- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 2


Brian and Justin arrive at Mel and Lindsay's house. Brian had called ahead and explained why they wanted to talk to Gus. The girls were happy they were coming over. They had been noticing something was off and they couldn't figure it out, but hopefully they would all be able to get to the bottom of things tonight.

 


Gus comes downstairs and immediately knows this can't be good news for him. Looks like tonight gets to be family talk time. Gus resigns himself to the talk and says hi to Brian and Justin and sits on the couch in anticipation.

 

"Don't look so mortified, Gus. You aren't in trouble or anything like that, so you can relax," Justin starts.

 

Gus lets out a breath, "Ok, so why the 4 parent conference for me?"

 

It had been decided Justin would take most of the lead to in the conversation on behalf of the parents. "We just wanted to talk and figure out if you are planning on going to the prom and what we can do to help."

 

"Oh."

 

"So, do you think you are going to the prom, Gus?"

 

"Ummm, I don't really know. I've thought about it, but I'm not really sure."

 

Justin keeps going, "Why aren't you sure?"

 

Gus looks down and starts fidgeting with his fingernails, but doesn't answer.


The parents all look at each other trying to figure out what to do next. Justin tries again, "Does this have anything to do with what happened at my prom? Because, really, you shouldn't worry about how it will affect me."


Gus' head shoots up and he starts to laugh. "You seriously think this is about you? I know dad is self-focused, but you? I wouldn't have figured you for it." Gus continues to laugh out loud as the parents are confused.

 

"Well, if it isn't about what happened at my prom, what is the issue?"

 

Gus finally stops laughing and looks away again. "I don't know who to ask to go with me."

 

Brian decides to step in, "Is that all? That's something we can work on. Who are you considering asking?" Brian figures he has this whole thing figured out.

 

Gus answers, "I'm torn between two people. See, I've kinda been dating them both, but neither of them knows about the other. If I ask one but not the other, it will get out and I'm screwed... and not in a positive, life-affirming way."

 

"Christ, Gus, you hang around with Brian way too much." Melanie chimed in.

 

Lindsay snaps into the conversation at this point. "How did we not know you were dating anyone, much less two people. Who are they? Do we know them?"

 

Gus once again gets nervous and hedges before answering. "One is Steven, you've met him from my soccer team. The other is Ashley, we are in Chemistry class together."

 

At this point, nobody is saying anything. Brian breaks the silence. "I know we've never talked about it, but when you've talked to me, you seemed to always imply you were interested in guys."

 

Lindsay speaks up, "And when you've talked to me, you've always implied an interest in girls. Did you not think we'd understand? You know we ALL love you and support whomever you chose to love."

 

"Ok, Linds, he's trying to decide on prom, not getting married." Brian quipped but added, "Not that she's wrong, Sonny Boy. You can be with anyone you want. Regardless of whether they have a pussy or a cock, BUT it's a dangerous game playing with both at the same time."


"Tactful as ever Brian," Mel snorted.

 

Justin tries to get the conversation sort of back on track. "Gus, how long have you been dating both of them? Do you actually like one more than the other?"

 

"I've been sort of dating Steven for a few months while things with Ashley are a bit newer. I don't know if I like one more than the other. It's different with each of them."

 

"Have you fucked either of them yet?" Brian added to the conversation with a smirk.

 

The others were outraged with Brian until Gus started to answer. "Yeah, Ashley put out pretty quick actually. It took longer with Steven, but we've done things too. Didn't actually think I'd be having this conversation with any of you. Especially all at the same time."

 

"Do you want to talk to us separately? Do you have any questions for any of us? We just want to be here for you."


Of course, leave it to Lindsay to go soft and mushy. Gus decides that as uncomfortable as this is, might as well get it all out in the open once since it has already started anyway. "Let's just get this over with. What do you want to know? This is your chance." Gus stated with a slight version of his dad's smirk. He knew he had the entire room's attention and he might as well play it for all it was worth.

 

The adults all looked around at each other. Never one to shy away, Brian asked, "which do you like better? Cock or pussy?"

