- Text Size +

 The piercing sound of the alarm clock woke Brian, which he immediately regretted. After a long night of fucking the last thing he wanted to do was roll from underneath Justin and head hit the shower. It had been two weeks since they made the private acknowledgment; since the category had solidly moved from non-relationship to partnership in every sense of the word. With Jennifer's help, they now jointly owned six apartment complexes bought under TK Property Management Company, thus expanding the Taylor-Kinney empire considerably. Three were designed for college students eager to get away from campus housing. One for corporate housing, one for senior citizens and the third contained condominiums in a well-established, family-oriented neighborhood. When Ted asked them if they thought it was a good idea considering all that had been happening with the threats to their finances, Justin said simply, "Lions never run from the sheep." Whenever Justin felt fear about anything pertaining to his career, that simple saying had kept him moving forward and somehow became the mantra of the Taylor-Kinneys throughout the years whether together or separated.


 


One of Brian's favorite morning activities other than taking care of his morning wood was watching Justin wake up. Both of them were generally not morning people, yet it always fascinated Brian to feel the restlessness in Justin's body as he inadvertently always ended up humping against Brian's leg until he realized that whatever dream he was having was forcing him into reality. He loved to be the first thing Justin actually saw after he would blink his eyes several times adjusting to the daylight and absorbing that it was time to begin a new day. Under penalty of death, Brian would never admit these things to Justin nor anyone else but it was but just watching the process of Justin waking up beside him calmed him as no other thing could.


 


"Wake up, Sunshine. We both have to go into the office today so time to get ready."


 


"I don't want to," Justin mumbled reaching for a pillow to pull over his head.


 


Brian in turn chuckled. "Fine. But if you stay in this bed and not get into the shower, your morning hard on will have to stay just that...HARD." Brian silently counted to five as Justin processed his words.


 


"I'm up," Justin said as he moved the pillow from over his eyes, bright smile gracing his features.


 


Brian reached under the covers, moving his hand directly to Justin's cock and whispered softly, "I know." The groan Justin made Brian's cock stiffen even more.


 


"Sure we can't just stay in bed all day?" Justin shifted his pelvis trying to get Brian to stroke him instead of just holding the hand steady.


 


"No but then you already know that. Besides you still have to meet with Emmett today and I have another meeting before I get to Kinnetik for the joint meeting. Oh and I need you to light a fire under the Art department before I get tempted to issue pink slips again."


 


"What happened this time? Lindz and I are almost finished the work for the Avlossa account so that should take a load off your mind."


 


"I never had any doubt you would meet the deadline. The problem is that Fred and Charles are warring for dominance. Ordinarily I wouldn't give a shit but we're in a bit of a time crunch with Remson, Brown, Iconix and a few of the other big name accounts. Fred wants to do a ‘blueprint' advertising package which you know is not going to work for us and doesn't fit who we are. Sure the idea has merit but that is for other companies. As a boutique operation our money is in our ability to create customized campaigns. None of our clients want to see themselves coming and going with some standard bullshit. That's what sets us apart from companies like Vanguard although they are trying to emulate us without our success."


 


"So basically without offending Fred you actually want Charles in charge of the Art Department." Justin sat up so that he could see Brian's eyes when he confirmed what Justin had been thinking for a long time.


 


"Yes. There has to be something that can be done to increase productivity without sacrificing the talent of either man. Fred is damn good at organizing and managing the department but Charles gets the jobs done. The staff respects him especially because he will not hesitate to speak his mind to Fred."


 


Justin nodded. "Tell you what...after my morning blow job in the shower and on our way in, we'll discuss what I think is a reasonable solution. That way it will give me time to come up with a little spin of my own."


 


Brian sat up quickly and threw the covers off. "Last one to the shower is getting fucked."


 


Justin laughed as he climbed out of bed almost lazily, knowing that while the water was heating up on the inside of the shower, things were about to get very steamy on the outside of it


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Daphne would never be so happy than to get back to work. Justin was going to meet her for lunch but that was much later. She was spending another quiet morning of her ‘enforced vacation' at home. Truthfully, she loved her home; Brian and Justin had done the right thing by encouraging her to move down the road from them. Being able to walk the trails surrounding the pond really helped to clear her mind of all that had happened with Steven. The other added bonus was Troy. He'd stayed over every night he wasn't working. They did all the things friends do: watch movies, have long talks, make fun of Brian and Justin. That thought made her smile. But there were the other things they talked about which she couldn't seem to speak about with anyone else, not even Brian and Justin, which was kinda weird. Of course there were serious debates about new treatments, controversial treatments and all other things which occupied their life in the medical field. Then the conversations went to more personal subjects about the pregnancy and Troy's ex who by all accounts was not a nice woman. She couldn't imagine how he'd fallen in love with a cold woman reminiscent of Brian's mother while he couldn't understand how she'd fallen for a jerk like Steven. It was nice to have someone to talk to who hadn't known her before Daphne Chander's' life had spiraled beyond her rigid control.


 


"Hey Daph," Troy said as he came into the kitchen.


