'll call you later with the results." As she drove off she'd made up her mind of where to start. Bell Acres Country Club.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Lindsey was having one helluva fucked up morning. She had bordered on hysteria at least eight times trying to get Gus up for school so she could drop him off. The new coffee maker she bought had a minor malfunction, giving off coffee which actually looked like mud until she realized she didn't put enough water in it. The brown suit she'd had on to go into check the work on the gallery was safely tucked away in the pile of laundry to drop off at the dry cleaners and then there was Colby Butler. Why she had told Cynthia he could stay with her was one of the great mysteries of life she had yet to figure out.

Deciding she couldn't sleep in the wee hours of the morning, Lindsey ran into a very dark kitchen and a very naked Colby rummaging around in her fridge. He emerged with cold cuts, cheese, lettuce, mayo and an impressive hard on which she was not prepared to see or think about for the rest of the night when she returned to her room.

 

"Gus Petersen, if you don't get down here right now..." Lindsey yelled but trailed off when she heard an accented voice behind her.

"Cool your heels, Mum. He's coming," Colby said as he strolled into the kitchen.

On anyone else the pure white crew-necked sweater he wore may have made them look pale in comparison. Not Colby. Lindsey unwillingly- but unable to look away- took in the rest of his appearance. His jet black hair which had been flying everywhere the previous evening was neatly tied back in a ponytail. The 501s he wore fit him to perfection, hugging thighs which reminded her of tree trunks and a pair of combat boots on his feet. Most impressive were the rolled up sleeves on the sweater revealed tattooed forearms. A sophisticated pirate was her thought as she continued to eye him. He was speaking but she hadn't heard anything as he waited expectantly for an answer. She mentally shook herself awake, turning away quickly to hide the tell-tale blush she knew stained her cheeks. "What did you ask me?"

Colby chuckled, the deep rumble moving through her in ways she refused to examine further. "I asked if the coffee was ready and I apologized for last night."

She looked back at him. "The coffee is finally ready after a disastrous start to the morning. Cups are in the cabinet over the coffeemaker. As for last night, no need to apologize. Just do me a favor and next time rummaging around in my fridge throw a pair of pajama bottoms on."

Colby laughed. "Yeah, I tend to forget them when I'm on a food hunt since I don't sleep in them. You look nice by the way." He reached for the cup, pouring himself a cup of the hot brew.

Again Lindsey felt her cheeks heat up. It had been a long time since she'd received a compliment. Before she could respond, she heard what sounded like a herd of elephants running full-throttle down the main staircase. "Finally, Gus. What took you so long?"

"I'm young but to look this good takes time even though I look like Dad, Mom. No one would expect any less from his son."

Lindsey couldn't stop the little snicker which escaped her. Gus became more like Brian everyday. Gus had developed his father's taste in clothes amongst many other things. She wondered how she was going to survive both of them. "By the way this is Colby, Cynthia's cousin."

"I know. We've met," Gus said before inhaling one of the pastries laid out on the counter.

"When did you meet?"

Colby answered, giving Gus a chance to eat and drink the hot chocolate as was his morning custom. "After about the tenth time in three seconds you called him from down here and waking me up too- thanks for that by the way- I went and yanked him out of bed. I introduced myself and that was that."

Lindsey laughed in spite of herself. "You're welcome for the wake-up call. As you probably figured out, he sleeps like the dead."

"I do not, Mom. I just like ignoring unruly adults who don't have the decency to let me sleep." Gus smiled just before taking another sip of his hot chocolate.

Colby laughed outright. "Oh yeah...that's Brian Kinney's kid alright."

"Through and through," Lindsey agreed.

"Wait." Gus looked upward to Colby. "How do you know my dad?"

"It's a long story but I'll make it short. Cynthia is my cousin and your dad is her boss. He needs a slight favor from me so I met him last night to discuss it."

"What kind of favor?" Gus' natural suspicions and interest in all things regarding his father was piqued.

"Nothing I can't do. I'm a computer programmer."

"You are not," Gus said disbelievingly. Lindsey had had the same reaction at the meeting the previous evening and couldn't resist a chuckle at Gus' reaction.

"I most certainly am, young Sir. And your dad's systems need a complete overhaul. Your mom is kind enough to let me stay here until my condo is ready in a few weeks."

"So you'll be sticking around?"

"Looks that way. I think I actually might like Pittsburgh. I may have to switch my running schedule though. It's pitch black dark outside during the wee hours when I'm used to running."

"Cool. Maybe one of these days, I'll come with you," Gus said.

Lindsey looked at her watch. If they didn't get a move on she was going to be even later than she already was. "Alright, Gus. We have to go. I'm do at the gallery in forty-five minutes and I still have to drop you off." Gus grumbled as he often did about school but headed back upstairs to grab his book bag and a coat, leaving she and Colby alone.

"Lindsey, would you mind dropping me off, too? I haven't had time to secure a car yet which is probably something I should work on today sometime."

