- Text Size +

Peter sat silently watching John down his fifth shot of Beam in as many minutes. He had switched from his beer right around the time their cousin, Gus, was introducing his guests to Uncles Brian and Justin. Contrary to popular opinion, Peter wasn't a reticent and oblivious gay man. He wasn't shy about speaking his mind; only when meeting new people. So it amazed him that John pretended like nothing was wrong or that he hadn't turned whiter than a virgin's sheets during the exchange between the man who will be forever known as ‘Dickhead Dixon.'


 


"So that was him, huh?" Peter said quietly.


 


"Who?"


 


Peter shook his head. "John, look outside. Is it nighttime?"


 


"No of course not. It's only two o'clock,"


 


"That's right. It's the middle of the afternoon which means there are no owls out and no need for you to answer ‘who.' That man, Dixon, is the person who has you shook up, isn't it?"


 


Peter watched as John sighed deeply before responding with a quiet "Yeah." He was relieved that John finally opted not to hide the truth from him. "Well now you have no choice in the matter. Brian and Justin have to be told and if you don't I will." Peter's resolve came through loud and clear. So clear that John's eyes snapped back to his own.


 


John looked at Peter. He took in all he thought he knew of his younger brother and tried his best to reconcile it to the man who stood before him. "You aren't scared, are you?"


 


"Of course I am but I refuse to sit idly by and watch those we care about destroyed. I'm having a hard time understanding why you are willing to."


 


John licked his lips while signaling the bartender for another. He was never so glad as he was right then for the Kinney tolerance for hard liquor. If Peter was demanding that he speak up he was damned sure going to need some liquid courage.


"It's not that I'm willing, Peter. It's just that the side of the organization I know of is huge. There's no telling how big it really is. There are rich people and people like us within that network of homophobes. Dixon is one of those born into the WASP clique just as Justin and our new Grandmother Jenn. Hell even Gus' mother is from the area of old money. Based on that alone, he's a man to be feared because of his connections and there's no telling how deep those alliances run."


 


"Well we have our own friendships and family now. I'm not willing to watch while it gets taken away, John. Do you know how much I prayed to have a place where I could just be loved and accepted for who I am and not condemned because of something I can't change about myself."


 


"I know, Peter, and that's what you found on Liberty Avenue."


 


Peter shook his head. "No, John. That's what I've found here. Liberty Avenue and its inhabitants are just an extension of what we've found here with Uncle Brian and Justin. It doesn't matter what I am or even what you are. It only matters that they accept you because of your heart. The more I get to know Uncle Brian and those he considers family, the more I see how warped Grandmother's thinking is."


 


"She's a Bible-speaking hypocrite."


 


"Yes she is but what's worse is that she actually believes that by judging others, she's doing the Lord's work. I believe in God but I don't believe in a book that basically tells me to hate myself because I'm considered different than societal "norms."


 


"I get it Peter and I have for a little while now." John let out a deep sigh. "But now I have to walk a path I don't want to and risk incurring their anger in the process. I know there's too much at stake, not to mention our lives."


 


"And you are running out of time, John. You've always been brave and capable so why the self-doubt now?"


 


John shrugged. It was to hard to explain to practical Peter- the nickname he always called his little brother. This situation was far from ideal but it really couldn't be helped in any way. He would just have to say what needs to be said. But it would have to wait because Justin was running up the stairs taking them two at a time... and Brian was hot on his heels.


 


 


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


"Will you please stop tapping your goddamn thigh?" Brandon yelled at his passenger.


 


"What the fuck else do you expect me to do, Brandon? I'm nervous as fucking jello; I can't stop shaking."


 


"Well you're the one that asked for the face-to-face meeting so you don't have the right to act like a meth addict looking for his next fix." Brandon sighed. "Why did you ask for the meeting if you knew you were going to be this way?"


 


"I just thought that it would be Taylor and I."


 


Brandon laughed. "I could have told you that wasn't going to happen. Brian and Justin are pretty much joined at the hip especially since Justin's been back. As for the rest of the people they consider family, they usually aren't too far away from either of them. There's no way you've been a part of gay PA and never understood the Brian/Justin dynamic."


 


Chris nodded but said, "I always thought they were just rumors."


 


"Well that's what you get for thinking. True the Tell-A-Queen hotline gets some things wrong but not about Brian and Justin. They live their public lives openly so there is no room or reason for misconception and fabrications. Your thinking because they're aloof that their legendary exploits were lies and innuendo couldn't be further from the truth. They each belong to no one except each other. It's been the bane of every queers' existence especially those who frequent Liberty Avenue. They're virtually untouchable. They live together. They fuck together and they've fucked others together- at least they did up until a few years ago."


 


"Jesus, how much further do we have to go?" Chris shifted in his seat of the sportscar.


 


"About fifteen minutes according to the GPS. It would be sooner if the grandmother in front of us would drive like she has somewhere to go and not sightseeing. I really wish they would expand this highway instead of having this one fucking lane. I can only how Quinn and Ms. Kelly, let alone that damn fool Townsend feel behind us. He must be itching to get all this shit over with."


 


Chris grunted his response before speaking again. "Why up until a few years ago?"


 


"Business has kept the two exceptionally busy. There isn't much the duo don't have their hands in. It's a true partnership both in business and in bed."


 


"When the ‘incident' happened all those years ago, I never thought they would be together all these years later."


 


Brandon looked over at Chris then. Really looked at him. "From what I've been told, there couldn't have been any doubt. I happened up on the scene many years after they began. Brian and I had a ‘fuck-off' and though they were taking a short recess from each other, anyone looking at them when they met up on the street or happened to run into each other at Woody's could tell they were still united. Even after Justin left for New York there wasn't a doubt. That invisible thrall which was visible when they inhabited the same space was even more so when they didn't."