 


"Good morning, Troy. As you can probably tell, coffee is up. I just made a new round."


 


"Jesus, how many cups have you had that would require a new round? How long have you been up?" he asked as he poured himself a cup and opened the fridge for the cream.


 


She answered, "Probably since about four but maybe a little earlier. See why I should be going back to work?"


 


Troy laughed. "Nice try, Dr. Chanders. You can't wait for the vultures to start swarming again, can you?"


 


She had been begging him to go back early every morning he'd been there which was quite a lot. "It's not that per say. I miss the action."


 


"You know you could have had plenty of action these past two weeks but..."


 


Daphne laughed. "Nice try, Dr. Bradley. We've already had that conversation. Remember?"


 


"Yeah I do remember all too well. But it doesn't stop me from hoping you'll give me a chance someday. Besides, I hear I'm quite the catch."


 


"With an ego to match Brian Kinney's," she said smiling. "Who knows what the future holds, Troy. It's enough for me right now that I enjoy your company."


 


He beamed at her then. "Well lucky for you that I enjoy yours, too so this works for both of us. At least for now,"


 


She blushed but needed to diffuse the heat rising in the pit of her stomach. "As soon as you're finished you owe me a rematch, you know?"


 


"Uh-huh. I beat you to the top of the hill fair and square, Daphne Chanders."


 


She laughed and it was true. They had taken to running every morning that he'd visited. It was one of the other things she loved about the location of her house. "It's only gentlemanly to give me a rematch." She wouldn't tell him that she'd found a few shortcuts that would help her match him stride for stride. She was only five-six so it shouldn't be considered ‘cheating' but ‘creating a fair advantage' since he was the same height as Brian.


 


"I know you're planning something, Doc but I'll give you your rematch. Just don't come crying to me when you lose again." Troy paused for a moment. "On second thought feel free to cry all over me."


 


"You're incorrigible," Daphne said laughing and shaking her head. "But I can assure you, you won't win this time nor will there be any reason for me to cry."


 


"Oh really?"


 


"Yes really," Daphne said with the all the confidence she could muster.


 


"Tell you what Daph. Let's put a wager on this. If I win, we go on a real date."


 


Her smile faltered a bit. "And if I win?"


 


"I don't know. What do you want?"


 


Daphne thought long and hard about that question. There was no doubt she found him attractive. Fuck that, he was downright sexy standing there in a wife-beater and sweats. She could take Brian's advice and just fuck the hell out of him. It would be a one-time thing and unlike most women she was able to differentiate between sex and love. The question was what she really wanted from Troy. It was evident that he was not firmly in the ‘friendzone.' He'd been sort of like a companion over the past weeks but having sex with Justin years ago had almost ruined their friendship. Was she prepared to take the same risk with Troy? He had been watching her intently during her thoughts so she finally said, "Tell you what. I'll reserve mine for after I win."


 


"Fair enough," Troy said. "But you won't win."


 


And laughing they made their way out the back door to the trail.


 


*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


After Brian dropped Justin by Kinnetik and grabbed a triple non-fat Latte from Starbucks, he ended up at the first of the dreaded meetings of the morning. How he got roped into saying that he would meet Melanie Marcus that morning would always be a mystery. It was no secret that they couldn't stand each other. Well-that wasn't true entirely. They had enmity toward each other but when there was a problem they were there for each other. He understood her insecurities no matter how unwarranted. It didn't mean he excused them but he did understand them.


 


He went down the three steps leading to the hotel's dining area where they were scheduled to meet. He took the time to catch up on the financial section since he'd been unable to do it after the fuck and shower session with the hot blond he was for all intents and purposes married to. He marveled that the thought of being in a committed relationship didn't send him running and screaming like his hair was on fire. If someone had told him that he would feel content-happy even-on the night he'd met and deflowered seventeen year old Justin Taylor then he would have run screaming. But it was too late and there was no going back and he was absolutely fine with that.


 


"Good morning, Brian," Melanie said coming to stop at the table he was sitting.


 


"You look like shit, Mel. Rough night?" Brian asked her a slight smirk to his lips. It wouldn't pay to be outwardly sympathetic at all but he really wished it hadn't come to where it was leading.


 


"Fuck you, Brian."


 


"Hey if you just asked me here to insult me, I can leave now and tend to my actual business." He pushed back from the table getting ready to make good on it when she grabbed his hand.


"Please, Brian. Don't go. I really need to talk to you," Melanie pleaded looking up at him.


 


He sighed. The Munchers lesbianics was going to be the death of his sanity. He resumed his seat and took another long draught of his coffee. "Okay, Mel. Talk."


 


"I can't believe that I am about to ask you to do this but can you talk to Lindz. I know we have the hearing in a few hours and the other week I tried to talk to her but..."


 


Brian nodded. "You accused her of being unreasonable, Melanie. We both know that's not true so let's just cut the bullshit there. What is the real reason you don't want to move back here? It would solve everyone's problems especially JR's."


 


"Brian you have to understand. My life is there. There is the practice and the house and the contacts I've managed to make while working."


