- Text Size +

Justin:

"Gus? Why should we discuss Gus?" he asked me confused.

"Easy, silly, we can't let them take away your son" I replied, trying to sound as normal as I could. As if I weren't talking about starting a fight that will surely end up in court, because with Mel's unreasonable hate for Brian it will, and might end up tearing our family apart. I just wish that most of them will end up in our side "We need to restore your rights as Gus' father soon and stop them from making the worst decision they had ever made. How can they even think of running away to Canada, because that's what they are doing! They are acting out of fear and being irrational, it's not as if their problems will just go away because they left Pittsburgh! It's like when they demanded you to give up your rights so they would stop fighting, the stupid excuse they gave everyone about how you didn't want to be a father..." I felt bad for saying that, especially when I noticed Brian flinch in response, but I kept quiet for so long that I need to finally say what I have been keeping hidden "... and that Melanie needed to have her rights as Gus' mother. That's bullshit! She could have done that without taking away yours!"

 

I had to stand up and pace, trying to calm myself down. Otherwise, I will surely get dressed and drive towards their house to give them a piece of my mind. I absentmindedly noticed Brian rising, but still on the floor, looking at me with a shocked expression. Although I knew that i had to calm down before I ruined things with Brian, for moments like this when things get to real he usually pushes me off the Kinney cliff, I couldn't... I just couldn't stop myself. I loathed how they used Brian for his money and to show off (Lindsay) or put him down in front of his own son out of fear that your wife will one day leave you for him (Melanie). I once used to admire them, they were like older sisters to me and I know they feel the same about me. But I can't continue to overlook how irrational and childishly they act sometimes. This time they are not only ruining their lives, or Brian's, but the kids' as well. I can't let that happen.

 

"At the end of the day that didn't stop them from cheating or splitting up or fighting, you did that in vain. The worst is that I knew how hard it was for you... and no one ever cared! They just saw it as you taking a weight off your shoulders, but I know that you did that to give your son the best life he could ever wish for. A life that you would have liked someone to have chosen for you. Giving up your child, for the good reasons, is the most admirable thing someone can do... and the hardest. But then again... no one cared" I knew that there were tears running down my cheeks, that this same behavior is the one that Brian hates the most. But I couldn't stop, I had kept myself quiet for too long... but not anymore.

 

"And now... now they want to take him away again! But this isn't about just you, it's about the kids' as well. What will happen to poor JR who is just a baby and will not have the experience of living with a constant paternal figure? I don't care what the hell Debbie thinks about how important mothers are for the babies, so are the fathers! Poor Debbie, she had bad luck and suffered a lot raising Micheal on her own. I'm not saying it isn't admirable, it is. But she can't treat fathers as if they aren't worth the child's time. It hurts!" I had to stop to take deep breaths.

 

I started to feel dizzy; I might be hyperventilating. Brian rapidly got on his feet and rushed to my side, trying to make me calm down and stop talking. But I couldn't... I couldn't stay silent again. So shook him off and headed to the other side of the room... and the room is big! So I can have enough space between us to be able to continue talking "And the girls... do they even have jobs there? Do they know that Melanie will have to study law again so she can work in Canada? Do they even have a stable home to put the kids in? I know that they have savings, but are they enough to raise two kids and move to a new country where there is no family to help them, or jobs to take a salary, or to pay for their new house. Do they even know what they are doing? Or are they rushing into things like the whole gang seems to love to do?!" the last part was dripping with sarcasm, but I couldn't handle it anymore. Not just because they are hurting the whole family with their actions, or hurting Brian, I love Gus as a son and his moving to Canada breaks my heart into a million pieces.

 

"I don't have the best record, they will never chose me over the munchers" Brian finally said, breaking the awkward silence that was created after I stopped talking.

 

I hated the girls at that moment for putting that resigned expression in his face, for making him experience as once again his family let him down. However, this time worse because he truly believed and trusted this family. I will make sure that the girls get the help they need to get back to the big sisters I once loved so deeply.

 

"You will if you attack now" I replied.