 


They turned off the exit behind the car which had been in front of them for practically the entire trip. Brandon had never been so happy to have a second lane. Based on the reaction of Quinn as he pulled behind him, Brandon could imagine the feeling was mutual. The light turned green and Brandon zoomed ahead with Quinn following close behind. It wasn't until Brandon turned into the driveway that he understood why Brian and Justin elected to live such a long way from the city. The estate was larger than Brandon could have imagined. The Tudor mansion screamed opulence and luxury but there was also a feeling of home which emitted from it. Judging by Chris' reaction he had the same opinion. Brandon and Chris hurried out of the car when accosted by the valet driver. Brandon advised that they had business but wouldn't be long. Quinn and Aurora followed suit.


 


The five of them gathered to go over last minute details just as the black SUV which held them up on the highway, pulled into the open gates.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


"Justin. Justin!" Brian called as he neared the top of the landing leading to the studio. He pushed open the door regarding the upright but trembling form of the man he loved. His heart broke as he watched Justin stare out of the window trying to will himself back under control.


 


"I don't know if I can do this, Brian."


 


He crossed over to him and from behind held his lover as they looked over the landscape. "You have to, Sunshine but I'll be there with you. You're not the same person who was bashed nor the same man who lived in fear of your own shadow for many years. You are the strongest man I know, Justin and you always will be."


 


Justin shook his head. "I feel the same about you, you know? I know I wouldn't have made it through without you, Brian. You knew when to demand more of me and when to just hold me."


 


"You would have done just fine. You did the work; I was just there. But now we have one more piece of business to finish with Chris Hobbs and then like we've done before, we'll move on from him. In the grand scheme of our lives, he doesn't hold any power. He has no control. He can't hurt us; can't touch you nor I but he does and is willing to give us the information we need to fight against the people who are trying to destroy all we have built. I won't let anything or anyone hurt you again, Justin. I hope you believe that."


 


"I know that, Brian but what about the shit you can't control? No matter how much you or I want to we can't control or fix everything." Justin sighed deeply. "But I know you are right. He requested to see me and Myrna had to honor it based on all that has happened today. I get it but I can't help being scared again. Fuck I don't even know why he would be willing to help us after what I did to him the last time I saw him."


 


Brian looked at Justin with a singular focus. "Is this that thing you alluded to last night? And do I even want to know?"


 


Justin licked his lips and swallowed hard. "I pulled a gun on Chris back when I was hanging out with Cody." At Brian's shocked and then angered look, Justin rushed to continue. "It wasn't loaded but sometimes I wish to God that it was. I just wanted him to feel what it was like for me following the bashing and even now sometimes. The fear to be who I am; the anger and resentment I feel when my hand stops working but most of all I wanted him to feel remorse."


 


Brian nodded. Even though he was still pissed off and wanted nothing more than to give Justin shit about it or turn him over his knee and not in a good way, he could understand based on what Justin had told him the previous night. Chris Hobbs had taken much more than Justin's physical capabilities that night... he'd taken Justin's peace of mind. He cleared his throat. "Do you think he learned the lesson you were trying to convey, Justin? More importantly, did you?"


 


"I did which is why I left Cody there after I sent Chris inside." He closed his eyes briefly in remembrance.


 


"Well then we definitely have to go down there. You weren't ever a coward- not even the first night you went home with me." Brian was rewarded with a watery chuckle.


 


"Well that was an offer I couldn't refuse."


 


Brian grew serious. "So is this, Sunshine." He pushed Justin's hair back away from his face, relishing the way the silken strands slid through his fingers. "If it helps, you look like an angel."


 


"A very naughty angel," Justin said smirking in that barely-there way which always made Brian want to take him. He had the same feeling when Justin returned from Hollywood all those years ago. Justin was always mischievous innocence mixed with the right amount of tempting deviltry. He smiled wide at the imagery dancing in his mind.


 


"Fine we'll be fallen angels but without that whole fire and brimstone thing. The smell of sulfur would be a bitch to get out of this fabric."


 


Justin laughed before pulling Brian in for a long kiss.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Michael sat outside the house known as Britin. He knew fucked up royally and that he owed Brian a huge apology. He couldn't for the life of him figure out what possessed him to say those things about Justin; why he couldn't just be content with his own life. Ben was a good man and he had ruined that. He'd apologized for that and Ben had responded with a look at first. Then he'd told Michael he needed some time. Michael agreed to give him that. The situation with Justin was another matter.


 


Okay so he may have been wrong there too but he couldn't see it. Justin had weaseled and manipulated his way into Brian's world for fifteen years. Every time Michael breathed a sigh of relief that it was over between he and Brian, they had gotten back together especially after the ‘Ethan' episode. He had purposely left out the information that would have saved their relationship when dropping hints to Brian but that fucking kid just couldn't stay away and leave Brian alone.


 


No, Michael, you shouldn't even be thinking like that. Not if you want to get Brian back on your side.


 


He sat there mentally arguing with himself about doing what was right instead of just doing what was convenient which was to blame Justin for provoking him to act rashly by inviting Ethan. It was a lesson which he had never dealt with before. Sure there had been many instances where he was faced with the choice but someone had always absolved him of it, either his mother or Brian. But now he found himself needing to apologize to the one person who had always defended him, even against the twink. Fuck! If Justin had just stayed away and left Brian alone, none of this would have happened. He and I would still be happy. That kid always ruins everything.


 


He looked at his battered and bruised face in the mirror, tears shimmering in his eyes. It was all black and blue from the punches Justin leveled on him. I look like I've been in a prize fight with Rocky Balboa. As he sat there he thought about pressing charges. But that wouldn't have endeared him to Brian. That kid had stopped him from being able to attend the party Brian was giving where they could hang out and catch up like old times. One thing was clear in Michael's mind. He wasn't just going to hand Brian over to Justin without a fight. He'd earned the right to be by Brian's side as his friend and only confident. He could fuck Justin all he wanted but Michael earned the right to take care of Brian for better or worse...not Justin. And as soon as Brian saw that, Justin would be relegated to the ‘Trick that Wouldn't Leave' status once again where Michael could regain Brian's affection and attention as he'd always had it.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Peter cornered Brian and Justin before they made it back down the second flight of stairs heading to the office.


