- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

There are quite a few scenes in Chapter 34 so I divided them into parts. Most of the action takes place at Britin but then we have other notable things happening at First National Bank and let's not forget Ethan has to be served his restraining order as well. Chapter 34 and all of its parts are definitely plot-driven, angsty and have some humorous moments to balance out the drama (well at least I hope so)! Happy Reading! ~Nichelle    

CHAPTER 34 

FCUK!!!!!


Drew arrived at the police station. Walking up to Brian, he caught the tail end of a very stressful and obviously hurtful conversation. He could only guess who was on the end of that call based on the unguarded look on Brian's face. Throughout the years, he and Brian had become good friends. He only had one stipulation to allowing Drew back into the inner sanctum of those he considered family- don't hurt Emmett. When Brian threatened to have Drew murdered if he did so, Drew believed wholeheartedly that Brian would. He wasn't intrusive into their private lives but he was always a presence, a shoulder to lean on for tears and advice... in short Brian Kinney was one of the best men Drew knew especially since coming out over ten years ago. So it pained him to see an honorable man like Brian having to endure a betrayal from the one person no one thought had it in him.

"Emmy Lou sent you to check up on us, did he?" Brian asked by way of greeting.

"Yeah, he was pretty distraught just before I left." He typed a quick message to Emmett advising that all of them would be returning soon.

Figuring Brian needed to take his mind of the current situation, he began to give him a play-by-play of what was taking place at the house. Brian laughed out loud at Drew's account of the banter between Em and John. It made him feel good that he had at least been able to give Brian a little sustaining humor to lighten his notably gloomy mood. In turn, Brian filled him in on all that's been going on there at the station. Drew nearly blew a gasket when Brian told him of Ethan's statement and accusations.

Brian sighed deeply. "I hate that little fucker but he doesn't matter."

"You're right, Brian. What does is that you and Blondie in there finally got your acts together. That's what counts," Drew said.

Before Brian could say respond, Justin emerged from the entrance with a smiling Myrna and Melanie following close behind. The relief pouring off of Justin was palpable even to Drew. He could only imagine the trauma the young man had been through in the last twenty-four hours alone. But Justin Taylor hadn't bent or crumbled; he stood tall and fought for what was his- both literally and figuratively. Drew couldn't help but respect him for it.

"Ready to go home, Sunshine?" Brian asked grabbing Justin around the waist as Drew and the others looked on. Drew found himself smiling at the display. A few years ago, Brian would never have been so open about his feelings but it was great to see him happy at last.

"More than, Stud," Justin said burrowing into Brian's chest and hugging him back closely. "Ethan Gold shouldn't be a problem for us anymore."

"What happened?" Drew couldn't take the suspense anymore.

Justin answered without releasing his hold on Brian. "I showed them the numerous text messages and emails over the last couple of months. The most damning were the ones from the night I decided to stay with Brian for good and my text to Brian after Ethan cornered me earlier this week in the Diner when I was waiting for Em to arrive. They gave credence to my need for a restraining order. I have to file one when I get back to Pittsburgh.

"Justin will also need to file with the NYPD precincts closest to his home and business interests in New York and he will have to go there periodically. This will prevent Ethan from being within five hundred feet of him at any given time," Myrna explained.

"Do you think he'll obey it?"

Melanie answered, "If he knows what's good for him, he will. There's enough to charge him now where he would do jail time. If he adheres to the restraining order guidelines, he won't be charged with stalking. The major anvil hanging over his head right now is the fact that he falsified a police report and trespassing. Criminal Mischief is bad enough but added to the trespassing and possible stalking charge, he could be looking at jail time. Ethan knew that regardless of Michael inviting him, he would not be welcomed to Brian and Justin's home. So technically Brian was within his rights to defend his home and the people in it. Had they made the mistake of arresting Brian, there would have been grounds for a lawsuit."

"I wonder if I can file assault charges on Ethan," Brian said.

"What for?" Melanie asked. "Everyone there saw you literally kick his ass. The only thing saving your scrawny ass right now is the ample behind Justin."

"He made my ears bleed playing that fucking screeching cat torturing music. That should count for something. I had to endure that shit for the longest thirty seconds of my life. Now THAT was abuse," Brian said matter-of-factly.

