- Text Size +

JUSTIN


I followed the new people into my house, liking that Tobey made friends with someone his age. It was hard on Tobey that most of the kids were either older or younger than him. Murph put down the platter he was carrying to say hi to them.


“Hey Lindsay, glad you and Gus made it. With Gus here maybe I can get time to pick Justin’s brain,” He told her.


“I feel bad that we both just came in here without being invited,” She blushed.


“Honey, everyone just comes in here. I was hoping it was the tail Justin’s been waving this at,” Gran told Lindsay, slapping my ass hard this time.


“Gran, stop. Just because he lives next door doesn’t mean it’s some sign,” I told her.


“Tobey, who’s your handsome friend?” Gran asked, ignoring me.


“I’m Gus, Ma’am,” Gus told her.


“What delightful manners you have, we need to do something about those. You’ll never fit in if you don’t learn to disrespect everyone around. We like it when people make us laugh,” She told him, smiling.


“Daddy says that he’ll show me how to piss people off one day,” Gus smirked at her.


“I like your daddy, I’ll have to meet him,” She told him, kissing his head.


“Brian’s Gus’s dad, Mrs. Mitchellson,” Murph answered.


“You might have disappointed me by being straight, but don’t be referring to me as anything but Gran. That goes for all of you,” She told everyone in the room.


“I don’t have a Gran. I have a Deb, but not a Gran,” Gus told her.


“I have a feeling you’ll have me for a Gran more than by name, Sweetie. Yes, I can see it, it’s time to get your education up to date. It’ll have to wait for a day or two, I’m off to see if Denny can show me what Riley thinks he could do,” She told us, kissing everyone on her way out with only her purse.


“Gran, did you forget your suitcase?” I yelled.


“I don’t need anything that isn’t in this purse. I left you some condoms, try to use one or two before I get back,” She yelled, getting in her car.


I didn’t even try to explain Gran to Lindsay. She’ll eventually figure out the dirty old woman with a heart of gold. Lindsay seemed more amused than bothered by Gran.


“How are you and Brian getting along?” Lindsay asked.


“Growly and I have an understanding. He growls and I just keep building my art that will win this year,” I crowed.


“What art?” Lindsay asked.


“Sand art, if you plan on being in this town you have to understand sand art,” I told them both seriously.


“Okay,” Lindsay said slowly, as if amusing the insane person. I put pancakes in front of the boys. Tobey might have eaten, but he can always eat more.


“Can I have blackberry?” Tobey asked.


I pulled out the syrup Gran and I made after Riley and I got torn up picking all the wild berries from the field. I bought that tract of land when someone suggested building on top of it. I’ve been leaving random fruit out there thinking maybe it would grow there. So far, a pear tree and plum trees are growing. I knew I didn’t have to do all the bullshit you see on gardening shows. Gran said that it domesticated the fruit… and really, I have guest time to get out of my head.


“Is this homemade?” Lindsay asked.


“Gran loves to make things, it’s how I learned to cook. She told me recipes were for people with no imagination. I learned how to make practically anything by way the smell of the ingredients compliment each other,” I told her.


“You use your skill as an artist to cook,” Murph commented.


“I never thought of it that way, but yeah, it works,” I answered.


“Justin is the creator of Time Bender, and most of the graphics and animation in a lot of hit movies,” Murph told Lindsay when she looked at him.


“I love Time Bender. Daddy’s friend said it sucked, but he just likes dumb Captain Astro,” Gus told me.


“Michael never got past his childhood hero,” Lindsay told me as if she has to apologize for someone not liking my work.


“Captain Astro wasn’t bad. I just hate the way they only hinted at what was obvious. It didn’t help to make it any less obvious because they hid that the character was gay. With Time Bender, it wasn’t about being gay, but I never hid it. It’s why Captain Astro ended, the author was afraid of who he was. We all create by leaving parts of us in what we do,” I told her.


“It’s true, even though I do ads for campaigns it’s still me in my work,” Murph told us.


Riley comes in and I hand him his fruit and eggs and a towel. Brian was standing there as if he didn’t know whether or not to come in, but he needs to get with the program in this town. I handed him a towel. He sat next to Gus, listening to his son tell him everything he wanted to do while here. I liked that he seemed interested in anything his son told him. I stopped paying such close attention because I wasn’t going to have a summer romance.


“Brian said he wanted to come surfing tomorrow night,” Riley told me, and really, why is fate trying to kill me? I don’t need to see him naked, it just makes it harder to not jump his ass.


“Do you even know how?” Lindsay asked him, trying not to laugh.


“He managed to stand for a whole thirty seconds before we came in,” Riley told her, smiling before laughing at the scowl aimed at him. “Hey, whatever was making you think you needed to blow up my sand got out of your head, I count that as a win,” He told Brian.


“Not everything I wanted to blow got out of my head,” Brian told him, looking at me.


EMMETT


I was packing my stuff, while ignoring Michael pacing in the living room. He’ll get it when I come back from vacation and I’m out of here. I don’t care that nothing Mel and I tried to do last night seemed to get us anywhere. Mel called me after she told Michael to get out, saying she needed to see if she could get someone to give us more than what Ted saw. Right now it would be his word against Michael’s. I was pissed that everyone at the club was more worried about not getting into trouble, and not what Michael did. This is how people end up dead or having things done to them against their will. I heard Michael slam the front door and was just happy to have him gone. When I came home last night, he thought, like always, that it didn’t matter what he did to us. I finished and put the stuff I could fit into Ted’s car and started to his place, but decided to go make sure Michael didn’t try to twist his bullshit to Deb and Vic. I won’t let anyone accuse Brian of anything.