 


"I need to speak with both of you," he said in a tone which puzzled both of his uncles. Peter was as agitated as they had seen him the night John with Brian and Justin's help explained fully what had been done to him at Babylon and the full intent behind it.


 


"Can it wait, Peter? We're about to go into an important meeting."


 


Peter nodded. "I heard a little of what's going on in passing. This is just as important." He took a deep breath and exhaled as slow as he was able with his pounding heart. They couldn't deny him this. It was crucial. "Please."


 


Brian looked to Justin who was already concerned about walking into the meeting. Communicating without words as they often did, Brian nodded. "Okay Peter. Is this something for yourself alone or does John have a stake in this ‘very important' conversation, too?"


 


"It concerns all of us. I'll go get John and meet you in your office."


 


The inflection in Peter's words was not lost on Justin who spoke. "Get him quickly. I've put this off as long as I could. We'll wait for you by the office door before going in."


 


"Okay Uncle Justin." Peter sped down the stairs leaving the two older men to descend the stairs at a more sedate pace.


 


"What do you think is wrong, Brian?"


 


"I don't know, Justin but I won't lie and say I have an easy feeling about it. Growing up with Claire and Joan, the boys wouldn't be prone to hysterics. He didn't corner us for something trivial. I guess we'll have to wait and see."


 


"I don't like that they will be in the same room with Hobbs, Brian. I know they're grown men but you see how Gus reacted to the mere mention of his name. I don't know how John and Peter will. Speaking of which, where is Gus-Gus?"


 


"Hopefully still giving Carmella and her family the grand tour and got stuck on some activity. The last thing we need is a fist-flying Gus added to the mix. Not that I blame him. It will be hard to control my own fury at the fucker who hurt you."


 


Justin stood on tip toe, placing a quick and gentle kiss on Brian's lips. Partially for courage; the other part for caring so much. As emotionally unstable as Justin felt inside, he was sure Brian felt even more so. This would be the first time Brian had seen Chris since that farce of a trial fifteen years ago. Justin shook his head. The unpredictable variables sure outweighed the constant, more stable ones in this fucked up equation. Peter and a nervous looking John arrived. Brian nodded at the three men standing with him, taking hold of Justin's hand before opening the door.


 


It was as expected. The air within the large space was laden with hostility with Jennifer, who had been warned ahead of time of the impending arrival, led the pack in intimidating looks. She looked ready to claw Chris Hobbs' eyeballs from their sockets if he so much as breathed out of rhythm. Tucker stood by her side, lending a menace no one ever would have believed possible of the normally laid back man. Daphne, Emmett, Ted and Drew stood behind Brian's desk. Myrna, Melanie, Quinn and Aurora Kelly stood in the middle of the room separating the two groups. Colby had asked Ben to come in case he needed help breaking up the almost sure pandemonium that may occur. Cynthia and Lindsey stood on either side of the massive mahogany desk, both no less pissed or ready to throw a punch if necessary. While Hobbs, Brandon and a man Brian never thought to see again in his lifetime flanked them.


 


"What the fuck are you doing here, Mark?"


 


"Believe me, Brian, I would rather be anywhere else but here."


 


"Dad?" John said.


 


Mark smiled in relief. "Hello John and Peter. It's been a long time."


 


"No shit and whose fault is that?" Peter surprised everyone by his response. He was usually the sweet-natured of the two so the venom which laced his voice was a shock to all assembled who knew him.


 


Mark bowed his head and murmured, "I suppose I deserve that."


 


"And a lot fucking more," Peter answered vehemently.


 


"Petey please," John begged. "You don't understand."


 


Before Peter had a chance to answer, Brian stopped him. "Can we save the angry kid edition of ‘Leave It to Beaver' for a little later. In case no one has noticed, Justin and I have a houseful of guests we really need to get back to so can it for now, okay?" He looked directly at Peter willing him to get his silent message. Brian knew a lot more about why Mark left than Peter would. He wasn't sure how much John remembered but he suspected a great deal he shielded Peter from knowing.


 


Brian led the way to the comfortable leather chair behind his desk. As he took his seat, he pulled Justin down to rest on his lap, slipping his hand surreptitiously under the back of Justin's shirt. He felt some of the tension drain as he stroked Justin's spine in a soothing motion, the skin-on-skin contact another way for them to communicate without words.


 


"Hobbs," he barked out relishing the small feeling of victory as Chris immediately snapped to attention at Brian's voice. "I will warn you of this once so pay a-fucking-tention. Justin has reluctantly agreed to this because you said you had information which would benefit both of us. If you make any move toward him which was not initiated by Justin, I'll fucking kill you where you stand. Other than that, you may speak freely and trust that no one in this room is interested in betraying your confidence. Mark part of that statement goes for you as well. John and Peter will also spill what they know but make no mistake. We expect full disclosure, as much as you are able to give." Brian looked at Justin whose imperceptible nod assured Brian he had done the right thing for Justin's benefit. "Brandon, I'm not sure why you're here."


 


"I'm Chris' financial adviser, Brian," Brandon said.


 


"Family


 


Brandon smiled. "No, Kinney. Personal although his money is tied up in the family business- a matter we have to correct as soon as this meeting is finished."


 


Brian smiled back as did Justin. They both knew where Brandon was going with it. "Well in that case who would like to begin?"


 


Mark didn't hesitate to get his part in the whole situation out of the way. He told Brian everything about the threats against his family including John and Peter. He informed them of the late night meetings held within his office after-hours and the as much of the plan as he knew about it. "Their main plan is to ruin you financially. The encryption was hard as hell to crack but all five codes unlocked this morning. In addition to that, I also accessed every other account with the same last seven digits although only the five belonging to you and Mr. Taylor were of import."


 


"Did you call alert anyone about it. Mark?" Brian was beyond concerned that Quinn hadn't caught Mark in time.


 


He really couldn't blame Mark for not warning him sooner. Truthfully, given the choices Mark Townsend had been given and had he cared enough to save Joan and Claire, he would have done the same thing. However, if it was any one of the people he considered family, now including John and Peter, he would have done it in a heartbeat. Justin squeezed his hand briefly knowing exactly what he was thinking and understanding all the same.