Everyone laughed. Drew shook his head. Leave it to Brian to make light of what could have been a sad and serious situation. It helped relieve any lingering sadness Justin may have had was gone, evident by the return of his infamous mega-watt smile. Once again, Drew was struck by the pair and how well-suited they were. Each had the ability to bring the other out of their troubles and back into a place of peace. Watching Brian and Justin and their constant need of contact from each other, he realized that he and Emmett did the same thing for each other.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Daniel heard the five pings while passing by Mark's office. He knew what they indicated and the danger his clients as well as Mark Townsend were now in. While working to combat the potential problem, it didn't seem quite real. Now it was. FUCK!! Pulling out his cell phone and hurrying back to his office, he dialed Aurora Kelly immediately explaining and detailing what the immediate issue was. Tony was already walking through his office door awaiting further instruction. In Daniel Quinn's estimation the single best decision Aurora had done was to keep the security firm formerly under Frank Murphy in place. The fact that Tony's company was also in charge of all of Brian Kinney's establishments and therefore in charge of protecting Justin Taylor's interests as well, made all of the nuances of this very complex situation a little easier to covertly pass along information. Tony's team immediately went to work while Quinn continued to make the necessary phone calls.

"Myrna, we have a problem..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Arriving back at the house, Justin and Brian opted to use the back entrance and head straight for the master suite. After spending all morning and half the afternoon at the police station another shower was in order. Sadly for both, there wasn't time to linger. The house was teeming with guests including the Avlossa team. Brian changed into his winter white leisure suit. Justin relented to Brian's fashion bullying and opted for a cream color silk shirt with matching slacks but would not relent on his canvas sneakers.

Brian came to stand behind Justin as he was about to put his hair in he man-bun he often wore when running errands or going into business meetings. "Leave it down," he said softly.

"Why?" Justin asked just as softly. "I'll just be fidgeting with it and to top it off, I look like an international playboy."

Brian shook his head and met his partner's eyes in the mirror. "You're beautiful, Justin. Your hair like this reminds me of how you look first thing in the morning; still young and innocent." He fingered on of the thick tresses which fell gently on Justin's shoulder before allowing his hands to trail down the silk-clad muscular biceps and finally intertwining their fingers.

"I like your freshly-fucked hair, too." Justin said laughingly, pulling their joined hands across his midsection. He sighed deeply. "I suppose we'd better get down there. Mel, Myrna and Drew will have told Em that we're back."

Brian nodded. "I could just kick everyone out and we could..." He nuzzled the side of Justin's neck.

"No you can't. Aside from the fact we have family and clients downstairs, Emmett worked really hard on this. Plus I would hate to have to deal with my mother for ruining her only shot at my wedding reception." A little sardonic smile ghosted Justin's lips as he finished.

Brian laughed. "Yeah, you have a point. I would hate to face Mother Taylor's wrath. It's bad enough I have corrupted her only son and made him my bitch."

Justin chuckled. "Who corrupted whom is still debatable. I taught you resistance was futile when it came to this persistent twink."

"If we don't get out of this room, I might be tempted to fill a certain twinkie with cream."

Justin turned in Brian's arms, bringing their lips together. The kiss was searing hot and escalated quickly. Brian's toes curled as Justin's tongue drank from him and stole his breath. He eased his hands under the flowing tail of Justin's shirt, raking his nails down his back and eliciting a lust-filled moan from his eager companion.

"Later," Justin murmured against Brian's lips although neither made a move to end the kiss. The insistent knock on their door interrupted what was turning into a very heated exchange.

"What is it, Honeycutt?" Brian didn't even bother to hide his annoyance.

"First, don't call me 'Honeycutt.' Secondly, I came to look you two over..." Emmett's eyes roamed over Justin first and then Brian, noting the shiny and slightly dazed looks in the blue and hazel eyes regarding him. He continued with a big smile, "And last but certainly not least by the looks of it, I came to stop any extracurricular activities you may have been getting into."

Brian smirked not in the least bit bothered they had been easily read. "Justin, remind me to put a stop-payment on the check Monday."

For his part, Justin laughed and rolled his eyes at the antics of his two favorite men in the world. "Something tells me that's not the only reason you came up here, Em, so spill it."

Emmett took a deep breath. "I thought this might be better to tell you away from prying eyes and nosy ears. Debbie called while you were out."

"Okay. And?" Brian asked. He was already short on patience due to the morning's events.

Emmett swallowed hard. "Apparently Michael took his and Ben's other car and is on the way here."

"Fuck!" Justin shouted and rounded on Brian. "I thought you called him while I was filing the report."

"I did, Justin. I made it perfectly clear that he wasn't to come today or ever. How long did the call come in?" He turned to Emmett.

"About ten minutes after I sent Drew to the police station to check on you guys."

