- Text Size +

John sought out Emmett and Drew who were as expected locked in a tight embrace. Emmett was in the midst of a major "queenout" as he'd heard it called. Apparently, Darren had gotten an offer at the last minute to play Shandra-La which he couldn't pass up since it was for Senator Grayson- an avid supporter of gay rights. Whereas Emmett understood, it still didn't help the sudden increase in workload.

Before John could check himself he asked, "What can I do to help?"

Emmett looked for the voice which had spoken and was surprised that it was John Townsend. He regained his composure instantly. "Jenn, Anita and Archie could use the most help. Can you cook?"

"You bet your flaming ass I can." He regretted the words the minute they left his mouth. He'd have to remember to be more careful in the future.

So he was equally surprised that instead of the berating he was expecting instead he got the biggest laugh from Emmett Honeycutt. "Well my flaming ass is about to thank God that your uber-masculine ass can. How are you with desserts?"

"Let me put it this way: Peter and I wouldn't be alive today if I wasn't able to put together an array of comfort food including German Chocolate cake, Coconut Cream pie and Red Velvet cupcakes. Add to that pineapple Upside Down and Caramel Pound cake and you'll have our entirely edible menu for my senior year in high school. My mother and grandmother left a lot to be desired in the kitchen and were too self-absorbed to learn to make food worth eating."

"My you're just full of surprises, aren't ya?" Emmett said while Drew smiled.

"You'll learn, Emmett. Straight men are just as good in the kitchen as the gay ones."

"Ooh, and the Kinney arrogance firmly in tact," Emmett smiled wide. "Well Chef Boy are John, get to it. And thanks. You really didn't have to help us out."

John smiled shyly. No one besides Peter had thanked him before. "I know I didn't, Em but it's important to me that I could."

"See, Emmett? I told you you were worrying for no reason. There are too many of us not to be able to support each other," Drew said.

"How do you think things are going down at the station, Drew? I can only hope what we all said to the officers this morning helped. But Justin hasn't called. No one has."

"Tell you what, Em. I'll take a ride down there and find out what's going on. But you have to promise me something."

"Anything," Em said. He was so fucking worried and he felt helpless even though he knew this was important for Brian and Justin, too.

"No more tears. I can't bear the thought of someone else holding you other than me when you're crying. Besides, I'd rather make you cry a different way." Drew smiled the one reserved only for Emmett.

"Aw Drewsie. You say the sweetest things to keep this little gay boy happy." Emmett gave kissed him full on the mouth but stopped before they could take it any further. That would have to wait until later. The last time someone had made him this happy was when his sweet George Schickle was alive and well. And even though his time with Ted was special and they had happy moments, they were just wrong as companions. Same with Cal Culpepper. Drew Boyd was a different matter altogether and Em was glad that they were both ready when Drew came back. "Now go on and call me to let me know what's happening. Our friends have waited entirely too long for this day to happen and I need to know if I have to break the power tools out to bust Brian out of prison. And even though he could make anything look hot and trendy, that gaudy orange is not in his color wheel."

Drew laughed. He couldn't help it. Leave it to Emmett to turn sour grapes into a sour apple martini. But that was what Drew loved most about Emmett Honeycutt. "I'll call you. Be good, Emmett."

"Sugar, I'm always good. I just save the badness for you." He smacked Drew on the butt as he moved off earning him a chuckle in the process.


Turning abruptly, Emmett went back into drill sergeant mode getting seating set up in rooms where it was limited. Justin's agent was a gem. Henry was as much of a micro-manager as Emmett so he'd put him in charge of getting the guest rooms prepared for the people who would be staying in the already country manor. He remembered when he'd told Brian that it was too much house for just Justin and him. Brian had laughed and scoffed that Emmett was being too over-dramatic. Considering the amount of guests plus the ones staying, Emmett was certainly grateful for the extra space just then. Dawn, Lindsey and Amy were with floral arrangements and making sure that Justin's artwork and pictures that Brian himself had done, showed to their best advantage especially since there were going to be more people in the house. Ben walked in the door just as Emmett was zipping by.


"Hey. What are you doing here?" He hugged him.

Ben breathed a sigh of relief and embraced Emmett back. "I figured you guys could use the help. I wasn't sure I would be welcomed so I just took the chance and came anyway."

"Honey, no one is blaming you for what Michael did. We all tried to stop him, I imagine you did more than any of us. Daphne and Troy told us what happened last night over at her house."

"It was the hardest decision of my life, Em but a must. I can't understand nor get through to him anymore. I left him packing him packing his things. I think he'll be better off at Debbie's." They were silent for a few moments each absorbed in his own thoughts before Ben spoke again. "Well. This isn't about the end of my marriage but the beginning of one we've all waited a long damn time for."

Emmett laughed. "And just think, I've been waiting a lot longer than you. Let's see if we can get everything else set up. Colby is around here somewhere. Between the two of you muscle men, we should be able to get the rest of the heavy lifting done."

"I'm all yours."