Lindsey's eyes traveled the considerable distance to reach Colby's eyes. He stared down at her, sardonic smirk on his lips as if he could read her thoughts. "Yeah, it's no problem. I also have to make a stop by Kinnetik so it's no trouble at all." She was proud of how steady her voice sounded although she felt anything but. What the hell is going on with me? I haven't been this affected by a man since...nope won't think of him. She stepped around Colby, grabbing her red trench coat off the other barstool which matched her outfit and headed toward the front door. She could feel his eyes on her back but she wouldn't turn around. There were just some things and memoriesbetter left behind her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

What the fuck happened last night? My ass feels like it got hit by a freight train...literally. Oh that's right a train called Kinney rammed into me over and over...repeatedly but in fairness, I started it. And even though sitting, standing- FUCK! I'm actually laying down and sore as all hell- I wouldn't trade a minute of it just to hear him say it again.

Justin cracked open his eyes only to stare directly into the most gorgeous combination of green, brown and gold he'd ever seen reminding him of what the first leaf changes between summer and fall. A small smile played on the most sensuous lips he'd ever kissed and one of the most luxurious dark locks his fingers ever had the pleasure of running through fell over a forehead he'd kissed many times. The little sprinkles of gray interspersed here and there winked at him making the urge to tweak them almost irresistible. He went to move a hand to do just that but could not. Searching for the reason, his eyes drifted lazily upward to discover his only free hand (the other was tucked somewhere beneath the covers) was entwined tightly with the owner of those incredible eyes.

 

"Good morning, Sunshine," Brian said, voice sleep-sexy and languid as if he didn't have a care in the world.

"How long have you been up?" he answered by way of a response.

"Long enough to make some decisions while watching you sleep."

"Decisions again? And you need to see someone about your stalker tendencies," Justin said grinning.

Brian folded his lips to hide the smile Justin saw forming. "Well you see I have a good reason to be stalking you."

"Well let's hear it and make it good."

"And if I don't, will you have me arrested?"

Justin was enjoying their easy banter, hands still locked and faces close. "Only if I get to wield ...the ‘be good' stick."

Brian burst out laughing then. "If you handle it like you did last night, I may have to misbehave more often then."

Justin ignored the twinges in his muscles, especially his ass which was protesting and begging to be filled again, and leaned over to plant a soft but lingering kiss on Brian's lips. Lying his head back down on the pillow, he asked, "So what decisions have you made?"

"First, I'm not going to work today."

Justin laughed. "That's unusual but why?"

"I can barely move to take a piss," Brian said laughingly causing Justin to snicker in response.

"Sorry but I warned you."

"That you did but I don't regret any of it. Secondly," Brian reached under his pillow pulling out the smaller of two platinum rings. "I think it's time you put this on but before you do, I want you to read the inscription and make sure it's what you want."

"Brian it's been engraved for ten years. I doubt if I don't like it you can have it changed."

"Just read the fucking inscription, Justin. I never let you see what I had put inside the ring. I was going to show you at the altar before placing it on your finger. So just humor me, okay?"

Justin took the ring, twirling it delicately in his fingers until he could see the small scrawl. Brian's To Have and To Hold. Justin smiled wide at the inscription, the pressure of tears threatening to form until he willed them away. "I love it, Brian and I love you." He handed it back allowing Brian to slip it on his finger. It still fit perfectly although Justin was a little worried at first. He wasn't exactly the same twink he was when they'd first gotten the rings even though Brian still handled him as if he was. He was more muscular all over and his hands had filled out a bit more as well from all the art work over the years. "Where's yours?" Brian pulled his from under Justin's pillow. Justin's To Have and To Hold. It was as good as being branded. He looked directly into Brian's eyes as he slipped it on his finger. A mixture of love and relief shown back at him.

 

"I love you, Justin," Brian breathed before he pulled him close and kissed him. What began as a chaste kiss quickly escalated and evolved into so much more of feelings spoken between pecks and unspoken words when their mouths collided. Brian pulled away abruptly. "You're sure you don't want a wedding?"

Justin smiled the heartfelt smile reserved only for Brian. "Maybe some day but for now I'm just happy to be yours at long last. And who cares if I'm not Justin Taylor-Kinney on paper. I am to you and me; to everyone or everything which matters I have been for a very long time."

Brian nodded. "I made a third decision but it really depends on you."

"Okay. What is it?"

"Promise you won't get upset or overreact as you usually do?"

"I promise."

"Swear on the memory of Patrick Swayze. I can't use Marilyn Monroe with you- that's for Michael."

Justin laughed again. "Alright, I swear on the memory of Patrick Swayze I will not get upset or overreact to your third decision of this very semi-weird conversation."

He inhaled so deeply that his words came out in a rush and Justin had to ask him to slow down and repeat himself. "I want exclusive rights, Justin."

"Who are you and what the fuck have you done with Brian Alexander Kinney?" Justin asked, shock plainly on his face.