 


"I see." Brian nodded and he did see. "So you would risk your daughter's happiness for the advancement of your career?"


 


"Brian, that's not what I'm doing. This wouldn't even be an issue had Lindsey not left the marriage and moved back here without checking with me."


 


Brian shook his head in awe of how clueless Melanie seemed to be. "Mel, Lindsey's move back here was not spur of the moment. She had been thinking about it a long time.Gus definitely has been and JR doesn't like Canada regardless that it is basically the only home she ever really knew. Why can't you practice law here again? Take a couple of classes to bring your license up to date, retake the bar and then either work for another firm or start your own. Your win-loss ratio when you worked at the firm was not bad and would make most men piss in their pants. So again, I ask you what is the real reason you don't want to move back here?" Brian looked at her, really focusing in on her. "There's someone you don't want to leave behind, huh?"


 


Melanie closed her eyes briefly but when she reopened them she confirmed it with a single nod.


 


"How long, Melanie?"


 


"Brian I-"


 


"How fucking long?" Brian's question was sternly asked and he wouldn't allow her to back-peddle.


 


"Since just before you and Justin visited us in Toronto."


 


"Does Lindsey know?"


 


"I don't know, Brian. I think she might because now she suddenly wants to leave and establish her own life."


 


Brian shook his head. "That's a subject which has been plaguing her for years even before you began your affair. So why can't you move back here again?"


 


"Come on be serious, Brian. Do you have any idea how much it would cost me to fly back and forth providing I can get off work."


 


He raised a sardonic brow at her question. "No. I couldn't possibly understand the constant flights or fees associated with a long distance situation except that I have been in one for oh shall we say ten fucking years."


 


She jumped at the evident annoyance in his voice. "I'm sorry. I had forgotten about the situation with you and Justin. How's that going by the way?"


 


"Justin and I are fine. But back to you. You are going to have to find a way to make this work Melanie otherwise you are going to lose big time."


 


"What? You mean you agree with Lindsey? I should have known better than to think I could talk to you about this." She had risen from her chair.


 


"Sit down, Melanie," he said firmly. The tone of his voice although not raised made an immediate impact because she lowered herself immediately. "Understand this...I am not on anyone's side except Jenny Rebecca's. She loses in every way if you go back to Toronto. She loses the security of her family around her."


 


"I am her family, Brian."


 


He nodded before responding. "Yes you are her family but right now you are treating her as a pawn to get what you want. That's fucked up. The bottom line is she is happiest when she is with Gus and Lindsey. Why would you sacrifice your daughter to eat a pussy which may or may not be a forever kinda deal? JR is always going to be your daughter." Brian looked at his watch. He had exactly forty-five minutes to make it back to Kinnetik in time for the meeting. "Listen, Mel. You really need to think about what's at stake not just what you want."


 


"This coming from the biggest hedonist on the continent."


 


Brian laughed. "Yes I am the biggest hedonist in the U.S. although I suspect Justin could also claim the title. The point is that I have never sacrificed Gus' happiness just so I can be foot loose and fancy free or to show someone who's boss. You can decide what's best for you and deal with the consequences and there will be MANY or you can get your head out of your own ass and do right by JR. The choice is yours. As far as Lindz and your relationship, I don't need to tell you what I think about it but even without that other chick, I don't think she'll be coming back. She's happy with her job, amongst other things. But you need to decided what you're going to do within the next three hours. Now, I have to go."


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


In the two weeks since Carl Horvath came home to Pittsburgh, he'd wished more than not that he had stayed with his daughter and family indefinitely. It wasn't that he wasn't anxious to be reunited with Debbie or the other members of their family of which he'd unwittingly became the patriarch. It was all the drama which came with said family. Since he'd returned he learned that Melanie and Lindsey were splitting up and in a custody argument over visitation due to Jenny Rebecca, which thereby involved Michael. Michael is a head case all by himself. Carl mentally shook his head at that thought. He and Ben had been for all intents and purposes married for well over ten years yet Michael continued to chase after Brian. Justin had returned to Pittsburgh and is back with Brian which of course poses a problem for Michael. Meanwhile Ben has been hanging out with an old college chum who Michael also has a problem with. Someone is throwing darts at the Taylor-Kinney empire and Colby (Ben's friend) is trying to head off the attack. It was just too damn much.


 


Debbie had caught wind of most of it at the diner bearing witness to some of the altercations and insinuations Michael had thrown at Justin. He'd watched over the years how Debbie defend Michael's actions even knowing he was wrong. He'd called her on a few of those issues but Debbie was like a lioness when it came to her cub. She may not have agreed with his actions privately but publicly she had to defend him. That was the main cause of their own problems. He loved Deb and had for a very long time but he refused to let her live the fantasy that her supposedly grown son was perfect. She had asked him to step in and talk to Michael so to keep peace in his home, he'd agreed.


 


As he sat there over his morning coffee listening to him complain to his mother about the way everyone has been treating him since Prince Justin's return he finally decided that it would be a good time to voice his opinion.