Ted, Blake and Peter were shifting other things around in the game room so Emmett found Colby on the way to the media room. He was also grateful that Ben had shown up since Drew was on his way down to the police station to check on Brian and Justin. Ben and Colby would be in charge of rearranging the media room. Brian's idea, of course, was for everyone to eat and go home. Justin being a WASP, advised that it would be better to it right since this was the only thing resembling a reception that they would ever have. Brian reluctantly agreed after much cajoling and coddling by his Twink. It was almost time for the guests to arrive so Emmett took one last round of the activity going on around the house. He was pleased to see that John fit right in with Jenn and Anita, who were equally delighted to have him take over the desserts. Archie was kind of put out having to work with a straight guy but even he had to admit that the young man knew what he was doing in the kitchen.

Assured that everything was under control and moving along nicely, he went to change for the party. The funny thing is that Justin had asked the family to wear colors that reflected the colors found in Brian's eyes. An incredibly romantic idea and befitted Justin's artistically trained eyes. The only problem was that Brian had in turn asked the family to wear shades of blue for the same reason. It was amazing to Emmett how much Justin had changed Brian in that he actually cared enough to think of that small detail due to the photographer they hired to capture the event. What wasn't really termed a wedding was keeping with all the traditional elements and Emmett couldn't have been more pleased. The only thing was the noticeable absence of the more traditional flowers, such as roses, due to Justin's allergies. Brian hadn't wanted anything that could cause an adverse reaction in Justin but with a little research, Emmett was able to substitute those with Gardenia "Golden Magic" plants which he had placed in every room which would bloom nicely over time as long as kept from the harsh winter cold.

Emmett pulled out turquoise turtleneck and chocolate brown slacks, admiring the way the colors played off of each other, much like the honorees themselves. After taking a quick shower, he applied a little product to his hair and put on a little midnight blue liner to bring out the color of his eyes- an effect Drew both loved and hated in equal measure but understood. He was slipping on his clothes when he heard the doorbell ring. He was still worried about Brian and Justin but he knew that he had to go downstairs and get things underway.

Waving away one of his staff, he took a deep breath before opening the massive oak door. About twenty of the guests had arrived at the same time but the two of the three which held his attention were accompanied by a man who would rival even Brian Kinney himself. He recognized the women immediately.


"Welcome to Britin, Ms. Brent and Ms. Chambers. I am Emmett Honeycutt and will be your host in the interim." He ushered them into the living room and closed the door. Despite the snow the previous night, it was one of the warmer days in November but there was still a bite to the crisp air.

Sharlene answered for them all while shedding their outerwear. "Thank you, Mr. Honeycutt. This is our real estate agent and also our partner in Avlossa, Jason Dumas. I know that Brian and Justin weren't expecting him but we recently acquired a business in Pittsburgh and it was necessary for him to accompany us. I hope that won't be an issue."

Emmett smiled. Her voice was like honey, deep and rich with a faint accent. "No I don't think that will be an issue. And Emmett is just fine. No need for such formalities. Unless that's what you're comfortable with?"

Her companion said, "It's absolutely fine, Emmett. I'm Bethany and wee usually use the shortened version of Sharlene's name. As for Jason, we won't tell you what we usually call him so I guess Jason will have to do."

He laughed at her honesty and knew instantly that Brian and Justin would love them. In a way they reminded him of Melanie and Lindsey where one was more formal than the other.

Jason spoke then. "Don't mind these two, Emmett. Besides I'm sure Brian and Justin won't mind me being here. In fact, I'm almost looking forward to the surprise. I haven't seen Justin since his return to Pittsburgh. I take it he and Brian have made their peace?"

Emmett was a bit taken aback although in retrospect he probably shouldn't have been. Jason looked like he could have been a former trick of Brian's or Justin's or part of one of their numerous threesomes over the years. Classically handsome with a movie star quality, even in casual clothes, he looked as if he could have just stepped off the cover of GQ magazine. The deep tenor of his voice was enough to even make Emmett mentally drool momentarily. Emmett almost forgot that he needed to make a call when looking into the sparkling gray with gold flecks of his eyes. He snapped back to reality and remembered his manners as Jason smirked knowingly. Yep. He and Brian were definitely cut from the same cloth. "Yes. Brian and Justin thankfully have made their peace. In fact this is a reception of sorts since they had a commitment ceremony last night."

"Wait? They actually got married?" Jason asked incredulously. "Brian Kinney actually said I do? Hell must have frozen over or there are headless horsemen running all over Europe by now."

Emmett laughed. "Based on that response, I would say you must know Brian pretty well. Make yourselves comfortable while I find out what's keeping he and Justin."


He moved off still speculating how Brian and Justin had met the handsome and outspoken Jason. He was sure there was a story there but it would have to wait. He was just about to dial Drew when his cell phone rang.

It wasn't Drew but Deb on his phone. He listened intently as she informed him that Michael had taken his and Ben's other car and was on his way to Britin.


"You have got to be kidding me," was all he could say.