"It's me and I haven't been abducted by aliens since the first time I asked you to marry me," Brian said, smirk plainly visible earning him a poke in the ribs by Justin.

"You've never asked for that, Brian. In fact if I remember correctly you're staunchly opposed to the idea of monogamy."

"I am- was. Things change. People change." Brian licked his lips before continuing. "Look, being apart from you has taught me two things."

"And they are?" Justin was still in shock.

"Number one is that I want to kill any man you touch or fuck who isn't me and yes that includes all of our friends even though I can tolerate them a helluva lot better than others. The email from that asshole Jason was bad enough even though I know you didn't fuck him."

"How did you know?"

" You promised you wouldn't when we were in the office and I trust you. Aside from that and you feeling the same when I fucked you in the backroom, I know Jason wouldn't have gone bottom, not even for your hot little blond ass."

Justin nodded. Brian knew him longer so it stood to reason he would think that. Justin actually had topped Jason before but it wouldn't due to tell Brian that. "And what's the second reason?"

"Secondly, I wanted to make sure I could do monogamy before I bought it up to you."

"And were you able to?" Justin couldn't imagine it.

"Even though men threw themselves as me and still do, my last trick was three and a half years ago, Justin."

"What?" Justin asked incredulously. "That would have put it right after we met up in..."

"London. I decided after the last one that I didn't want anyone else, I didn't need anyone since they weren't you. So I threw myself into work like a madman. Our unexpected visit in Toronto was the first time in God knew how long. Then when I came back from there, I threw myself into work again so that I wouldn't want or need anyone else. I know you needed to live your life and I even understood all of that. I fought with myself time and again to let you go but you know how it is once I get something into my head. In retrospect, somehow I think the indefinable part of me made up its decision about you a very long time ago. It just took my mind awhile to catch the hint."

Justin's mind was reeling. What would have happened if I decided this wasn't for me? .But Justin didn't give voice to that thought. The truth was there was really no decision to be made. He'd always known from that first night when he'd first saw Brian while standing under that street lamp. It was a lust so strong, he'd taken deep breaths to calm himself and slow his heart-rate down. He had stood there watching as Brian approached him, feeling that if he even thought of shifting his feet he would fall over. Everything about Brian- his look, his walk, the way he smelled and sounded- reached into Justin immediately that night. Justin resisted the urge to burst out laughing remembering the stupid things he'd said about his allergies and what he liked to do. I said play Tomb Raider for fuck's sake while he was sitting naked on top of me. God, how naive he was. Later after returning from meeting Gus for the first time and Brian took his virginity, he remembered hearing Brian say that he loved him. It was the driving force behind all Justin had gone through; the thing that kept him coming back no matter how Brian tried to push him away. He'd known then what it had taken Brian years to figure out for himself. Now Brian wants monogamy? It was almost too much for Justin to take in at once. "Ask me this question again in six months," Justin said. At Brian's puzzled look, he continued. "Although I'm sure I'm clean, I don't want to take any chances. I've been with other people trying to compensate for the loss of you. I won't put you at risk in haste to have you without a barrier no matter how much I want to.

Brian nodded to Justin's relief. "So what do you want to do today?"

Justin smiled. "First things first. I want to put that huge bathtub of ours to good use so an Epsom salt soak is in order."

"And then?" Brian shifted a little closer, fitting his head in crook of Justin's neck. Justin felt him smile against his skin just before giving him a soft peck.

"You should call Cynthia; I should call Lindz and Emmett. Hopefully Auntie Em won't mind bringing food. Anita has probably come and gone by now and we need to eat but I don't think I can brave the stairs today." He chuckled. "How the fuck did we get in bed anyway? The last thing I remember is passing out on top of you."

Brian laughed. "Although the details are a little fuzzy from having my brains fucked out, I vaguely remember leading you down here. I would have carried you but my back disagreed."

"Wow. Brian Kinney are you getting old on me?"

"Asshole," Brian muttered affectionately. "Never that, Sunshine. There's a little blond dynamo who makes it a point to keep me young."

"And I always will. I love you, Brian."

"Love you, too."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Melanie looked at her watch again for the fifth time in as many minutes. Michael was late. Ordinarily, she wouldn't have minded especially because she knew Debbie was off for the day awaiting her fiance's return home from an extended vacation. Michael had imparted that information to her. Debbie wasn't even her main concern...it was running into everyone else while they were discussing plans for the upcoming hearing regarding J.R. She didn't want to answer the usual questions she was sure everyone would ask. It was bad enough she'd had to involve Michael and therefore Ben in her marital problems. Brian and Justin were involved by default, helping Lindsey in spite of knowing the problems it would cause between Melanie and Lindsey. Because of them, Lindsey had a whole new life which wouldn't have been possible without their help. She would have had to return to Toronto where their life was if not for them meddling in her affairs.

