- Text Size +

Finding a park on Liberty Avenue was almost as bad as trying to find a park anywhere in New York City but Justin had finally managed to do it. He walked in to the Diner and was immediately transformed years back from the first time he'd walked in. As with so many times from the time he was seventeen, he was looking for Brian.


"Hey Deb, can I get a cup of coffee?" He said moving further into the space.

"Oh sure, Sunshine, I'll be with you in a minute." He saw the exact moment when she realized what she said. "Sunshine! What--what are you doing here?" She grabbed him, hugging him so close her arms felt like boa constrictors.

"Debbie, I can't breathe," he half gasped, half chuckled but he hugged her back. Feeling her arms around him reminded him of comfort. No matter how much he aged, nothing would ever replace the feeling of love he received while working as a busboy at Liberty Diner nor the major role Debbie played in Justin becoming the man he was.

"Oh, sorry, Sunshine. It's just been forever since I've seen you," she said reaching out to cradle is cheek in her hand. "Look at you, all grown up. Turn around and let me see if you still have that bubble butt." Debbie's signature laugh was evident as ever.

"Move over, Debbie and let me have a shot at him," Emmett said reaching in and embracing Justin. "Hey sweetie, it's been a long time. What brings you back?"

"Don't worry, guys I'll answer all of your questions in a moment as I'm sure you have a million of them."

He was greeted by both Drew and Blake as he settled into the booth they all frequented directly across from the counter. Debbie grabbed his coffee and joined the impromptu welcome back party.  "So now that we have your coffee all settled, you can tell me--I mean 'us' what you're doing in Pittsburgh."


Justin sipped his coffee trying to decide just how much he should tell them. He wasn't sure how much they already knew considering before all the changes they were still like family but this was different. The story of Brian and Justin was a well-known but touchy subject amid all of them mainly because of how it all began. What was only meant to be a one-night stand had blossomed into a relationship of sorts full of passion, fun, excitement, jealousy, rage and turmoil. It was in the very booth where they all sat where Brian had 'introduced' him to his one-time lover Ethan who Justin later referred to as the biggest fucking mistake of his pathetic stupid life which was how he felt at the time. Across from the table stood the stool where Justin remembered being pissed off about fucking "Zucchini Man." It was in the very diner they sat where Brian and Justin saw each other for the first time after the Rage party, where Michael and Justin had come up with the idea to create the comic book which bridged a gap between Michael and Justin but also ultimately helped tear Brian and Justin apart. So many memories both good and bad happened within the four walls where he sat.


"I'm here to see Brian," he said matter-of-factually.

"Well we know that," Emmett said. "What I want to know is why."

Justin had to laugh. Emmett was never known for subtly and this was no different. "If you must know I'm here to end things for good." He looked around the table at each of the occupants. This couldn't have come as a shock, could it? "It's not that we don't love each other. We do and always will but our lives are separate and it's time we acknowledge that and move on."

"Yeah but Justin, to give up on everything you both have fought through even after calling off your wedding--" Debbie said disbelievingly. "This is ten years of your lives and no it may not have been everything you wanted it to be, Sunshine, but it's worth more than anything you've had. Are you really prepared to give that up?"

Justin was saved from answering as the bell to the door rang out. "Debbie I have to...Oh my God! Sweetheart?"

Justin stood up to face his mother,Jennifer. "Hey Mom," he said moving toward her to embrace her. They hadn't seen each other in the better part of four years at her wedding to Tucker. "How have you been? How's Mollusk adjusting to life at Dartmouth?"

Jennifer held him at arms length looking in amazement at the man her son had become. She touched his shoulder-length hair tweaking the ends. She remembered when he'd first cut it during that whole "Pink Posse" episode of his life. She still thanked God that was over without Justin being harmed. "Molly is doing fine. We just left her to return here. Why didn't you tell us you were coming?"

"It was a spur of the moment trip, Mom," Justin evaded her question.

"Well you simply must come to dinner."

"Well see," he answered noncommittally. It wasn't that he had a problem with Tucker anymore. He was well past that once he found he wasn't going anywhere. He still inwardly rolled his eyes at the thought that his mom was dating--no married to--someone only six years older than he was. But it was the first time they would have the house completely to themselves now that Molly was officially away at school. He shook his head to mentally clear away any images which surfaced at the thought of what they'd be doing. EW!! He hurriedly continued the conversation. "Well Dad has finally gotten one of kids to Dartmouth. Good for him," he said a little sarcastically at the end.

"Yeah he did. Are you going to see him while you're in town? You all haven't seen each other since the summer of 2005. He's still your father. Don't you think it's time you two talk?"

"Nope. I'm fine with the fact we haven't. Besides, Molly tells me I have a new baby brother. Well not exactly new. The child--Stephen is it?-- should be about six or seven by now, right?"

Jennifer dropped her eyes. She remembered that time in their lives well when Justin came out. It was painful for all of them. Craig and her had been having problems so they divorced. Craig blamed Justin for everything which couldn't have been further from the truth but Justin took it to heart for a time. She wondered if he was really over all of it. "Yeah he's seven. I see them in passing every now and again but Molly has kept the relationship up."

"Well now that's good. Don't worry, Mom," Justin said. "I have long since moved on past Dad. I'm living a life I'm happy with for the most part and have achieved everything I set out to do. I have no reason at all to be unhappy with the way things turned out."

She nodded. "Wait--what do you mean for the most part? Is everything alright, Justin?" She looked him in the eyes searching for answers.

He took her hand and kissed it while returning her look. "Everything is fine, Mom. Just have to resolve a few things and then even the most part will be in order." He hugged her again.


Going back to the rented car after leaving the diner, Justin thought of all Debbie had said prior to his mom's arrival. Was he really ready to let Brian go? Everything in him rebelled at the idea but Justin needed to get off the Kinney/Taylor Rollercoaster. It wasn't healthy; more like co-dependent. The past ten years had been great for both of them and no, he couldn't deny they would always love each other. Brian's actions before and after the wedding plans--even though they remained plans instead of actions--showed his love for Justin.

Standing at the bank of the Susquehanna River, Justin replayed all the key moments of their relationship over the past fifteen years. What began in the year 2000 and had grown into a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to love and be loved in return then became relegated to an affair for two weeks, every two years. How the hell had they gotten themselves into it?  Justin grew misty as he remembered the exact moment and what Brian said just before they'd made love a final time at the place where it all began. 'Whether we see each other next weeknext month--never againit's only time. The problem with time was that it always ran out at some point. Resolve solidified, Justin made his way to the one place he was sure Brian would be... Kinnetik. 

Chapter End Notes:

Just a little note and a geography lesson.... I decided to make mention of the Susquehanna because that is the 'river' Debbie made reference to in the series. In all honesty, it was wrong and a glaring error by the writers to those of us who actually know a little about geography. The Susquehanna is NOT one of the three rivers in close proximity to Pittsburgh. Those rivers are the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio which make up the Golden Triangle. The Susquehanna River runs through Binghampton NY and is also known as part of the Chesapeake Bay Basin. It is about 313 miles between Binghampton and Pittsburgh (5 hours and 35 minutes- give or take a few) so I'm not quite sure why the reference was made except to say that it was basic common error. I hope that satisfies your curiosity about why I stuck to the 'original' reference.

Enjoy the rest of the story!!