 


"No. Daniel and Aurora came into my office as I sat there debating what I should do," Mark answered.


 


"Out of curiosity, which would you have done?" Brian really wanted know especially by his own rationale.


 


Mark answered without hesitation. "Before they opened the door and confiscated my computer, I was going to sell you out." Mark dropped his eyes. "I'm sorry, Brian. No one knows better than me why you have busted your ass over the years the way you have. Living next door to you for nearly twelve years gave me a pretty good indication. But I had too many people depending on me to keep breathing and expenses to be paid-"


 


Brian held up his hand to silence the man who was once his brother-in-law. "I know, Mark and I respect you for your candor. Where is your family now?"


 


"I called my wife and told her and the kids to visit Mom today at the nursing home since I wouldn't be able to."


 


Brian nodded. "Drew, I need you to do me a big favor." He took a deep breath before he smiled wide. "I need you to go out there and bring back three people. Gareth and Celene Kilpatrick. Anthony Matthews should also be out there. With any luck you'll find all three of them together."


 


"Brian you didn't tell me they were coming," Justin said.


 


"Of course I didn't. It wouldn't have been a surprise if I did." Turning to the rest of the assembled company he said, "Justin recently completed a commission for the Kilpatricks and their twins but I've know Gareth for years. Justin and I just completed one of their campaigns as well."


 


"You're going to send them there?" Cynthia asked.


 


Brian laughed. "And scandalize the poor prudes? No. Celene, Gareth and Anthony own a number of properties. Seascape, the adults only resorts, is only one of many they own. I'll ask them where they think is best. In the meantime, Jus, I think it's time you get on with your business. Don't you?" He raised an eyebrow.


 


He knew Justin was happy to stall for time or ignore Hobbs altogether. Brian wasn't about to leave him that option. He resumed the soothing strokes along Justin's spine as a reminder that he was right there and wouldn't let anything happen. Brian felt immediately when Justin the Dominant, took over and mentally smiled at the immediate change. The soft, frightened look was gone from the angelic blue eyes Brian had fell in love with. In their place was a cold stare, hard as flint and devoid of any vulnerability which Brian loved equally. Apparently Chris noticed it as well because he immediately shifted in his chair as Justin regarded him.


 


"Well?" Justin said, his voice strong and sure.


 


"We- Well what?" Chris stammered before clearing his throat. "Look, Taylor, I didn't come here to fight with you."


 


"First, I prefer the name ‘Kinney.' You may use it or just call me Justin as you used to since it is my name. Between you and that waste of DNA known as Craig Taylor, I see very little value in the name past what I've made of it with my career. But I refuse to allow it to be spoken in my own house without my partner's name attached to it and definitely not in the sneering tone you often use. That said, Chris, I think it's time you tell me what the fuck is going on from your end."


 


"I'm sorry, Justin."


 


"You've already apologized, Chris. It has nothing to do with the here and now."


 


Chris licked his lips. "Just let me say this okay?" At Justin's nod, he continued. "Everyone thought me hitting you with the fucking bat was about you and Kinney here and your ‘perverted' lifestyle."


 


Justin felt Brian tense up underneath him. Daphne also tensed but she couldn't hold her peace. "If it wasn't about that, you asshole, what the fuck was it?"


 


"Nice to see you're still around, Daphne."


 


"Can't say the same, Chris. But regardless what the hell do you mean it wasn't about that. There was no other reason unless..."


 


"I was jealous alright," Chris exploded. "I was fucking jealous. Kinney came up in there acting as if he owned the place- the fucking world. Then... then I watched you two dance and it was as if there was no one else in the world except the two of you. The way you looked at him. The way he held you as if you were something more precious than gold. I wanted you. I hadn't been sexually satisfied since you made me cum in that fucking equipment room and I wanted you. I made your life a living hell because I couldn't have you. You belonged to Kinney. You still do based on the ring you're sporting. And yes, I hated you because you had the courage to do what I couldn't at the time... to be who you were without fear."


 


"So you decided to put fear into me?" Justin had to ask; he had to know.


 


"It wasn't supposed to be like that, Justin. Not at first and then Dixon kept pressuring and threatening me."


 


The shocked gasp around the room from six of the occupants seemed to stop time but it was John who spoke. "He was here."


 


Brian looked at his nephew who seemed as white as a ghost. "He was, John. Is this part of that thing Peter was trying to tell Justin and me?"


 


"Yes. But I think you better let Hobbs finish before I add what I know."


 


Brian and Justin nodded at Chris who was hesitant indicated by the deep breath he took. "I wasn't supposed to get caught. He was there, you know, lurking in the shadows. You weren't supposed to be there at all, Kinney. I exited the hotel right after you both; saw you singing and dancing. You were happy and I was miserable. Yes, I wanted to hurt you but his intention was that I-"


 


"That you kill me," Justin finished for him.


 


"If Kinney hadn't called you, I would have." The room had gone silent, each person in it lost in the memories of the days which followed; of the days still relived moment by moment. For Justin it was a million times worst because of the recurring side effects for being born gay and having people envy and hate him for it.


 


"So why come forward with all of this now, Chris?" Jennifer asked. She was the third person most hurt by his actions. Brian relived it, Justin lived and breathed it and she grieved over it through the years. She lost a vital part of her son that fateful night.


 


He looked directly at Justin. "I married Allison even knowing what I knew about myself. We have kids together but I've met someone else and have finally decided to stop living for everyone else except myself. His name is George and if I feel a tenth of what you and Kinney here obviously feel for each other than it's much more than I deserve. The problem is that my stepbrother has also arrived into town to finish a job which left you two alive instead of dead."


 


Realization dawned in Brian's eyes. "Babylon."


 


Chris closed his eyes and nodded. "He was responsible which is why they never found him. Now they are going after you two with everything they have."


 


"Why? We haven't done anything to hurt anyone else."