She nearly slammed the ceramic cup back into its saucer when she thought of Lindsey's defection and their betrayal. Although she shouldn't have expected anything less of Brian. He was as loyal to Lindsey as she was to him and they each made no secret about it. She'd always suspected there was more to their relationship than either would admit but then she would chalk it up to her naturally suspicious nature. Brian was gay; Lindsey was a lesbian despite her one-time affair with Sam Auerbach which had almost destroyed their relationship completely.

 

"Sorry I'm late, Mel." Michael came in interrupting her from her musings.

"Have you given our conversation any more thought?" She got right down to the matter, afraid that any minute they would be interrupted.

"I did. No matter what I just want my rights protected. I don't want it to be a situation like when J.R. was first born, Mel. That hurt us all emotionally and almost destroyed our friendship. Are you sure there is no way Lindz is willing to work this out to where everyone benefits?"

Melanie blew out a huge sigh. What part of the situation didn't he understand? Melanie was not willing to return to Pittsburgh. She wouldn't be there now if her wife wasn't being such a fucking bitch and digging her Birkenstocks in by not giving in to what benefited their family and not just her. "Michael, we've been through this. Lindsey has gainful employment here and an obvious place to stay. Gus is enrolled in school already, whereas J.R. is missing school. I've managed to secure a private tutor for my unfortunate stay here but I have intention of making this my home again. My life- our life for all Lindsey abandoned it- is in Toronto. I have no desire to uproot my entire existence again."

As Michael was about to answer, Lindsey rushed through the door looking like she was on a mission. "Well... Aren't you going to speak to her, Mel? Try to make her see reason?"

She nearly rolled her eyes at the expectant look on his face but she shifted out of the booth anyway. She had to admit Lindsey looked damn good. She had fixed her blond hair in spiral curls which framed her classic features. The red pantsuit with the matching trench coat accentuated her tall frame and made her more statuesque than she already was. Standing next to her unnoticed made Melanie feel out of place in jeans, t-shirt and her leather jacket but Michael was right. She had to try.

 

"Hello Lindz."

She watched intently as her voice registered and was gratified when Lindsey froze momentarily from searching in her over-sized tote. "Hello, Melanie," she replied calmly. To Melanie she sounded cold or as a WASP would say ‘professionally distant.'

"How have you been?" What a stupid question, Mel. Get a grip.

Lindsey resumed looking in her purse as she responded. "I'm well, thank you. I've been meaning to call you."

"You have?" Melanie couldn't keep the shock from her voice.

"Yes. Gus has been asking to see J.R. and quite frankly, I would like to see her, too. I thought perhaps we could meet somewhere so the kids can see each other."

Melanie bristled but was determined to stay calm and not cause a scene. "Why are you doing this, Lindz. Why are you doing this to our family- to us? I said I was sorry."

"I know, Melanie and I accept your apology but you of all people know that sorry doesn't fix everything. I'm at a point now where I am finally happy."

"I thought you were happy with me," Mel responded bitterly.

"I did, too. And for a number of years I was content to think that but not anymore. It funny when you wake up and realize that you've spent your entire life living for someone else and forgot that you have needs, too."

"That sounds like the influence of Brian talking," Mel said raising her voice causing the action within the diner to suddenly cease.

"And that right there is part of the problem, Melanie. You blame him for all of our issues, never taking the time out to find your part in it. For the record: those are my own thoughts. I'm not a robot, which is something you seem to have either repeatedly disregarded or forgotten- take your pick. I had dreams and goals long before I met you and have lost sight of them being with you but I've found them again. I'm not giving them up for you or anyone else."

Melanie huffed out, "Even at the expense of our daughter?"

Lindsey's eyes widened marginally. "Really, Melanie? You're allowed to be selfish without thought or care to our daughter but I'm not allowed to develop a life of my own. Why? Because it doesn't fit into your schedule or your orderly life? Well let me tell you something, Ms. Marcus. This is my life to live as I choose and see fit. I'm not about to squander anymore of it for your comfort while I'm miserable. I'm finally doing what I love and I don't have to sacrifice my son or my life to make you happy. As far as J.R. goes, surely we can work out a visitation schedule to include Michael since he lives here in Pittsburgh most of the time as well as I. Please think about that when you once again accuse me of being unreasonable. I'm not. In the meantime, I have to get to work and I'm late as it is. Enjoy the rest of your day." Lindsey moved passed her without a backward glance.

Melanie returned to her seat where Michael sat staring out of the window as Lindsey got into her car and drove off. "See what I mean, Michael? Completely unreasonable."

"I'll be in touch, Mel," he said excusing himself and leaving her to replay all the events in her mind.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

"Look, Allison. I know there's no love lost between us but I'm asking for more time," Chris pleaded with his soon-to-be ex-wife. They sat in the middle of Bell Acres Country Club, trying for all their world to look and be civil. Chris understood that Allison was impatient to move on with her life. He really couldn't blame her because he felt the same. There was nothing more he wanted to do than be with George and he'd been asking (demanding really) to know when Chris was moving in.

