- Text Size +

 

Almost But Not Quite

Chapter 5





Upscale Restaurant in Pittsburgh

Brian Kinney walked beside Melanie Markus along the entrance hallway into one of his favorite restaurants. No one would believe why he was there and what he was going to do. He had called Melanie and asked her to lunch. As much as doing that galled him, he knew it was necessary. Lindsay would be pissed when she found out, but there wasn't any other choice. His mind was totally on why he had called her to the exclusion of all else.

"Let me get this straight," Melanie was saying as he tuned back in. “You have the astonishingly breathtaking gall to ask me to represent you."

Brian smirked. Looked like they were both full of gall today. "Yeah, and I'll pay too," Brian said sarcastically. He truly needed a lawyer.

"Keep your money," Melanie retorted as she sat down at their table. "Because, from what I hear, you're going to need it."

"Fine! Homophobic corporate America wins again," Brian grumbled, but he sat down without removing his overcoat. He stuck his hands in his coat pockets and slumped down in his chair. He felt defeated. Nobody wanted to help. They were all quick to jump on him about his promiscuous behavior, like any of them gave a fuck what he did or what happened to him. Now that he was suspended and being sued, nobody would give him the time of day. They thought he was getting what he deserved.

"Oh please!" Melanie scoffed as she tossed her coat over the back of her chair and sat down. She leaned across the table getting her face closer to Brian's to make her point. "You're a white male. That still counts for something in this country." She sat back crossing her arms on her chest. She expected to get a rise out of Brian fucking Kinney, but he merely waited instead. "All right, just for laughs," Melanie chuckled after a pause, "give me your version of the story."

Brian stared at her and gave a little shrug. What could he say? "He wanted it. I gave it to him," Brian stated simply.

Melanie laughed. "Like I asked for – short but sweet."

Brian frowned. "It wasn't that short." He was getting pissed.

"And where did this act of selfless generosity take place?" she asked sarcastically. Who the fuck did Brian Kinney think he was? He was in big trouble at work, and she firmly intended to enjoy every moment of his misery.

"At my office and in my loft," Brian supplied, deliberately keeping his voice flat and emotionless. He didn't want to let her know when she got to him.

"So he couldn't have minded too much, if he came back for more," Melanie stated mulling that over in her head. She perked up a little at this revelation. Maybe there was some way to defeat this Kip Thomas after all, if she decided to get involved. Melanie enjoyed a good fight. She forgot for a moment that it would be Brian Kinney that she would be defending. Her legal mind had kicked in and she was figuring the best way to attack Thomas' case. "Go on," she said, wanting more information about what had happened.

"Then he asked me to help him get a promotion."

"What did you tell him?"

"I told him he wasn't ready."

"How did he take it?"

"How do you think?" Brian asked. These questions were idiotic. Kip Thomas was suing his ass off. How did Melanie think he took it? Brian swallowed hard, keeping his temper under control. "He felt that because we are both gay and we'd fucked," Brian continued in measured tones, "that somehow he was entitled to a free ride. I didn't agree." Brian stopped there and watched Melanie.

She leaned back in her chair and sized up her "maybe" client. After a pause, she decided to take the bull by the horns, or maybe with Kinney, that should be by the dick. "How many tricks do you have a month?" she asked, giving no reason for her question.

Brian wondered what she was fishing for, but decided to answer short and sweet again. "Twenty, thirty," Brian supplied with a slight frown. He wished he could figure out where she was going with this.

"Jesus! What a life!" Melanie reacted.

"What does the number of guys I do, have to do with it?" Brian asked rather indignantly. He didn't like revealing things about his life to anyone, but especially to Melanie Markus. He was only answering because he hoped it would help her decide to take his case. He hated the thought of having to go searching for another lawyer who would know even less about him and ask even more questions.

Melanie snorted. "Well, for once, the fact that you screw everything that moves is your finest quality and your best defence. You didn't have to abuse your position at work to get laid," she explained, taking some of the rancor out of her voice.

"The fuck defence?" Brian asked in disbelief.

"We've got to prove that when this kid didn't get what he wanted, he decided to use law and order to get even." Melanie was already formulating how she would put Brian's case to a judge or a tribunal, or whatever the fuck method they used to decide Brian's punishment.

"Then you'll take the case?" Brian asked trying not to sound too hopeful, but he leaned forward in anticipation as he waited for Melanie's answer.

Melanie sat back, crossed her arms again and stared at Brian. "Look, not that I give a shit about saving your ass! But it might be amusing to have you indebted to me for the rest of your life," she told him smugly.

They stared at each other, understanding the unholy alliance that had just been created.



*****




Daphne's house

"What are you going to do?" Daphne asked.

"I don't know," Justin replied.

"But you can't keep letting Chris ram you into lockers and torment you."

"I can … and I have to."

"Report him to the principal," Daphne suggested.

"It won't do any good. He'll deny it, and worse, the principal will call my parents."

"So?"

"They don't know I'm gay."

"Maybe it's time they did," Daphne said thoughtfully.

"Daph, I can't…"

"Sure you can. Just tell them. It won't be so bad, and I'm sure your mother…"

"It's not my mother that I'm worried about," Justin sighed.

"Your Dad will be … upset, but he'll get used to it."

"No, I don't think he will."

"Why not?" Daphne wanted to know.

"I … yesterday I broached the topic of where I'm going to go to college," Justin explained.

"So?" Daphne asked with a frown.

"I really want to go to Pittsburgh Institute of Fine Arts."

"That's exactly where you should go," Daphne affirmed. "You're going to be an artist."

Justin shook his head. "I don't think so."