 


"Michael, has it ever occurred to you to let Brian figure out what's best for himself? He's a grown man and has been even before he reached the age of consent. He's perfectly capable of making his own decisions."


 


"You don't understand, Carl. This scheming twink has been after Brian's money from the beginning. When Justin got kicked out, it was Brian who took him in. After the bashing, Justin cheated on him but Brian took him back. Then he goes off to New York and now he's back without a place to go. In comes Brian to the rescue again. I can't sit idly by and watch him get used again until the twink decides he wants something better again. Uh-huh no way."


 


Carl rolled his eyes and looked heavenward. He'd always believed in prayer but at that moment it seemed God himself was on a coffee break. "Listen, Michael, I understand your concerns but it is still Brian's choice to be with Justin. You need to worry about your own life with Ben. Brian is a big boy and can take care of himself."


"Brian is my best friend. I wouldn't be much of a friend if I just let him get hurt."


 


Carl had finally lost all patience and raised his voice. "Well you're not much of a best friend now if you cannot respect his choices." Taking a deep breath, he immediately tried to reason with the adult child in front of him. "Look, Michael, we all understand that you want to protect him. Somehow you think this is a "Super hero-Wing man" situation but this is real life, not a comic book. From what I've seen of Brian and Justin in the last two weeks alone, they are as committed as Debbie and I; as committed as you're supposed to be with Ben. Whatever you do now is going to either make or break your friendship with Brian. Do you really expect him to make a choice between the man he loves and you who he's also thought of as a brother?"


 


"I'm not asking him to make a choice; I'm asking him to see Justin for what he really is," Michael whined.


 


"And you think that Brian is so naive that he can't see a trap when there is one?"


 


"Not where Justin is concerned. God, why are you all so blind to that little blond boy?"


 


"No one is blind to anyone and that includes you. Your jealousy would even be visible to Stevie Wonder. You have a problem because whenever Justin is around and in some cases when he isn't, you are not number one in Brian's life. Well I have news for you, Michael. You were NEVER number one in Brian's life. Brian was. The best you could have hoped for was place two or three. Truthfully you're threatened because once Justin came, even from the night they met from what I've been told, you haven't occupied the number two spot either."


 


"Now hold on, Carl. I-" Debbie tried to intervene but Carl held up his hand.


 


"No Debbie, he needs to hear the cold hard facts. The problem is that no one has bothered to really lay them out to him long before now. You all thought he couldn't handle hearing it and now look what you have. A spoiled child trapped in a grown man's body."


 


"Now you just hold on a second," Michael tried to defend himself.


 


"No you hold on, Michael. You need to understand the difference between boyfriend and best friend. You have never and will never be Brian's boyfriend, bed partner, life partner or any other kind of partner. That position has already been filled by Justin Taylor and seriously you're not cut out for it. If you keep it up the best friendposition that you have now is going to be vacant as well." Rising from the table, Carl finished off his coffee as he noted the stunned faces of both Michael and Debbie. He leaned over to place a kiss in the partially open mouth of the latter. "I'll call you later from the station."


 


Debbie recovered first. "Why are you going to the station, Carl? I thought the perk of being retired is that you didn't have to go there anymore."


 


"I'm going to see Larry Smith. His father and I were partners my first three years on the job so I've known him since he was a pup. He transferred from the NYPD right after that whole Prop 14 mess. I heard Stockwell is back in town and that could only mean one thing... and it ain't good."


 


Debbie nodded. "Well be safe and dinner's at six." She watched him close the door then turned to look at Michael who was still stunned from the dressing down Carl had given him. "Shouldn't you be getting ready for the hearing? Another thing you shouldn't be involved in by the way."


 


Michael had finally recovered his voice. "JR is my daughter, Ma. It's my duty as her father to be there."


 


"It's amazing that you remembered that. So far the only one I can see acting as any sort of parent in this situation- and I can't even believe I'm about to say this-is Brian. I understand why Lindsey moved back here to Pittsburgh and there isn't a doubt in my mind the move has been better for Gus. But the three of you could've settled this amongst yourselves if you and Melanie would have tried to see Lindsey's side of things."


 


"Melanie and I are Jenny's parents, not Lindsey. There shouldn't even be a question about visitation. She left the marriage. She decided to move back here without checking with Melanie first. She-"


 


"Oh I'm so sorry, Michael. I didn't realize that marriage was a short word for maximum security prison. What I also find amazing is that you and Melanie forget that if it wasn't for Lindsey, Jenny would be a lot worse off. You two sure as hell couldn't find the time to raise her. You with your gallivanting all over the globe following Ben and everything with Melanie is and always has been centered on her career. In truth Lindsey IS much more of a parent to that little girl than the two of you but no...your pride can't let you acknowledge that, can it?" After saying her piece, Debbie moved off into the kitchen to clean up the breakfast dishes before it was time for her to head to work. Whereas Michael had no choice but to sit and digest all of Debbie's words.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Justin walked into the conference room relieved to have finally found Lindsey. It wasn't that he was worried she was going to miss the meeting. In truth, he had initially had reservations about her working for him because of their shared history and entwined present. But it had turned out that Lindsey had been a godsend as his personal assistant. She knew what needed to be done in all facets and it took some of the pressure off of him with running the day-to-day operations of JT Designs. Since buying the former Bloom Gallery, Lindsey and he had managed with the help of Jennifer, to renovate and come up with new ideas on the set up of the gallery. It helped that she had an artist eye and could catch Justin's vision easily. With her at his side he had no doubt that the JTK Bloom Gallery would be as successful and maintain its place as the leading gallery of Pittsburgh.


