- Text Size +

 

Part 13



Justin was sitting behind the table with Jack as he signed comic books of the fans that had been standing in line all day.  They had laughed and chatted like old friends all morning, so when Justin drove Jack to the convention, he’d invited the blond to hang out.  Now they sat together talking about other comics and the weird people who dressed up like their favorite characters.  They had seen more than thirty grown men in Captain Comet outfits that day; Justin kept count.



“Justin?”



The previous fan had moved away from the table and suddenly Michael was standing at the table.



“Michael.”



Jackson looked back and forth between the two men.  “Is this the friend that Brian was talking about last night?”



Justin smirked.  “He’s the one.”



Michael’s ears perked up.  “Brian talked about me?”



“He said you were a huge fan of Jackson’s,” Justin said ruefully.



“I am,” Michael said as he suddenly remembered why he was there.  He gave his comic to Jack to sign and they talked for a brief moment about the characters and plots.  When his time was up, Michael turned back to Justin.  “Do you think Brian would…”



Justin shook his head sadly at Michael’s complete inability to recognize his culpability.  “You know what he wants.  He won’t budge until you do it.”



“But you could…”



“But I won’t,” Justin said coolly.  “I’m sorry Michael.  What you did… you need to make it right or he won’t let it go.  I haven’t asked that of him, but I’m not going to discourage him either.”



Michael scowled at Justin and stomped off like a kid who had been denied his favorite toy.  Justin sighed and waited for Jack to finish with the last few people in line.



“What was that all about?” Jack asked after they were left alone.  That afternoon had been just for the VIP’s and store owners, so Jack was finished for the day.  The publisher’s rep was already cleaning up their booth and waving Jack off.



“That was Brian’s best friend Michael,” Justin sighed.



“I take it that all is not well between them,” Jack said mildly.



Justin chuckled.  “You could say that.  Brian and I met when I was 17 and from day one Michael couldn’t stand me.  But Brian is Brian and ignored his pettiness.  Then Brian went off to New York and I was left alone.  Literally.  I’d been tossed out by my father after I came out and was living with Michael’s mother.  Michael convinced all of the friends I thought cared about me to shun me after Brian left.  Debbie was still there for me, but… Well I went off to school and put it all in the past until Brian and I met up again last year.”



“I take it Brian figured out what his friend had done?” Jack asked.



“That’s the gist,” Justin said.  “Brian has explained to Michael several times that he needs to apologize and try to make amends.  Michael doesn’t see that he did anything wrong.  The others have all apologized, and we’ve come to a sort of peace, but Michael refuses and Brian won’t let him back into his life until he does.  He says he doesn’t want to be friends with anyone who would hurt me like that.”



“He’s in love with Brian?” Jack wanted to know.



Justin chuffed a laugh.  “Has been since they were fourteen.  He’s married to a really great guy, a Gay Studies and Literature professor, but he still obsesses over Brian.”



“I’m sorry,” Jack said sincerely.



Justin shrugged.  “Personally, I can’t stand the little twerp, but Brian loves him and misses him.  I just wish Michael could find his way out of his ass long enough to do the right thing.  I’ll forgive him if he just fucking apologizes.  I’d do it for Brian’s sake.”



“How’s his husband taking all this?” Jack asked.



“He’s trying to give Michael a map and a flashlight so he can find his way, but…”



“Has to be hard on their marriage,” Jack said.



“Yeah,” Justin agreed.  They had arrived at Justin’s SUV and climbed in.  “Why don’t you and Frank come over for dinner tonight?”



Jack really wanted to accept.  “I don’t know.  Brian and Frank have that meeting tomorrow.  Will he be okay with us invading tonight?”



“I’ll call him,” Justin decided.  Brian picked up his private line on the second ring.  “Brian, I want to invite Jack and Frank for dinner at the loft.”



There was silence on the other end of the line and Justin could tell that Brian was weighing all the factors in his head.  Would he be finished in time? Was he prepared to spend another evening with a potential client?  What would they eat?



“I can’t get out of here until 630,” Brian said.  “Why don’t you ask them to come at 8?”



“That’s perfect,” Justin said with a bright smile.  “Thank you.”