"Why should I have to be reasonable, Chris? I want the divorce yesterday. We both do so what the hell is the hold up?"

"I can't tell you." Chris looked down at his plate, moving his food around by not touching anything. "We may not be able to stand each other but I wouldn't willingly put you in danger. It's bad enough that I told you some of what they were planning before, Allison, but if you knew anymore of what I know...Hell if they find out I know-family or not- I'm a dead man, if not physically then financially."

"I get it, Chris. I really do but maybe if you told me the rest, I could help. We didn't spend years in this stuffy ass world for no reason."

"I doubt Stockwell or Taylor will give a shit about sparing either one of us based on the fact we have a young family. No, Allison. What they have planned for Justin and Kinney, I really don't want you to be a part of. I don't want to be a part of it but it's too late for me even though they don't know that I am. As far as my grandfather and father go, they're different. It's actually pretty fucking scary to know that Craig Taylor is involved with them in any way considering mine and Justin's history. The man really must have no parental love for anyone or anything."

"And you think he's really going to go through with ruining Justin, Chris?" He noted the concern on Allison's face and appreciated her wanting to help even though he wouldn't let her. This was something he had to decide on his own.

"Honestly Allison, I've given up any hope that there could be redeeming qualities at all in Taylor. I was surprised to learn he never went to visit Justin in the hospital after the...incident. I know there was a lot of reasons put out there why I did what I did but you now know the entire truth of it and even though we are divorcing, you haven't judged me. Justin, on the other hand, was literally disowned by the one he called ‘father.' I know if it comes out about me the same will happen and I'll deal with that then. But with Justin and Brian, who are they really hurting? No one and yet Justin's father and his friend, Stockwell as well as my family are going after them. For what? Because they threaten everything those old men hold dear? From what I've seen and heard down on Liberty, they don't give a shit about anything except their businesses and themselves."

Allison nodded. She knew that given a chance her own father would have been involved, too. She liked Justin up until finding out he was gay. He was cute and funny and talented. When Chris first bashed him, she'd been so angry. Everyone was except for his friends on the football team who had been down on Liberty Avenue the night Justin and Chris got into an argument. Recently, he'd revealed what the entire episode was about and at first she was disgusted all over again but then she understood what would've happened if anyone took Justin Taylor's story seriously at the time. It would have been as bad for Chris as it was for Justin. Unlike Justin, Chris didn't have a loyal group of friends or the hottest fucking man, gay or straight, in Pittsburgh to defend him and give him a place to stay. No. His friends were only loyal as long as Chris' athletic popularity held out and his family loyalty was contingent based on Chris being the "good" son. A large part of that included hating the things they hated- homosexuality amongst them. She felt a little sorry for Chris because he would never be able to live and love openly because of a long line of prejudice ingrained from cradle. Allison had grown up in the same kind of environment but the difference was she was never afraid to disagree with them. Perhaps it was because her father wasn't leaving her anything that would be passed directly to her. Anything she would get at the time of his death would be passed to her husband. If she didn't have one, it would be passed down to her first born son or sit in trust until she got one. Despicable of course but that was what happened with "Old Money." Within her family women were only good for providing heirs to the legacy. It was part of the reason the divorce settlement was so important to her and why she was willing to help Chris any way she could. If she had money of her own, she wouldn't be held to being a walking uterus.

 

She reached over to grab his hand, noting the slight shake of it as he set down the fork he held. "Chris, I know this is not easy. The situation is bound to get worse before it gets better and the decision you have to make will only make things harder. But if you need me, I'm here. No, our marriage was not a happy one which is why we're divorcing but we started out as friends. We've been friends since kindergarten and we share children. That will not change so whatever you need, you got it. Okay?"

 

He nodded and squeezed her hand in acknowledgment of her offer. It was enough for him.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Jennifer sat at the table in a state of shock. She couldn't believe the bits and pieces she'd overheard between Chris and Allison Hobbs. She was supposed to be having a romantic breakfast with Tucker which he'd planned in honor of the day they first met. He was always romantic like that; so different from her ex-husband for which she was thankful. He not only made her feel young and beautiful but special with his attentiveness. At the mention of Craig and Justin's name in the same breath behind her, she tuned out of what Tucker was saying. She couldn't help it. It was as automatic as breathing when it came to her family.

 

 "Jennifer, did you hear what I said?"

"Oh. I'm sorry, Tuck sweetheart. I've just got a lot on my mind."

Tuck smiled gently. "I could tell otherwise you would probably be in my lap by now."

"What? Not here I wouldn't but out of curiosity, why would I be there? I would think I've spent enough time there lately."

 

He flashed her the beautiful smile she'd come to adore over the years. It didn't matter that he had just turned forty or that she was almost sixty. He still made her heart beat erratically when he smiled at her.

 

"We're going to Rome and Venice in three weeks," he said as he took a sip of his coffee and waited for the words to sink in.

"Oh Tucker," Jennifer breathed. "How in the world did you swing that?"