"Where the hell is Ben? Can't he keep his fucking husband in check?" Brian pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration.

A house full of guests and Michael was coming to cause a scene. He personally didn't give a shit but it could be bad for Justin's career. And Gus had a guest and her parents were probably already downstairs. Michael was never the type to go have a seat somewhere without copious amounts of whining and angst. FUCK!!

"About that, Brian... Michael is supposed to be moving back into Debbie's. Ben is downstairs and he and Michael are officially finished. You can't be surprised by that."

"What do you mean ‘finished,' Emmett? They're married both in Toronto and here. How the fuck can Ben just walk away?" Brian asked.

"Brian, do you really understand what Michael's motives were? Sometimes you have a fucked up habit of hearing without really listening." Emmett shook his head regretting having to point that characteristic out at such a time but Brian needed to be told he does it, especially in terms of Michael. They all tended to do it primarily to keep their sanity.

"That isn't the case this time. I told him specifically that whatever fucked up fantasy was living in his mind about me, him and Palm Springs was just that- a fantasy- and that it would never happen."

Justin interceded. "Brian, that last issue of Rage was all about that fantasy. You know that. What did he say when you spoke to him?"

"The same bullshit and that he destroyed his marriage for me; that I didn't have to go through with any of this. I told him not to come here and that we would talk another day when I wasn't so fucking angry with him. I told him I needed time."

"Well by my calculations, Bri, you have about half an hour to pull yourself together to handle this," Emmett said. Brian could see the clear regret written on his face from having to tell he and Justin about Hurricane Michael coming to do another round of damage.

"We'd better head on downstairs, Brian," Justin said while looking at Brian's face and reading all the emotions he was feeling himself. "Em, could you give us a few minutes. We'll be down directly."

"No problem, Sweetie," Em said quietly, giving Brian;s shoulder a small reassuring squeeze and then quietly withdrawing from the room.

The soft click of the door closing was the only noticeable sound for several minutes following Emmett's departure. Justin continued to study Brian's eyes- the only part of Brian's body which he could never completely conceal his emotions. Justin could see Brian replaying moments and his life history with Michael as plain as if he were watching the memories unfold. The happiness, the sadness and moments of anguish evident within the eyes Justin most loved in the world. He ached for his partner knowing that he was a major source of the contention between Brian and Michael. Justin wouldn't trade a minute of it though. He remembered telling Lindsey once that Brian was his ‘Once in a lifetime opportunity,' his only shot at love and to be loved the way he needed to be; the only way Brian could love him. For all that they had gone through to be together, Justin would not have traded anything even this. And he knew no matter how hurt Brian was, that he wouldn't either. Brian turned away from him trying his best to get himself back under control. Justin crossed the room determined not to let Brian retreat too far into himself. He knew the signs and he refused to let Brian erect the emotional walls in his presence. He could do that with everyone else but not Justin.

Justin stroked Brian's cheek forcing him to look at him. He licked his lips before speaking. "I know this is not what you had in mind for today but you have to deal with it. Do you want me to be with you when you do?"

Yes! Brian wanted to say but instead spoke, "No. I have to deal with this. This friendship started long before you entered my life, Justin. It has to end the same way."

Justin nodded understanding even though he didn't like it. "Get the answers you need, Brian and try not to say anything you'll regret later."

"I don't believe in regrets. You know that."

Justin decided to let Brian verbally deceive himself this one time for self-preservation purposes. He knew that Brian knew Justin could see what he never showed anyone else. Justin didn't need to say anything this time. He kissed Brian gently. "If it makes any difference, I love you now and always and I just want you happy. If that means I have to tolerate Michael, then that's what it has to be."

Brian hugged him close, burying his nose in Justin's neck and hair. "I know, Sunshine. You're the only one in this family who ever got me completely. No judgment, just acceptance."

"The one thing I know about you, Mr. Kinney, is that you never act without reason. And no matter how you choose to handle this, I know that theory will hold true as well. Let's go greet our guests and enjoy ourselves for at least a little while before we need to deal with any unpleasantness."

"Ever the perfect WASP," Brian teased.

"Except when I have to defend what's mine. Lions don't run from sheep right?"

"No we don't, Justin. We never do."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Downstairs the party was in full swing. Daphne sought out Emmett to make sure everything was alright. She knew Brian and Justin had been back awhile based on Drew's reappearance but she was still concerned. The whole Ethan/Michael faction made her uneasy to say the least. She was never a staunch supporter of Ethan Gold; a fact she made more than clear to Justin while the two of them were dating. She couldn't imagine how the whole situation was affecting Brian and Justin especially since they had fought and finally won their right to be happy.