I walked into Deb's only find Vic and Rodney in the kitchen cooking. I was thrilled for Vic, he really needed to get back in the dating scene.


“Emmett, come try this,” Vic told me, handing me a plate of pasta.


I ate a bite. It was great but my appetite was gone. I put it down, rubbing my face and hoping Brian understood why I was doing this.


“I need to tell you something,” I told them and explained what Michael did.


Vic looked down at the table and I could see he didn’t know how to react to it. Hell, I’m angry, but under it all, I don’t understand what could make Michael do something like this.


“Maybe he thought if the deed was done, his belief that Brian would want him would be out there. Michael wants to believe that it’s all that stood in their way.” Vic told me.


“Vic, that’s a fucked up way to get what you want,” I told him.


“I didn’t say it wasn’t, I’m just trying to find a way to explain how giving Brian something that could have killed him could have made sense to Michael,” He told me.


“WHAT!?” I know I wasn’t the only one thinking ‘Fuck me’ when Deb screamed that.


I left it up to Vic to explain because I just didn’t want to think about it anymore. Ted offered to bring me with him, even though I couldn’t afford it. I said yes because I needed to get away from here.


BRIAN


Justin really couldn’t let me go without a hard-on. He left the kitchen saying he needed to clean himself up, but looked over his shoulder at me and licked his lips smirking at me. Lindsay managed to block any way I could follow him and see if I could get him to use that tongue. Riley stood next to me, containing his laughter at all the cockblocking going on.


“Dude, unless you're willing to catch not pitch, you’ll be out of luck. He looks like he would be the catcher, but nope. I mean I’m sure if he trusted someone enough he would, but he likes to control that area,” He whispered.


“Is it okay if Tobey and I go play outside?” Gus asked.


“I’ll come with you, just wait on the steps,” Lindsay told him.


She waited till they went outside and sat across from me. “Brian, you need to call Michael. He was upset that you didn’t invite him here. With everyone else coming you should have told him to come too. He said you two had a disagreement, but wouldn’t explain. He’s been your friend all your life, you can’t let something silly get between you,” She told me, not realizing this was not something she could smooth out.


“Worry about someone who fucking matters,” I yelled, walking out of the kitchen and looking for where Justin disappeared to. I was angry and needed something to keep me from exploding with Gus around. I found him in the hallway and pushed him against the wall. He shoved me back against the other wall and attacked my mouth, grinding himself into me then shoved away from me.


“I hope that helps what’s bothering you, but I’m not going to be the one you use to relieve your anger on,” He told me.


“Then what the hell was what you did?” I asked.


“Showing you what I expect in my men. Not that I see any reason to add you, no matter how much I want to. I want more than to be a trick for someone who won’t be here past the summer,” He told me, smiling as he went back to the kitchen, telling Riley he was going to get food.


I walked back in to the kitchen, growling at Murph that we needed to get to work, not play friendly neighbor. Murph left, and as I started walking out the door Justin stopped me.


“Whatever it is, it’s not here. So let Sandcove work its magic.” He told me.


I crowded him against the door. “The only magic I’ve seen so far is your ability to do this to me,” I whispered in his ear, letting him feel what he does to me.


“You’ve got all the guys of Sandcove for that,” He whispers back, sliding back in the house.


“Jesus, just fuck and get over it you two,” Riley told us.


“SHUT UP!” Both of us yelled at him.


“You know, blue balls is bad for your brain,” He told Justin as I was leaving.


“Riley, I can deal with that on my own. I won’t deal with being someone’s summer fling,” I hear, before going to work.


JUSTIN


I was outside, not really doing anything when Blake showed up. I have been wondering where he’d been. Lately, it’s like he’s everywhere but with Riley and me.


“I haven’t seen you lately,” I told him.


“I needed to deal with something,” He told me, watching Riley surf.


“You know you can talk to me,” I told him.


“I know, but it’s hard when it involves one of us,” He told me.


“You know Riley knows. He just knows he can’t be what you want,” I told him.


“I know, but I needed a break from him. I needed to know that I could go a day without seeing him and not feel like part of me was missing,” He told me.


“Did it work?” I asked.


“Yeah, I think I saw something because I wanted more than a guy for the night,” He answered.


“Even Riley wants more, he just needs someone who can have fun and still rein him in,” I told him.


“The only problem is that you don’t love him,” Blake answered.


“I love him, but he doesn’t growl,” I told him, thinking about the person who does.


“I’ll growl any way you want,” I heard from behind me. I turn as Brian jogged by behind us with Gus and Tobey.


I got up with as much dignity as my hard on allowed and ran into the water diving under. When I came up I stood so Brian could see what he does.


“I like that look. Think you could wear it tomorrow night? I’ve heard all sorts of strange things happen under the full moon,” Brian yelled from the shore.


I turned and showed him a full moon, then ducked under the water, praying the kids weren’t watching. I came up when Riley yanked me.

 

“Blake got the kids to look at him, but you know you’re going to end up with that fling at the rate you two are going. Um, would you mind if I like, hid a camera in your room? I could get hours of spank material with the explosion you two are going to have,” He asked. I shoved him off the board and took off on it.