- Text Size +

 

Tool Belt Man

Chapter 4




Justin had found it difficult to talk to tool belt man on the ride home. He had to stop calling him that. His name was Brian. Anyway, Brian didn't seem very talkative answering with a "Yes" or a "No" and little else. He had learned that Brian had been a handyman for five years hating the factory work that he had been forced to do before that. He liked the freedom of working for himself. They had not discussed Justin's pregnancy at all.

Brian supported Justin as they entered the lobby. The blond was still a little unsteady on his feet. Manny came over and asked if Justin and the baby were all right. Justin nodded and glanced at Brian to see what his reaction was. No change registered on the man's face.

"I can help you up to your room," Manny offered. "Do you think you can climb the stairs?"

"I think so," Justin said, "but I'd be glad of some support."

"I'll take him up," Brian volunteered. "You need to stay on the desk."

Brian began walking Justin to the stairs and they started up slowly. Justin leaned against the handyman smelling the faint odor of cigarettes and sweat and some kind of scent like sandalwood. Justin glanced up to find those golden eyes staring at him.

"Like the smell?" Brian asked with a slight grin.

Without thinking Justin nodded and grinned, then blushed when he realized he had been caught.

"It's all right," Brian laughed. "You give off an interesting … scent too."

Justin blushed deeper. "It's a pheromone … because I'm pregnant."

Justin thought he saw that look of distaste pass across Brian's face and he cringed. It was fleeting and then Brian seemed as solicitous of Justin as he had been before.

Finally they reached the top of the stairs and walked slowly down the hall to Justin's room. Justin fished his key out of his pocket and handed it to Brian. The man opened the door and walked Justin over to the bed helping him sit gingerly down.

"I think you should get into bed," Brian said.

Justin nodded and began pulling off his clothes. He groaned in pain as he tried to raise his arm to take off the T-shirt.

"Wait," Brian said and moved to support the arm as they worked the T-shirt off. "Stand up for a minute." Brian helped Justin up and threw back the covers. "There, lay down."

Justin slid back into the bed and found Brian unzipping his jeans and sliding them, along with his underwear, down his legs. His cock was fully exposed but Brian seemed to be looking at the developing bruises on Justin's chest and arms.

"That fucker really worked you over. I should have taken a hammer to his head."

"You saved me," Justin said wearily. "Thank you."

"I didn't see everything he did to you. I would have made mincemeat of him if I had known."

"I don't need more violence," Justin said sadly. It was love he needed.

"I don't believe in violence either, but when you act like a fucking slug, you deserve to be squashed."

"My hero," Justin said without thinking. He immediately regretted his words as he saw Brian tense up. "I just meant … that I'm glad you were there."

"Sure," Brian said. "I should go so you can sleep." He pulled the covers up over Justin covering the purple blotches on his fair skin and the tantalizing cock that he been trying to keep his eyes off of. His jeans had suddenly got quite a bit tighter.

"Could … could you stay until I fall asleep. I don't want to be alone."

"Well…"

"Please."

"Sure." Brian sat down on the chair by the bed.

"I … you … I…"

"Is that supposed to be a coherent sentence?" Brian asked his tongue in cheek.

Justin giggled. The painkillers must be kicking in. The doctor had given him something not too strong, but enough to let him sleep. He suddenly felt warm and slightly off balance. "I wondered why you didn't ask about the baby," Justin yawned.

"What baby?" Brian asked playing dumb.

"My baby … Jenny."

"She has a name?"

Justin smiled. Brian didn't call the baby an "it" like everybody else did. He said "she".

"Why are you smiling?" Brian asked studying this blond whose naked body had done unexpected things to his cock. He shifted in the chair thinking that he should have left when he had the chance. He didn't need this complication in his life.

"You called the baby 'she'. I like that. I like you," Justin said as his head spun into sleep.

"You don't know me," Brian said standing up and tucking the covers tighter around the now sleeping blond. "You don't know me at all."



-----



Justin awoke from a lovely dream. He had been seated in a swing on the porch of the cottage in his sketchbook. He was holding Jenny and beside him on the swing was Brian. He awoke with a big smile on his face.

He immediately looked around his room, but it was obvious that Brian was gone. He hadn't really expected him to stay all night, but he had kind of hoped.

He looked at the clock and realized he had slept for almost twelve hours. His head was a little fuzzy but he felt better. He threw back the covers and gasped. The side of his chest had a huge black, ugly bruise now fully developed. He moved his left arm and winced. It was where Max had landed most of his kicks. It was swollen and black and blue almost the whole way down. He sat up slowly and tentatively touched the arm. It was hot. Any amount of pressure hurt. How was he going to work looking like this and without being able to use his left arm? He groaned, but pushed himself out of bed and went to piss.

When he came back to the kitchen he pulled out the coffee can with his right hand and managed to put the pot on to brew. He hoped Billy didn't come today. He didn't want to listen to his gloom and doom and told you so's.

He managed to get some clothes on, remembering all the while how sweet Brian had been to help him yesterday. He could hardly believe how gentle and kind the handyman had been. He hoped he would see him today. Just then he heard a knock on the door and went to open it for Billy.

Billy flounced in giving Justin the once over. "I'm surprised you're up," he said bluntly. "It was all over the Quoin about how that guy beat you up. You don't look so bad."

