- Text Size +

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to accept what is true."

- Soren Kierkegaard


"Whew what a night," Carl said beginning to peel off his dark blue dinner jacket and loosening his tie. He was glad that the offending garment was no longer part of his daily ensemble. "The ceremony was great. I mean, who would have taken Kinney for a romantic. That he remembered their very first conversation was simply amazing. Based on what was written, I can see why Justin made such an impression on him."


"Are you just going to ignore the rest of what happened, Carl? You don't really believe what Emmett said was true do you? I mean it was Brian and Justin's house, after all. Perhaps he felt he had to defend Justin punching Michael. You can definitely tell Brian's influence on him. The Justin I know would never have done that."


Carl looked at Debbie half in shock, half in amazement. "Debbie did you actually listen to what Emmett said? That was not the first time Michael had said those vicious things about Justin. If someone had said those things about you, I sure hell would have punched them in the mouth."


"Carl, you know Michael. He would never really say all those mean things without being drunk."


Carl crossed the room and pulled Debbie onto the bed beside him. "Let me tell you about drunk people, Deb. Most times, alcohol doesn't make them say hateful things out of the blue. They don't call it liquid courage for nothing. Michael said what was in his heart. What's more is that he said it before I even came around. And then to invite Justin's ex-boyfriend there knowing that Brian and Justin would be angry about it...Yeah, Michael meant every action he did tonight and every word he said."


"After all I've done for Brian and Justin, you would think they would ignore Michael or overlook his behavior because he was drunk. And then Brian didn't even help him, going with Justin upstairs like nothing happened."

Carl shook his head. He would never understand how an intelligent person and able to read people as well as she did was constantly blind to her own son's machinations. "Are you listening to yourself? ‘After all I've done for Brian and

Justin they should have overlooked or ignored Michael...' Are you serious? The problem is that they have been ignoring Michael in favor of living their own lives as they see fit. That's what Michael can't handle. Kinney made a decision that he was expressly and most vocally not pleased with and Michael decided to act like a child, pulling pranks. Well I guess he'll remember the grown man ass whooping Justin put on him tonight." Carl chuckled unapologetically. He didn't even bother to address the second part of her statement.


"You think this is funny, Carl? Justin could have killed Michael tonight and you're standing there like this is some fucking game."


"You're damn right I think it's funny, Debbie. He was warned by everyone, yourself included, not to interfere in Brian and Justin's relationship. When are you going to let him be a man and face his consequences like everyone else? Michael deserved what he got tonight. I mean, saying that Justin should have died in that bashing. That was low, even for him. He's lucky he's not meeting St. Peter at the pearly gates right now." Carl continued to disrobe and ready himself for bed. He was tired from having to deal with the excitement of mayhem brought on by Michael Novotny and Ethan Gold. "Has it ever occurred to you, Debbie, that Michael has an inappropriate fixation with Brian and his decisions? Every time Brian does something that Michael doesn't agree with, he pouts and stomps around. He whines but then that's nothing new."


"Brian and he have been best friends since they were fourteen...more like brothers. Of course he's going to give his opinion about what happens in Brian's life."


"And it doesn't bother you considering Michael has been married to Ben for the last eleven years? Also they haven't exactly been close during that time but nothing seems odd or out of place about that?"


"What the fuck are you getting at Carl?" Debbie nearly shouted.


"I think your boy is mentally sick and needs to talk to someone is what I think." There it's finally out there. "There's no way a completely rational person would have pulled what he did tonight."


Debbie's eyes widened at Carl's implication. "Michael is NOT sick, Carl. I'm his mother, I would know."


"The same mother who is standing here defending more actions of her wayward son. But hey what the hell do I know? I've only seen cases like this countless times but those others weren't as lucky as your son was tonight and Justin not as violent as those arrested for committing the crime. Now I'm going to bed."


"No you're not," Debbie shouted at him. "You can't just throw something out there like that and say you're going to bed."


"Actually I can and I am."


"Well you're not sleeping here," she folded her arms across her chest. Now I know where Michael gets that from.


"Yes I am. Since we were unceremoniously asked to leave Britin by one of the owners what normally would have been our room with a couch placed in the suite, those types of accommodations are not here. I am climbing into this bed because God only knows what we will have to deal with come morning in the wake of Michael's actions." He closed his eyes deliberately ending the conversation.


Debbie took the hint because Carl felt the sink a little under the weight of Debbie's bottom. Carl let out a little sigh of relief, hoping that someday she will finally see her role as enabler.