 


"What's on your mind, Lindz?" He asked while sliding a chair out and sitting next to her. He was a little bothered by the deer in headlights look in her eyes.


 


"Nothing," she said and then revised it once she noticed the all-knowing look. "Everything."


 


Justin laughed. "Wow, you're a veritable fount of information this morning."


 


Lindsey chuckled in return. "Well I do my best."


 


" No, seriously, Lindz. What's bothering you? I know you've received your degree from the 'Brian Kinney School of How to Separate Business from Personal Feelings' but this is just us and the meeting hasn't started yet. So what's up?"


 


He watched her gaging his sincerity and finally nodded before she spoke. "I'm a little worried about the hearing this afternoon. I keep hoping that somehow Mel and Michael will have a change of heart and not go through with this. No one in a custody fight stays clean but I just want to visit JR. She along with Gus, have been my entire existence until recently. I don't think the fact that I'm not a biological parent should negate the fact that I am her mother just as much as Melanie is."


 


Justin nodded in agreement. "I don't think you have anything to worry about, Lindz. Anyone who has eyes to see and ears to hear can tell how much you love that little girl. I think Melanie's pride is calling the shots with this one."


 


"You're right is about pride but ultimately I'm afraid that Jenny's going to suffer for it. I can't understand what is so difficult about Melanie moving back here. Jenny hates Toronto. Gus and I hated Toronto although we all tried to make the best of our situation. I'm not trying to take anything away from Michael nor Melanie but that's the way they make it sound. Michael is just in it to say he is Jenny's father which I think is bullshit but you know... As far as Melanie, I think she is using Jenny as a pawn to get me to do exactly what she wants. I'm not going to but then there is Jenny. How could I not do everything in my power to stay apart of her life? She is for all intents and purposes just as much my child as Gus is regardless of the fact I didn't give birth to her." She swiped at a tear and Justin's heart nearly broke. He reached out to take her hand.


 


"Lindz, I don't want you to worry about this. We will figure something out if an amicable arrangement can't be reached today. Regardless of everything and the little fights we have amongst ourselves, we're all still family. Although I shudder to consider Michael Novotny family in any way."


 


That earned a laugh from Lindsey. "You know what that's about."


 


"Yeah I do. He wants to be the one on Brian's lap but that position is already filled and will be filled again today."


 


"Promises, promises," Brian said coming through the conference room doorway. Justin got up to kiss him hello as Lindsey sat in the chair laughing. He held Justin around the waist nuzzling at the sweet spot behind his ear. Letting him go, Brian took his place at the head of the table with Justin resuming his seat by Lindsey's side. "I've had a very interesting meeting prior to coming here."


 


"Oh? New account?" Lindsey asked.


 


"Not exactly," Brian responded. "I was actually trying to lay out all the reasons that Melanie should move back to Pittsburgh."


 


"I take it she wasn't happy with your recommendations," Lindsey said feeling a fresh round of tears forming but determined to hold them back. Brian would be too unnerved and it would cause him to yell. She was already a bundle of nerves and knew she couldn't take that.


 


"No she wasn't exactly happy with my suggestions but I think she'll have to take each one of them into consideration before the hearing this afternoon. I'll tell her that I would even be willing to pay the relocation costs and help her enroll in school to get her started."


 


Justin and Lindsey's mouth gaped open but it was Justin who spoke. "Who are you and what have you done with Brian Kinney?"


 


Brian chuckled remembering hearing that from his partner not too long ago. "Don't worry, Sunshine, I'm still me. The invasion of the body snatchers hasn't happened yet."


 


"That's rather generous of you, Brian but why would you do that?" Lindsey asked. "I mean it's no secret that the two of you really can't stand each other. She does everything to undermine your role in Gus' life and our lives in general not to mention blaming you for everything that's happened between she and I. Why would you want to help her establish herself here?"


 


Brian nodded at everything Lindsey said but his reason was quite simple and the most important to him. "Jenny and Gus are my reasons. I don't give a shit what happens between you two. You're adults but JR and Gus are different. They are siblings no matter that they aren't blood related. They are life related. Both of you know how I grew up although you don't know the full story and for this you don't need to. What you do need to know is that I would never wish the feelings I had during that time on any kid especially not Jenny and Gus. So that's why I'm offering that to Melanie. No child should grow up in misery at the hands of their parents."


 


Justin couldn't help the bright smile that lit his face when listening to Brian. He knew from many conversations with Brian that he would try to solve the problem even though he'd told Justin he wouldn't. It was one of the things he loved most about Brian although if Justin ever mentioned how generous Brian really was he would probably be drawn and quartered. Lindsey however, had no such perplexity.


