- Text Size +

 

Almost But Not Quite

Chapter 7





Justin searched through his closet. Nothing was any good. He needed something to wear to the art show, but he couldn't find anything appropriate. Part of that was because he wasn't sure what one wore to an art show, and especially what one should wear to a gay art show. He just knew that nothing he owned was going to cut it.

He picked up his cell phone and hit the usual number. "Daph," he said into his phone. "Can you borrow your mother's car? We need to go shopping."

Some time later Daphne angled her mother's car into a parking space on Liberty Avenue.

"Why did you bring me here?" Justin asked glancing around nervously. "I thought we were going to the mall."

"I saw lots of boutiques along the street when we came to the Gay and Lesbian Center. If you're looking for something to wear to an art show that will be frequented by gays, then you should shop for it on a street full of gay men."

Justin looked around. He hadn't planned on coming to Liberty Avenue. He wasn't sure he wanted to be there. What if he saw Brian? What if he saw Brian and Brian didn't even remember him? He let out a long breath.

"We'll find you something great to wear. Don't worry," Daphne advised him.

That was the least of his worries now. Justin sighed, "Okay, let's go. I have to find something, and I guess this is as good a place as any."

"You could always wear a T-shirt and your cargo pants," Daphne pronounced, more than a little miffed that Justin didn't seem to like where she had taken him. She thought it was a great idea to come to Liberty Avenue to find an outfit.

"I can't wear that to the art show. I'd look like a total geek."

"Then shut up and follow me," Daphne ordered as she climbed out of the car and slammed the door.

"Fine," Justin griped, but he followed her along the street.

"This ought to be a good place," Daphne said studying the outside of Torso and looking in the window at the see-through top that would display the wearer’s nipples.

"I can't wear anything like that," Justin said in horror.

"Of course you could. You'd look cute as a button. I bet you'd have a boyfriend in no time flat, maybe even that Brian asshole."

"Daph…"

"Oh, come on, they must have other clothes that you can't see through." She pushed open the door of Torso and walked inside.

"Hello, hello, hello," a voice called to them from the back of the store.

"Hi," Daphne responded.

"How can I help you today?" the tall man said, as he made his way to the front of the shop. "I'm Emmett; I’ll be your fashion adviser for today."

"Just what we need," Daphne replied with a big smile. "My friend Justin here has some artwork in the show over at the Gay and Lesbian Center. He needs something … stylish to wear to it."

"Hm," Emmett said sizing up what he had to work with. He didn't much care for the cargo pants and T-shirt that he saw, but what was in it wasn't bad. "You're cute as can be, sweetie, but you need to flaunt it, not hide it under a basket, otherwise known as cargo pants."

"I … I don't think you have anything I'd want," Justin said quickly. "Let's go, Daph."

"Oh, don't run away on me," Emmett cried grabbing Justin's arm before he could escape. "I have some more conservative outfits that should suit you just fine. Let me gather some possibles for you to try on."

Justin looked pleadingly at Daphne, but she merely smiled and gave him a little shove towards the back of the store where the change rooms were located.

After an hour of trying on all the outfits Emmett provided, and a lot of giggling and crude comments, Justin finally settled on something he wanted to wear.

"Are you sure you don't want the see-through top?" Daphne asked as Justin paid for his selections.

"You looked hot in it, girl," Emmett laughed as he rang up Justin's bill.

Justin blushed. "I think I'll stick with this," he told them as he picked up the bag.

"Thanks, Emmett," Daphne giggled.

"It was my pleasure, sweetie. I hope you enjoy the art show," he added looking at Justin.

"Will … will you be there … Friday night?" Justin asked bashfully. He'd like someone there that he knew, even if it was only someone he'd spent an hour with.

"I hadn't planned on it. Friday night's my night to par-tay at Babylon," Emmett joked as he snapped his fingers above his head.

"Oh, yeah, sure," Justin agreed hastily. "What's an art show compared to … Babylon?"

"You don't even know what Babylon is, do you?" Emmett asked.

Justin shook his head. "Never heard of it."

"It's a dance club, a gay dance club," Emmett informed them. "You should come by some night. They'd eat you up."

"Eat me up?" Justin asked with a frown.

"That's just an expression. I didn't mean it literally," Emmett chuckled. "Although, on second thought…"

"We better go," Justin said.

"Yeah, I have to get my mom's car back," Daphne admitted.

"Thanks," they called as they left Torso.



*****



"Mikey, what the fuck are you doing here?" Brian asked as he opened the door to the loft.

"I brought this," Michael replied extending a pile of pizza boxes topped with a bucket of fried chicken.

"What the fuck?" Brian demanded as he looked in the bucket. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

"It's comfort food," Michael declared.

"And you thought I needed comfort?" Brian asked sarcastically.

"There is a rumor going around that you lost your job," Michael said dropping the pile of food on the coffee table. "Got any beer?"

"Yeah, I think I can provide a brew or two," Brian told him, heading for the fridge. "I'm not totally broke … yet."

"Um, how bad is it?" Michael asked hesitantly.

"I'll be fine."

"The truth, Brian," Michael demanded.

"I can survive for a few months in my current lifestyle. If I cut back, that will extend the torture a bit longer."

"What are you going to do?" Michael asked taking the beer Brian handed him. He took a drink from the bottle.

"How the fuck should I know?"

"But…"

"Michael, everything's gone to shit because of that fucking Kip Thomas."

"I told you to be careful. You know you shouldn't have fucked him in your office."

"I fucked him here too. It had nothing to do with fucking him at the office. He, on the other hand, fucked me … but good."