"It's something I've been working on for awhile. With Molly away at school but coming home for Thanksgiving, I figured it would be a perfect time. Justin can watch the house and I was able to secure the time off. In fact my boss offered the use of his villa in both places."

 

Tucker had left teaching in elementary school about five years ago gaining an assistant director position at the Carnegie Mellon registrar office. The hours were more flexible and the increase in salary allowed for he and Jennifer to do more as a couple. She still worked as a real estate agent when she wanted to since Justin bought her company. He'd presented it to her on the tenth year anniversary of her divorce from Craig. He told her that it served as a semi-retirement present since it was also on her birthday. She rose out of her seat and crossed over to him. Taking a brief look around and noting that the dining room was filled with young couples instead of the older crowd, she perched herself gently on his lap causing him to chuckle softly. If the older set was in it would have never happened because of they were sticklers for protocol and pretentious behavior at all times. Jennifer allowed her lips to say what her voice hadn't been able to, giving him a kiss which curled his toes and spoke of forbidden promises. When she pulled back to stare into his dazed eyes, she whispered, "Thank you," making sure to shift against another part of him she would be thanking later in the evening.

He noticed the action and smiled brightly at her. "You know, I'm not due in the office for another hour. Wanna go home and thank me properly?"

Jennifer chuckled briefly. "I can't. Unlike you, I have an appointment but I'll make it up to you later." Sliding off his lap, she gave him one more kiss before leaving the club without a backward glance.

*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

Ted, Cynthia and Lindsey was in the makeshift office set up for Colby when the call from Brian came in advising that he and Justin would be notably absent from civilization for the day. There was much good natured ribbing about the tiredness of his voice which Brian took in stride. Ted assured him that he'd heard from both Quinn and Myrna and the accounts all seemed to be in order. Although they were tried again, there still wasn't any success in getting into them.

 

"Lindsey, can you stop by the hospital to see Daphne for Justin and I and explain what's going on about everything. If you have any problems, ask for Dr.Troy Bradley. He's her doctor and a personal friend and will be able to get you the access to her. Have you heard from Melanie and the attorney? Is she willing to allow visitation at least?"

"I honestly don't know but maybe Michael will be able to talk some sense into her. He was there although I didn't acknowledge his presence. I truly did not want to either. In any event, I made my terms clear and tried to reassure him directly that I wouldn't try to take his rights away. If I know Melanie, that perceived threat was how she lured him into helping her. You know how gullible he is. And it's sad really that even though he's a grown man, he hasn't grown up in all these years."

"Don't be too hard on him, Wendy," Brian said. "It just takes some of us longer than others to look at the bigger picture. We've all had our moments of dumb ass-ness."

Lindsey smiled as she heard water splashing in the background. "Brian, is Justin anywhere near you? I'd like to ask him a question." She heard grumbles and more water splashing followed by Brian laughingly murmuring ‘You asshole.'

"Hey Lindz. Hey everyone, what's up?" Justin answered.

"Oh nothing much, Jus. At least I know Brian isn't sick since he isn't coming to work for the first time in forever," Lindz answered.

"Yeah. He's such a terrible influence," Brian answered while getting steadily getting splashed with water.

"I am not. I'll still be working," Justin said.

"I'll bet you will," Colby said earning him a few snickers and a punch in his arm from Cynthia.

"How are things going there anyway?" Justin asked. "You should have received an email from Fred in Kinnetik's art department detailing the Avlossa account specifications. I started work on it last night."

Lindsey nodded. "I have it and forwarded to you this morning. Oh and the official opening for the gallery is scheduled for a month from today. Emmett's agreed to plan it. Amy fired Tom Hanson in the New York office. Apparently she found out he was undermining one of our client's campaigns. It turns out he was an ex-boyfriend or some other such nonsense."

"Fuck!" Justin said. "I think I know which account it was. The adult toy line, right? How much damage did the asshole do? That campaign is set to go national next week. Any idea of the cost to push it back by two weeks?"

"Whoa. Hold it Boss man," Lindsey chuckled. "According to Amy, Tom had made everything look like little laughing penises." She could hear Brian laughing out loud in the background. "When asked about it, Tom said it was because Toby Nickels had a baby dick and his campaign shouldn't reflect false advertising- a practice your company never engages in."

By the time Lindsey finished explaining even Justin was laughing. "So how much money is this going to cost me to fix?"

"Amy has it well in hand-" Lindsey broke off understanding the pun which caused the others to start a fresh round of laughter.

"Tell her to send it to me as soon as possible. I'll get to it sometime today," Justin said.

"You sure about that?" Brian asked. The others froze in astonishment, envy and unwilling fascination at the low moan following Brian's statement.

Justin amended. "I'll get to it tomorrow."

"Thought so," Colby said low causing  the others to chuckle. They all knew if Brian wasn't going to work, there was no way in hell Justin was.