“Will you need me to pick up anything on the way home?” Brian asked.



“A couple bottles of red wine,” Justin said.  “And I think you’re almost out of scotch.  The rest I’ll get.”



“Alright,” Brian said.  “Later.”



“Later,” Justin echoed and then turned back to Jack.  “How’s 8 sound?”



“Great,” Jack said with a grin.



BJBJBJBJBJ



Justin checked the lasagna and removed the foil cover just as Brian walked through the front door.  “You’re late.” Justin’s tone was saccharine sweet.



“I know,” Brian said in an echoing tone.  “I had a last minute crisis with the boards for tomorrow.”  He was already in the bedroom and stripping his clothes off.  “Dinner smells great.  I’m going to hit the shower before they come.”



“Hurry,” Justin said.  “You’ve only got fifteen minutes.  That’s assuming they aren’t early.”



Brian’s voice drifted out from the bathroom.  “Justin?  Why is Randy in our bathtub?”



“Because he likes it there,” Justin said.  He finished buttering the garlic bread and set it aside.  He wiped his hands on a towel and walked up to the bathroom.  “He likes this room and he likes getting baths.”



“Well he’s not taking a shower with me so get him out of here,” Brian complained as he put the shower on to heat up.



Justin chuckled and grabbed Randy’s collar.  “Let’s go.  You can have a bath tomorrow.  I’ll even take you to the groomers.”



“You aren’t going to let them dress up Harry this time,” Brian said from behind the glass walls of the shower.  “Last time you took them to the groomers, Harry came back with a vest that would make Emmett gag.”



“It wasn’t that bad,” Justin argued.  “I thought it was cute.”



“No playing dress up with my dog,” Brian ordered.  “You can queen up Randy all you want, but leave Harry alone.”



“Yes, your highness.”



Justin flipped Brian the bird and walked back out to the kitchen.  He grabbed the bag with the wine in it that Brian had left on the counter on his way past.  The wine was good and would match well with the pasta.  He’d have to get Brian at least a little drunk tonight or he’d hear him bitching for hours after Frank and Jack left about the carbs Justin was using to poisoning him.  He opened both bottles to let them breathe.  He had a couple bottles of less impressive wine still in the wine cabinet, but he’d wait to see if they needed them before he opened those.



Brian was just entering the bedroom when the buzzer rang.  “Shit.”



“It will take a couple minutes for them to get up here,” Justin said.  “Just throw something on.”



Brian glared at his lover.  It was a look that said a lot of bad words silently.



Justin chuckled and let their guests in before turning back to Brian.  “Tonight is supposed to be casual and relaxing.  Put on some jeans and a shirt.  You look good no matter what you’re wearing.”



“That’s the way to kiss ass,” Brian said.  He emerged from the bedroom and met Justin near the front door.  He gave his lover a deep and soulful kiss.  “How was your day, dear?”



“Just peachy,” Justin said.  “I saw Michael at the convention.”  Brian looked like he wanted to ask what happened, but just then there was a knock.  “I’ll tell you later.”



Brian drew the heavy door back to reveal not their invited guests, but Michael.  “Aw fuck.” Brian muttered as he turned away to pour himself a scotch.  The dogs started growling at the intruder and Justin sent them to lie down.  “What do you want, Mikey?”



Michael looked back and forth between Brian and Justin.  “I saw Justin today and… When did you buy back the loft?  You decorated differ this time, but I like it.”



“I didn’t buy the loft back,” Brian said.  Justin gave his lover a smirk but said nothing as he went to take the lasagna out of the oven.  “Justin did.”



Michael frowned at Justin.  “You bought his loft?”



“I got it for a song, too,” Justin bragged.  “Want to see the additions I’ve made?  No?  Okay then.  Glad you could stop by.  Don’t let the door hit you on the ass on your way out!”



Brian couldn’t help but chuckle at Justin’s antics.  “What do you want Mikey.  We have guests coming and I’d rather you were gone when they get here.”



“Too late,” Jack said ruefully from the doorway that was still open.  “Sorry, the door was open.”



“It’s fine,” Justin said.  “Here, let me take your coats and then we can give Frank a tour while Brian deals with Mikey.”