 


"Haven't you though?" Chris asked shaking his head. "The fact that collectively you both have amassed a fortune which would literally put their old money and their ideals out to pasture is enough to cause them to have a coronary. The fact that two gay men have it and they do not, is an abomination to them. Add to that Stockwell's revenge and Craig's bitterness..."


 


"Wait! What? My own fucking father is involved in this shit?"


 


Daphne huffed. "Of course he is, Justin. The one thing you've never been is dense or blind when it came to him. Remember that day at the bank? Well now we know the reason he was there."


 


Chris continued. "From what I could gather, they have been planning this even before you came back into town. Originally, they were only going to settle for one of you. The man Craig and Stockwell each hold responsible for the destruction of their families. The fact that you're back is an added bonus because you're also well off. You two fags individually are richer than two of the straight men. If they could get into your accounts, they could have taken it from you and you wouldn't know until it was too late. That was the goal of accessing your accounts. Forcing Mark to help them would have assured that they wouldn't have been caught since it would have looked like any other wire transfer."


 


"Then what?" Justin asked quietly.


 


John spoke. "Then they were planning to make you suffer the same fate they meant for Peter, Uncle Justin. Drug, torture and kill you both only Brian would have been the last to die so he would feel the most pain watching you go before him. It's the nature of the gang when tormenting lovers together."


 


"We know that Craig, Stockwell and Dixon is involved in this. We also know that Hobbs, Jr. and the stepson is involved. How many more fucking people is it?" Brian asked.


 


"There's no way of knowing, Uncle Brian," John answered. "They all answer to the Boss but the street runners don't know who he is unless they are specifically called."


 


"And he's been calling you, hasn't he. John? Don't lie. It's written all over you."


 


John dropped his eyes, ashamed to be involved in the whole mess as much as he was. "Yeah he has but I haven't nor do I have any intention of answering. You've given Peter and I a chance to do something different; to be different and I'm not blowing it."


 


Brian nodded. If anyone in that office understood, it was Brian. The need to be different and want different had driven him all of his life.


 


"Colby, how close are you to re-encrypting the files?" Cynthia asked. She had been silent during the entire exchange, in shock by most of it but pissed off by all of it. That Justin's father could be involved in this madness made her see red. Her own childhood was no bed of roses but this level of betrayal was beyond anything her father could have thought to do to her.


 


"It will take me a few days now that the codes have been completely forced open." He leveled a look at Mark Townsend. In theory he could understand the man's problem. What he couldn't condone was his silence.


 


"No it won't, Colby. I have a program which encrypts and decodes on demand."


 


"Well why didn't you say so, Johnnie boy?"


 


"Hello. No one told or asked me, Beanstalk."


 


John and Colby's quip eased some of the tension which held the room captive. They shifted over to the corner, to begin the work on Colby's laptop. It was time to start planning counter maneuvers but first they had to get Mark and his family settled and quickly. As if on cue, Drew came into the room with Brian's invited guests. Both he and Justin rose upon their entry.


 


"Well Brian, it looks like the party is in here," Gareth Kilpatrick said as he moved toward him.


 


"No. But then if I recall you can make a party just by being in the room, Trouble."


 


Gareth smiled wide at the moniker he was known for during his and Brian's college years. "Yeah well, I married even more trouble so I guess it really is true."


 


"Don't forget you have to sleep with said trouble, Gareth. Hello, Brian," Celene Kilparick smiled pleasantly. The petite light-skinned woman exuded class and elegance.


 


"Hey, Cel. How are the twins?"


 


"A pain where I sit, Sugar." She walked over to him and curled herself around his waist. "It's good to see you."


 


"Anthony!"


 


A tall dark-skinned man moved forward. "Oh what, Bri. I'm not chopped liver right now?"


 


"Shut up fool. Where's Shelia?"


 


"Oh assignment with Sarah which she most should not be on." He huffed.


 


"He's just mad because Sarah is working undercover in Sharps tonight and asked Shelia along to watch the action and her back," Celene said.


 


"But we all know by the end of the night, she'll be taking her turn doing the pole stroll, too. My wife could never resist stripping."


 


"Ugh! Anthony could you please remember that your wife is my sister. The last thing I need is images of what she does without her clothes." Gareth shivered causing everyone in the room to laugh.


 


"Well you idiots and Celene, this is my husband, Justin."


 


"Nice to meet you all," Justin said smiling. He was enjoying all of them even though he wished it were under better circumstances.


 


Celene was the one to break her silence first. "So you're Justin. When Brian described you, I didn't believe him but now I understand why he calls you, Sunshine. Wait until Jules finds out that she missed your wedding."


 


"You're the Celene? Your last name was Richards? It really is a small world." At Brian's puzzled look, Justin explained. "Remember the work I did on CCK Architectural? Well meet the CEO. Celene Kilpatrick nee Richards owns the company. While she was out on maternity leave she left Julienne McKay in charge. I'd also worked with Jules on a number of art programs she was writing and she asked my input. The program I use now is one of hers as is the program you have in your computer which writes its own updates."


 


They took a little more time to catch up and also fill the newcomers in on the situation before Brian told them why he needed them in his office. "I need a huge favor from you all. Mark is my former brother-in-law and his family needs to be hidden. Any other time, I would suggest Seascape which would have been perfect except he has small children. Is there any room at Wonderland right now?"


 


"Shelia would have been able to tell you. Anthony and I mainly handle Seascape. Which location are you wanting?"


 


"The one on Turks and Caicos if you can manage it. Since it's winter here, there isn't a threat of hurricanes plus it's out of reach of the Pitts so it's the last place they'll think to look. Also since it's a family resort, the older members of his family won't be tempted to go au naturale or be surprised if they saw it. Also do you think they could make use of the jet. There's no way Mark nor his family will be able to get home to grab the passports and all. I want it to look like they've just disappeared. There's a lot riding on this."


 


"If what you've told me so far is just beginning as you suspect, then it's best you get this part done now. I'll call send Bruno with Mark now to collect his family."


 


Brian looked to Mark then. "Leave your cell phone and take nothing except the clothes on your backs."


 


"But Brian..." Mark began to protest.