"Alrighty then," Lindsey said with a self-indulgent smile. It was nice to hear them happy after all the years of misery. "As far as what it will cost to fix the mess...well you'll determine that when you see it. In the meantime, I called Mr. Nickels and smoothed things over already explaining that our printing press needed repair and that we wanted to do our best work for him. He bought it and agreed to push back the campaign."

"Thanks, Lindz. See? I knew I did the right thing by making you partner," Justin said.

"Well thanks for having faith in me, Jus. In the meantime, you guys enjoy your day off. Try not to get into any more trouble, will ya?"

"I'm not promising a damn thing," Brian said causing everyone to laugh. "I'm not a liar and Justin is a bad influence."

"Now that's debatable. Gotta go though. I need to call Emmett to bring food over and I have an offer for him that he will not refuse. He's waited too long for it."

"Wait are you two-" Cynthia started.

"No. At least not yet," Brian said. "But I do need you all to clear your schedules for three weeks from tomorrow. Justin and I are having a party and we would like you all to come. Lindsey, I will talk to Melanie directly to see if we can get J.R. there even if I have to allow her here, too. J.R. is family whether Melanie agrees or not."

"Good luck with that, Brian. You know how she is when she digs her Manolos in and what about Michael? Are you going to invite him, too?"

"I'll give him the option of coming but it's his decision," Brian said.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

It had taken them a half hour to finally get in the tub from the time they had left the warm sanctuary of the bed before they made the requisite calls using the blue-tooth function on Brian's cell phone. He chuckled when he paired it to the built-in speaker system in the bathroom-one more surprise for Justin he'd never gotten to use or dream of. Brian smiled to himself. With all the water they splashed on each other in the bath, it was a good thing the phone had a voice call command feature and was safely placed on shelf on the other side of the enormous bathroom. As soon as the lovers left a message on Emmett's voice-mail, they relaxed for a time enjoying the companionable silence.

 

"I know you have to invite him, Brian," Justin said sensing what was bothering Brian.

Brian sighed. "Yeah, I do. He and I have been friends practically our whole lives. It would seem strange if I don't."

"And that's why you have to do what you have to do," Justin reassured him, taking his soapy hand exposing the rings they wore. "This is a major step we're taking. It wouldn't be right not to invite the person who meant the most to you in your life before and after I showed up in it."

"Not after," Brian said, kissing the tip of Justin's ear. "I know I have to give the option, Jus, but he's changed so fucking much. Why can't he just be happy for us like I was for he and Ben?"

Justin laughed. "Are we indulging in selective memory now? You weren't happy when they first got married, Brian."

Brian thought about it and had to laugh with him. "No, I wasn't happy when they married but I was still supportive of their relationship. I wasn't half as happy at his relationship with David. Michael always had a tendency to follow the example of his partners; I thought he should be his own man. After he'd gotten married, he began to make holier-than-thou pronouncements on everyone's life and their decisions. Ben wasn't exactly like that but Michael was based on some preconceived notions and no doubt the influence of Stepford Fag Avenue."

Justin nodded remembering the whole fiasco with the doctor Michael was involved with before Ben came along. Michael became a sanctimonious, snotty, whiny fucker instead of the complaining, judgmental asshole he'd always been. "You had good reason not to support the decision with David. Though if they had stayed here you know you would have been blamed for their break-up."

"Wasn't that always the way of it? I was accused of that when Michael had decided not to go with David in the first place. I told him that he should go to at least give it a try. That blasted party was to keep him from being torn in his decisions. Debbie asked me to let him go his own way. I did and look what happened anyway."

"I remember the party and the aftermath. The later events are still fuzzy in spots but I remember when he finally decided to go," Justin said and he did. It was the weekend of Brian's thirtieth birthday; the week before Justin's prom that Michael had made the decision to begin anew in Portland. He was about to cancel his plans to move when he found out Brian didn't get the job in New York with Adam Lyons. "You had to let him go and find his way back then."

"I find myself having to do the same thing now, Justin," Brian said. "What if he doesn't come back this time?"

Justin turned in the enormous tub to look Brian straight in the eye. "If he doesn't it won't be because you closed the door. You won't be employing the infamous Kinney cliff method to get him to finally make a decision and stick to it. It will be because you gave him the choice to go his own way without compromising what you want for a change. But no matter how this plays out, I'm proud of you."

"What for?"

Justin smiled gently. "You once called me a prince and I didn't fully understand why at the time but I do now. Royalty requires a certain type of nobility and courage. You have it in ways people rarely appreciate. To them you're just a cold son of a bitch without a heart but in reality the ability to let someone go at great personal risk to yourself is a gift. Instead of asking or demanding that they choose you as you want them to, you allow them to move on and experience whatever they need to with the understanding that you're still here if they need you. That ability- your secret identity- has left you broken so many times before, Brian. Then you would rebuild and re-fortify the walls around your heart time and time again making them stronger while concealing the hurt inside yourself. I didn't understand that when I was younger. I grew up with an idyllic life but then I met you- my destiny -and all of what I thought I knew about life went out the window. I know what you are risking even though the others do not, Brian, but then again I see the real you completely and clearly as no one else does or will. So that's why I am proud of you."