"Hey Sweetie," Emmett said as he bent to embrace her 5'2 frame. Do you and Troy have everything you need to transform the Master Suite this evening?"

She hugged him back. Out of all the ‘family,' she loved Emmett the best, except for Brian and Justin. He and Ted saw Brian in the same way she did and viewed his struggles with Justin the same as well. She would always be grateful to them both and Cynthia for helping her two best friends through their rough times.

"Just about," she answered him. "Now if we could just get them to bring their asses downstairs and stay down here, Troy and I can get to work. How are they?"

"They're survivors, Daph. You know as well as I do that nothing will keep them down for long." He pulled her to the side away from the other guests. "But I have to tell you, I don't know what's going to happen when Michael gets here."

"I wish he would just stay away for at least today. To expect more would be like expecting Marilyn Monroe to be reincarnated."

Emmett laughed. "I agree with you but there's no way he would let the matter rest. In Michael's mind, the sooner he can get to Brian, the sooner the Brian and Mikey show can begin again. Brian has always overlooked or covered Michael's shortcomings in the past. I'm just not so sure about this time."

Daphne nodded. She had never seen Brian so conflicted before and it bothered her. He was always so self-assured and contained; dependable and predictable in his responses to everyone's needs. This fight between Michael and Justin hurt him deeply and rocked his foundation. Yes, he did the right thing by putting Justin above Michael but it never should have gotten as far as it had.

"Do you need me to run interference with Justin while Brian deals with Michael?" she asked.

"I don't think it's going to come to that today," Em answered. "If I know Justin and I do, he's going to give Brian the space he needs to address the Michael situation. However, he may need you regarding his feelings about Ethan."

"Why would he feel anything regarding that asshole?" If it were up to her, Ethan Gold would be tarred and feathered by now.

Emmett laughed. She knew he could read the emotions on her face and she lowered her eyes momentarily; her cheeks felt hot and she knew he could see the blushing stain of embarrassment on her cheeks. She and Justin were like twins in that respect- never good at hiding their anger.

"You could be right but if anything else goes wrong today, I'm afraid Justin will do what he always does which is take the guilt upon himself. He's already done that last night and this morning," Emmett said.

"He has to realize that this isn't his fault but we both know that Justin will think it is." She let out a frustrated sigh. "These two are going to be the fucking death of me. After nearly fifteen years of the Taylor-Kinney angst you would think they would have the decency to let the lot of us rest awhile."

"But then our lives would become boring and meaningless," Em joked. "We would sit around wondering what shit they stepped in instead of helping them out of the muck they've fallen into. If I ever write a book, the King and his Prince have certainly given me enough material."

"You could always take it from the Rage story line. It will save you some time."

They both laughed at that. Daphne and Emmett continued to talk about the trials of having Brian and Justin as friends while activity continued to flow around them. There was no question to each of their minds that the relationship would survive everyone and everything that would be thrown at them. The question was how much more the couple could take before they lost their minds.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chris arrived at the bank amongst a flurry of activity. His associate in tow, he signed his name for Mr. Townsend and took a seat waiting to be called. His primary goal was to check his investment portfolio and liquidating his portion of the construction business in keeping with the quiet divorce settlement he and Allison were planning. There was no doubt that her price was steep but since he was taking steps to look like he'd abandoned her and the kids, he had to make sure her and the kids' needs were met. He had already decided that he owed Justin Taylor a good turn in spite of the gun incident. In many ways Justin had given Chris the courage to do what he must and move somewhere to a place where he and George could live their lives fully and openly. The arrival of his step-brother earlier in the afternoon provided the impetus to speed the process along. Mark was He turned to his companion for reassurance and support.

"Are you sure there isn't anything else I can do without taking from the family business. I mean, I know that I'm in charge of the day-to-day operations but I'm not interested in having to cook the books or anything to cover my tracks."