 


"Don't worry, Mark. By the time you reach the resort, everything will be taken care of. I owe you at least that much." Brian then turned and spoke to Peter who still stood by the door. Brian could understand his anger. Claire had never told him the truth of why his father never came around. Although he could fault her for not doing so, Brian also knew it was Joan's influence. "Peter, it wasn't his fault. You know how your grandmother can be especially in reference to ordering things to her liking and that includes ordering Claire around. Mark wasn't given a choice; he did try to fight for you guys. There is a lot you don't know because you were too young to absorb the whole situation."


 


He could tell he was getting through to Peter when he noticed the young man marginally relaxing as he spoke. "You'll tell me, Uncle Brian?"


 


"I'll tell you all that I know and what I don't John will. He was there much more than I was."


 


Peter nodded and walked over to his father. He extended his hand waiting for the older man to take it but was surprised when Mark pulled him into a hug. He was even more surprised when instinctively he returned the gesture. "Have a safe journey," he said as he felt Mark nod against the side of his head. Both seemed reluctant to let go but did.


 


Gareth said, "Everything is in place, Brian. The jet is being readied so once they reach the airport, They'll be in the air about five hours."


 


"Good. Ted will wire you the money for their stay and the use of the jet."


 


Celene held up her hand and Gareth smiled at his wife. She was a dwarf compared to his six-foot-five frame but she had the ability to command the full attention of the room. "Brian, the jet is mine so I choose to waive the fee based on the importance of its use. As far as the resort fees, I suggest we settle up on the back end."


 


Brian smiled, "That works for me, Mrs. Kilpatrick. Someday you will have to tell me how you tamed the wild beast my friend used to be. Perhaps I can use that method on my own wild boy here."


 


Justin smacked his arm but couldn't stop the blush which crept up his cheek. "I suppose it was the same method I used to tame my own stallion, Stud. Now I have to finish up this business with Chris."


 


Brian nodded, knowing what Justin wanted him to do. "Hobbs, I understand that you were already leaving this afternoon."


 


"Yeah my flight is booked and George is already waiting for me at my destination."


 


"Good. Aurora, how much is it to buy Hobbs shares in his family business?" He didn't trust Hobbs or Brandon to answer at that moment. Brandon of course knew what he was up to and why but Chris didn't and it was best that way.


 


"His share is relatively small but it's still worth about one-hundred thousand dollars," she answered.


 


"That's doable. Lindsey and Cynthia, we need both of you to write the checks from your personal accounts. Make them payable to TK Properties. From there, Jennifer, you and Ted will manage the investment. Ted will let you know the right time to off-load it and who to sell it to. If there is a meeting called, let us know and we'll send one of our associates to deal with it."


 


"Sounds like a plan," she confirmed. "But what are you planning to do?"


 


"It's better that you don't know right away, Mom," Justin answered before Brian had a chance to. "In the meantime, the money for Allison and the kids will be put into trust immediately. Ted will see that it's done. As for you Chris, I'll give you a cushion but don't think in a million years that you get to come back for another payout. You don't. In fact this is the last fucking time I ever want to see you. Since you are going to disappear off the face of the earth with your lover, there shouldn't ever be a reason to. In the meantime, I wish you well with George. Make the years you've wasted lying count for something."


 


"Justin, you really don't have to..." Chris began.


 


"Yes I do," Justin said as a silent understanding passed between the two men. As far as Justin was concerned, there was a lot he had to atone for and this was just one of many things. "Lindsey, can you give Chris the cash so he can leave."


 


Lindsey nodded, still angry but at base she understood what Justin was doing. She left the room, making her way up to the hidden safe inside the cooling unit of the studio. She paused for a moment wondering why Justin would feel the need to be that generous especially with the amount that was being placed in the trust for Allison and the kids. But that was Brian's influence over Justin she supposed. Cover all bases and plan for every eventuality as far as fate would allow. Doing this assured that Justin could move on from the Hobbs episodes- well as much as he was able with the constant reminders regarding his hand allowed. He was paying to regain a portion of the peace he'd lost so long ago. It was a fucking shame that he felt he had to. She returned to the office and handed Hobbs four envelopes, each with five thousand dollars in a rubberband. She let the displeasure she felt at the transaction shine through and felt gratified when Chris lowered his eyes, cowering from the hatred displayed prominently in hers.


 


"Thank you," he said softly, as much of a WASP as she and Justin was and as much of a victim as well.


 


She acknowledged it with a slight tilt of her head even as she heard the office door open and a loud yell from the doorway. She turned to see the one person they all hoped wouldn't find out about the meeting. Gus was furious and before anyone knew what was going on, Gus Petersen-Kinney landed a punch that knocked Christopher Marc Hobbs out cold. The room erupted in mild chaos as Gus was grabbed from behind by Drew and Emmett, Carmella and her parents stood in shock at the pandemonium ensuing and Brandon, along with Aurora and Quinn were trying to revive Gus' victim.


 


"What the fuck is he doing here? Mom? Dad? Papa? Someone answer me?" Gus screamed.


 


None of the occupants had ever seen him so angry. If all hadn't been in a state of shock, they would have seen the identical look Brian always wore when in the same state. Brian recovered first.


 


"Son, there is a lot you don't know about this. But the man that was here earlier had a lot to do with why Hobbs is here now."


 


Gus took a deep breath to calm himself, trying to process his father's words through the anger which still coursed through him at seeing the man who'd hurt Justin. "Mr. Dixon?"


 


"Yeah, Son. Unfortunately the man you just knocked out- fucking great right hook by the way- is also the man who confirmed some other problems concerning your cousins, John and Peter. We had to hear him out, Son." He deliberately left out the threats being hurled at he and Justin. Gus was already stressed enough with seeing the man who had almost killed Justin. "How did you happen up in here anyway?"


 


"I came to tell you, that Uncle Michael was trying to gain entry into the house. You have to go talk to him, Dad." Gus looked into the eyes so like his own and saw the instant sadness within.


 


"I know, Gus. We'll deal with your punishment for acting rashly against Hobbs later though."