"You must be able to do something," Michael said hopefully.

"That horse has left the barn," Brian mused out loud.

"Have you been looking for a job?" Michael asked cracking open the bucket of chicken.

"Nope."

"But…"

"If you're here to cheer me up, Mikey, you're doing a piss poor job."

"Well, you can't just stay here in the loft and waste away," Michael stated bluntly.

"I can do whatever the fuck I want."

Michael blanched. "Yeah, I guess you can, but shouldn't you try to find another job?"

"Shouldn't you quit the fucking Big Q and get a life?" Brian retaliated.

"Brian," Michael whined. "You don't have to be cruel."

"What? Are you waiting for good old Dr. Dave to whisk you away to a castle in the sky, because I don't fucking think that's going to happen."

“And what are you waiting for?" Michael challenged. "You've always wanted your own business. Why don't you start one?"

Brian stopped chewing on his chicken leg and thought about what Michael had just said. "I don't have the money," he said slowly.

"And you never will. If you don't take the big step, you'll always have the excuse of not enough money, or the prospect of a promotion somewhere, or some other fucking reason. There's always an excuse if you want to find it. Just do it!" Michael said emphatically.

"Where the fuck is this coming from?" Brian demanded. "I don't need business advice from you."

"You sure as fuck need it from someone. Look at you."

Brian stopped in the middle of opening the pizza box. At that moment he did try to look at himself as an outside observer might … and he didn't much like what he saw.



*****



"Are you excited?" Daphne asked as she and Justin entered the Gay and Lesbian Center.

"Well, duh, of course I am."

"It's so great," Daphne gushed, "your first show."

"It's just a charity event," Justin said trying to keep it all in perspective.

"It's too bad you couldn't tell your parents. Your mother would be so proud."

"Yeah, but they'd want to know where the show was, and I can hardly tell them I'm part of a gay art show when they don't know I'm gay."

"I still think you should tell them," Daphne said seriously as they got rid of their coats.

"Not yet," was all Justin replied.

They entered the main display area where the art show was housed. Justin looked around wondering where his sketches would be. He saw Lindsay across the room. He and Daphne headed over to her.

After the usual pleasantries, Lindsay led Justin and Daphne across the room to where Justin's sketches were framed and hanging.

"Wow!" Daphne reacted. "They look great."

Justin blushed. "They do look very … professional," he admitted. He surveyed his five pieces. They had added his sketch of baby Abe which was now framed and hung with the other four he had chosen. If the sketch of the baby didn’t sell, Justin wanted to give it to Lindsay for all her encouragement.

"I hope you've applied to some good art schools," Lindsay cautioned him. "You have real talent."

"Thanks," Justin replied.

"Justin's going to Dartmouth," Daphne had to inform Lindsay. Justin elbowed her.

"Dartmouth?"

"Yeah, that's where my Dad wants me to go."

"But you really should apply to an art school. Have you thought about PIFA?"

"Um … I don't think I'd get in," Justin said modestly.

"I think you would," Lindsay said confidently. "The competition for places there is stiff, but you easily measure up."

"You think?" Justin asked.

Lindsay nodded and then moved away when she saw a woman enter the building.

"I wonder who that is?" Justin asked.

"Must be Lindsay's partner," Daphne supplied, "if that kiss means anything."

"Let's look at the other artwork," Justin suggested. They started moving around the room.



*****



"Where's Abe?" Melanie asked her partner.

"Sleeping in the office."

"I'm going to take him home."

"But Brian isn't here yet. He wants to see his son."

"You mean you want him to see our son?" Melanie corrected.

"He said he'd come," Lindsay protested.

"He said he'd come if nothing else came up," Melanie said derisively. "I know how his mind works. And you can be sure his dick will come up."

"Melanie!" Lindsay said clutching at the neck of her dress.

"Well, it's true. I'm taking the baby home. Kinney won't show, and it's already past Abe's bedtime."

Lindsay looked at the door of the GLC, willing Brian to appear. However, she knew that was less and less likely as the night wore on. Silently she gave in to Melanie's wishes and went to gather Abe and his paraphernalia.



*****



"I'm going home," Justin said. "I don't know anybody here and it's getting late."

"But the show isn't closing yet. Maybe you'll meet some nice gay guy, or that Brian might show up," Daphne whispered.

"Yeah, right!"

"Well, something might happen."

"I'm going to say goodnight to Lindsay and then I'm leaving."

"Okay," Daphne sighed trailing along behind her friend.



*****



Justin had barely left the GLC, when Lindsay saw Brian Kinney walk in. She smiled as she walked over to him and kissed his cheek. "You came," she said.

"People keep telling me that I need to get out more, so here I am," Brian snarked. "Where's my son?"

"Melanie took him home about two hours ago," Lindsay apologized. "I told you to come early."

"Something came up."

Lindsay sighed. "Well, now that you're here, why don't you look around at the art work?"

"Got anything to drink?"

"Surely you didn't come for the free booze."

"One of my imposed economies," Brian said bitterly as he grabbed a glass of wine from a nearby table.

He sauntered around the room looking at the artwork, most of which was beyond terrible, or totally lesbianic, which was even worse. He stopped once or twice to look at a piece that caught his attention.

Before he left he bought a piece of artwork for a hundred dollars. It made Lindsay happy and he kind of liked the piece. The only problem was that he could ill afford to spend the hundred dollars on something so frivolous. Oh well, they always say you need beautiful things to soothe the soul, and his soul could currently use a lot of soothing.