 


"You really are amazing, Brian and I can't thank you enough for this. I hope she sees the wisdom and value in what you're offering and takes the deal."


 


"It's an investment. Hopefully she's as smart as she thinks she is and does, too."


 


"That will only leave the problem of Michael to deal with."


 


Brian sighed. "Leave Michael to me. There are some things only one father can say to another one and thanks to your uterus, Lindz, that leaves you out of it. I'll have Cynthia invite him to lunch after the hearing this afternoon."


 


"Why after?" Justin asked for both him and Lindsey.


 


"We need to know what Melanie has decided before I talk to him."


 


"Wait-you're going?" Lindsey.


 


Taking a page out of Justin's book, he said, "Well duh...how can I make the offer if I'm not there? Besides, my presence will also keep Michael in line towards you. He's been a bit of a fucking brat lately."


 


"More like a twat," Justin mumbled but Brian heard him and nodded.


 


"However true that is, Sunshine, he still has to be reasoned with. He wanted my attention so I'll give it to him even if he doesn't like the end results." Brian shrugged at the last which Justin nodded to in return.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


As Brian finished his last statement, Cynthia, Ted, Jennifer and surprisingly Myrna filed into the conference room. The latter flitted over to Justin and Brian, giving a kiss on the cheek to the former and a wink to the latter. Brian, who had liked her instantly when they were meeting over SKYPE, now fell in love with the five-foot-four inch dynamo and understood instantly why Justin was so enamored of her.


 


"When did you get in and how long are you here for?" Justin asked her.


 


"It's nice to see you, too." She chuckled then grew serious. "I got in late last night and I've decided to stick around for awhile especially since I fired my assistant."


 


"You actually got rid of that queen? Has the Apocalypse occurred and I didn't know it?"


 


Myrna laughed and shook her head. "It turns out that someone from one of the known threats to your finances had managed to build a relationship with him through another of my clients. You remember David Cotton?"


 


"Yeah, I remember him. Uptight asshole but relatively harmless so what happened?"


 


"You might want to sit down for this one, Justin."


 


"I would rather stand," he said already feeling his hackles rising.


 


She nodded then taking a deep breath continued. "Perhaps I should wait for Aurora and Daniel to come in before explaining all this."


 


Brian cut in then. "No just tell us now. Colby is on his way and it's best that we have a clear understanding of what you found. Don't worry, we can handle it." He grabbed Justin's right hand feeling the tension already begin in the muscles.


 


"Okay. You already know that this whole business with your finances is personal. Well my jackass former assistant tried to access your file. I'm glad that you advised me when we first met to put it on a separate network. However there was some information he was able to get hold of and passed the information on to Daniel Cotton's associate. So Samuel Hobbs, Junior has more information than he should about you. He knows that you own JT Designs, JTK Bloom Gallery and newly opened TK Properties."


 


"That's all public knowledge so I'm not quite following," Justin said.


 


"He knows that the last two are also owned by Brian Kinney. There are certain rumors floating about in New York about Babylon and the explosion that happened there some years ago. Some people suspect that the Hobbs family helped the person responsible to escape prosecution."


 


"So you think whoever the ass hat was would try something like that again?" Brian asked.


 


"More than likely," Myrna confirmed. "The good news is that there isn't a statute of limitations on murder and eight people died that night. The bad news is that no one knows who's responsible."


 


"There's more isn't there?" That question came from Lindsey. Ted and Cynthia also sat on the edge of their seats listening avidly to the exchange.


 


"Yeah. There is unfortunately. A certain former police chief recently got sprung from federal prison and has moved back to Pittsburgh. He is currently staying at his good friend's house per Aurora. We already know that Craig Taylor is involved but we don't know the extent."


 


"Just the fact that he's involved in this at all is a disgrace," Jennifer chimed in.


 


"There is also the fact that Brian and Justin hold the deed to the building where Taylor Electronics is located. It was mixed in with one of the property companies we just took over and merged with our own," Ted added.


 


Myrna again nodded in agreement. "So there are two ways you can play this hand, Brian and Justin. Either you can evict him which will of course incur his wrath."


 


"Well we already have that, don't we." Justin said sardonically. "The other option is to let him stay and see where all this leads. That is what you were going to say, right?"


 


"That's exactly right. The good thing is that you actually have the upper hand over Craig Taylor. You could demand that he stop trying to undermine your businesses in exchange for his own or you could wait and find out what he's up to with the Hobbs family and Stockwell."


 


Aurora and Quinn walked into the meeting. After exchanging greetings with everyone assembled and being brought up to speed on the conversation thus far, Aurora spoke for she and Quinn. "The thing is we don't know how far into this Craig is. We don't know what his motive would be."