Brandon Miles looked at Chris with a mixture of pity, scorn and understanding. It was a strange combinations of emotions he felt for Chris Hobbs. On one hand, he decidedly felt disgusted with him because he was essentially abandoning his children- kids he had with a hetero woman knowing full well that he was a gay man. He let other people decide how he should live his life whereas he bashed a notable denizen on Liberty Avenue nearly fifteen years ago for having the courage not to hide who he was; one half of the duo whose shadow Brandon still lived in at Babylon and the Baths. Everyone who was anyone within gay Pittsburgh knew the story of Justin Taylor and the attacker had gotten off with a slap on the wrist. The pity Brandon felt was because Chris was truly trying to make amends for his misguided actions to Justin and break free of the country club set he was born into. That was the problem with the WASP nest. It was a network of family-owned businesses and inherited fortunes; people were born into it but it was hard as hell to get out of without being ostracized for homosexuality like Justin was. Chris and Allison wisely made the decision for him to remain in the closet until all of the financial aspects of their divorce was finalized. Although divorce was frowned upon because of the prenuptial agreements between families, as long as it was handled quietly and with dignity no backlash to Allison and the kids nor Chris should occur.

Brandon sighed as he prepared to relay the information to Chris again. "The only other option you have other than liquidating your portion of Hobbs Construction Inc. is to literally sign over your shares to Allison in trust for your son/ Based on how your community, particularly your family feels about women owning property outside of their husband, this is the safest and most efficient option for both you and Allison. Once the money is in her account under a trust for the children, your father nor grandfather can pull the money back. Allison gets a tenth deposited directly into her account but once that gone, it's gone. It will be up to her to invest it wisely. As for you and George, you fifty percent will be deposited into your account and the other forty percent goes into the trust. If you let your family cash out your shares, they'll want to know why. Liquidation really is the best option for you Chris."

He nodded his understanding to Brandon as they continued to watch the activity. When he sat up in his chair, back rigid as a poker, Chris instantly felt sick.

"What is it?" Brandon looked at Chris who had turned ashen white as he continued to watch the flux and flow from Mark Townsend's office.

"You see that woman, Brandon?"

"Yeah what about her?"

"That's Aurora Kelly, the owner of the bank."

"Okay so? Don't most owners have offices within the bank?" Brandon was genuinely puzzled by the look on Chris' face.

"Yeah they do but she is never seen during regular banking hours. Ever."

"And this is important...why?"

"Because she is headed directly to my family's personal banker's office."

"Shit. We need to head that off if you mean to see this completed today."

Chis nodded. "Something tells me, it's now or never."

They moved toward the corner office in a seemingly sedate pace when Chris felt more like running in there. They reached the door in time to find Mark cowering in the corner although he tried his best to maintain his usually straight posture while Aurora towered over him. Tony, a guy both Chris and Brandon recognized as the head of security at Babylon, was disconnecting Mark's computer expertly. Listening in on bits and pieces of the conversation as they continued to observe unnoticed, Chris noted the word accounts and heard the names Kinney, Taylor and Kinnetik. He also heard of a company called JT Designs and something he couldn't quite make out about the former Bloom gallery. He also heard a name he never thought to hear again: Daphne Chanders. Doctor Daphne Chanders. The last he remembered hearing she had moved to New York as had Justin Taylor. He knew that Taylor was back but was Daphne as well? If he went to her, could she help him get to see Justin? Would she even be willing to?

He knew if he was ever going to be free of the shit he was in and absolve himself of the guilt regarding his connection to Justin Taylor, now was the time to speak up.

"Mark, I'm really trying to help you here but you have to give me the names of the people coercing you to do this. You've always been a loyal and faithful employee but what you have done is a federal crime," Aurora said.

"I know, Ms. Kelly and believe me, I tried to get out of it. I didn't want to have anything to do with any of this. But the people you are questioning me about are dangerous and they have threatened all that I hold dear. Although I would like to automatically do what's ‘right' in this case, there are a lot factors."

"You know that this will cost you your job...maybe even your freedom, Mark?"

"I don't care about me, as long as my family remains safe and my son can grow up. My other sons...well I don't even know where they are right now but I hope they're safe. If I don't give them the information on the computer your security guy us calmly dismantling and taking God knows where, I am a dead man and so are the members of my family beginning with my two oldest sons."

Aurora shook her head. "Then Mark you leave me no choice-"

"Wait," Chris said softly but loud enough to be heard within the confines of the office.

Aurora turned around, finding the voice which had spoken so earnestly. A frown creased her high arched brows immediately. "Christopher Marc Hobbs, what are you doing here?"

He cleared his throat. Aurora Kelly was the only woman who had ever scared him although he never understood why or would admit such aloud. He always equated her to some dragon lady who would eat young children or wayward teenagers; maybe even walk around castrating unsuspecting men- she was just a cold bitch. But hearing her talking to Mark Townsend, almost pleading with him to help her save his job and his life, he thought that maybe there was a chance she would listen to him.