Brian hugged Justin close to him and he wondered not for the first time how he'd gotten so lucky. But that was Justin's gift- the ability to see through the bullshit of Brian Kinney- Stud of Liberty Avenue. Justin had lost sight of that for awhile but Brian was damned happy that he'd gotten it back. One day very soon, I'm closing the fucking door and welding that bitch shut. He's not leaving me again. Brian rested his chin in the top of Justin's head the way his lover liked while holding their entwined fingers over his heart thinking it was going to be very soon indeed.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

It had been a long time since she'd been in the walls of Kinnetik. The office still hustled and bustled around her. Jennifer remembered the last time she'd set foot in there ten years ago. It was the afternoon before Justin's first art show in New York. Her visit had surprised Brian, who was caught in an unguarded moment within his private office. She remembered the conversation as if it had happened yesterday.

 

"Jennifer. Are you okay? What are you doing here?"

"Justin asked me to come make sure you were still alive." She took in his appearance-impeccably dressed with red-rimmed eyes. "Why haven't you responded to Justin's RSVP? I know you want to go."

"It's just not a good idea. Besides, I'm swamped here."

"Brian, I know it would mean a lot to my son. More importantly, I think it would mean more to you."

"I can't, Jennifer," he said despairingly. "Do you realize what tomorrow is?"

She thought a moment when it dawned on her. "Yes, I know. The anniversary of Justin's prom which is all the more reason you should go. It's a triumphant day for you both-a day to celebrate that he's still alive and well and whole. Brian please come, if not for his sake, then your own."

Brian huffed out a breath. "I'll try but I can't promise, okay?"

"Well that's all I can ask." She crossed the room stopping in front of him. "I want you to know that I know why you and he called off the wedding. It took guts after everything you and Justin have been through. Unlike the others, I won't pretend to understand why you haven't followed him but I respect your decisions. If I ever had a doubt you loved Justin before, I realize just how much you do now." She placed a kiss on his cheek and left then.

 

He never made it to Justin's art show in New York but recently Justin had told her he'd bought three paintings in total from the show and at least one from every show after over the years- a fact Justin hadn't known until he moved into their home. Brian and Jennifer had managed to meet for lunch a few times a year since that long ago art show. They supported each other in a way no one else would have been able to, not even Tuck or Debbie. In retrospect and even though she had many apprehensions at the beginning of their relationship, she honestly couldn't have picked a better man for her son. Justin flourished whenever things were right between he and Brian. Even when they weren't the passion Justin felt for Brian was palpable and vice versa. Their arguments were legendary and their love for each other iconic. It was especially prevalent in the painting displayed in the front lobby of the building Jennifer helped Brian buy for the thriving advertising agency. Who would have thought the Liberty Baths could turn into this?

 

"Jennifer? Oh my goodness it is you?"

"How are you, Lindsey?" Jennifer asked embracing her warmly. "I'm surprised to see you. How are Melanie and the kids?"

"Justin didn't tell you?" Jennifer shook her head so Lindsey continued. "Melanie and I are divorcing and I've moved back to Pittsburgh."

"I'm so sorry. I hadn't heard. If you don't mind my asking, what happened? Justin said when he'd visited last year you all were doing great."

Lindsey smiled. "Let's just say, I took a page from your book all those years ago, Jenn. I needed a change and unfortunately it doesn't include Melanie. Hopefully we can come to an agreement about J.R. but Gus is very happy and has adjusted extremely well to school here."

"Well at least there's a bit of a bright side to this, right?" Jennifer knew exactly what Lindsey was referring to. Jennifer's marriage to Craig was oppressive. And although she didn't think Melanie cheated as Craig did, she remembered what a workaholic Mel was which probably strained Lindsey the way it had Jennifer. "I came to speak with Brian. I heard something rather disturbing while I was having breakfast at the country club this morning. I'd really like to speak with him about it since it involves Justin."

"Brian and Justin took the day off but maybe can help a bit since I'm Justin's business partner."

Jennifer nodded. She knew that Lindsey would keep her confidence and she really needed to speak to someone. She'd been replaying the small bits of conversation over in her mind, making sure she remembered all of it and trying to make some sort of sense of the cryptic conversation between Chris and Allison Hobbs. "Is there someplace we can speak privately?"

"Well since Brian isn't coming in today his office should be available."

By the time, Jennifer finished relating all the information she'd overheard and relayed it again to Cynthia, Ted, Colby and a man on the phone named Mr. Daniel Quinn who she'd known was Justin's personal banker, all assembled were able to put together a partial idea of the big picture. It still didn't explain why Craig Taylor was involved or who else they were using in their plot to destroy Brian and Justin. The only thing they could agree on was that where there was smoke, fire was always sure to follow and that there was a foreboding sense of things getting a helluva lot worse before getting better.