“Sounds like a plan,” Frank said with good grace.  “I’d love to see the art that Jack has been gushing over.”



While they chatted and Brian poured wine for them, Michael stood stock still and just watched the interplay.  Justin was leading their guests towards the back hall when Michael seemed to to come to himself.  “I’m sorry!”



Justin froze with his back to the room and took a deep breath.



“Mikey, this isn’t the time,” Brian said quietly.



“No, you’ve been telling me that I have to make things right,” Michael said.  “Well there’s no time like the present.”



“Sure there is,” Brian said drolly.  “There’s tomorrow.  There’s next week…”



“I’m sorry,” Michael said again, louder as though Justin couldn’t hear him from across the room.



“I heard you the first time,” Justin muttered.  Justin turned to Jack.  “Would you mind?”



“I think Frank and I can entertain ourselves for a few minutes,” Jack said with genuine sympathy.



“The view from the deck isn’t the greatest, but it is nice this time of day,” Brian suggested.



Frank nodded, “That’s a fine idea.”  The two men went to the French doors and out onto the deck.



Justin watched Jack close the door behind them and then turned to Michael.  “You always have to have your way.  Fine.  You’ve made our guest uncomfortable and interrupted our evening so you could have your say.  So say it.  What exactly are you sorry for?”



“I’m sorry I told them to shut you out,” Michael said.  His voice was quiet, but his tone still held a wealth of resentment.  “I blamed you for Brian leaving and I wanted you gone.  I wanted you to hurt the way I was hurting.”



“You don’t know pain,” Justin said sadly.  “You don’t have a fucking clue what you did to me. You think I wasn’t hurt by Brian leaving.  He was my whole fucking world!  I needed friends who would support me, but what I got instead were unreturned calls and the cold shoulder.  I had no one!  No family left.  No friends left.  No lover.  I was so fucking alone and in so much fucking pain that I…”



Brian had moved to hold Justin who was now shaking.



Michael asked, “What did you do?”



Justin shook his head.  “It doesn’t matter now.  You say you’re sorry.  Fine.  I’ll forgive you because Brian, for some reason, still cares about you.  I’ll forgive you because I love Debbie too much to let this feud go on forever.  I’ll forgive you because I forgave the others.  But you and I will never be friends, Michael.  We’ll see each other at parties and say polite words to each other, but there will never be more than that.  I don’t trust you and I don’t like you.



“You came here to apologize,” Justin continued.  “But not because you’re truly sorry for what you did.  You’re sorry that your actions cost you Brian’s respect and trust.  I’ll forgive you, but you’ll have to earn his trust back all on your own.”



Brian squeezed Justin in his arms and the blond reached up to kiss his partner before he stepped away.  He picked up his wine glass and took it out to the deck to entertain their guests.



“Fuck, Mikey,” Brian sighed.  “You just can’t seem to get it right, can you?”



“Why won’t the little shit just let it go?” Mikey said.



Brian scoffed at his friend’s ignorance.  “Let it go Mikey.  He’s given you as much as he can.  Take it and run with it.”



“But… what about us?” Michael asked.  “Are we friends again?”



Brian sighed.  “Mikey, I’ll always love you.  You know that.  But Justin is my partner and I’ll do what I can to keep him from hurting.  You refrain from talking about him or doing anything to hurt him and we can be friends.  But it won’t ever be what it used to be.  Justin’s right.  I lost respect for you.  How am I supposed to trust a grown man who would kick an innocent kid when’s already hurting?”
“But I apologized,” Michael muttered in bewilderment.



“And sometimes words just aren’t enough to erase the pain you cause,” Brian said sadly.  “Go home, Mikey.  Talk it out with your husband.  He’s a smart guy.  I’ll call you next week after…all this other stuff is settled.  Okay?”



“Yeah, okay,” Michael said.  He wasn’t sure if he should be happy with the outcome of their talk or not.  He really would need to talk it over with Ben.  “You’ll call?”



“Tuesday,” Brian promised.  “We’ll talk then.”



Michael got ready to go, but turned back to hug Brian.  The taller man allowed it and hugged his friend back, but there was none of the intimacy that they had once shared.  And when Michael finally left, all Brian could feel was relief that he was gone.