"Ms. Kelly, although I signed my name to see Mr. Townsend about a personal matter, I couldn't help but overhear your questions to him."

"Chris this really doesn't concern you. Now-"

He cut her off. "But it does concern me..or at least it will. I know exactly who Mr. Townsend is afraid of and why."

"And?"

He swallowed hard and averted his eyes debating how much he should tell her. Stiffening his spine and looking to Brandon for reassurance which was given in the form of an imperceptible nod, he spoke again. "I think perhaps we should go where that computer is being taken which looks like Mr. Quinn's office. I have to say what I need to quickly as I don't want to be anywhere near here when my father arrives."

"I'm not following," she said. "Why would your father be coming here now? He usually does his business on Monday mornings."

"That's when he doesn't want a look inside of five accounts he's not entitled to view and business is generally slower on a Saturday morning than it is on Mondays." Chris finished looking smugly at her surprised look and the astonished look on Mark Townsend's face. "Time's wasting, Ms. Kelly. I suggest we hurry up."

He moved off in the direction of Daniel Quinn's office knowing that Brandon, Aurora and Mark were already in his wake.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


What was supposed to be a joyous day was shaping up to be another action-packed day of protecting the Taylor-Kinneys. Myrna shook her head, eyes wide in disbelief as she listened to the detailed events of the morning from Quinn. Colby stood next to her watching her body language- the tense set of her shoulders, the crease in her forehead but mostly the angered and worried look of Myrna's eyes told him more than anything else the seriousness of the phone call. The five words she mouthed to him as she continued to listen: Cynthia, Lindsey and Ted quickly spurred him into action. He wasted no time in doing her bidding, weaving through the crowd, making small talk so the main players would not be alerted to what he knew was impending trouble. Brian and Justin didn't need the implied stress. It was bad enough because of the morning and having to deal with the crazed fantasy of Ethan Gold trying to press charges against Brian for the much needed and well deserved ass whipping from the night before. And now another waking nightmare was on the horizon for the couple.

He found Lindsey first.

"We have a problem," he said simply and matter of factly.

She was about to scold him on his manners but thought better of it after scrutinizing the look in his eyes. Colby was a lot like Brian in that he could keep his face devoid of all emotion but his expressive eyes spoke volumes and revealed things he would much rather keep hidden. Lindsey could see that his eyes were a deeper shade of green than they were earlier or anytime Colby was his usually laid back self. She could tell he was anything but calm, cool and collected which were words she always associated with Colby Butler.

"Let's go to Brian's office. Should I alert the others?" She asked her honeyed voice hushed but no less poised.

Colby had heard Brian refer to Lindsey and Justin as WASP products. As Lindsey stood before him awaiting his answer, he acknowledged that growing up in the privileged country club sector paid off with Lindsey's noncommittal question. She was poised and soft spoken but he could tell she was as nervous as he was with the mention of a problem. He shook his head. "I'll do it, Lindz. You go on to the office. We can't have a mass exodus going there. A room with this many people, someone is bound to notice."

She nodded and headed off toward the back of the house. He tried to smile reassuringly as she made her way down the long corridor leading to the inner sanctum of Brian Kinney. Ted had already received an alert and was on his way, passing a knowing look to Colby in the process. Extracting Cynthia was another matter. She was in full business mode hemmed up by one of Kinnetik's major account owners. He caught her eye several times but every time she made to excuse herself, the older gentleman decided it was time for another topic relating to his business. Finally, Colby had had enough of waiting and went to extricate her from the verbal prison himself.

Sliding up to her side, he cut the gentleman off mid-sentence. "I'm sorry, Mr. Jonas- is it?- but I need to borrow Cynthia for a few moments.

"It's Johns, young man and we were in the middle of a conversation," came the reply from the indignant white-haired man.

"Yes well, sorry but I was actually afraid for your dentures because of the amount you've been bumping your gums. Now if you'll excuse us, we have other matters to attend to." Colby bustled Cynthia away before the man had a chance to respond.

"Damn it, Colby, do you know who that was?" Cynthia asked him while being half carried, half dragged in the direction of Brian's office.

"Don't know, don't care. He would have never let you go. A runaway freight train moves slower than that damn motor mouth."

"That was a twenty million dollar account, Colby. If we lose it-"

He didn't give her a chance to finish. "What will it matter when all of Kinnetik's money is wiped out? The accounts have been accessed."

"Holy shit! All of them?" she looked at him incredulously.

 "Five so far. Myrna was on the phone with Quinn a little bit ago so we need to get our asses in the fucking office before anyone realizes why we're missing."