 


"I can answer that," Jennifer said. "Craig blames Brian for ‘turning our son gay' which is absolutely ridiculous. Justin always knew he was not into girls. The other problem Craig has is that he blames Justin for breaking up our marriage which is also ridiculous. He was unfaithful so really once Justin came out and he decided that Justin had no place in our family, there was really no reason to stay. He is currently unhappy with the success of Brian and Justin and somehow feels that payback is due especially since people have long memories. They remember when he had Justin arrested during a peaceful protest to stop Proposition 14 some ten years ago. His business has since fallen off considerably. So much so that if Molly hadn't won a partial scholarship to Dartmouth, Craig wouldn't have been able to pay the outstanding balance of the tuition. Molly keeps up their relationship solely for her little brother and for no other reason. Whenever Justin and Brian are mentioned he is known to rant and rave about how unjust it is that he, a God-fearing man has a harder time than those "unrighteous fags." Never mind that one of the people he speaks of is his firstborn child who is happy with his life. He hates Brian and he hates what Justin has become-his words not mine, Honey-and can't stomach the fact that they are successful or the fact that I am now married to Tucker, operate a successful business and am happy. He is also disappointed that Molly has chosen her career over raising a family. You don't even want to know who he advocated her marrying. He is a blatant homophobe and he is extremely bitter; a truly dangerous combination."


 


"So again, guys, it's all in your court how you want to play this out," Myrna said. "If it were me, I would evict him and let the chips fall where they may."


 


"I agree with you, Myrna," Brian said. "But their son is only about seven and his wife is a former debutante."


 


"More like a twit," Jennifer said causing a sudden burst of laughter throughout the room.


 


Brian smiled. "I certainly agree with your assessment, Mother Taylor but if we leave him without any income that kid will suffer. No matter how much I hate him, I can't abide that so we have to come up with another option."


 


"I'm honestly more concerned with how to stop Samuel Hobbs and the unknown threat there. If what they say is true about the explosion, how can we protect our businesses and residents from a repeat occurrence? We can't." Justin said.


 


"Debbie told me that Carl was going to see the new Police Chief this morning. Maybe he'll have some insight of what to do," Jennifer informed the group.


 


"But he doesn't have all the information we just acquired."


 


"No but one of Carl's former associates is the head of our security for Kinnetik, Corp. Everett Hamilton has been with us for the last six years and has always done well by us. So between Everett, Carl and Tony, I think the security portion should be well handled." Brian squeezed Justin's right hand in reassurance. He was pleased to note the action calmed Justin down immediately. It wasn't that Justin was afraid for himself or for Brian but the others involved both directly and indirectly. "Theodore, I need you to work the security details into each of the property expenses and let me know the final figures. Also I need you to run me figures for a relocation from Toronto and some law school information as well. Jennifer, how close is Molly to finishing her degree?"


 


"This is the last semester and then she is finished. She'll be graduating in January."


 


"I need her to talk to the Dean of the degree program she's in to find out if there is a way to accelerate the program. I don't trust Craig farther than I can spit."


 


"Wait...you don't think he would harm her do you?"


 


He shook his head. "I don't but I'm pretty sure the people he is currently playing nice with won't have any problems doing so. I will not have her or anyone else being used as a pawn in this sick twisted game." Everyone heard the determination in Brian's voice and the same look registered on Justin's.


 


"Have you two been able to make heads or tails-no pun intended-of the situation within the art department yet?" Cynthia asked.


 


Justin smiled brightly at her innuendo. "Yes. Brian and I discussed it this morning on the way in. In fact we think the idea will actually benefit the entire company as opposed to just the Art Department. It will also benefit the gallery and give Jennifer some much needed assistance where TK Properties is concerned. Brian and I decided that the best way to handle the situation within the art department is to take the top three interns from PIFA and give Fred charge over all the interns within the building thus creating another department and title. He would keep his current salary but he would be out of Charles' way on the creative side. Since we hired him for his management skills it shouldn't be a problem. We'll also be looking at the top five students from Carnegie Mellon as well in their chosen fields as long as it's beneficial to Kinnetik such as Accounting and Marketing. These particular students should already be on scholarships so that the money we give them can be put to use for when they graduate and need housing. We already fund several scholarships and grants for the under-served in the community through the Vic Grassi Foundation, so this is strictly as life experience for these students. Also if they do well, we will offer to keep them on after graduation if that's what they want. They will also be under Fred's direct supervision. Because this is a customized boutique operation, I think that even if they choose to go somewhere else, it's valuable learning experience. Lindsey, I would want third year art students to work the floor of the gallery and the fourth year students to learn management skills in the gallery. These are lessons I had to pretty much learn on my own but it never hurts to pay it forward. So really we would need a total of six. Once you come up with a short list, we'll decide together."


 


"Cynthia and Ted, does this work for you?" Brian asked them.


 


"It does," Cynthia answered. "I had to break up another disagreement before this meeting so the sooner we can get this done, the better for me."


 


"Myrna, I would need you to draw up specific non-disclosure agreements for these students. I would really like it if they aren't allowed to even discuss that they are working for Kinnetik, Corp. or any of the subsidiaries. Based on the current situation in mine and Justin's personal lives and with the incessant pain in the ass, Kip Thomas hanging around still trying to gather information, I don't want them to be put in an awkward place."


 


"That won't be a problem, Brian. I can have those to you by the end of the week."