 


Lindsey stepped up. "I personally think he should be applauded although I have to agree with your father as the other adult. We don't go around punching people, Gus."


 


"I know but this was a special case, Mom."


 


"No matter how warranted, Gus, what were you taught?" Brian asked.


 


"We don't condone violence; but we do condone self-defense," he said in a near-sarcastic tone of voice.


 


"So you see, Son, you violated one of the cardinal laws of the Kinney men but we'll deal with it later. In the meantime you still have guests. I won't make you apologize to Hobbs because I've also told you never to lie and I know it would not be genuine."


 


Gus smiled at all three of his parents before saying, "Well, Papa, it was your turn to be punished by Dad last night for violating the Kinney Men Code of Conduct. I suppose I'll have to take my punishment as well as you did."


 


Lindsey and Brian chuckled at the look of chagrin on Justin's face. "Perhaps not that well and definitely NOT the same degree of punishment. We'll think of something far more suited to your age, Gus-Gus."


 


"Nice save," Brian mumbled for Justin's ears alone.


 


"Asshole," Justin said back with his bright smile in tact.


 


The others had finally managed to revive Chris and although Gus wasn't sorry he approached Hobbs anyway. He couldn't deny the satisfaction as he saw the fear in other man's eyes, evidenced outwardly by the sudden recoil of Hobbs' body.


 


"I won't apologize for knocking you out because my fathers taught me never to lie. However, I will say thank you for whatever information you provided to help my family," Gus said, his voice strong and sure.


 


Hobbs surprised all , even himself by extending his hand. "You're welcome. You're Kinney's kid alright."


 


"There was never any doubt," Gus answered. "And now I think it's time for you to leave."


 


Chris nodded. "It is." He looked passed Gus to face his two fathers. "I hope it all works out for you two," he said.


 


"Thank you, Chris," Justin said reluctantly feeling sorry for him in a slight way because of what he was about to do. He would never be able to see his children grow up as long as the vicious men in his family lived. "I wish you well."


 


They all watched as Chris collected the envelopes and he and Brandon turned to leave the office. Daphne would make sure they walked out the front door and made it safely to Brandon's car in case Gus had another urge to punch the shit out of him again. Drew accompanied her for the exact same reason while chuckling to himself and marveling at how much Gus was like both of his fathers.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Meanwhile in the office, Gus spent his time genuinely apologizing to Carmella, Janice and Morris and explaining why he felt compelled to act out of the character they had all known him for. After listening to the entire story of Brian, Justin and their history with the man who'd just left, Morris agreed and completely supported Gus' actions. It also gave a bit more insight to the man who was going to be his daughter's stepfather. Morris had never been more grateful than at that moment that Janice immediately called off the engagement. It also helped that his sister, Aurora, was there to fill them in on carefully-worded events prior to their entry. Morris was able to fully piece together what wasn't said in lieu of what was. He knew Janice was as well. Brian and Justin breathed a small sigh of relief when Morris and Janice offered whatever assistance they could give for now or in the future, happy to know that whatever came of Carmella and Gus, they still would be friends. Everyone cleared out of the office with the exception of Colby and John who were hard at work getting the accounts protected again.


 


Brian was the last to leave a little reluctant, knowing what was waiting for him on the outside of the inner sanctum. Justin stood silently, reading every thought clear on his lover's face. He led them to the far end of the corridor which was secluded away from the prying eyes of the friends and family. He waited for Brian to speak and let Brian find comfort in running his fingers through Justin's locks. For some reason, Justin almost laughed at Brian's obsession with his hair but he realized that whenever Brian was deep in thought and Justin was around, it was one of the things that soothed him. So Justin turned his back to his husband and placed himself within Brian's arms while leaning his head back to give free reign. He almost cringed at the initial forceful grip Brian placed on his head but the touch became gentle, as if Brian was remembering who he was with just then. At the continual stroking, Justin couldn't help the deep purr which eventually escaped.


 


"Like that, don't you?" Brian asked in a sexy rasp matching his own.


 


"Yes I do and you know it but now isn't the time."


 


"I know, Sunshine."


 


Justin went back to quietly letting Brian absorb the peace around them; to finding as much peace with himself as Brian could take at that moment. The benefit to their dynamic had always been their ability to communicate without words but Justin knew in this case Brian needed to speak his fears. He just didn't know where to start so Justin did.


 


"What do you want?"


 


"What do you mean? I have you." Justin stood still but the stiffness of his body told Brian everything he needed to know. "Oh alright, I'll say it. I want the friend I used to know, Justin."


 


"Good that's a start but I'm the wrong person you should be telling that to."


 


Brian smiled. "Gently pushing me off Mount Kinney, are you?"


 


"Someone has to and who better than another Kinney." Justin raised his eyebrow daring Brian to refute his use of the infamous Kinney Cliff method. "Besides the Brian Kinney I know was never a coward and he isn't one now."


 


"What makes you so sure?"


 


Justin turned in his arms and kissed him ferociously. Brian followed where Justin led without question or hesitation; it was as natural as breathing to do so. Justin deepened the kiss again, slowly releasing the pent up anger he'd felt through the last several hours into the kiss along with the worry. The more aggressive he became, the more it triggered Brian's innate need for dominance. Eventually Brian released his own frustrations and took back the control, holding Justin where he wanted him- not giving an inch in his resolve to subdue. When he released Justin from the kiss, both were breathing hard but the communication was clearer to them than ever.


 


"See?"


 


"Yeah, I do, Justin."


 


"No one, not even me, can make you do what you don't want to do. Give yourself permission to be happy, Brian. Fucking decide what you want and own it, pass or fail."


 


"Right now I want you."


 


Justin rolled his eyes. "You already have me and have for a very long time. Right now, you have a friendship to either salvage or dissolve."


 


Brian cocked his head to the side really curious of the answer to his next question. "What do you want regarding it?"


 


"Uh-huh, Mr. Kinney. That friendship has nothing to do with me unless the issues of it affect me directly as in last night. Other than that, it was established long before I came waltzing my perky ass into your life. Therefore this is between you and Michael. Just know that I'm not going anywhere and regardless of what you choose, I'm yours." He'd kept his voice level but the fierceness in his next statement gave Brian pause for a moment. "But I will always defend what's mine and that is you most of all."