"Is that right?" Justin asked annoyed. He didn't feel all that great since he had started to move around. He wished Billy would go away. Justin raised his shirt and Billy made a face as he saw the ugly bruise.

"Shit, Justin! Are you trying to make me sick to my stomach?"

"I'm just showing you that I did get hurt, so stop telling me I don't look so bad and acting like nothing happened." He could feel tears welling up. He didn't want to fight with Billy. He just wanted him to go away.

"Is it true that you threw up all over that guy?" Billy asked with a laugh.

"It's not fucking funny, Billy. Look, take your coffee to your own room. I need to lie down. I think I might be sick again." He ran to the bathroom and tossed his cookies once more. He had hoped that maybe he was done with that, but apparently not yet.

When he returned to the kitchen Billy was looking into the cupboard where Justin kept the coffee cans. He turned at the sound of Justin returning, a funny look on his face.

"What are you doing?" Justin asked warily.

"Just putting the coffee away for you," he said nonchalantly.

"Aren't you sweet!" Justin said sarcastically knowing what a pig Billy was. He never did anything to help or to clean up.

"Is that your bruises or your baby talking?" Billy asked with a smirk.

Justin felt the tears start. He turned away and said through clenched teeth. "Get the fuck out!"

"No problem," Billy laughed. "You pregnant bitches make lousy company anyway." He grabbed his coffee and slammed the door behind him as he left.

Justin lowered himself onto the bed and let the tears come freely. He pulled a pillow against his stomach and wrapped his arms around it. "I hate him, Jenny," he said. "I wish Brian was here. He was so nice to me. I think I could love him. I need him." The sobs choked off any more words.



-----



Justin awoke to rapping on his door. He sat up and tried to stand. He winced in pain and yelled, "Just a minute."

Slowly he made his way to the door. He pulled it open to find Brian standing there holding a thermos.

"I brought you some chicken soup," he said with a grin.

"Soup?"

"Yeah, you know, it's good for what ails ya'."

"Thanks. Um … would you like to come in?"

"Technically I'm working."

"But it's lunchtime, isn't it?" Justin asked glancing at the clock. It was almost twelve-thirty.

"I guess it is."

"So come in and share some soup with me. I'll even throw in some crackers," Justin coaxed. He so wanted Brian to join him … to love him.

"Sure, okay," Brian said and walked in.

Justin heaved a sigh of relief and went to find some bowls and the crackers. He used his right hand to lift down two bowls. Without his left hand to grab hold of them they started to slip. Suddenly Brian was behind him with his arms reaching around Justin to grab the bowls and set them safely on the counter.

They each felt the exquisite tension of being so close without truly touching. "You saved me again," Justin said staring into those golden eyes.

"Let's not make it a habit."

"Um … no." However, that was exactly what Justin wanted. Brian could save him anytime and every time.

They sat down to the soup and ate in silence for a bit. Justin wondered what he could use to break the ice and get Brian talking.

"Brian, Justin," came out almost at the same time.

"You first," Brian said.

"I wanted to thank you for taking me to the hospital and waiting for me. I…um…missed you when you weren't here this morning."

Brian said nothing for a minute. "Justin, I don't want you to feel that you owe me thanks or … anything. I helped because you needed it. No other reason."

"No…other…reason?" Justin asked hating the sound of those words. "I thought you…"

"Don't say anything more. I shouldn't have come here today. I think you have the wrong impression."

"What? That you're kind and gentle and caring."

"I'm not. I'm … not any of those things."

"Yes, you are. I saw that yesterday."

"No," Brian said shaking his head.

Justin reached out his hand and touched Brian's arm. They both felt that little jolt at the contact. Brian flinched and drew away. "I … like you. Don't pull away."

"I have to go," Brian said and was out the door before Justin could beg him to stay.

"What happened?" Justin said rubbing his belly. "Jenny, we have to find out what's going on with Brian. Something's wrong."

Justin finished his soup. He wanted to go after Brian but he wasn't sure he was ready to tackle the stairs by himself. He thought maybe he should give Brian some time to cool off. He knew there was an attraction between them. He felt it every time they were near each other. He was pretty sure Brian felt it too.

So what was going on? Why was Brian so stand-offish? Justin had given him lots of opportunities, had made it very clear that he was interested. He needed to talk to the man and find out what was going on.

He switched on the sound system and heard his song start up.

"In the year 5555
Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you"

That was him, helpless, armless, legless. He could barely get around, but he didn't have a machine to do stuff for him. He had thought for a bit that he might have Brian to help him and look after him, but that seemed less likely after their encounter this morning. He'd just rest for a bit and then he'd try to find Brian.

When Justin awoke it was almost six o'clock. His stomach rumbled ominously. He hoped there was still some soup left. He knew there was little else to eat in his tiny fridge or in the cupboard.

The sound system was still playing and he heard the verse of his song that resonated with him now.

"In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long black tube"

Justin wondered about the husband and wife part. He still wanted a partner but he didn't know if he'd ever have one. His daughter hadn't come from a tube, except maybe the broken latex tube, but he knew she would be great. She would be exactly what he would have chosen if he'd had that ability. He smiled to himself and felt suddenly better.

He wanted Brian, wanted Brian to want him, but if he didn't he still had Jenny and they would be fine together. He'd make it work.

He ate some soup and realized that his arm didn't hurt so much. It seemed like some of the swelling might have decreased.

Tomorrow he would find Brian and maybe they could talk. He needed to know if there was any hope for them.