 


"Good because I would like this program started by next week before Cynthia enters kick ass mode. Ted, Justin and I have seen that mode and we're not anxious for a repeat performance. By the way, Cyn, can you and Ted fill Colby in when he arrives? I was supposed to meet with him this afternoon but I'm going with Lindsey." She nodded her assent and threw him a understanding look stamped with her approval. Cynthia knew what Lindsey would be up against having to face Melanie Marcus and Michael Novotny. They were never a catalyst for patience but together they would push Lindsey over the edge and she would automatically lose, lawyer present or not.


 


The meeting adjourned with Lindsey and Brian heading to the hearing to decide Jenny Rebecca's fate. Justin headed over to the diner to meet with Emmett about "Commitment Weekend" and Jennifer and Aurora headed to Vittorio's for lunch to renew their acquaintance. Ted and Cynthia left the meeting feeling like a lot was accomplished. The only one mildly worried was Daniel Quinn. Mark Townsend had tried the accounts again that morning and although he had heard from Colby Butler directly, Daniel knew Mark was drawing closer to breaking the encryption codes. He sent up a silent prayer as he stepped into the sunshine that everything would work out.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Ethan emerged from the liquor store when he spotted Justin walking into Liberty Diner. Brian wasn't with him so he thought it would be a perfect chance to make his case of why he and Ethan should resume their relationship. Cutting across traffic he dodged several cars in his quest to get there before Justin had a chance to engage in conversation with someone else. He deserved all of Justin's attention not just some.


Stepping into the diner, he noticed that Kiki the waitress had just finished taking Justin's order and moved silently through the thrum of patrons leaving. "Well this is a nice surprise," he said to Justin, inviting himself to the other side of the empty booth. Justin continued to look over the documents in front of him.


"For whom is it nice, Ethan? Certainly not me."


He deliberately ignored the abrasive remark Justin made, determined to maintain control and to make Justin want him back. "I see your guard dog isn't with you today. Are you expecting him?" Justin looked up at him then. Good.


"If you mean Brian then let me assure you first that he is anything but a dog. You, however, are a bitch. Now that I have that comparison out of the way, what do you want?"


"I want to talk with you."


"Well then start talking and make it fast. I'm meeting someone I actually want to speak with for lunch."


Ethan could feel his blood begin to boil at Justin's dismissive words but he was determined to remain cool. "I want to know why you are with Brian instead of me."


Justin sighed and huffed out a decidedly annoyed breath. "I thought this was explained thoroughly the last time, Ethan. You and I have been finished for many years.Move the fuck on. I have and am extremely happy with my decision to do so. You would think the fact that I erased every single one of your numerous text messages before bothering to answer them would have told you all that you needed to know. I am NOT interested. I am, for all intents and purposes, MARRIED to the man who has always held my heart in the palm of his hand and have been in my world since I was seventeen. You were an affair; one mistake in a long line which I cannot erase no matter how much I would like to. I cannot be any plainer than that.


Just then, Justin was saved from saying anything else but he knew trouble was on the horizon. Debbie came over to say hello and was surprised to see Ethan. That could be explained but it was the triumphant, arrogant and malicious look on Michael Novotny's face which caused Justin's heart to beat hard. Fortunately, Emmett came in behind them and he too stopped short when he spotted Ethan.


Floating over to where Justin sat, he leaned down and kissed his cheek. "Hey, Sweetie. Everything okay?"


Justin visibly relaxed. "Everything is fine, Em. Ethan was just leaving, weren't you?"


Ethan shifted out of the booth, squeezing past Emmett and Debbie. Michael still stood at the end of the counter looking smugly at Justin. "This isn't over Justin. I want you back and I will do whatever it takes to have you."


"There is nothing you can possibly do, Ethan. Now for the last time, leave me the fuck alone."


Ethan exited the building forming thoughts and plans when a voice called "Hey" behind him. Ethan tried his best to place the familiar face but was unable to at that moment.


"Do I know you?" Ethan asked.


"Probably not directly or you don't remember me. Debbie is my mom. I'm Michael Novotny. I couldn't help but see you with Justin."


"Yes. What of it?"


"What was that about?"


"Why does it concern you?" Ethan had turned to walk again but Michael wouldn't give up.


"He just happens to be involved with my best friend."


"Brian Kinney is your best friend?" Ethan began to walk a little faster.


"Yeah since we were fourteen. Look, I have a proposition for you but this has to stay between us. I don't want them together and apparently neither do you."


Ethan stopped walking suddenly interested in what Michael had to say. "So what are you proposing? Justin has made it clear that nothing and no one is separating them."


"Do you drive?"


"Yes I do but what does that have to do with it?"


Digging into his pocket he pulled out the small notebook he usually carried and a pen. "I want you to be at this address on Friday night at eight-thirty. Don't be late and wear a suit. And for the love of God, do something with your hair and shave. Oh and bring your violin. I think it will be a nice surprise for Justin."


"You really think so?"


"Oh I know so. See you." Michael left Ethan to walk home then while humming Paganini's Cantabile in D major.