"What happened?"

"As soon as I mentioned PIFA, my Dad started into it. No son of his was going to some faggot college to learn a useless set of skills that would keep him in poverty for the rest of his life."

"He didn't say that?" Daphne asked in disbelief.

"Oh yeah, he did, and much more. I'm going to Dartmouth to major in business and that's that."

"But he can't make you," Daphne said.

"If I want him to pay for it, he can."

Daphne's mouth dropped open. "What are you going to do?"

"I guess I'm going to Dartmouth," Justin said with defeat clearly in his voice.

"But there must be some other way," Daphne protested.

Justin shook his head. "I've never heard my father so angry. Apparently he's been planning for me to follow in his footsteps at Dartmouth for all these years. He won't hear of anything else."

"I'm sorry, Justin."

"Me too, but it's not the end of the world. I went on the internet last night. Dartmouth has art courses and a decent art museum. Dad doesn't care what my minor is as long as I major in business. I think that's the route I'll go."

"Really? You're not going to fight him on this?"

"What good would it do? He holds all the cards."

"I still think it sucks."

"Sometimes life's a bitch as they say."

"If anyone can make Dartmouth work, you can."

Justin smiled. "Thanks, Daph. I'm still going to be an artist. I'll always be an artist at heart. It just may take a little longer to get some recognition in that field."

Daphne pulled her best friend into a warm hug. Justin would be all right. He had to be.



*****


Ryder Agency

Brian and Melanie sat in the board room at Ryder. This was to be a preliminary meeting between Brian's lawyer and Kip Thomas' lawyer. Melanie adjusted her papers.

"You're sure he doesn't have a leg to stand on?" Brian asked.

"He is suing you for sexual harassment when it's basically your word against his. He's the one trying to gain by his threats of legal action. I think we have a strong chance of winning."

Brian looked at her. "I fucking hope you're right."

"I am," Melanie said confidently.

The door to the room opened. In came Marty Ryder and a man that Brian knew as the firm's lawyer. There was no sign of Kip Thomas.

"What's going on?" Melanie asked.

"This is Matthew Luongo," Marty said. "He's the agency's lawyer."

"Hello, Mr. Luongo," Melanie said standing and extending her hand. They shook hands. Brian remained seated. He had met Matt before, and he wasn't sure he liked the direction this was going. "I was under the impression I was meeting with Mr. Thomas and his lawyer," Melanie said.

"That won't be necessary," Marty replied.

"Oh, why not?" Melanie inquired.

Brian felt his hopes soar. Maybe Kip had changed his mind, had decided he couldn't win.

"Mr. Thomas is dropping his lawsuit," Marty said.

Brian let out a long breath. Maybe that was the end of it. Kip was backing off. Melanie must have been right.

"Really?" Melanie asked raising an eyebrow. "And why is that? I was led to believe he was adamant in his claims."

"He was and is. I don't want the kind of publicity that a trial about homosexual harassment would generate," Marty said slowly. "As a result I have come to an agreement with Mr. Thomas."

"And how much is that going to cost me?" Brian asked knowing this all sounded too easy.

"Monetarily, nothing."

"What does that mean?"

"I'm promoting Kip. He's very good at his job, just about as good as you, Brian. In the long run he won't be nearly as much trouble as you have been," Marty said, looking Brian in the eye.

"You can't expect me to work here with Kip Thomas if you do that," Brian protested.

"I don't," Marty said evenly. "As part of the agreement with Mr. Thomas, you're terminated. Please vacate the premises immediately."

"And don't think about suing, Brian," Matt said gently. "You haven't got a leg to stand on.

Where had he heard that line before?

Matt and Ryder walked out the door making sure to shut it with a resounding thud as they did so.

"Well, that went well," Melanie said sarcastically.

"Yeah, perfect. I'm not being sued, but now I'm unemployed."

"You'll get my bill in the mail tomorrow," Melanie said as she gathered up her papers.

"Wait just a second," Brian said. "We have to fight this."

"You can fight it if you want, but Mr. Luongo was right. You don't have a leg to stand on, just like Kip didn't."

"What about wrongful termination?" Brian asked rubbing his hand across his forehead. A colossal headache was starting.

"What's wrongful about it? You caused the agency to get involved in a lawsuit based on your questionable behavior. Ryder is within his rights to terminate you."

"But you're supposed to be defending me," Brian protested.

"Against Kip Thomas," Melanie stated matter-of-factly.

"Yeah."

"That's done. You won."

"It fucking doesn't feel like I won."

Melanie shrugged as Brian watched her snap her briefcase closed.

"If you want to fight Ryder, get yourself another lawyer." She picked up her coat and disappeared out the door.

Brian watched her go. What the fuck was he going to do now?



*****


Justin's Bedroom

Justin hit the print button on his computer and watched his acceptance letter to Dartmouth print out. With a sigh he pulled it from his computer and read the words that would decide his future for the next four years, would decide the direction of his life forever.

He leaned back in his chair staring off into space and contemplating his future as a business major at Dartmouth. It wasn’t what he wanted, but he couldn’t contradict his father. If he wanted an education, he would have to go to Dartmouth. He’d just have to make it work.

His eyes fell on his jeans jacket hanging on the back of his bedroom door. His eyes lit up as he studied the folds of fabric, how the light and dark made shadows, giving the fabric depth and texture. He could capture that on paper. He knew he could. He felt his fingers itch, as he reached for a pencil from the Yellow Submarine pencil holder on his desk. He set the letter to Dartmouth down, being careful not to wrinkle it. With a sigh and a faint smile on his lips, he picked up his sketchbook and started to draw his jacket.