- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

I called my mother and let her know where to come. She showed up with a grownup surly Molly, in tow. I guess I couldn’t count Molly as a fan. My mom nearly hugged the breath out of me, while Molly stomped on by and sat down in a huff.

 

“I’m glad to see you too,” I tell her.

 

“Really, it must be so hard to have stayed away,” Molly tells me.

 

“Molly,” Mom warns.

 

“What? I’m supposed to care that he wanted to see us? Is he suddenly the good son for bothering to call, years after we could have used his help.” She spits at me.

 

“He didn’t know what was happening.” My mom tells her.

 

“Who’s fault is that?” Molly tells her.

 

“Mine for not sticking by your brother when your father threw him out. If I had, he wouldn’t have had the chance to throw us out on the street.” My mom tells her.

 

“What do you mean he threw you out on the street?” I ask.

 

“Dad kicked us out when he decided mom wasn’t perfect wife material. I got to go with her when his new wife didn’t want any reminders of Mom. When Mom tried to call you she got kicked in the teeth, again.” She tells me.

 

“It wasn’t that bad, we had a place to live. It might not have been what you were used to, but it wasn’t the streets.” Mom tells her.

 

“What happened?” I ask.

 

“We ended up living in a shitty apartment. Dad paid for me to go to school, which was a nightmare when people found out where we lived. All the while you lived like a king, ignoring us.” Molly tells me.

 

“How is that Justin’s fault?” Brian asks, bringing Ryan out from his nap.

 

“I don’t know. It’s just easier to be mad at him.” Molly tells him.

 

“Yeah, why be mad at the father who threw you out of your home? That makes a lot of sense.” Brian throws at her.

 

“Brian,” I warn.

 

“I’m just trying to figure out how it’s your fault your father kicked them out. Is it because after being kicked out Justin didn’t sit around bitching but made something of himself?” He asks Molly.

 

“No bad words,” Ryan tells him.

 

“No bad words,” Brian promises him.

 

“Cute kid,” Molly tells him, smiling.

 

“I think he looks a lot like me,” Brian tells Ryan.

 

“My tummy…” Ryan smiles at Brian when he finishes it for him.

 

“Is hungry? Auntie Lindsay left some cookies if you eat your carrots. Molly why not entertain someone who acts your age.” Brian tells her, going to the kitchen.

 

“Are you guys alright?” I ask when Molly didn’t argue, just ignored Brian by playing with her phone.

 

“I’m doing well, and life is getting back to normal. You know what it’s like when the kids thought you were different from them… I didn’t mean because…” She stops, trying to find an excuse.

 

“It’s true, the kids who were your friends one day turn on you in the next if they think your situation changed or you were different,” I tell her.

 

“She’s got better friends now, she just missed you.” She tells me.

 

“Really, I can tell,” I tell her.

 

“Your Brian seems nice.” She changes the subject.

 

“He not what I expected when I met him. A lot of people don’t surprise me anymore, yet he seems to constantly do the opposite of what I expect.” I tell her.

 

“You love him?” She asks me.

 

“I want to, but it’s like something holds me back,” I tell her.

 

“Not everyone will disappoint you the way your father and I did. I should have fought harder.” She tells me.

 

“My life turned out pretty good despite Dad. Sounds like yours did too. I don’t plan on being here very long, but I would love a chance for my son to know his grandmother.” I tell her.

 

“What?” She asks, looking straight at Ryan, who is giggling at Molly making faces.

 

“I’m trusting you with the secret I’ve kept from the world. Hopefully, you’ll surprise me too.” I tell her.

 

Molly looked up when Mom came over and stared into my son’s face. “He looks just like you,” Mom tells me.

 

“You had a kid too? I guess we really weren’t important to you.” Molly yelled as she ran out the door.

 

“Stay here, get to know Ryan,” I tell her, running after Molly.

 

“Justin, she’s in Brian’s loft. I thought it would be better than you running the streets.” Drew tells me when I was about to run past him and head outside.

 

I walked into Brian’s place to see Molly pacing and most likely angrier that Drew stopped her. I couldn’t help but think she turned out more beautiful than even I could imagine. Angry, but beautiful, someday I might need to invest in bodyguards to keep the boys at bay.

 

“You want to know the thing I hated most when I left. That I didn’t get to see you grow up into the person standing in front of me. I can deal with you being mad at me for leaving, but it kills me that you think I forgot you for even a second, Mollusk.” I tell her.

 

“I didn’t hate you for leaving, you didn’t have a choice. I’m angry that you never called or tried to see me.” She tells me.

 

“I don’t have any great excuse, I just couldn’t come back here. I didn’t want Dad pissed at you or Mom for still having anything to do with me.” I tell her.

 

“He hates that you didn’t come running back.” She tells me.

 

“Molly, he hates me, you can say it. Not saying it doesn’t change the truth.” I tell her.

 

“Ryan would probably give him a heart attack, too bad we can’t tell him.” She giggles.

 

“I need Ryan to stay a secret, I want him to have as normal of a life as he can,” I tell her.

 

“If you need me to help, then I’ll make sure no one finds out. Hey, did you see the new YouTube sensation?” She asks.

 

“I never really watched YouTube,” I tell her as we got back upstairs.

 

“I’m sure the chick running from the bull is wishing YouTube was never created.” She tells me.

 

 

RITA

 

“Why is everyone looking at us like that?” I ask when we were walking into the restaurant.

 

At every table, they were giggling when Patrick and I walked by. I saw one of the reporters, Luke, who kissed my ass for providing him with most of Justin’s information. Even he was laughing at something when we sat down. The waitress of this subpar establishment stood looking at us like we were below her standards for clientele.

 

“I’ll have a fruit plate, hopefully not everything on the menu is a nightmare,” I tell her.

 

“It must be a nightmare for you to know Jus T just announced to the world he fired your firm and is planning to sue you for harassment. Care to comment on that? Or on how you seem to think the nice people in this town are redneck idiots, don’t you Patrick?” Luke asks us.

 

“What are you talking about, Jus T is on vacation,” I tell him.

 

“He said that’s the only thing you got right according to his new management company. There’s a rumor some of your other clients are planning on walking too. I’m actually looking forward to not having to deal with you.” He tells us, getting up and leaving.

 

“Find out what they’re talking about, while I find out who Jus hired,” I tell Patrick, getting up to leave when the waitress returned with toast and gravy slapping in front of us.

 

“Figured you two might not have gotten enough of stepping in shit last night. I like to call this shit on a shingle, might as well cover you in shit for what you’re trying to do to that boy.” She yells at us.

 

“So I guess Justin was here,” I yell back, so the reporters can hear.

 

“I wouldn’t know, just it sounds like he’s better off that he fired your ass. It’s funny that these people followed a woman who seems to think this Jus should pay for not wanting you in his life.” She yells back.

 

I looked around and could see the story in their eyes. I turned to get out before anyone thought of a way to scoop this. I opened the door to the reporter I sent here, screaming questions at me, asking if it was true that all my premier clients were leaving after seeing the video on YouTube. My phone started going off with texts.

 

“Rita, I just got off the phone with your receptionist,” Patrick whispers as we finally get in my car.

 

“And?” I ask, trying to get out of here.

 

“Most of your clients have their lawyers calling for meetings on whether they want to stay with an agent who retaliates because a client leaves you.” He tells me, just adding to my nightmare.