 


Brian nodded, Justin's message clear. "Well then, I'd better go take care of this before he causes another scene." He kissed Justin quickly and left the corridor.


 


Justin turned his back and looked out over the landscaping at the back of the house. He knew that no matter the outcome, he meant every word. He wasn't going anywhere. He thought back over all that was said in the office, of Chris' confession, even of how close he'd come to losing Brian and himself over the years. He had no doubts, even now, that they could survive anything....and that included the phenomenon of Hurricane Michael Charles Novotny.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


 


Brian made his way to the front of the house. He thought about changing clothes but decided against it. The last thing he needed to hear was the high-pitched squawking of one Emmett Honeycutt, Party Planner Extraordinare. No doubt he would be joined in lamentations by all those he considered family and laughed at by the man who had come to mean the world to him. As he made his way to Michael's car, he thought about Justin and his patient understanding when it came to Brian's silent need for time before delivering the heart-stopping, toe-curling, dick-jumping kiss and gentle push which spurred Brian to action. He thanked a deity he still wasn't sure he believed in wholeheartedly that Justin had chosen to fight for what they developed through the years. Sometimes Brian wasn't sure they could make it and he knew Justin had his own doubts but they were determined to see life and its many challenges through together.


 


He looked through the window of the SUV Michael drove, watching the man he'd known as his best friend, sleep. His face looked like he'd been locked in the ring with Oscar de la Hoya. He smiled briefly when Lindsey had coerced him into watching a prize fight with the former champion and remembered comparing Mel to him the night of Gus' birth. Bringing his thoughts back to the present, he knew that he at least owed it to himself to hear Mikey out. There was no question of what he had to do but how he did it would depend solely on Michael.


 


He knocked on the window before entering the car, making sure that Michael was fully awake and cognizant upon entering.


 


"Brian!" The smile which greeted Brian was the same as always, bright and full of innocent wonder.


 


"Hello Mikey."


 


He watched as Michael released a huge sigh in relief. "That's good. I'm back to being ‘Mikey.'"


 


"You've always been that to me," Brian said honestly. "What are you doing here?"


 


"I- I came to apologize for my behavior last night."


 


"That's a start but I'm not the one you should be apologizing to."


 


Michael blanked his face at the reference to Justin but not before Brian saw the emotions of anger and annoyance which flashed across his damaged face. "Fine. I apologize to him too but I'm not here to talk about him, Brian."


 


"Then why are you here, Mikey?"


 


"I want to know if we could still be friends. You know the way we used to be before all this ‘Justin' stuff started happening." He gestured his hand in a small circle before placing it back on the steering wheel.


 


Brian sucked his lips into his mouth before answering. "We can't do that Michael because I'm not the same person I was back then; neither are you."


 


"What? What are you talking about, Brian? I'm still the same." Michael whined.


 


Brian thought about all the years of their friendship. Michael was always possessive of Brian, always doing things to get Brian's attention trying to stake a claim that ultimately belonged to Justin from the first moment they met. The problem wasn't so much that Brian had changed. It was that Michael was right...he hadn't. He had a great guy in Ben Bruckner but he still wanted all of Brian's attention. He would constantly think and dream up ways to garner it even if that meant breaking Brian and Justin up or setting Justin up with misinformation; even withholding information from Brian if it achieved what Michael wanted in the end which was for Brian to want and need him. And Brian couldn't live that way anymore. He damned sure wasn't going to ask Justin to endure it anymore even if his husband was willing to do it for Brian's sake. They already had enough shit to deal with without adding Michael's manipulations to it all.


 


"You're right, Mikey. You are the same but I am not. I love Justin- always have and will continue to do so. The shit you have pulled over the years could have really cost me him."


 


Michael began to cry. "Why Brian? Why the fuck is it always about him? I'm your best friend. I was there for you when you had no one. How could you just toss me aside like I meant nothing to you?"


 


Brian closed his eyes gathering his patience. "Why is it always about you, Michael? It's as if you're happy as long as I'm miserable which is exactly what I am without Justin." Brian shook his head. "You know what, Mikey. I can't do this anymore. I will not be put in the middle of you and Justin."


 


Michael's tears cleared up instantly. "Great. Then that means he's history, right Brian?"


 


"What? What the fuck?" Brian exploded. "No, he isn't, Michael. YOU ARE! Justin is my husband, my lover and my best friend. My confidant, my business partner, the other father to my son...in short my everything. I can't do this anymore, Michael and I won't. You've caused me to have to choose between you; between my past and my future; between who I was and who I am; between what you want and what I need. So no, Michael, we can't be friends anymore. The Brian and Mikey show has had its last rerun." Brian moved to exit the car but turned to see the stunned expression on his former best friend's face. He leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek. "It doesn't mean that I don't love you, Michael. I always have and always will. But I love myself more."


 


Brian left the car, walking slowly back to the house. His heart breaking with every step, he listened as the SUV started and made its way down the extended driveway. Only then did he allow the tears to fall.


 


When he arrived back inside he was greeted with the sight that almost floored him and made him feel better for the interim. Emmett had managed to turn the first floor of Britin in to baby Babylon. He couldn't help but laugh since it was a classic Honeycutt thing to do. His motto of "When in doubt, have a party," was definitely accurate for the sight of people dancing, socializing and having an all-around good time. Brian felt Justin's presence even before the strong arms circled his trim waist.


 


"Hey Stud, wanna dance?"


 


Brian smiled at the memory of a time gone by long ago where he'd asked Justin that question. Turning to behold the countenance he loved so much, he leaned in for a heated kiss, relishing the feel of the plush lips beneath his. When he coaxed a sigh of surrender from Justin and led him to the dance floor, he said, "I thought you would never ask."


Eyes closed, foreheads pressed together, fingers carding through each others' hair, Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney was finally free to celebrate their union...and woe to anyone who tried to tear it apart.