 

"Not sure I've tried enough yet to make a truly informed decision," Gus answered with the trademark Kinney smirk.

 

Brian almost looked proud at the way Gus was acting, but hid that and continued. "What have you done to ‘inform' your decision so far?"


"I think I've done everything I want to do with Ashley. Like I said before, she liked to put out... and quick. I've been everywhere with her."

 

Lindsay looked a little green as she listened to her son talk about a girl like this, but she didn't say anything. She wanted to make sure Gus knew he was free to speak to them without judgment.

 

"With Steven it's different. We started slower. We've tried a lot of things, but I haven't bottomed with him." Gus looks down a little embarrassed.

 

"What's stopping you from bottoming?" Justin pipes in.

 

"I don't know, it's just......." Gus waits a few minutes before he continues, "...well, I've heard all the stories about how the hottest guy around was ‘The Stud of Liberty Avenue', and it didn't take long for me to realize who that was..."

 

Brian doesn't even know how to react to this.

 

"Part of the stories are that the stud NEVER bottomed, so I kind of thought that maybe I shouldn't either." Gus keeps his head down and Justin turns to Brian and motions for him to talk to Gus.

 

"Sonny Boy, I'm sorry you had to hear about my past. I know sorry's bullshit, but I do mean it." Brian takes a deep breath before he goes on. "For the record, I have and DO bottom. It's one of the true benefits of being a gay man. Part of the legend was that I didn't bottom, true, but that was all for the image I had worked to make for myself. I wasn't the smartest back then. AND THERE IS NO NEED TO EVER REPEAT THAT TO ANYONE! But that's all it ever was, an image. If you don't want to bottom just because you think it makes you less of a man, stop that way of thinking right now. Do you think Justin is any less of a man? Am I any less of a man?"

 

Gus looked up and saw all the adults staring at Brian. "What?" Brian said as everyone was still silently looking at him. Melanie just smiled and Lindsay blushed as she realized what she just heard.

 

Justin being the only one not surprised by Brian's admission, looked at Gus and began, "Gus, I wonder something. Are you questioning if you are gay or not, or are you just having fun?"


Gus thought about it and answered "When I really think about it, I'm just having fun with Ashley, and really, not even that much fun, but with Steven it really is different. I think Ashley was more of an experiment for me, and who was I to say no to a girl throwing sex at me? I figured I should, at least, try it out if I'm gonna stick with cock from now on. I know, I know Mom, you hate hearing me talk like that, but this is truth time, right? I guess my biggest problem right now is how to end things with Ashley without it becoming a big deal, and how to find out if Steven is just having fun or if it is more than that. I think I really like him, but I'm so confused."

 

The parents all breath a bit of a sigh of relief. This is the typical parenting issues that come up, nothing like what they were preparing for. How do you prepare to talk about and work around the horrific bashing of one of your dads? So, back to the issue at hand.

 

Lindsay being the good WASP she is started in full-on mothering mode. "Being confused is normal, Gus. It's all part of growing up. Obviously, if you have feelings for Steven, it isn't fair of you to still string Ashley along. Then, why don't you talk to Steven?"

 

"Seriously, Mom? Talk to Steven? I'm not a lesbian, guys don't have to talk everything out. I was thinking maybe I would just kinda mention the prom to him and see if he would have an interest in going. I don't have a problem being seen as gay, but I don't know if he would be so willing to out himself while still in school. I know I've got people who have my back. Always have, Always will. Not everyone is as lucky as me. I get that. I might like him, but I would never force him to out himself just for the prom. I DO remember what happened to Justin, and even though I don't think that would happen, it does scare me a little bit at the same time."

 

"Try not to worry about what happened to me, it isn't the norm. But I agree, you should never push someone to come out if they aren't ready. But if you care for him, you should, at least, see if he likes you too. This isn't one of the fun parts of growing up, but it goes along with all those fun things!" Justin finished with a warm smile that lit up the room, relaxing Gus a little bit more.